• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorian

Banned
In regards to plumes you should typically expect them after stomps. I see nothing wrong with pattern-based fights since you can always anticipate the next set of moves quite easily and has been in video games since forever anyway.

When it comes down to it, all the fights in an MMO are pattern-based but when one of your mechanics comes down to you needing to be dodging it before it even starts to happen, I feel like you've designed wrong. In an action RPG or hack/slash, sure thats the making of an epic boss fight, in an MMO, not so much.

Alucrid

Banned
Well did the EX Moogle fight, it's not so bad...I'm not sure why people hate it

It's long, boring, tedious and repetitive.

When it comes down to it, all the fights in an MMO are pattern-based but when one of your mechanics comes down to you needing to be dodging it before it even starts to happen, I feel like you've designed wrong. In an action RPG or hack/slash, sure thats the making of an epic boss fight, in an MMO, not so much.

You only need to if you're lagging.

Alucrid

Banned
No more long, boring, tedious, and repetitive than Levithan.

That's not true at all in this game. You could have the perfect connection and still be getting garbage from their side.

People like Leviathan then?

Does it matter which side it is? If your connection is fine and the server is fine then what you're saying isn't true. If one of them is bad, then yes, most of the high end dungeons are going to be shitty to play.

dabig2

Did you set your status in game to /afk? People can't send you tells if you have that afk flag up. And no, I teleport to aleport everyday for dailies and instantly get at least two gil spammers sending me tells.

Nope, not afk. But I think it might have to do with me not spending too much time in the main cities the past week. I just know that this week has been quite pleasant without having to blist some spammer asshole.

Sorian

Banned
Does it matter which side it is? If your connection is fine and the server is fine then what you're saying isn't true. If one of them is bad, then yes, most of the high end dungeons are going to be shitty to play.

Well yes, if they are designing these tight fights then they can't have these long issues where their server side sucks. And I can't even begin to imagine what you are talking about, if we want to compare the other two EM primals, as miserable as it would be since the fight is already long enough, laggy garuda wouldnt be much of a problem and a laggy ifrit run would only get dicey during eruptions but those are much more lenient than WotL.

People like Leviathan then?

People have different opinions..... *gasp*

WolvenOne

So, uh, isn't there another Live Letter coming up in the next week? I mean, a proper one. The one last week was more a Q and A session at a fan event.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Just won T5 with Kruz and co, first win and i won the spear, so happeh

1523367_10154125427295440_4051025259723954310_o.jpg

Sorian

Banned
Nope, not afk. But I think it might have to do with me not spending too much time in the main cities the past week. I just know that this week has been quite pleasant without having to blist some spammer asshole.

They tend to frequent the main cities and the daily zones (outer la noscea, aleport, southern than, east shroud) from what I noticed.

Just won T5 with Kruz and co, first win and i won the spear, so happeh

Tiduz is growing up /cry

Alucrid

Banned
Well yes, if they are designing these tight fights then they can't have these long issues where their server side sucks. And I can't even begin to imagine what you are talking about, if we want to compare the other two EM primals, as miserable as it would be since the fight is already long enough, laggy garuda wouldnt be much of a problem and a laggy ifrit run would only get dicey during eruptions but those are much more lenient than WotL.

Not really. Getting hit with the multiple circle AoE in Garuda? Not getting the feather buff in time? Lagging when trying to swap the feather? Ifrit charges, especially if you're a healer? Just because they're not guaranteed one shots doesn't mean it won't make the fight utter shit for you.

And the servers shit the bed quite a lot, but I don't know what these "long issues" are that you're talking about.

I think Moogle Ex is longer, more boring, more tedious and more repetitive than Levithan..... *gasp*

WolvenOne

Eruptions are predictable enough that you can often successfully dodge even when you're lagging.

Actually I've found Plumes to be the same, but I can understand why they'd trip people up so badly. I was in that week multiple times daily for something like three weeks, so, yeah it's not surprising that eventually you'd get to the point where you can predict whats coming next after something like that.

As for lag, it honestly hasn't been a very big issue lately. I sometimes get it on reset days, but aside from that any lagbursts have been both infrequent and very small.

WolvenOne

Moogle EM has its own little charm, due to all the chaos going on. I suppose once you've farmed it for awhile and have thoroughly adjusted to it, it might start getting a little boring.

Honestly though, I haven't farmed it yet, so I haven't reached that point. XD

Sorian

Banned
Not really. Getting hit with the multiple circle AoE in Garuda? Not getting the feather buff in time? Lagging when trying to swap the feather? Ifrit charges, especially if you're a healer? Just because they're not guaranteed one shots doesn't mean it won't make the fight utter shit for you.

And the servers shit the bed quite a lot, but I don't know what these "long issues" are that you're talking about.

I think Moogle Ex is longer, more boring, more tedious and more repetitive than Levithan..... *gasp*

All those things you listed are great but easily preventable, I'm not talking about lag that is freezing the encounter every second and a half, I'm talking about the minor things. In Titan it is causing deaths, in the other two it is causing minor frustration.

Well the 90k's have certainly been happening more frequently since the PS4 launch and have only just started to normalize and, though these wouldn't affect the fights we are talking about, whatever the fuck they did after 2.2 that made 4-mans unresponsive for, what, like a week?

Opinions and all that so whatever but only 3 of those can fall in the opinion umbrella. Mog is a shorter fight.

Alucrid

Banned
All those things you listed are great but easily preventable, I'm not talking about lag that is freezing the encounter every second and a half, I'm talking about the minor things. In Titan it is causing deaths, in the other two it is causing minor frustration.

Well the 90k's have certainly been happening more frequently since the PS4 launch and have only just started to normalize and, though these wouldn't affect the fights we are talking about, whatever the fuck they did after 2.2 that made 4-mans unresponsive for, what, like a week?

Opinions and all that so whatever but only 3 of those can fall in the opinion umbrella. Mog is a shorter fight.

There's a quote from a certain summoner I want to say, but I can't quite recall it. Oh well, plenty of people have and are clearing that content, even people with bad connections like our tank. Seems like it would be something you need to work out yourself if you were even doing it anymore.

Sorian

Banned
There's a quote from a certain summoner I want to say, but I can't quite recall it. Oh well, plenty of people have and are clearing that content, even people with bad connections like our tank. Seems like it would be something you need to work out yourself if you were even doing it anymore.

Long past it and don't care. My point is it is a garbage fight and hopefully SE learned something from it and didn't take the attitude of "work it out yourself" seems like they did since both levi and moogle mog are more about spatial awareness and knowing how to react instead.

What was the quote?! Is it GIMME DAT BUTT?

Sorian

Banned
Eh... nothing really compares to Moogle Mog though.

You said it yourself, you only hate it because you died right at the end multiple times. To use the other primal as an example, if you were hitting the enrage at the end of levi a bunch then you would be saying the same of that fight. Then again, when a mirror just falls into your lap, it's almost like you don't have to worry about those things any more :p

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
You said it yourself, you only hate it because you died right at the end multiple times. To use the other primal as an example, if you were hitting the enrage at the end of levi a bunch then you would be saying the same of that fight. Then again, when a mirror just falls into your lap, it's almost like you don't have to worry about those things any more :p

I wouldn't say a mirror just "fell into my lap"... I almost lost it by one number and I had done Leviathan 30 times previous to even seeing it.

Sorian

Banned
I wouldn't say a mirror just "fell into my lap"... I almost lost it by one number and I had done Leviathan 30 times previous to even seeing it.

30 times and you beat the other 7 (assuming everyone rolled which I'd bet they did) people in your group? Yeah, that's falling into your lap.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

30 is nothing, I did 101 wins before I saw a mirror, rolled a 6 =/
The WHM won it >_<

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
30 times and you beat the other 7 (assuming everyone rolled which I'd bet they did) people in your group? Yeah, that's falling into your lap.

I've still run Leviathan since then so eh. RNG is RNG. Took me 40 Turn 5 kills to even see an Allagan Composite Bow so it can go both ways.

Looks like the story quest levels (40) are about to sync to my current level (41). Guess I'll have my work cut out for me real soon. And the FATEs in Coerthas are a blast, especially when I see a bunch of other people involved. So much exp to gain. I wonder if I would get a bonus if I completed them in a party

The most hilarious thing is that Sorian was bragging about how easy it was for him to get his 12 Atmas awhile back in FC chat and in this thread and how great a system RNG was. Now he's complaining about how rare the mirror drops are from Leviathan. It seems karma does always catch up to you in the end.

Sorian

Banned
The most hilarious thing is that Sorian was bragging about how easy it was for him to get his 12 Atmas awhile back in FC chat and in this thread and how great a system RNG was. Now he's complaining about how rare the mirror drops are from Leviathan. It seems karma does always catch up to you in the end.

I'm not complaining about anything though. Pointing out that a player had a much better time with something doesn't automatically mean I'm complaining about it. Also, let's be real, atmas are chump change, you need to beat a FATE at the chance for one, not a 10 minute boss fight. Now stop baiting me, I'm sure there's a finger over a ban button somewhere.

Teknoman

Even with Titan EX and its reliance on knowing the pattern, It seems like even after a couple of tries, the pattern becomes clear. Even if you watch a video, I dont think that'll help in an actual fight.

Those players didnt have a video before they beat him, so it shouldnt be that important, or at least not as important as actually getting experience within the fight itself.

The toughest enemy in thus game is the monstrosity known as Lag.

Also, have anyone tried playing with "Diablo" camera angle? I tried it and damn it feels totally different lol

Super zoomed out overhead? I'm in that the majority of the time during large boss battles.

aceface

Even with Titan EX and its reliance on knowing the pattern, It seems like even after a couple of tries, the pattern becomes clear. Even if you watch a video, I dont think that'll help in an actual fight.

Those players didnt have a video before they beat him, so it shouldnt be that important, or at least not as important as actually getting experience within the fight itself.

Super zoomed out overhead? I'm in that the majority of the time during large boss battles.

Same here I'm always as zoomed out as possible.

Now if you really want a fun time try doing stuff in first person mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom