• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtmofo

Neo Member
Is there a list of quests that offer unique rewards (anything not related to weapons/armor, think emotes, materia, etc.)?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
What this game sorely needs is some vocals from the characters. The battles are just so eerily quiet. We need some battle cries and shrieks. I really don't know why the characters don't make any sound. It really sucks. Come to think of it the battles seems to be missing battle sounds in general, even weapons sounds etc.

Make sure you didn't mute some effects. =x

What the game sorely needed was individual race animations per job/class. It's pretty lame that every race uses every weapon in the exact same manner. A Lalafell should not swing an axe like a Roegadyn does who swings an axe like a Hyur does and so on. =( Sucked all the flavor out of the races for me.

Amneisac

So how do people level now? I played at launch and it was mostly just FATE grinding and it was kind of boring. I've been thinking about trying it out now, have things changed much in that regard?

Sophia

Ability bloat? Jobs in this game have like six abilities.

That's why the ability bloat stands out so much. Paladin defensive CDs have been mentioned before, and then there are things like the Arcanist's Ruin/Ruin II and Conjurer's Stone/Stone II. I'm still not sure why those two specific examples aren't handled by traits instead.

So how do people level now? I played at launch and it was mostly just FATE grinding and it was kind of boring. I've been thinking about trying it out now, have things changed much in that regard?

FATE grinding still works (and at the best of times is still ideal XP), but virtually every other means of gaining XP has been buffed. Dungeons and Duty Roulettes are a popular source, especially for tanks and healers, and levequests are good all around now. You also have the Hunting Log and the Challenge Log providing good XP.

So how do people level now?

FATEs are definitely not the end all be all source of quick leveling now. Duty Roulettes give good exp bonuses and the addition of the Challenge Log also provides another great source of exp. You'll still see FATE grinding parties in places like Coerthas, but there's more variety to leveling now.

hank_tree

Trash mobs in dungeons give much more XP than they did back in the day. So dungeons are more viable for leveling. They are also a lot less tedious than FATE grinding.

On top of that there is a Duty Roulette which drops you into a random dungeon and gives you bonus XP once per day. Often the Bonus XP + the XP from the dungeon is enough to get you to your next level.

And on top of that there are weekly challenges that grant Bonus XP( e.g. Complete 10 Fates. Complete 3 guildhests etc.)

Amneisac

FATE grinding still works (and at the best of times is still ideal XP), but virtually every other means of gaining XP has been buffed. Dungeons and Duty Roulettes are a popular source, especially for tanks and healers, and levequests are good all around now. You also have the Hunting Log and the Challenge Log providing good XP.

Cool, thank you. I went ahead and resubbed. Is the GAF guild still on Sargatanas?

I'm also thinking about picking up a copy for a friend, it looks like it's $20 at GMG, is that about the best deal going right now?

Alex

Ability bloat is kind of tame in this, but after an expansion and with controllers it could become a thing. It's something I hope they keep in mind when they start rolling out new ideas, at least.

Moreso than bloat there is an issue with how much dead weight there is, especially when quality of life and utility spread is still really wonky. The amount of useless AoE spells is certainly ripe for a pass along with plenty of others.

Sophia

Cool, thank you. I went ahead and resubbed. Is the GAF guild still on Sargatanas?

I'm also thinking about picking up a copy for a friend, it looks like it's $20 at GMG, is that about the best deal going right now?

There is a GAF guild there, yes. However the most prominent and active GAF guild is on Ultros.

Ability bloat is kind of tame in this, but after an expansion and with controllers it could become a thing. It's something I hope they keep in mind when they start rolling out new ideas, at least.

Moreso than bloat there is an issue with how much dead weight there is, especially when quality of life and utility spread is still really wonky. The amount of useless AoE spells is certainly ripe for a pass along with plenty of others.

Ugh, yeah. Those really infuriate me. I'm still not sure when/if to use Tri-Disaster on my Summoner. Luckily it's not my main, so I don't need to exactly figure it out right away.

Amneisac

There is a GAF guild there, yes. However the most prominent and active GAF guild is on Ultros.

Okay, I see I have a character on Sarg. and Ultros, so I'm not sure which I was playing on primarily at launch. I think I got to level 35 or so on my Paladin, but I'm not sure.

Cs7fe8F.jpg

More DRG stuff, of course. Now I have to level DRG.

Not pictured, our off tank picking things up like a pro in the last phase

How often does Ultros open up for character creation? I know the link to keep checking but I'm just wondering if it opens up frequently? Or could it be weeks before I get in.

Ok, so I have never been much of an MMO player.

Im going on vacation in June and though about FFXIV for PS4 (mostly cause I dont do well with keyboards). Had a few questions and hoped you guys could help me:

1) Does this play well with controller?
2) I loved old FF and didnt even play XIII. Is the gameplay/lore/presentation more like XIII or previous FF games?
3) Is this game noob-friendly? :p
4) I dont have real interest in PvP. Is there enough PvE content? Even end game?

Thanks in advance for all the help :)

Alex

Ugh, yeah. Those really infuriate me. I'm still not sure when/if to use Tri-Disaster on my Summoner. Luckily it's not my main, so I don't need to exactly figure it out right away.

AoE just needs a tune up, there's a good chunk of limited use or entirely redundant ones that could fit in a lot better considering the game on the whole:

-Tri-Disaster
-Ring of Thorns
-Freeze
-Rain of Death (post-nerf)
-Wide Volley
-Arm of the Destroyer
-Blizzard II (post-nerf)

A few of these just need some more thought and care, others need to be redesigned or removed outright. I hope for a really good class pass in the future, I don't expect anything crazy but having a look at AoE or other goofiness (Surecast, Shroud of Saints not scaling, Paladin defensives, Summons, etc) and putting things back into line would be great.

The bard aoes could definitely use some more thought to them. At the moment the t1/2 ones are only really used if you get a proc on t3, they add nothing other than a little extra flash. It was one thing when rain actually did something worthwhile so that you could use it as more than just a proc, but now they may as well just scrap the t1/2 aoes and nerf the tp cost of t3 to make up for the lack of free procs.

Im going on vacation in June and though about FFXIV for PS4 (mostly cause I dont do well with keyboards). Had a few questions and hoped you guys could help me:

2) I loved old FF and didnt even play XIII. Is the gameplay/lore/presentation more like XIII or previous FF games?
4) I dont have real interest in PvP. Is there enough PvE content? Even end game?

1. Very well - takes a bit to get it perfected but once you get your hotbar set up and used to the target cycling its great.
2. Hard to compare really but i'd say more like the previous games
3. Yes
4. Yes

Lebron

1) Yeah, it works well with controller. Some minor things like communicating or targeting may take some getting use to.
2) It reminds me of old FF's with the whole "fantasy exploring" vibe it gives off, especially when you're riding on a Chocobo through a new area in awe. Presentations value is great, the game is nice to look at. The story is still garbage though, that hasn't changed.
3) It's noob friendly early on, but I found as you get higher level it assumes you know what you're doing or know people who do at that point.
4) Plenty of PvE content. I'm not sure of end game, haven't got there yet.

Alex

The bard aoes could definitely use some more thought to them. At the moment the t1/2 ones are only really used if you get a proc on t3, they add nothing other than a little extra flash. It was one thing when rain actually did something worthwhile so that you could use it as more than just a proc, but now they may as well just scrap the t1/2 aoes and nerf the tp cost of t3 to make up for the lack of free procs.

Yeah, right now it's just multi-DoT and if you have enough targets to make it worth while, you spam Quick Nock.

Wide Volley isn't poor on it's own but its very redundant with Quick Nock, it's just a big breakdown of luck with the proc across how many casts you'll be doing. The majority of the time it just goes in Quick Nocks favor.

It'd be nice if they just ditched one of the two, got rid of the procs and made Rain of Death hit harder and put it's dmg reduction back with the ability on a 1 minute cooldown or something. Make it fun to push.

Ring of Thorns seems fine to me. It has its uses for when Doom Spike isn't as worthwhile.

It's pretty slim outside of the combo. It's one of the less troubled ones, but it could certainly use a pass over.

1. Very well - takes a bit to get it perfected but once you get your hotbar set up and used to the target cycling its great.
2. Hard to compare really but i'd say more like the previous games
3. Yes
4. Yes

1) Yeah, it works well with controller. Some minor things like communicating or targeting may take some getting use to.
2) It reminds me of old FF's with the whole "fantasy exploring" vibe it gives off, especially when you're riding on a Chocobo through a new area in awe. Presentations value is great, the game is nice to look at. The story is still garbage though, that hasn't changed.
3) It's noob friendly early on, but I found as you get higher level it assumes you know what you're doing or know people who do at that point.
4) Plenty of PvE content. I'm not sure of end game, haven't got there yet.

Thanks for the replies. Will look more into it. :)

Aeana

That's why the ability bloat stands out so much. Paladin defensive CDs have been mentioned before, and then there are things like the Arcanist's Ruin/Ruin II and Conjurer's Stone/Stone II. I'm still not sure why those two specific examples aren't handled by traits instead.

Traits? Not sure what you mean, because those spells have different effects. Ruin 1 is a regular casted spell that does damage. Ruin 2 is an instant cast spell that costs more MP and can blind enemies. Stone 1 is can apply heavy to enemies, stone 2 does not. Sometimes you want a different effect. They're not the same spells.

dramatis

I don't think it's bloat though. Stone has Heavy status effect. Ruin and Ruin II are also distinguished by Ruin II's Blind effect and it is instant as opposed to the 2 sec cast time of Ruin I. While I use Stone a lot less at 50 WHM, I still use Ruin II as 50 SCH/SMN if the situation is right.

The lower level abilities have their uses when level-synced.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

just hit level 30 and wanted to chime in - this is the most classic Final Fantasy game since IX. feels like you're finally a character in a huge FF world when you're riding a chocobo and traversing the world listening to the music and taking in the sights.

SRTtoZ

I kind of get what you're saying but the abilities are different. As a BLM, even though I have Fire I,II,III, they all have their uses in certain scenarios. Fire II is an AOE, fire 1 is my basic attack and fire 3 is used to get 3 stacks of astral fire and used for firestarter procs. Same goes with lightning 1-2-3, I hardly ever hardcast lightning 3 unless I get a proc.

Item Box

if anything, the addition of newer abilities in future content will probably mean the removal of some older ones down the line. 3 hotbars(2 cross) are enough for me

IvorB

I have like.. all of that stuff. You may have muted it in options.

Oops. Had the sound effects turned down a bit because I wanted to hear the music more. It's still not that amazing with it all the way up. I can barely hear the other characters. Maybe I'm just spoiled by Dragon's Dogma.

Maybe they'll add a tank job for LNC and you can use it then.
I dunno how you can say this with so many BRDs everywhere.

You should play a Bard

Do they actually sing? I've never heard this.

IvorB

just hit level 30 and wanted to chime in - this is the most classic Final Fantasy game since IX. feels like you're finally a character in a huge FF world when you're riding a chocobo and traversing the world listening to the music and taking in the sights.

Indeed. This game is rebuilding my shattered and scarred relationship with the Final Fantasy series.

Aeana

You should be careful about that screeenshot. Spoilerish.
Everybody who beats turn 5 posts a shot at that area.
Besides, if you didn't know Bahamut was going to be imprisoned in a dungeon called "The Binding Coil of Bahamut," I'm not sure what to say.

Ken

That he's imprisoned like that? Yeah.

bind [bahynd]
verb (used with object), bound, bind·ing.
1. to fasten or secure with a band or bond.
2. to encircle with a band or ligature: She bound her hair with a ribbon.
3. to swathe or bandage (often followed by up): to bind up one's wounds.
4. to fasten around; fix in place by girding: They bound his hands behind him.
5. to tie up (anything, as sheaves of grain).

;o

Zomba13

It was a spoiler before but not really any more. IT's obvious that Bahamut would be involved in the Binding Coil of Bahamut and yeah, the picture isn't what you'd think it'd be like but it's hard to handle spoilers in an MMO.

2nd coil looks to be a bigger spoiler though. Could just be me interpreting the pic I saw with no context as to the story but it looked like
He was getting rebuilt

Also, how the hell is the eventual Bahamut fight going to work? We have to face him at some point right? But he is fucking massive. Like, don't you fight Twintania on his palm or arm or something? You at least run about on his hand at some point. A whole group of 8 can fit in the palm of his hand! How do you fight that!?

Zomba13

with a cutscene and some dialogue boxes

:(

Cid: Oh no! Bahamut is wreaking our shit! Quickly, get me an anti-aspected aether crystal cluster of water, an anti-aspected aether crystal cluster of earth, an anti-aspected aether crystal cluster of fire and an anti-aspected aether crystal cluster of air. You can get one as a random from from a FATE in this, that and the other zone. Go now! You are our only hope!

*Ten hours later*

Cid: Thank you for these crystals.

Cid: Oh no! It looks like I was wrong. These will do bugger all. Go get me this other shit from the four corners of the world.

*Four hours later*

Cid: Ah, you're back and not a moment too soon! This will work!

*Cid puts thingies into the whatsitcalled and Bahamut is now put into a ball or something*

Cid: Well done! You defeated Bahamut! Here is a key or something so you can ride him as a mount.

suzu

Also, how the hell is the eventual Bahamut fight going to work? We have to face him at some point right? But he is fucking massive. Like, don't you fight Twintania on his palm or arm or something? You at least run about on his hand at some point. A whole group of 8 can fit in the palm of his hand! How do you fight that!?

24-man raid with each group fighting a different body part.
eg: Hur-hur, alliance C got the butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom