• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Its also annoying to be rushed through scenes during the actual story. Kinda takes you out of the "immersion" people always complain about wanting in FF online if you cant watch the scene while its actually important.

If its someones first time through and not just a standard roulette, why rush them?

Thats kinda the point of roulette anyway, to help out others that might not have had an FC or friends to fight with them through a dungeon/story mission, and be rewarded in the process. Much like Brayflox HM, you shouldnt expect a speed run right off the bat. Now if everyone has completed it, by all means blast through.

Jayhawk

The issue with the CM and Prae cutscenes are that they take several minutes long, and even longer for slower readers. If seven people are doing the runs for the roulette bonus, why should the one player doing it for story get special treatment?

Sorian

Banned
The issue with the CM and Prae cutscenes are that they take several minutes long, and even longer for slower readers. If seven people are doing the runs for the roulette bonus, why should the one player doing it for story get special treatment?

Cause its the damn storyline, if you don't want to have to sit through it, don't do it. I've never run those again after doing them the first time, no one is forcing you.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Because they pay for the game too.

Hasney

I thought that's what the dance emotes were for, waiting around.

Seriously though, they should have found a better way to tell the story within the dungeon, or give better loot for watching the cutscenes or something if they're incentivising replays. But heck, it's over with now. ONWARDS.

lordxar

They should have an option to watch cutscenes post dungeon. And no, apparently not all cutscenes are at the inn. There was one after fighting Garuda I wanted to see again but couldn't find. It offered before and after from the towns but not the one right after the battle, that I could find anyway.

Teknoman

Imo because they registered specifically for that duty, and everyone else just had "luck of the draw" getting slotted into that duty.

But i'm biased...been in the "dont rush through cutscenes" camp since FFXI. From what i've seen, they really dont last long enough to have an effect on gameplay, no matter how slow someone is. Especially since the timers are much less strict than they used to be in the XI or XIV 1.0 days.

Jayhawk

I was just presenting the common argument for the anti-cutscene group. I have not done the roulette for CM/Prae since 2.2 hit, but I used to run it every day for philo tome mats and I did not mind waiting for newbies to watch cutscenes. I usually had control of the pacing of the dungeon as main tank. There were a few occasions where a DPS or healer would just rush into a boss fight while somebody else was watching a cutscene. I would just watch from outside the fight entrance and /laugh as they died. Most of my 200 commendations were from CM/Prae runs.

Aeana

You shouldn't do the story roulette and expect people not to want to see the story. Do a different one, or try to be a reasonable person.

I do the main story roulette every day and everyone skips absolutely everything and leaves the newbies behind to watch their cutscenes. We get by just fine without them, so it's win/win as far as I can tell.

Hasney

I do the main story roulette every day and everyone skips absolutely everything and leaves the newbies behind to watch their cutscenes. We get by just fine without them, so it's win/win as far as I can tell.

I think the issue was that we were a tank down anyway and all us DPS people were new and watching.

They should have an option to watch cutscenes post dungeon. And no, apparently not all cutscenes are at the inn. There was one after fighting Garuda I wanted to see again but couldn't find. It offered before and after from the towns but not the one right after the battle, that I could find anyway.

I can guarantee every single cutscene for 2.0+ is in the inn. Not all of them are labeled under main scenario though and you have to go to the menu on the upper right to get a dropdown box that will show the other options for where you have cutscenes.

Jayhawk

On the subject of duty roulette players hurting the experience for newbies, which low level duty roulette dungeons are prone to having a tank or healer that just leave as soon as they realize what dungeon they're in? Qarn, Aurum Vale, and Cutter's Cry seem to be prone to this issue.

dark_chris

I always stay with the newbies if people are telling them to skip it. If there's a jerk in the group, I vote to kick them.

I'm fairly certain I was in a group this morning with a newly 50 DRG who was in Cut scenes almost the entire time. Sadly, the group voted to kick at Ultima 2.

suzu

I didn't mind when newbies watched cutscenes, but I don't do story roulette anymore. Those who want to speed run/myth grind should just do HM dungeons.

On the subject of duty roulette players hurting the experience for newbies, which low level duty roulette dungeons are prone to having a tank or healer that just leave as soon as they realize what dungeon they're in? Qarn, Aurum Vale, and Cutter's Cry seem to be prone to this issue.
Aurum Vale and the primals are my choices.

Noi

Not low level, but Pharos still has people abandon it ASAP the moment they peek in despite the fact that its been nerfed into the ground and its ridiculously easy now. That dungeon still has a pretty unearned bad rep.

Wilsongt

Not low level, but Pharos still has people abandon it ASAP the moment they peek in despite the fact that its been nerfed into the ground and its ridiculously easy now. That dungeon still has a pretty unearned bad rep.

The dungeon is a pain if ads aren't controlled.

suzu

The only annoying thing in nerfed Pharos Sirius is the first boss if people don't know what to do.

Kill adds, stay spread out, and avoid getting hit by aoe. If you get hit, then make sure you're standing away from everybody before you reach 3 stacks of the debuff (you will go boom). You can stand on any orange/yellow pools if you've already got the debuff. That's pretty much it, but I always see people having trouble with it. D:

Fell asleep last night so never got to play anything :< But just started a Lalafell Conjurer on Ultros so hope theres room left in the guild.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Time to farm all the Maelstrom Achievements!
Already off to fast start, got myself 14,000 seals in 30 min
qb8ovTU.jpg

Hasney

Spent a big wad of my cash brining my ilevel up to 67 so I could do some more duties on the morning. Not sure if that was a good idea or not.

I sympathize with newbies in Prae/Castrum, but I run story DR nearly everyday for the myth to break up the mundane grind of Bray HM. Every single time I run it, a majority of the 8 party members clearly have completed Prae/Castrum and are just doing the run for the myth. So we skip cutscenes and leave people behind.

I have yet to have a player complain about us rushing through the thing, so I've lucked out I guess. If a majority of the players were somehow new and demanded the party wait for cutscenes, I would probably just abandon the duty and let them find a new player. However, if somebody needs to run those dungeons and I volunteer to help, I will wait for the cutscenes. As more people finish their books and/or SE lowers the myth cost per book, the less those two instances will see a rush of high level players looking for a quick 100 myth that isn't Bray HM.

One way to maybe resolve this issue would be a checkbox that indicates you're signing up for like an RP run of Prae/Castrum which requires you to watch cutscenes. If you don't, you can be vote-kicked and receive an extended ban from either instance. Otherwise you don't check the box, which means it is fair game to SR the thing and newcomers who join this are merely looking to finish the final instances easily with better geared players.

Or SE could just remove them from the DR cycle completely.

Wookieomg

Hi FF14GAF. :) I played back when 2.0 launched, and had a pretty good time, but life and priorities took over so I didn't end up resubbing... I'm wondering, how much has changed since that time period and is it worth it to jump back in now?

Ken

Hi FF14GAF. :) I played back when 2.0 launched, and had a pretty good time, but life and priorities took over so I didn't end up resubbing... I'm wondering, how much has changed since that time period and is it worth it to jump back in now?

Hm, they've made leveling a lot easier with roulettes, buffed battlecraft leves, and the challenge log. They've also added quite a bit to do for people at level 50 with unlimited Coil1, Coil2, new 4-man dungeons, and a bunch of primal fights. If you played a Warrior, they got a pretty good buff/minor skill rework. And then there's the whole Animus weapon grind you could do if you really wanted to. Most people posting here are still playing and will most likely tell you that it's worth jumping back in now.

Alex

XIV's community can be really obnoxious and that pairs in a really ill fashion to it's awkwardly laddered content. I really don't even know how newer players or people trying out new archetypes are even going to be able to learn a lot of these encounters. On the other hand, I can't blame a lot of the folks making groups for asking only for experience. It's not fun to wipe day in day out on stuff that should be fairly simple after some mild practice.

It's really just a matter of providing more incentive to help lesser progressed players and to better stagger your content with more bosses and modes, I suppose. Too many glorified Heigan dances also kind of sucks. If Ramuh is another I guess he'll at least look the part.

Wookieomg

Hm, they've made leveling a lot easier with roulettes, buffed battlecraft leves, and the challenge log. They've also added quite a bit to do for people at level 50 with unlimited Coil1, Coil2, new 4-man dungeons, and a bunch of primal fights. If you played a Warrior, they got a pretty good buff/minor skill rework. And then there's the whole Animus weapon grind you could do if you really wanted to. Most people posting here are still playing and will most likely tell you that it's worth jumping back in now.

Wow, those changes sound really great. What are those roulettes all about? One of my largest complaints with the game was that the last 10-15 levels were EXTREMELY grindy. In my case, I was FATE grinding for all of them because I had finished the story quests/zone quests then.. :/ That sort of barren nature to the leveling process really rubbed me the wrong way. And I had wanted to make an alt or two, but knowing that I was going to have nothing but FATEs to look forward to pretty much killed my interest in that. lol

Ken

Wow, those changes sound really great. What are those roulettes all about? One of my largest complaints with the game was that the last 10-15 levels were EXTREMELY grindy. In my case, I was FATE grinding for all of them because I had finished the story quests/zone quests then.. :/ That sort of barren nature to the leveling process really rubbed me the wrong way. And I had wanted to make an alt or two, but knowing that I was going to have nothing but FATEs to look forward to pretty much killed my interest in that. lol

Basically, roulettes throw you into a random dungeon, and the completion bonus is usually massive for running Low Level Dungeon Roulette (it's like half your XP bar in the upper 40s?). You can only do it once a day but that's still pretty good experience. Oh, and the XP you get from killing dungeon mobs also got buffed; like 4k per kill with rested XP in something like Aurum Vale.

FATE grinding for levels is okay but I don't think it's the preferred way to level anymore.

----------

high fashion ~

Teknoman

XIV's community can be really obnoxious and that pairs in a really ill fashion to it's awkwardly laddered content. I really don't even know how newer players or people trying out new archetypes are even going to be able to learn a lot of these encounters. On the other hand, I can't blame a lot of the folks making groups for asking only for experience. It's not fun to wipe day in day out on stuff that should be fairly simple after some mild practice.

It's really just a matter of providing more incentive to help lesser progressed players and to better stagger your content with more bosses and modes, I suppose. Too many glorified Heigan dances also kind of sucks. If Ramuh is another I guess he'll at least look the part.

Personally I look at wipes like this:

Helps everyone learn from mistakes, and they can pass on their knowledge on to the next party they join. But of course that is only if people are open to learning / constructive crit.

And while im optimistic, i've witnessed first hand that some people dont seem to learn, even from repetition. The other night, we had a person who kept getting blasted by mistral shriek in story Garuda. And not the one that takes place when she is outside the calm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom