• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

D23

Did brayflox last night for the very first time. Playing as scholar.. goddamn at that last boss. I'm sweating. No one died luckily but that was intense

SRTtoZ

In theory I don't have a problem with atma farming, but its just not fun. You get nothing out of it besides a small chance of finding an atma. Maybe if they scaled XP and let me spiritbond or something...

I'm like 5 hours in with 3 Atma to show for it...ugh.

Ken

In theory I don't have a problem with atma farming, but its just not fun. You get nothing out of it besides a small chance of finding an atma. Maybe if they scaled XP and let me spiritbond or something...

I'm like 5 hours in with 3 Atma to show for it...ugh.

chocobo XP tho...

For most of the dungeons and boss fights in the game, detailed communication is not really necessary, as long as everyone involved is familiar with the dungeon and knows what they are doing. Even the big 24 man raid in the game can be done with only minimal organizing (mostly tanks volunteering for specific tasks). The big end-game super dungeon, the Binding Coil, might be different, however.

On the other hand, I strongly, strongly recommend getting a USB keyboard for chat purposes. It will make talking to everyone easier, not just the limited number of people using voice chat. There are not any global voice chat systems built into the game anyways; those who do use voice chat use 3rd party programs such as Mumble. It always helps to have a keyboard and be able to communicate if you are unfamiliar with something in a dungeon or questing. And at level 32, you are about to hit the Sunken Temple, which has a few tricks, and asks much more out of DPS than some previous dungeons.

However, I don't think there is any advantage to switching to keyboard and mouse controls. The controller works very well for the game. I use keyboard and mouse when playing since I use a PC, but my brother playing on a PS3 has never had any difficulty running the high-end content.

The big trick of the the game though is to always ask people for advice if you are unfamiliar with a dungeon. Be honest and open if it is your first time running through a dungeon, or you are unfamiliar with something. The game has a lot of tricky bosses, and they are only going to get more complex the further you go. It helps to know what you need to do.

Thanks, I just bought that wireless keyboard so I should be ok on that front.
I've been reading up on dungeons on the IGN guide before I run them since I wiped on Ifrit for not realising the nail was a thing.

I always feel a huge pressure in co-op games not to screw everyone over so I'll be doing my research and be up front with questions.

I've gotten a couple of commendations so far though which felt pretty good.

Sorian

Banned
Thanks, I just bought that wireless keyboard so I should be ok on that front.
I've been reading up on dungeons on the IGN guide before I run them since I wiped on Ifrit for not realising the nail was a thing.

I always feel a huge pressure in co-op games not to screw everyone over so I'll be doing my research and be up front with questions.

I've gotten a couple of commendations so far though which felt pretty good.

The way you play already makes you better than 90% of the population. Thank you.

draw4wild

Is there anything special I have to do to get my 1.0 character back when I jump in on PS4? Or will she be there once I put in my account info? I've never resubbed for the rerelease and I havent found any current info regarding 1.0 characters

Kunan

This thread made me realize it came out two weeks ago. Time to saddle up! Got the PS3 version during the christmas sale, and just upgraded to PS4 last night! Pretty stoked. The beta was entertaining, and I look forward to running around :)

Aeana

Is there anything special I have to do to get my 1.0 character back when I jump in on PS4? Or will she be there once I put in my account info? I've never resubbed for the rerelease and I havent found any current info regarding 1.0 characters

Your 1.0 character will be on whatever server you left it on. You can transfer it to any server you wish for $18.

Jayhawk

After discovering that you can macro toggling different UI elements on and off, I want to add some complexity to my UI. Does anybody know of a full list of macro icons?

For example, I will setup a macro on a common hotbar that toggles whether or not the active quest UI window and other UI elements that I don't need to see all the time are displayed or not (bypassing the need to go to the HUD layout window when I want to make a change). I would like to give these macros decent icons instead of simple grey squares. Down the line, I will incorporate this into my class/job-change hotbar entries since some classes/jobs require fewer hotbars.

aceface

It really, really is. I can't wait until I unlock SCH and I can ditch it.

You'll end up using summoner a lot for solo stuff cause it's so much faster to beat stuff than scholar is. Also you get your own personal tank. And two sets of AF gear. This is why arcanist is best class.

Sounds perfect! Thank you.

woop
KDpyBkw.png

No problem, it helps a ton now that I've joined an fc...Game on my friend

Teknoman

Man, I was enjoying myself before, but I should have started leveling up other classes earlier. This is amazing, there's so many potential ways to customize your class preference now with the add-on abilities. I feel like a kid in a candy store with all my potential customization options.

And there is never like even a second I don't have stuff to do. Leveling up all my jobs and crafts is one thing, but leveling up my fighting Chocobo (i didn't even know this was a thing before I stumbled on the quest), doing all the Grand Company stuff, I PvP'd all morning and won most of my matches, levequests, duty rolls, fates.

This game is like an OCD nightmare, but it's right up my alley. Stats and fucking customization. All day long, brudduhs.

I just hope they take materia customization deeper than what it is now.

CT 2 is a failure if I don't monks suplexing trains.

iAM0ljWXwJbuJ.gif

jiggle

Are there anything worst than backseat players?
4ppl handling post heart titan perfectly fine
the other 4 always-deads spamming chat
"Healer lb!"
"Mage lb!"
If only I had an extra pair of hands to tell them to stfu

Happened quite a few times already
Reaaaallly starting to get on my nerve
/rant

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Got my Relic and 3 pieces of Onion Armor. Woot!

I'll have to do some Brayflox HM runs tonight to reach my soldiery cap.

Unknown Soldier, I know what you were going through with playing the game on a VT60. I was playing the ps4 beta on it and felt like I was playing with fire.

Useful stuff. Doesn't like Fracture

Useful Stuff. Fracture fanboy

Thanks for the responses. I was saving my Berserk for when I was already infuriated, but it makes sense to use it before. Everything else is more or less the same as what I thought. Except Fracture.

I followed the DRG / Fracture debate and was pretty convinced it was useless there. However I thought that with 30 seconds it would be a sure DPS gain on a Warrior. Then again I remember it being super useful at low levels, but lately the tick is so small that I can't feel any notable difference whether I use it or not or random mobs while soloing. I would definitely like to learn more.

Neither of you mentioned Brutal Swing. Lately I've been saving it to stop a boss AoE attack (especially the full circle ones) so I don't need to dodge and waste time. The alternative is using it every 20 seconds. I honestly don't know what's a better approach here, but I'm liking stopping the attacks. Of course other party members start to rely on that and then I won't have it up in time and it could be trouble.

After discovering that you can macro toggling different UI elements on and off, I want to add some complexity to my UI. Does anybody know of a full list of macro icons?

For example, I will setup a macro on a common hotbar that toggles whether or not the active quest UI window and other UI elements that I don't need to see all the time are displayed or not (bypassing the need to go to the HUD layout window when I want to make a change). I would like to give these macros decent icons instead of simple grey squares. Down the line, I will incorporate this into my class/job-change hotbar entries since some classes/jobs require fewer hotbars.

This is really interesting. I'd love to learn more about the macro system (i.e. all the possible commands). I'd really like a macro to filter out the FC chat while I'm on a dungeon and then get it back after. It's a pain going on the settings page.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Thanks for the responses. I was saving my Berserk for when I was already infuriated, but it makes sense to use it before. Everything else is more or less the same as what I thought. Except Fracture.

I followed the DRG / Fracture debate and was pretty convinced it was useless there. However I thought that with 30 seconds it would be a sure DPS gain on a Warrior. Then again I remember it being super useful at low levels, but lately the tick is so small that I can't feel any notable difference whether I use it or not or random mobs while soloing. I would definitely like to learn more.

Neither of you mentioned Brutal Swing. Lately I've been saving it to stop a boss AoE attack (especially the full circle ones) so I don't need to dodge and waste time. The alternative is using it every 20 seconds. I honestly don't know what's a better approach here, but I'm liking stopping the attacks. Of course other party members start to rely on that and then I won't have it up in time and it could be trouble.

This is really interesting. I'd love to learn more about the macro system (i.e. all the possible commands). I'd really like a macro to filter out the FC chat while I'm on a dungeon and then get it back after. It's a pain going on the settings page.

Brutal swing is simple.
If the enemy needs to be stunned save brutal swing.
If the enemy doesn't need to be stunned, use it as soon as it is up.

zewone

About to hit level 50 with my DRG tonight.

Guess the first thing I'll have to do is beat the game after that.

Pretty excited to see what all the fuss is about with the end game. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Garuda story fight was a lot of fun. Wiped about ten times because of an extremely bad healer who wasn't hiding behind piller.

Changed group and won first time with ease. Then got an absolutely amazing cutscene.

Random note - chocobo XP needs patched. 1/4 at least of what is required now. It's ridiculous.

Teknoman

Garuda story fight was a lot of fun. Wiped about ten times because of an extremely bad healer who wasn't hiding behind piller.

Changed group and won first time with ease. Then got an absolutely amazing cutscene.

Random note - chocobo XP needs patched. 1/4 at least of what is required now. It's ridiculous.

Yeah even with the challenge log. I just want to white mage up my chocobo >_<

Korezo

Got my Relic and 3 pieces of Onion Armor. Woot!

I'll have to do some Brayflox HM runs tonight to reach my soldiery cap.

Unknown Soldier, I know what you were going through with playing the game on a VT60. I was playing the ps4 beta on it and felt like I was playing with fire.

Lol Panasonic has to make some of the worst TVs when it comes to image retention. I can never play this game on it anymore so I only play in remote play on the vita or plug my monitor. My friend also has a Panasonic and the same problem. If you play a game on panasonics the damn image retention doesn't leave until weeks or months. My friend that has a Samsung never has image retention problems. Stressful tv, can't even enjoy a lot of games on it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Things that need added or fixed in this game that likely won't be, but whatever I'll make a list.

Companion Chocobo should not interfere with trying to join a duty. (Heard this would get fixed soon)

More Companions. A Couerl would be nice. Since the
Magitek Armor
is sentient, that would be nice too.

Mount attacks would be nice. Could finally feel like Terra from FF6.

Make it so that you can mount any mount even with a companion out. Hell if I'd have it my way I'd allow you to ride the Fat Chocobo while your Chocobo Companion is still out in the field. I'm guessing they would blame the PS3 version though.

Minions are allowed to be out even when a Companion is summoned. Likely going to be blamed on PS3 version for why this isn't allowed.

All Unique equipment should be allowed to be put in the Armoire. Isn't likely to happen since they want to sell extra retainers. Probably the easiest thing in the game to fix.

A bank that is specifically tied to each of your characters on a server. Some people just like playing Alts and it would actually support Low Level Dungeons not being barren. Would be more prudent if Equipment wasn't broken in this game. Basically a Bind on Account system.

Give the option for Alts to get the EXP bonus as long as one of your characters have made it to 50. Also story mode on an alt is optional. (Doubt this was ever happen)

Something in the FC houses that would serve as a GC representative. You could even make it some weird Allagan Machine since they use Allagan for everything else.

FC Houses should be free to teleport to. Not everyone has Limsa setup as their free transport.

If anyone is going to mention that you don't need to make alts in this game, I'll just point out that it is more profitable for Square-Enix to make them an attractive avenue.

phierce

Anyone know how the computer keys are setup? I bought a mac wireless keyboard once and it came with cheap keys that had the letters stickered on. It was much more expensive than this one too.
I've been using this one for a while and I'd also highly recommend it. It's durable and no stick on keys (lol?).

Sorian

Banned
We nuke! -slowly!- we're there when you need that last but of damage and we tick the boss dead. =P

"Tank stay alive as long as you can, I put all my dots out before all the dps died."

*Tank does with the boss at less than a sliver of health*

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

SkyOdin

Stun is a complex beast. The use of Brutal Swing is really just a subset of knowing how to use stun. There are going to be fights (such as the Dhorne Chimera) where, if there is a dedicated stun guy, you should absolutely not use Brutal Swing. If you do use it, it will increase the boss's stun resistance and potentially get the party killed.

Unfortunately, I don't really know what kind of advice to give, since most of my experience with Stun is as a Paladin, where it works differently. This is definitely a case where strategy will vary wildly based on who else is in your team and what enemy you are facing.

Stun is a complex beast. The use of Brutal Swing is really just a subset of knowing how to use stun. There are going to be fights (such as the Dhorne Chimera) where, if there is a dedicated stun guy, you should absolutely not use Brutal Swing. If you do use it, it will increase the boss's stun resistance and potentially get the party killed.

Unfortunately, I don't really know what kind of advice to give, since most of my experience with Stun is as a Paladin, where it works differently. This is definitely a case where strategy will vary wildly based on who else is in your team and what enemy you are facing.

Wow I had no idea. Good to know.

As far as chat options within the game. Other than a keyboard, can I use anything else. I read about the iphone/ipad app. I downloaded it (Libra Eorzea), but can't figure out how to chat with it. I have a USB keyboard, but it doesn't have lit keys. Since I mostly play at night with the lights off, this is sort of a problem. Is there an app on PC? I could use my notebook that does have a lit keyboard. That would work much better for me, unfortunately google isn't helping me any here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom