• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just go to the target place (it may be marked on the map) and target it with X (if youre playing on PS4) and use the skill asked on the quest log.

About what you should be doing, while so low level just keep doing quests. Talk to everyone with the "!" mark on their heads and keeping doing that, you will take a nice ammount of exp and some new gear.

Also, I reccommend as soon as possible, to do the hunter log (pres start > duties > hunter log) they give a nice ammount of exp and some gil, and you can do it while hunting your quests.

You can also joing some FATEs to get the reward.

When you reach level 10 you will e able to access the Duties list and do some more special kinds of quests and keep progressing.

It's telling me to use heavy shot on the targets and I had no idea I had that, and I don't know how to use it lol. Thanks for the suggestions though everyone :)

scosher

I wouldn't say we have any. If you're talking about bard, they still put out super high DPS.
I don't think there's any room in the game's paradigm for actual support classes, either.

Yup. The problem with support classes in MMO's, particularly those designed around the holy trinity, is that either your support buffs are either too good to pass up (in which X job ends up being required in a raid)...or too terrible that you find yourself never being invited.

Moreover, you generally only ever need one of those support classes in a party/raid. Two becomes a crowd, and that second support is generally considered useless and better replaced by an actual DPS job.

I think WoW in Wrath of the Lich King had it figured out. All classes/specs were designed to bring some support ability to the raid (which was a buff or debuff that was shared amongst 2-3 other specs in the game, and all specs were designed to do equal DPS (or at least the best they could balance it to).

Sorian

Banned
Yup. The problem with support classes in MMO's, particularly those designed around the holy trinity, is that either your support buffs are either too good to pass up (in which X job ends up being required in a raid)...or too terrible that you find yourself never being invited.

Moreover, you generally only ever need one of those support classes in a party/raid. Two becomes a crowd, and that second support is generally considered useless and better replaced by an actual DPS job.

I think WoW in Wrath of the Lich King had it figured out. All classes/specs were designed to bring some support ability to the raid (which was a buff or debuff that was shared amongst 2-3 other specs in the game, and all specs were designed to do equal DPS (or at least the best they could balance it to).

This is the dream but it never actually happens.

Jayhawk

So I talked about reducing hotbar clutter by using macros and this is a peek at what I have working so far...

jN5VRp8.gif

Jayhawk

I setup Hotbars 1 to 3 (2 and 3 are hidden) to have the same exact buttons from 4 to 12. Buttons 1 to 3 are macros and change depending on stance. These three buttons perform the action and then change the main hotbar to a previously-hidden hotbar.

Macro for Dragon Kick on Hotbar 1:
/micon "Dragon Kick"
/ac "Dragon Kick" <t> <wait.1>
/hotbar change 2 <wait.8>
/hotbar change 1

Macro for Twin Snakes on Hotbar 2:
/micon "Twin Snakes"
/ac "Twin Snakes" <t> <wait.1>
/hotbar change 3 <wait.8>
/hotbar change 1

Macro for Snap Punch on Hotbar 3:
/micon "Snap Punch"
/ac "Snap Punch" <t> <wait.1>
/hotbar change 1

The wait.8 and hotbar change to 1 for the first two macros is to account for idle time when I need to go back to default stance. I also setup a macro just to do '/hotbar change 1' in case of other issues. This setup means I have to wait 1 second after I hit Dragon Kick before I mash the '1' key for Twin Snakes.

Hotbar 4 is above the main hotbar and is my buff/cooldown hotbar. Hotbar 5 is a special one for Perfect Balance that uses similar macro concepts where main hotbar changes to 5 if I use Perfect Balance. The abilities on hotbar 5 are the ones I often use during PB, No special macros on this hotbar other than to switch to hotbar 1 when I am done with PB.

klee123

It's getting sad that whilst I main as PLD and has the highest ilvl, I don't really play it as much as my Bard anymore.

That said, I will still Tank for friends and FC members, but in reality when I do roulettes or do dungeons via pf or df, I pretty much only tank when I absolutely need to.

Alucrid

Banned
I setup Hotbars 1 to 3 (2 and 3 are hidden) to have the same exact buttons from 4 to 12. Buttons 1 to 3 are macros and change depending on stance. These three buttons perform the action and then change the main hotbar to a previously-hidden hotbar.

/micon "Dragon Kick"
/hotbar change 1

/micon "Twin Snakes"
/hotbar change 1

/micon "Snap Punch"
/hotbar change 1

The wait.8 and hotbar change to 1 for the first two macros is to account for idle time when I need to go back to default stance. I also setup a macro just to do '/hotbar change 1' in case of other issues. This setup means I have to wait 1 second after I hit Dragon Kick before I mash the '1' key for Twin Snakes.

Hotbar 4 is above the main hotbar and is my buff/cooldown hotbar. Hotbar 5 is a special one for Perfect Balance that uses similar macro concepts where main hotbar changes to 5 if I use Perfect Balance. The abilities on hotbar 5 are the ones I often use during PB, No special macros on this hotbar other than to switch to hotbar 1 when I am done with PB.
Ah okay, sadly I have no horizontal hot bars to spare, plus it's too late to change it at this point

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Alright, got my three gathering classes started along with alchemy, carpentry, weaving & leatherworking. It'll be nice to have some chill stuff to do on my Vita while the wifey watches the ol real housewives.

Quests never get better, you're in it for the boss fights and dungeons.

When's the first REAL dungeon? I'm about to play totorak and hatali was the first dungeon to get sort of interesting.

Sorian

Banned
When's the first REAL dungeon? I'm about to play totorak and hatali was the first dungeon to get sort of interesting.

Qarn is probably the first dungeon that is actually mechanical and that is 34, I believe? But once you are in the 20s, dungeons start to present challenges to learning your class.

IMO the first real fun one is brayflox, and that's at lvl 32.

Brayflox is the first time you realize low level tanks suck.

Phlebas

Banned
Alright, got my three gathering classes started along with alchemy, carpentry, weaving & leatherworking. It'll be nice to have some chill stuff to do on my Vita while the wifey watches the ol real housewives.

IMO the first real fun one is brayflox, and that's at lvl 32.

Iorv3th

Looking for some help :(.

Bought the game today on PS4. Yet I don't remember the password I used when I created my account during the beta. When I try to use my e-mail address for the forgot id/password recovery it tells me my e-mail address is not associated with an account.

I can not change my account ID in the launcher as it will not let me on ps4. My PSN is linked to an account that exists I just don't remember the password or have a way to reset it?

Any ideas?

edit: Figured it out for some reason the e-mail addresses are case sensitive and it changed it on PS4 to Myusername@gmail.Com with capitals in it.

Crit vs. Determination for a BRD, which is better?

Seen a lot of back and forth on this one on what few threads appear on the official forums. As far as I can tell though both are about equivalent priority wise so you want as much of both as you can get without sacrificing accuracy(that means skipping on most of the skillspeed crap unless you have no other choice on high ilvl gear).

It really depends on fight though, t6/7 it could go either way, but as far as t8 goes I would say from experience crit is the better of the 2. The longer you can potentially chain together bloodletter procs the better, tp management is hell in that fight and you really do not want to be sitting in army for longer than is absolutely needed since you need very high dps.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Got my LNC to 30 and started leveling my MRD for dragoon last night. I'm astonished at the exp bonus you get for having a lvl 30 class.

Should make leveling other jobs much easier than I thought.

klee123

Got my LNC to 30 and started leveling my MRD for dragoon last night. I'm astonished at the exp bonus you get for having a lvl 30 class.

Should make leveling other jobs much easier than I thought.

It's best to level a class to 50, which means that any other class you level will have a 50% bonus exp.

dubq

I'm a hater, don't mind me... it just feels unoriginal and kind of lame using such an "in vogue" fantasy world. at least bogart a more obscure fantasy name so you're not the 10,000th Stark running around.

Of all the things that you could nitpick about. Nevermind that lots of us with Thrones inspired names have been reading the books since the 90's and are not doing it because it happens to be a TV show that is en vogue at the moment.

I have got to learn how to use pets better.

You summon them and they stand around doing nothing while you adventure. What's to learn?

njean777

So I have been putting all my extra points into strength (I am a lancer) is this the right way to go? If not will I be able to respect at all? It says I cannot, but I just want to make sure. I am level 31 now so I have put a considerable amount of points into strength. Another question I have is it better to go for more armor as a lancer or items with more strength?

Ken

So I have been putting all my extra points into strength (I am a lancer) is this the right way to go? Another question I have is it better to go for more armor as a lancer or items with more strength?

yes.

go for more strength always. gear with more strength should naturally always have more armor anyways.

njean777

yes.

go for more strength always. gear with more strength should naturally always have more armor anyways.

Well the reason I ask is because I ran an instance today and the armor I got had more strength, but less armor than what I had gotten from quests. I got some pretty decent gear from a pair of quests I did maybe 2 levels prior than the gear level from the instance. The armor had more strength but less armor, so that is why I was asking.

Ken

Well the reason I ask is because I ran an instance today and the armor I got had more strength, but less armor than what I had gotten from quests. I got some pretty decent gear from a pair of quests I did maybe 2 levels prior than the gear level from the instance. The armor had more strength but less armor, so that is why I was asking.

hum. there is this weird thing with the lower level dungeon armor where tank gear is also classified as lancer and dragoon gear when it really shouldn't be iirc. just get the one with more strength. :D

Anyone have a guide for the glamor system?
Will finally be getting back on when I get paid tomorrow, was my most wanted feature back before I stopped playing because of the PS4.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
So I have been putting all my extra points into strength (I am a lancer) is this the right way to go? If not will I be able to respect at all? It says I cannot, but I just want to make sure. I am level 31 now so I have put a considerable amount of points into strength. Another question I have is it better to go for more armor as a lancer or items with more strength?

You can respec for 10,000 GC seals at anytime by the way. As they mentioned it's all just dumping your points into your main stat anyway though so it only matters if you want a different build for end game than you had leveling.

Jayhawk

well, to get to bar 3, don't you have to go through bars 1 and 2 first?

In the normal cycle, yes, you can't use Snap Punch or Demolish without being in the correct stance so I have to go through bars 1 and 2. I have a hotbar 5 set up just for Perfect Balance.

Perfect Balance macro basically just uses PB and switches hotbar to 5. Hotbar 5 has buttons for the PB opener and Rockbreakers for AOE spam. These are just the normal actions without macros. One button on that hotbar takes me back to hotbar 1 when PB is done.

EDIT: I am DRG 44 now and trying to apply a similar macro style to it. I have plenty of horizontal hotbars because I only share 1 between all classes. I use shared vertical hotbars for class changing.

/micon "Dragon Kick"
/hotbar change 1

/micon "Twin Snakes"
/hotbar change 1

/micon "Snap Punch"
/hotbar change 1

I had no idea what a macro was until I saw your gif and read this post. Will have to try that later.

Thanks for that because I was JUST about to ask what are macros since I saw some dudes in the game talking about it in chat.

Also man, I got a Monk, but my skills don't take as long as your to activate. Your cooldown seems like it takes forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom