• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaoibot

8 fucking hours of grinding for the Crab Atma (my last one, of course)... End result: Jack Shit. Another day like that and I'm cancelling my sub. I understand that video-games are all just diversions from reality, but they should be vacations, and not slave-labour in the mines.

Absolute nonsense. Oh and in the Atma groups I ran with here and there, only one other person got an Atma.

Grinchy

Banned
Spent 30 minutes running around limsa lominsa trying find marauders guild so can grind it to level 15. Made it too lvl10 before calling it a night, soon as finish that to level 15 back to lancer so can finally get dragoon

Yeah that city is IMO the hardest to navigate. It's just so convoluted at first. The surrounding areas are the hardest to navigate too.

Sorian

Banned
8 fucking hours of grinding for the Crab Atma (my last one, of course)... End result: Jack Shit. Another day like that and I'm cancelling my sub. I understand that video-games are all just diversions from reality, but they should be vacations, and not slave-labour in the mines.

Absolute nonsense. Oh and in the Atma groups I ran with here and there, only one other person got an Atma.

Empty threat or real deal? Find out on next week's episode.

Yaoibot

Empty threat or real deal? Find out on next week's episode.

If I wanted some super grindy F2P crap, there's Perfect World, or any of the parent companies other games. The Atma drop rates, and system as a whole are borked. Life is too precious to waste another 2 days (as I'll give it one more) on digital fancies.

Edit: Already cancelled. Runs out in a month. We'll see what the next patchnotes say. Again, life is too short for exercises in frustration. I can only imagine - in a nightmare world - having to do this again for my secondary classes. No. Thank. You.

BlackJace

This voice acting...
TadkV.gif
TadkV.gif

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Man, latency issues are in full force in Titan EX.
Not sure if I can ever do anything about this other than memorizing the rotation to the T.

Sorian

Banned
Why are people spending 8 hours at a time grinding Atma?

There's no content gated by Animus.

Why?

Gotta be ready for that Novus breh.

Alternatively, gives people something to complain about.

Double alternatively and serious advice, how about, when you are getting shitty RNG, take a break, I know that isn't the only thing you are working on in the game (not to you Shamdeo).

SRTtoZ

Finally got my ATMA today. The last 3 Atma only took a few hours, got very very lucky. Ok so I got my atma stardust rod, then started the next quest to upgrade to Animus. I bought the intel book and opened it and it shows me a bunch of stuff to kill, so all I do is follow that? Seems pretty cool.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Finally got my ATMA today. The last 3 Atma only took a few hours, got very very lucky. Ok so I got my atma stardust rod, then started the next quest to upgrade to Animus. I bought the intel book and opened it and it shows me a bunch of stuff to kill, so all I do is follow that? Seems pretty cool.

Enjoy it times 9

The FATEs will either make you go mad or break you

Because they really want to progress past this annoying stage of the quest?

I'd hardly call the atma farm annoying or "the worst grind ever" like so many seem to call it. It's bad when you get terrible rng, but the atma grind is nothing compared to the myth grind. It's one thing if the atma weapon is the best thing you have(which I would question why not atleast have a levi wep), but it sucks beyond belief when you are working on the 9 books knowing full well that each book effectively adds nothing to the weapon to make it useful until you have completed all 9 books. The atma wep is absolute garbage until you fully upgrade it, knowing that you are going from crap to slightly better crap with each 1500 myth is far worse than grinding atma for a few days(at most).

Atleast with atma farming you could constantly follow the pack and grind fates without too much downtime. Try 27 book fates, about 20 of which are on an internal timer which decides when they spawn, that timer is anywhere between 2-4 hours(no matter how much square wants to defend it and say differently, it's clear they put these on a timer after 2.2 to artificially gate people getting books done ever faster).

GraveRobberX

You're doing it wrong if the FATEs get to you.

Have you seen the shouts in certain zones?

People spamming they've been waiting this long for it to pop or shout every 15 minutes asking if said FATE popped

I mean Giant Seps and The Four Winds are a fucking hassle

Ken

tried to get carried in main scenario roulette by watching cutscenes

the group stayed and waited for me to finish cutscenes > >

Sorian

Banned
Have you seen the shouts in certain zones?

People spamming they've been waiting this long for it to pop or shout every 15 minutes asking if said FATE popped

I mean Giant Seps and The Four Winds are a fucking hassle

So don't sit there unless you are doing something else. If you pop into all of the zones for your FATEs in between killing each of the mobs, I promise you are going to knock one or two out of the way and just continue to monitor for that last one, out of 7 books, I've only had to actually sit and wait at two FATEs and even then, just sit there when waiting for your daily roulette queue or while crafting or in a party finder waiting for more people or any other number of things that people do in this game that just involves waiting.

GraveRobberX

Read above

Some of the FATE's are solo-able and gotten over with, unless you can request help from some people, some of the FATEs do bring out the worst in people to get it

Helped someone with the Four Winds Fate, unless your a light party, that thing takes for fucking ever to kill
If you are there from the start maybe you can solo it, with like less than a minute to spare
Some people wait, go do a dungeon, then /shout asking if it popped, if not they repeat the cycle

GraveRobberX

So don't sit there unless you are doing something else. If you pop into all of the zones for your FATEs in between killing each of the mobs, I promise you are going to knock one or two out of the way and just continue to monitor for that last one, out of 7 books, I've only had to actually sit and wait at two FATEs and even then, just sit there when waiting for your daily roulette queue or while crafting or in a party finder waiting for more people or any other number of things that people do in this game that just involves waiting.

I'm not saying that's what I'm doing, I haven't even started the damn thing
Just seen from firsthand, when I'm like in Coerthas or North Shroud

Some people don't have the patience
You would think after the Atma farm they participated in, the books also would be a hurdle

Sorian

Banned
tried to get carried in main scenario roulette by watching cutscenes

the group stayed and waited for me to finish cutscenes > >

Gotta sell it, were you wearing level 43 jewelery?

I'm not saying that's what I'm doing, I haven't even started the damn thing
Just seen from firsthand, when I'm like in Coerthas or North Shroud

Some people don't have the patience
You would think after the Atma farm they participated in, the books also would be a hurdle

Sorry, I quoted you so I'm just going to address you, people are stupid, I know that and you know that. I'm just pointing out that in a case like this stupidity could be easily avoided.

Ken

i90 gear. i'll try it tomorrow with uh, AF and cutter's cry jewelry if i can be bothered to run to the armoire

Yaoibot

The books are measured progress, with a constant pace and light at the end of the tunnel. If you spend 8h working towards the goals listed therein, you will acoomplish, something. If you spend - waste - 8 hours farming Atma, you may accomplish, nothing.

Why is this concept hard to understand? Also, while the CoB modified weapons are technically best in slot, the Atma ones are a continuation of the story gear and have a certain prestige and appeal based on that. Plus they glow. They're cool. The progression of clearing challenging, skill-based trials and doing obscure tasks was broken with the element of pure RNG, which the previous steps in the weapon's evolution did not involve.

SRTtoZ

The books are measured progress, with a constant pace and light at the end of the tunnel. If you spend 8h working towards the goals listed therein, you will acoomplish, something. If you spend - waste - 8 hours farming Atma, you may accomplish, nothing.

Why is this concept hard to understand? Also, while the CoB modified weapons are technically best in slot, the Atma ones are a continuation of the story gear and have a certain prestige and appeal based on that. Plus they glow. They're cool. The progression of clearing challenging, skill-based trials and doing obscure tasks was broken with the element of pure RNG, which the previous steps in the weapon's evolution did not involve.

Ya. I farmed an entire night of atma without getting one, 8 hours...

At least with this I'm working towards something i know is there.

dramatis

So you think the game is wasting your time because you're chasing after something that you think looks cool and gives you prestige?

SRTtoZ

If I wanted some super grindy F2P crap, there's Perfect World, or any of the parent companies other games. The Atma drop rates, and system as a whole are borked. Life is too precious to waste another 2 days (as I'll give it one more) on digital fancies.

Edit: Already cancelled. Runs out in a month. We'll see what the next patchnotes say. Again, life is too short for exercises in frustration. I can only imagine - in a nightmare world - having to do this again for my secondary classes. No. Thank. You.

Wow...honestly I never felt like this throughout my entire grind. Was it fun? Nope but it wasn't that bad...I've definitely done grindier things in MMOs. When it wasn't my night I'd just take a break and craft or spirit bond. All in all it's taken me about a week to farm the atma and that wasn't the only thing I did when I played. All of the atma hate before I began the grind really scared me but it wasn't nearly as bad as they made it out to be. Think of this as a legendary quest line in WoW, something to work towards but there are other means to obtain equal weapons.

Griss

So I just got my summoner job. Yay!

Some questions: Is there any disadvantage to being a summoner rather than an arcanist, or any base class rather than a job? If not, why have this system?

Oh, and is Ifrit-Egi better for DPS than emerald carbuncle? And what about tanking? I was just starting to use topaz a bit as things were starting to hit a bit harder and my gear is 10 levels out of date.

Would it be worth it to go and get conjurer up to lvl 15 so I could play around with scholar as well? And if the base class is so similar how do they make scholar into a healer? Surely 90% of your spells are still DPS? I realise that having all of my points in int would make me borked a bit, but it could still be fun.

aceface

So I just got my summoner job. Yay!

Some questions: Is there any disadvantage to being a summoner rather than an arcanist, or any base class rather than a job? If not, why have this system?

Oh, and is Ifrit-Egi better for DPS than emerald carbuncle? And what about tanking? I was just starting to use topaz a bit as things were starting to hit a bit harder and my gear is 10 levels out of date.

Would it be worth it to go and get conjurer up to lvl 15 so I could play around with scholar as well? And if the base class is so similar how do they make scholar into a healer? Surely 90% of your spells are still DPS? I realise that having all of my points in int would make me borked a bit, but it could still be fun.

No reason to be an arcanist anymore. You get better stats and job abilities as a summoner.

Ifrit is a much better dps than carby. You'll be coming up to some dps checks in upcoming fights so you'll want ifrit out.

You'll be getting a new tanking summon soon just follow the story quests and do your summoner quests every 5 levels.

If you feel like you might enjoy healing, sure do scholar. The scholar pet has all healing and support abilities and all the scholar job skills are healing. You will level up summoner and scholar simultaneously but in the end for endgame stuff you'll have to pick one to focus on because of skill point allocation. All points should go into int for summoner or mind for scholar. Personally I main scholar but I use summoner for solo stuff like daily missions cause enemies go down a lot quicker with a dps pet and fester (a summoner job skill).

Griss

No reason to be an arcanist anymore. You get better stats and job abilities as a summoner.

Ifrit is a much better dps than carby. You'll be coming up to some dps checks in upcoming fights so you'll want ifrit out.

You'll be getting a new tanking summon soon just follow the story quests and do your summoner quests every 5 levels.

If you feel like you might enjoy healing, sure do scholar. The scholar pet has all healing and support abilities and all the scholar job skills are healing. You will level up summoner and scholar simultaneously but in the end for endgame stuff you'll have to pick one to focus on because of skill point allocation. All points should go into int for summoner or mind for scholar. Personally I main scholar but I use summoner for solo stuff like daily missions cause enemies go down a lot quicker with a dps pet and fester (a summoner job skill).

Thanks!

Yeah I just tried Ifrit out, he's awesome and the first really huge upgrade I feel like I've gotten to my character.

One thing I'm not fond of in this game is how they give spells the same name that don't replace each other. So you'd imagine Bio 2 replacing Bio 1, but they're different and you use both. Same with Blizzard and Blizzard 2 for Thaumaturge. It's stupid, and it feels like they didn't want to colour outside of the 'traditional FF spell names' lines. I have been confused many times at getting a new spell or ability and originally thinking the old one should drop out of my rotation.

Even Ifrit is called 'Summon 3'. Come on, guys. That's lame.

Sorian

Banned
Thanks!

Yeah I just tried Ifrit out, he's awesome and the first really huge upgrade I feel like I've gotten to my character.

One thing I'm not fond of in this game is how they give spells the same name that don't replace each other. So you'd imagine Bio 2 replacing Bio 1, but they're different and you use both. Same with Blizzard and Blizzard 2 for Thaumaturge. It's stupid, and it feels like they didn't want to colour outside of the 'traditional FF spell names' lines. I have been confused many times at getting a new spell or ability and originally thinking the old one should drop out of my rotation.

I would have rather they stuck with the whole Blizzard/Blizzara/Blizzaga thing myself.

Sophia

Thanks!

I think it's made worse by the fact that there's both ability bloat and one or two cases where such abilities do drop out of your rotation. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom