• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Honestly torn whether I'll get my own house, or just a room. Being able to decorate a yard in addition to an interior would certainly be nice, but, I'd just assume keep my base of operations near GAF central, to facilitate GAF antics.

Guess I could just do both, and have multiple bases of operation. Not sure I could do both justice however.

I think im just going to roll with a personal room. Hopefully we can still do the sleep animation once that happens.

Next chapter of Crystal Tower coming with 2.3. Will have many contents that should make old school FF fans happy.

Really looking forward to this and the LB changes (Monks need an Aura bolt and suplex LB if possible lol).

Yopis

So what's the best area for fates or dungeon to grind lvl 45-50. Just want to finish this out and get on with the real show.

So what's the best area for fates or dungeon to grind lvl 45-50. Just want to finish this out and get on with the real show.

If you can find a party, people farm the first rooms in Darkhold to 47 I think. Then farm the first room in AV to 50 is probably the fastest, just really boring.

Hey folks,
I'm new to MMOs in general but I've hit level 32 and got my Black Mage job class (playing on PS4, Cerberus).

Been doing the story dungeons up along and haven't had any problems (thaumaturge feels very straight forward so far) but I imagine they are very easy compared to end game dungeons and there was basically no communication at all bar

>hi
>hi

>gg

Now that suits me at the moment but I want to take the game semi-seriously because I'm finding it a lot of fun and I might go for the platinum trophy so I'm gonna have to do the end game dungeons where, I imagine, communication is paramount.

My question therefore is:
How does voice chat work in this game? I have a PS4 headset but I have a funny feeling it would only allow for PS4-PS4 talking. Do I need to get a USB keyboard and run it across my living room? And if that's the case, should I just switch to mouse and keyboard controls altogether?

That was more than one question but you seem like a friendly bunch so I'm sure someone will take the time to help me out.

IvorB

I stopped using Fracture a long time ago on WAR. It does almost no DPS, it generates virtually no aggro because it's single target unlike PLD's Circle of Scorn, it uses a lot of TP, and it wastes a GCD you could be using to Flash or Overpower.

If I'm just initiating a boss pull, I open with Berserk and Tomahawk and do two BB combos and then an IB to finish before I go into Pacification. There isn't any way a DPS will ever pull it off me after that.

If I'm pulling multiple mobs I just Overpower until I get bored or if it's a SR until I'm out of TP, then I Flash until I get some TP back, then I Overpower more. Yeah I'm lazy, deal with it. There aren't a lot of good reasons to do tab target between mobs and BB combo on pulls bigger than 3 because the AoE aggro generation on Overpower is so much more than splitting a BB combo. You should not ever have TP issues on trash pulls even with Overpower spam.

Ha ha!! Wow, this is deep MMO jargon.

orion434

Isn't it sort of.... your fault? If you're capped, why don't you join myth farm groups from PF? I'm a bard and when I run with others, I always put 100% effort in it. I know BFHM is mindless after 100 runs but that doesn't make it OK for you to be slacking. On the other hand, I don't understand how WHM can run out on MP during the last boss. Did you help them push bombs?

It wasn't just the boss... it was the whole run that they were crying for Mage's Ballad. It was the first time I've gotten a request for MB on Brayflox HM. When we wiped... it was only the WHM that died... like they ran into the bombs? I just didn't want to *hear* the tell-sound to supply MB, that's why I put it up at the start... the boss is a joke.

jorgeton

The reason Fracture is generally disregarded is that it is a non-combo GCD single target low potency DoT. On MNK and DRG using it results a net DPS loss if you are properly following the optimal rotation on those jobs and it wastes TP. On WAR it is at best DPS neutral compared to just ignoring it and a net DPS loss if it makes you run out of TP on longer fights. Also if you look at the debuff timers on Storm's Path and Storm's Eye you will realize that using Fracture will make SP and SE drop off just to use it between BB combos. I'll take the 10% damage reduction and 20% damage increase any day over keeping Fracture up.

People have parsed this stuff extensively to reach their conclusions. No one is talking out of their ass when they say don't use Fracture. Whether you choose to believe in mathematics is up to you.

Um. Can you translate this to english?

Not sure how throwing another debuff on an enemy is a bad thing. And i haven't had any TP shortage problems using it. Personally I'm a fan.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Um. Can you translate this to english?

Not sure how throwing another debuff on an enemy is a bad thing. And i haven't had any TP shortage problems using it. Personally I'm a fan.

In some fights the time it takes to apply fracture will cause you to loose agro.
As a DRG, if I go balls to the wall in my opening I can often pull agro away from the main tank on fights like leviathan ex.

It is best to get to the third hit of your 1-2-3 agro combo asap since that 3rd hit is where most agro generation comes from.
Basically use berzerk, tomahawk (or two), then 1-2-3.

If fracture is your thing *cringes* use it after initial agro is locked solid. NEVER put it before your 1-2-3 combo.

EDIT: Unless you are doing PVP, that is one time where fracture is useful. I throw it on all the time when them slippery healers run from my MRD.

jorgeton

In some fights the time it takes to apply fracture will cause you to loose agro.
As a DRG, if I go balls to the wall in my opening I can often pull agro away from the main tank on fights like leviathan ex.

It is best to get to the third hit of your 1-2-3 agro combo asap since that 3rd hit is where most agro generation comes from.

If fracture is your thing *cringes* use it after initial agro is locked solid. NEVER put it before your 1-2-3 combo.

EDIT: Unless you are doing PVP, that is one time where fracture is useful. I throw it on all the time when them slippery healers run from my MRD.

Ah, got it.

When using Fracture as a monk, I usually apply it after I have a couple of greased lightnings going and have applied a couple of other debuffs. No problems yet.

I'll take your advice on using it as a MRD, as I am pretty new to this whole tanking business.

fallingdove

I am currently sitting at lvl 40 Paladin. Any tips for power leveling to 50 - it feels like it has started to get grindy. I have read from the links in the op that fates are the way to go but that doesn't seem all that efficient.

Moaradin

I was under the impression that Fracture was a 1-2% dps gain for MNK. I generally don't use it because it's definitely not worth the TP problems during long fights, but it has it's uses in some situations.

dramatis

Now that suits me at the moment but I want to take the game semi-seriously because I'm finding it a lot of fun and I might go for the platinum trophy so I'm gonna have to do the end game dungeons where, I imagine, communication is paramount.

How does voice chat work in this game? I have a PS4 headset but I have a funny feeling it would only allow for PS4-PS4 talking. Do I need to get a USB keyboard and run it across my living room? And if that's the case, should I just switch to mouse and keyboard controls altogether?

That was more than one question but you seem like a friendly bunch so I'm sure someone will take the time to help me out.
I don't recommend gunning after the platinum trophy.

Getting a keyboard to communicate within game is probably essential if you want to be more social and do the heavy duty endgame content. On the PS4, mouse and keyboard control method is supported, so feel free to switch if you want (you don't have to).

I don't recommend gunning after the platinum trophy.

Getting a keyboard to communicate within game is probably essential if you want to be more social and do the heavy duty endgame content. On the PS4, mouse and keyboard control method is supported, so feel free to switch if you want (you don't have to).

Well I won't make it a major goal or anything (1,000 Guildleves seems... improbable) but if I get within range of any of the trophies as I'm going along I might go out of my way for a day or two.

That's cool I will pick up a cheap USB keyboard then. Do you know if typing on the keyboard automatically goes into the chat or do you still need to navigate to it with the PS4 pad before you start typing?

For opening boss pulls, my favorite opening chain is Berserk, Tomahawk, Heavy Swing, Skull Sunder, Butchers Block, Heavy Swing, Skull Sunder, Butchers Block, Inner Beast. If your timing is right, you will go into Pacification post-Berserk when you finish your IB animation. Take a 5 second break, then put up Maim and then Storm's Eye or Storm's Path. Then go to town with the normal aggro combo and reapply SP or SE or both as they drop off. Use IB to mitigate big incoming damage or whenever it becomes available for more DPS. Salt to taste, YMMV, etc.

Well I won't make it a major goal or anything (1,000 Guildleves seems... improbable) but if I get within range of any of the trophies as I'm going along I might go out of my way for a day or two.

That's cool I will pick up a cheap USB keyboard then. Do you know if typing on the keyboard automatically goes into the chat or do you still need to navigate to it with the PS4 pad before you start typing?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005DKZTMG?pc_redir=1398668954&robot_redir=1 is your friend, start typing and it automatically goes to chat box and wireless to boot.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
From 52 to 70 in a day: the amazing tale of Brayflox.

I am currently sitting at lvl 40 Paladin. Any tips for power leveling to 50 - it feels like it has started to get grindy. I have read from the links in the op that fates are the way to go but that doesn't seem all that efficient.
Do dungeons, especially daily roulette.
Yeah, it's grindy, but if you're out of quests and leves you've gotta grind a little.

BlackJace

I made it to Ultros!

Holy shit at this Lalafell waddlewalk. That's going to take some getting used to.
I guess I'm going to just get my bearing until I become useful enough, then I'll sign up for the free company.

Amir0x

Banned
Man, I was enjoying myself before, but I should have started leveling up other classes earlier. This is amazing, there's so many potential ways to customize your class preference now with the add-on abilities. I feel like a kid in a candy store with all my potential customization options.

And there is never like even a second I don't have stuff to do. Leveling up all my jobs and crafts is one thing, but leveling up my fighting Chocobo (i didn't even know this was a thing before I stumbled on the quest), doing all the Grand Company stuff, I PvP'd all morning and won most of my matches, levequests, duty rolls, fates.

This game is like an OCD nightmare, but it's right up my alley. Stats and fucking customization. All day long, brudduhs.

jiggle

i like the area outside Sahagin tribe
really quick fates repop
at least two of them are two parters

Man, I was enjoying myself before, but I should have started leveling up other classes earlier. This is amazing, there's so many potential ways to customize your class preference now with the add-on abilities. I feel like a kid in a candy store with all my potential customization options.

i found it very disappointing in 2.0
iirc originally all skills were interchangeable between all jobs
and they nerfed it even more afterward

You're a tank so take advantage of instant queues and do dungeons. Do your low level roulette everyday and then do the highest level dungeon, which for you is Cutter's Cry. Do your best to power past Stone Vigil so you can do Dzamael Darkhold at level 44, SV is long and full of way too many trash mobs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005DKZTMG?pc_redir=1398668954&robot_redir=1 is your friend, start typing and it automatically goes to chat box and wireless to boot.

Sounds perfect! Thank you.

woop
KDpyBkw.png

Taruranto

wut

levequests in north thanalan/mor dhona help out a lot along with other posters suggestions about doing dungeons

Amir0x

Banned
i found it very disappointing in 2.0
iirc originally all skills were interchangeable between all jobs
and they nerfed it even more afterward

I didn't know that, but I guess that would be disappointing to me too had I experienced it. But I suppose the potential would be to be so unbalanced with skills as to make it worth nerfing a bit. I could imagine the insanity it would invoke if you could put all skills from every class on any character you have. So many ways to break the system I bet.

Still, I'm fine with getting a slot every five levels or whatever it is. It makes me really think critically about how I want to mix and match my skills to make each class better than they are alone.

Sorian

Banned
I didn't know that, but I guess that would be disappointing to me too had I experienced it. But I suppose the potential would be to be so unbalanced with skills as to make it worth nerfing a bit. I could imagine the insanity it would invoke if you could put all skills from every class on any character you have. So many ways to break the system I bet.

Still, I'm fine with getting a slot every five levels or whatever it is. It makes me really think critically about how I want to mix and match my skills to make each class better than they are alone.

Don't want to burst your bubble but when you get your job THM -> BLM or GLA -> PLD for example. Your number of cross-class slots will drop to 3 and some moves that were cross-classable will be removed.

Amir0x

Banned
Don't want to burst your bubble but when you get your job THM -> BLM or GLA -> PLD for example. Your number of cross-class slots will drop to 3 and some moves that were cross-classable will be removed.

how in the world does that make sense? Why would they do that? Are those classes too overpowered to get any extra help?

Sorian

Banned
how in the world does that make sense? Why would they do that? Are those classes too overpowered to get any extra help?

Because cross-class skills are meant to be a mild bonus not your bread and butter. And they aren't over powered, if you don't upgrade your class to a job then you can't really play end game, you are gimping yourself.

They want to force people into a roll when it comes to switching to a job. You gain extra stats and as you keep leveling you gain abilities that only that job can use. Making it so you can use 10+ cross class skills at max level would make it so some jobs actually lose their intended roll in a party, whms/schs could easily become decent dps with enough extra skills and then both tanks could become dps also with enough cds from other classes.

It's all about you fulfilling your designated roll in endgame, they do not want people to go against the grain when it comes to how they set groups up and how people are meant to play in those groups.

Amir0x

Banned
They want to force people into a roll when it comes to switching to a job. You gain extra stats and as you keep leveling you gain abilities that only that job can use. Making it so you can use 10+ cross class skills at max level would make it so some jobs actually lose their intended roll in a party, whms/schs could easily become decent dps with enough extra skills and then both tanks could become dps also with enough cds from other classes.

Hm, I guess that explanation makes sense. Still, that hurts my heart. The customization really made me start loving this thing. I like the game, probably enough to sub for 3 months or so, but that was really setting my mind on fire. The possibilities!

:(

Allard

Jobs are designed for a specific 'job'/role in a party so they get special abilities tuned to that, to counter the increased special abilities they reduce the cross class abilities by half and limit their focus toward skills of two other classes that may/may not help them fulfill that role or identity. BLM has access to Arcanist and Archer Class skills if I remember correctly. Its a holdover system from 1.0 proper they tweaked slightly when 2.0 launched but really haven't overhauled much, I hope when these new classes come into game we might see them re-evaluate the whole system as I hate how little sense of customizations you get as a job (There is no 'situational' better ability, sometimes I am 'looking' for a cross class skill just to fill up my slots because only a couple are worth using most of the time).

Edit: lol beaten.

Sorian

Banned
The sub skills arent really for you to rely on. But wait im pretty sure i have 5 slots on my pld...

I'm recalling 5 from when I was a THM and 3 when I was a BLM. I don't know though, I only use one cross-class skill anyway.

Edit: Let's bring back the full list of cross-class skills. I can BLM Holy/Flare all night.

SkyOdin

Hey folks,
I'm new to MMOs in general but I've hit level 32 and got my Black Mage job class (playing on PS4, Cerberus).

Been doing the story dungeons up along and haven't had any problems (thaumaturge feels very straight forward so far) but I imagine they are very easy compared to end game dungeons and there was basically no communication at all bar

>hi
>hi

>gg

For most of the dungeons and boss fights in the game, detailed communication is not really necessary, as long as everyone involved is familiar with the dungeon and knows what they are doing. Even the big 24 man raid in the game can be done with only minimal organizing (mostly tanks volunteering for specific tasks). The big end-game super dungeon, the Binding Coil, might be different, however.

On the other hand, I strongly, strongly recommend getting a USB keyboard for chat purposes. It will make talking to everyone easier, not just the limited number of people using voice chat. There are not any global voice chat systems built into the game anyways; those who do use voice chat use 3rd party programs such as Mumble. It always helps to have a keyboard and be able to communicate if you are unfamiliar with something in a dungeon or questing. And at level 32, you are about to hit the Sunken Temple, which has a few tricks, and asks much more out of DPS than some previous dungeons.

However, I don't think there is any advantage to switching to keyboard and mouse controls. The controller works very well for the game. I use keyboard and mouse when playing since I use a PC, but my brother playing on a PS3 has never had any difficulty running the high-end content.

The big trick of the the game though is to always ask people for advice if you are unfamiliar with a dungeon. Be honest and open if it is your first time running through a dungeon, or you are unfamiliar with something. The game has a lot of tricky bosses, and they are only going to get more complex the further you go. It helps to know what you need to do.

Aeana

It really, really is. I can't wait until I unlock SCH and I can ditch it.

You will still be using ruin on scholar whenever you have to do damage.

Is it better to have several level 50 classes or is that not needed?

It's great to have one of each role (tank, healer, DPS) leveled so you can fit into any particular group, but picking a main is natural and expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom