• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
So other than Mr Happy, any other video guides for Second Coil?
I like MTQCapture (way more succinct than Mr Happy), but I think so far she only has a Turn 6 guide up.

My group's going to make its first concerted effort at Turn 6 tonight. May the wipes be mostly painless.

Aeana

Congrats on the win and on your progression! Some of these coil fights seem pretty interesting and fun mechanically. One day I'll look into getting into/forming a static and getting serious about Coil stuff. Good luck on Turn 9, I watched that BG vid and that fight looks intense.
Turn 8 is very reminiscent of Titan in that there is no randomness to it at all. It all comes down to your raid dealing with 100% predictable mechanics continuously. It's pretty fun.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Turn 8 is very reminiscent of Titan in that there is no randomness to it at all. It all comes down to your raid dealing with 100% predictable mechanics continuously. It's pretty fun.

Ballistic missiles and the landmines are RNG components of that fight. Sometimes they can get a little tricky depending where their land, specially the landmines.

Aeana

Ballistic missiles and the landmines are RNG components of that fight. Sometimes they can get a little tricky depending where their land, specially the landmines.
Well, the positioning is random, but our group at least just has everyone besides the designated mine exploders run in on top of the boss so it doesn't really matter where they are, since that spot is 100% safe from any residual damage. Only other problem we ran into was when someone forgot where all of the mines were, but that didn't happen very often. Ballistic missiles weren't too bad since with everyone stacked up and a designated circle-helper priority, they'd go off without a hitch.

sammex

I posted this in the PS4 update thread, I hope it's ok here too.

Anyone else have a problem with their PS4 shutting off whilst trying to play FF14?

It was working yesterday, then today I installed the PS4 update, all ok, but when I start FF14 the PS4 powers off after you log in and the Square Enix title comes up.

Then when I turn the PS4 back on it starts in safe mode.

This happens everytime I try it. Any solutions?

CLBridges

Was running Tam-tara with a GLD tank who had to be new and probably skipped over all the explanations of how their enmity skills worked. I kept noticing that this person would /beckon the enemy. At first I thought they did it on accident and it became an afterthought. But, through-out the dungeon I kept seeing "Tank beckons to enemy". This person really thought this increases enmity.

I tried to explain a few times that this doesn't work, use flash and your combos. Maybe this person wasn't paying attention to chat or didn't understand English because it continued through to the end of the dungeon. I had to share that because that was the first time I've ever seen that. Weird and kinda funny as it was happening.

Man, this sucks. My character was deleted. Is this normal ? I was told that we kept our characters from pre-2.0. I just reactivated my account and payed for a month, booted the game and I do not have any characters available.

edit: never mind. I had to switch servers and worlds until I found it. Weird.

Xux

Man, this sucks. My character was deleted. Is this normal ? I was told that we kept our characters from pre-2.0. I just reactivated my account and payed for a month, booted the game and I do not have any characters available.
They're not on any of the data centers?

Aeana

Your pre-2.0 character should be there, on whatever server you left it on. As far as I know, anyway... That was certainly the case at launch, and I haven't heard of them getting rid of characters since then.

Yes, thank you. I had forgotten that I created my character on the EU servers, to play with francophones.

edit: maybe I'll pay the 18$ so I can play on Ultros. We'll see.

Iorv3th

Anyone else have a problem with their PS4 shutting off whilst trying to play FF14?

It was working yesterday, then today I installed the PS4 update, all ok, but when I start FF14 the PS4 powers off after you log in and the Square Enix title comes up.

I am not having any problems with it.

Is FFXIV the only game doing this?

Tabris

So how did being a legacy player work anyways? You were automatically level 50 with a bunch of gil? And then you started the story like you were a new adventurer?

zewone

Amazon has the OG Final Fantasy XIV for $20.

Has anyone done the upgrade to ARR and if so, I still get a 30 day code, right?

Aeana

That's interesting... you would think those would have been discontinued completely.
They should have been. SE sent out a destroy order and offered reimbursement.

TuOxA.jpg

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So how did being a legacy player work anyways? You were automatically level 50 with a bunch of gil? And then you started the story like you were a new adventurer?

Whatever level/gear you finished 1.x with was transferred to 2.0. Those players still needed to do the main quest, however, before going on to end-game content. So for example, I had a GLD at level 30 with about 100K gil and that was available to me on my Legacy server when I started 2.0.

That same exact thing happened to me last night. Been playing FFXIV perfectly fine since it released on PS4 and then last night, after getting the new PS4 firmware update, proceeded to boot the game up but then my PS4 locks up and gets stuck on a black screen. Tried holding the power button on the PS4 down to shut it off but that didn't work. I had to unplug the power cord and plug it back in.

PS4 restarts in Safe Mode and then boots up normally. I was able to login to FFXIV fine after that. Good luck and I hope you get the issue resolved.

zewone

I wouldn't recommend it at all... the new version is frequently on sale for that price or less.

OK. My original 30 days is running out, I'll just buy a time card.

I'm kicking myself for passing on the collectors edition when it was on sale. I didn't know how much I would enjoy this game and just got the standard edition.

Enjolras

Neo Member
That's pretty awful, guess it's just bad luck you got matched up with new/unhelpful players. Seeing as you're a tank, a lot of responsibility falls on you to know the dungeon and boss mechanics, as unfair as that sounds. So ideally you should look up a video guide first.
I agree with you to a certain extent, and I did watch a video of a run of the dungeon beforehand from a PLD pov to get familiar with it! But on that particular boss, the tank just literally has to stand there and take it. I could see something going on with the crystals that the DPS were handling, but there's no way that I could have given instructions to the new players that were any better than what the healer was giving them! (and was pretty much discarded straight away.)

It's actually why I've been working on levelling up both WHM and SCH/SMN - so that I can learn the actual boss fight mechanics to explain to newer players. On the Diabolos fight - I was aware that our healer was selecting a door, but my instructions were to "tank/spank, and don't worry about anything, I'll take care of it. Oh and stun Nightmare".

I understand the fact about being the team leader, so to speak. But I find it strange that in FFXIV dungeons at least, tanks are the least qualified to guide anyone through anything that's not a "don't stand in aoe, kill boss" fight. :p

WolvenOne

Are we certain that only Extreme Primals and Coil count towards the Tank Mount achievements? Cause, I have a single completion towards the Lion mount for my PLD class, and while I don't remember clearing any Trials with PLD since the patch, I sure as heck know I haven't used that class for Coil or Extreme Primals since the patch.

WolvenOne

I agree with you to a certain extent, and I did watch a video of a run of the dungeon beforehand from a PLD pov to get familiar with it! But on that particular boss, the tank just literally has to stand there and take it. I could see something going on with the crystals that the DPS were handling, but there's no way that I could have given instructions to the new players that were any better than what the healer was giving them! (and was pretty much discarded straight away.)

It's actually why I've been working on levelling up both WHM and SCH/SMN - so that I can learn the actual boss fight mechanics to explain to newer players. On the Diabolos fight - I was aware that our healer was selecting a door, but my instructions were to "tank/spank, and don't worry about anything, I'll take care of it. Oh and stun Nightmare".

I understand the fact about being the team leader, so to speak. But I find it strange that in FFXIV dungeons at least, tanks are the least qualified to guide anyone through anything that's not a "don't stand in aoe, kill boss" fight. :p

Yeah, I've noticed this. Tanks tend to be the most qualified to guide people through dungeuns, but, unless the Tank has gone into a fight a ton or times, or as another class, they tend not to be the best people to go to for advice for Bosses/Trials.

Alternatively, a lot of the videos for various turns and such, aren't helpful to us Tanks, because they aren't from the Tank perspective. You don't get so much when the video is flipped around from the direction you'll be doing the fight in. Also, the lack of Tank perspective often results in Tank mechanics getting brushed over without mention.

Shakala

So my token app on my phone somehow got reset (Didn't factory reset my phone, delete app, etc.) and it's asking for a registration pass from logging into the website to set it up again, which of course I can't get into without the pass. I think I'm done with this game

Aeana

So my token app on my phone somehow got reset (Didn't factory reset my phone, delete app, etc.) And it's asking for a registration pass from logging into the website to set it up again which of course I can't get into without the pass. I think I'm done with this game
This is why we continually stress writing down the emergency removal password. :(
Chat support can fix it for you.

Shakala

This is why we continually stress writing down the emergency removal password. :(
Chat support can fix it for you.

I could have sworn I wrote it down somewhere but it's nowhere to be found

EDIT: Okay I did find the token. Do I enter it where I would normally enter the one time pass?

Hasney

Is Garuda that tough? Just got to her on my main quest. Plan on tackling her tonight. Any tips on what I should be doing as a Dragoon?

I don't think so, but people just fail to listen to help. Hide behind pillars after she teleports, destroy the feather adds ASAP and on her last teleport, stand as far back as possible. Should be pretty simple.

sammex

That same exact thing happened to me last night. Been playing FFXIV perfectly fine since it released on PS4 and then last night, after getting the new PS4 firmware update, proceeded to boot the game up but then my PS4 locks up and gets stuck on a black screen. Tried holding the power button on the PS4 down to shut it off but that didn't work. I had to unplug the power cord and plug it back in.

PS4 restarts in Safe Mode and then boots up normally. I was able to login to FFXIV fine after that. Good luck and I hope you get the issue resolved.

Cheers. Turned out I had to do a PS4 reinitialise then redownload and install/update to fix it. I hope that doesn't happen again!

Aeana

I could have sworn I wrote it down somewhere but it's nowhere to be found

EDIT: Okay I did find the token. Do I enter it where I would normally enter the one time pass?

No, go here and click "how to remove the software token from your account"

Was able to reset my token and reapply it! Confirmed not done with this game

Great! Just make sure to write down your new emergency password.

WolvenOne

So, I guess it's finally dawned on me, that with the Animus grind over until they add the Novus upgrade, the only goals really left for me at this point is the War Mount Grind, oh and Second Coil, but that's not a daily thing. XD

So, what do you guys think will be more effective? Jumping into Leviathan Farms every chance I can get? Or spamming Turn 4?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So, I guess it's finally dawned on me, that with the Animus grind over until they add the Novus upgrade, the only goals really left for me at this point is the War Mount Grind, oh and Second Coil, but that's not a daily thing. XD

So, what do you guys think will be more effective? Jumping into Leviathan Farms every chance I can get? Or spamming Turn 4?

Turn 4 is probably quicker and you can DF it quite easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom