• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

I was having lots of fun gearing my PLD, but now I've hit the point where doing hard runs for points is the most I can do at this point (ilevel 70ish)

It's getting boring

Once you get to that point, it seems it's time for a new class or waiting for a patch/expansion to drop.

I have a question ... i'm playing arcanist , first character on Ultros , i did play the pS3 beta and the PS4 beta before starting last week .. currently level 21

I decided to finally try how the game play with a keyboard so i switched the settings and i prepared my 2 hotbars

Everything was fine , until i attempted a dongeon with a randoms party..
I realised that i had trouble clicking and tragetting some ennemies properly ( with my mouse ) because my tank was in front of me ( so i want to click on the ennemy but i select the Tank instead ) I didn't have a problem like this because i , when i used a controller , toggled between ennemies untill i found the right one , but this tactic seems uneffective because some dongons ( and some quests now ) provide me 6+ ennemies at once.

Now i'm wondering is there a way for me to put the camera a little higher in some cases , so i could see the field in front of me better ?
Is there a way for me to target accurately an ennemy when it's so close to anoher ally ?
Or is it something i've got to learn to do anyway ?
I'm worried i'm missing something because i switched to keyboard mode in order to be more accurate yet it doesn't seems like i'm doing it right

Jayhawk

Now i'm wondering is there a way for me to put the camera a little higher in some cases , so i could see the field in front of me better ?
Is there a way for me to target accurately an ennemy when it's so close to anoher ally ?
I'm worried i'm missing something because i switched to keyboard mode in order to be more accurate yet it doesn't seems like i'm doing it right

You can use the tab key to cycle through enemies, and shift+tab to cycle the reverse way. One way to select what the tank is currently hitting is to select the tank's HP/MP bar in your party display area and then click on the HP bar of his target. You can also try zooming out with the mouse wheel to help with your view.

Z3M0G

Its also annoying to be rushed through scenes during the actual story. Kinda takes you out of the "immersion" people always complain about wanting in FF online if you cant watch the scene while its actually important.

If its someones first time through and not just a standard roulette, why rush them?

Thats kinda the point of roulette anyway, to help out others that might not have had an FC or friends to fight with them through a dungeon/story mission, and be rewarded in the process. Much like Brayflox HM, you shouldnt expect a speed run right off the bat. Now if everyone has completed it, by all means blast through.

I missed the final battle in the story because the group did it while I was watching the cutscene before it. I could hear the fight in the background. I was wondering why I was hearing shouting...

Eios

I have a question ... i'm playing arcanist , first character on Ultros , i did play the pS3 beta and the PS4 beta before starting last week .. currently level 21

I decided to finally try how the game play with a keyboard so i switched the settings and i prepared my 2 hotbars

Everything was fine , until i attempted a dongeon with a randoms party..
I realised that i had trouble clicking and tragetting some ennemies properly ( with my mouse ) because my tank was in front of me ( so i want to click on the ennemy but i select the Tank instead ) I didn't have a problem like this because i , when i used a controller , toggled between ennemies untill i found the right one , but this tactic seems uneffective because some dongons ( and some quests now ) provide me 6+ ennemies at once.

You can set your targeting keybinds in the keybinds-targeting menu. I use E to cycle through enemies nearest to farthest, Q to cycle through enemies from farthest to nearest, and tab to target nearest enemy. There are more targetting keybinds as well, so you should fiddle around with it. I only use clicking sometimes when I start an encounter. But, 99% of the time it is key/tab targeting.

Alucrid

Banned
You can use the tab key to cycle through enemies, and shift+tab to cycle the reverse way. One way to select what the tank is currently hitting is to select the tank's HP/MP bar in your party display area and then click on the HP bar of his target. You can also try zooming out with the mouse wheel to help with your view.
Easier to just hit the t key for target of target

Axl

Does the GAF FC on Ultros have much presence on weekend mornings? Say 7am - noon est? I'm having difficulty finding people to group with during these hours.

danthefan

Just from doing story quests and dungeons (plus the odd FATE and leve), I haven't had to do a non-story quest for about 10 levels now (currently lv 37). Is this normal? I'm figuring they'll all be there for my next class anyway.

You can set your targeting keybinds in the keybinds-targeting menu. I use E to cycle through enemies nearest to farthest, Q to cycle through enemies from farthest to nearest, and tab to target nearest enemy. There are more targetting keybinds as well, so you should fiddle around with it. I only use clicking sometimes when I start an encounter. But, 99% of the time it is key/tab targeting.

Easier to just hit the t key for target of target

Well thank for the info , gonna try again later today

Hasney

Just from doing story quests and dungeons (plus the odd FATE and leve), I haven't had to do a non-story quest for about 10 levels now (currently lv 37). Is this normal? I'm figuring they'll all be there for my next class anyway.

Pretty much. 40-50 is where it gets a bit slower.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Did my 2 Boarksin Maps today

Nice...
C4B4NxS.jpg

Second Tonberry Get!
Nice 200K+ minion for me to sell on the MB!
Looks like 20 Ventures in a chest is starting to become a common occurrence for me

Kssio_Aug

Im playing as a Marauder and Im pratically doing only the story and guild quests too. And my level keep up with the quest level too! Im actually at level 24 with the Marauder. However this night I played as Gladiator, since I wanted to get Flash; I ended up leveling him up to 15 doing leves and FATES.

Varth

I'm often getting warning messages regarding "melded materia being unavailable" or something like that when switching from one class to the other (without touching anything). Can somebody explain what is it about?

Ending with a personal rant: why in hell in some menus the game doesn't warn you about melding items that are in a set? Why is the "list" icon not on the item description? I've already melded by mistake a couple of items. I know I can meld from the armor menu, but it seems like an obvious thing to have.

I'm often getting warning messages regarding "melded materia being unavailable" or something like that when switching from one class to the other (without touching anything). Can somebody explain what is it about?

All it means is when you added materia to a piece of gear for a certain gearset, you didn't update the gearset to save the changes. The materia is still there even without updating, but to get rid of the message all you need to do is update(hit the little spinning arrows on the top right of your character screen).

WolvenOne

I'm curious as to what happens if you have 70k gil regarding Titan EX.

He's speaking of paid Titan carries, though I'd be shocked if they were actually down to 70K gil, seeing as they were like half a million gil before the patch. I mean I know echo makes carries easier but still.

Anyhow, I'd advise against paying for a carry. Titan is frustrating, but there'll be other frustrating fights later on as well. Being able to power through Titan yourself makes the later encounters far less daunting.

Well thank for the info , gonna try again later today
Make sure to disable direct chat in the options menu if you haven't already

I'm curious as to what happens if you have 70k gil regarding Titan EX.

Titans takes your gil and goes back to the aether a slightly richer man. (He's suggesting you pay people to carry you through the fight)

Edit: beaten like a newb getting hit by landslide

Wilsongt

He's speaking of paid Titan carries, though I'd be shocked if they were actually down to 70K gil, seeing as they were like half a million gil before the patch. I mean I know echo makes carries easier but still.

Anyhow, I'd advise against paying for a carry. Titan is frustrating, but there'll be other frustrating fights later on as well. Being able to power through Titan yourself makes the later encounters far less daunting.

Not to mention that after you beat Tits X, Iffy X is a joke.

Edit: The biggest problem I find with Titan EX (I haven't done it yet), is that you need to memorize his pattern. The problem is, most people expect you to completely known the fight instead of improvising on the fly or even be in the process of learning. Even my FC expects us to know something about Tits before going into him.

WolvenOne

Edit: The biggest problem I find with Titan EX (I haven't done it yet), is that you need to memorize his pattern. The problem is, most people expect you to completely known the fight instead of improvising on the fly or even be in the process of learning. Even my FC expects us to know something about Tits before going into him.

Depends. I know some people that got caught up on Ifrit EM for a few weeks. Namely because other people in their party kept tripping things up. As in, healers that didn't know how to handle searing wind, or other DPS that couldn't dodge eruptions properly.

Ifrit is only an easy fight in comparison to Titan, and is probably more difficult than Titan when it comes to Healers.

Edit: Though to be fair, Ifrit is a fight where the Echo actually makes a difference. Where as in Titan, it can actually make the fight more difficult but messing up transitions.

Sorian

Banned
Time for some real talk, I've killed Titan EM once in my entirety of playing this game and I was dead at the bottom of the pit for the kill (got clipped by a landslide very late in the fight, last 10% or so), no regrets and I do just fine in all of the other end game stuff that I've been up against. It's just a garbage fight and since any reward that could come from it now is severely outdated, its better to just get the kill out of the way and move on.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Time for some real talk, I've killed Titan EM once in my entirety of playing this game and I was dead at the bottom of the pit for the kill (got clipped by a landslide very late in the fight, last 10% or so), no regrets and I do just fine in all of the other end game stuff that I've been up against. It's just a garbage fight and since any reward that could come from it now is severely outdated, its better to just get the kill out of the way and move on.

Titan seems to be the most irritating fight in the game, both Hard Mode and Extreme Mode. Well maybe not irritating but Titan is probably the biggest wall for people I have noticed.

im finally really close to WHM50 and im thinking about making the switch to Ultros cause the good gear needs teamwork. do you guys do stuff frequently?

Wilsongt

Titan seems to be the most irritating fight in the game, both Hard Mode and Extreme Mode. Well maybe not irritating but Titan is probably the biggest wall for people I have noticed.

Well, making a mistake on Titan is usually permanent for that fight. You have to have perfect reflexes, precision, and known his rotation down pat. If you eat a bomb, you are somewhat okay, but the weakness debuff will hurt up for that one minute. There's just not a lot of room for error in a game where not everyone is an expert.

The other primals are more forgivable and you can improvise a little if you make a mistake as a DPS or something.

suzu

Ifrit EX seemed to be more annoying to me than Titan EX.

I need Leviathan EX practice, but there's never any pf learning groups. Wish they'd throw it (and Moogle) up on duty finder so I can go die a bunch there. D:

kiryogi

Banned

I don't think we're expecting that much, it's a sorta help yourself scenario before you move forward, like dating!

The toughest enemy in thus game is the monstrosity known as Lag.

Also, have anyone tried playing with "Diablo" camera angle? I tried it and damn it feels totally different lol

Sorian

Banned

The problem with the fight is that you either have to memorize a rotation (which isn't hard but should never really be a requirement, make me memorize what I have to do to counter an attack coming my way, not memorize what move is coming before it comes) or have split-second reflexes/good ping if you'd rather just react to what is coming. If you see all 3 things right when the mark appears/bubble happens on the floor/cast starts, twisters and divebombs on twin are examples of a good reaction time needed to dodge, WotL is an example of needing a reaction time that is too good. Even when my internet was great, if I wasn't already preemptively moving (which is harder to do on EM) then odds are I was going to get hit by the edge of one of them.

Joe T.

Did SE clean up the gil shouters? I just realized that I haven't gotten one of those annoying /tells in days.

Nope, went AFK for a few minutes last night and came back to half a dozen of them from the same person with an unintelligible name.

Totakeke

Thanks Kagari and Aeana for the T8 advice. We beat it today. We ignored the last Dreadnought and didn't touch any of the last set of three towers, beat it with 2 deaths (mine and dragoon) during the fight not long after the last Dreadnought spawned. The 3+1+0 really helped stabilize that phase.

The dps check isn't that bad really, but then I dunno what's up with the state of dps in the game now. I was a ilvl90 monk, no new gear in 2.2 except lev weapon, and did 2nd most dps (~289dps) and a bard took the first. Then the other dragoon, summoner, and bard was about the same around ~265dps. The bard kept playing songs so I understand, but what's up with summoner dps? I thought they should be really doing good for this fight. He had like 3-4 drops from SCoB too along with ilvl100 weapon.

Sorian

Banned
Did SE clean up the gil shouters? I just realized that I haven't gotten one of those annoying /tells in days.

Did you set your status in game to /afk? People can't send you tells if you have that afk flag up. And no, I teleport to aleport everyday for dailies and instantly get at least two gil spammers sending me tells.

Alucrid

Banned
Thanks Kagari and Aeana for the T8 advice. We beat it today. We ignored the last Dreadnought and didn't touch any of the last set of three towers, beat it with 2 deaths (mine and dragoon) during the fight not long after the last Dreadnought spawned. The 3+1+0 really helped stabilize that phase.

The dps check isn't that bad really, but then I dunno what's up with the state of dps in the game now. I was a ilvl90 monk, no new gear in 2.2 except lev weapon, and did 2nd most dps (~289dps) and a bard took the first. Then the other dragoon, summoner, and bard was about the same around ~265dps. The bard kept playing songs so I understand, but what's up with summoner dps? I thought they should be really doing good for this fight. He had like 3-4 drops from SCoB too along with ilvl100 weapon.

Seems pretty low. Our DPS ranged from ~300-~390 for that fight and we haven't had the greatest luck with DPS drops so far.

Baleoce

Whatever happened to that feature they mentioned in one of the live with the producer sessions ages ago whereby you could sign up for duty finder and specify your playstyle? Ie. "Speedrun" or ""Practice" or "First time" etc.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Awesome, glad you were able to clear it :).
As for DPS in my group I believe I ended up doing more than the SMN even with songs (310 with TP/Mana song up for a good amount of time) due to being able to move and shoot at the same time while SMN still has to rely on cast bars. That said, our monk is definitely the highest, followed by BLM but everyone should be at 300+ or at least close to it.

Whatever happened to that feature they mentioned in one of the live with the producer sessions ages ago whereby you could sign up for duty finder and specify your playstyle? Ie. "Speedrun" or ""Practice" or "First time" etc.

They always intended for Party Finder to fill that role.

I don't think they ever planned to further fragment DF like that.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The problem with the fight is that you either have to memorize a rotation (which isn't hard but should never really be a requirement, make me memorize what I have to do to counter an attack coming my way, not memorize what move is coming before it comes) or have split-second reflexes/good ping if you'd rather just react to what is coming. If you see all 3 things right when the mark appears/bubble happens on the floor/cast starts, twisters and divebombs on twin are examples of a good reaction time needed to dodge, WotL is an example of needing a reaction time that is too good. Even when my internet was great, if I wasn't already preemptively moving (which is harder to do on EM) then odds are I was going to get hit by the edge of one of them.

In regards to plumes you should typically expect them after stomps. I see nothing wrong with pattern-based fights since you can always anticipate the next set of moves quite easily and has been in video games since forever anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom