• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart444

Holy shit, I haven't been paying attention. Why the hell do they need so much time for new content patches?

No idea, someone a few pages back said it was like that before 2.1 as well but I didn't join the game til like a few weeks after 2.1 or something.

Kenai

Holy shit, I haven't been paying attention. Why the hell do they need so much time for new content patches?

FF11 was the same way where main. lasted a good part of the day. I was hoping it would be different now but oh well.

Maybe I can go super oldschool and go browsing for .dat mining discoveries that afternoon.

Sorian

Banned
It's not just a content patch. They're doing backend improvements and changing the instance server structure too.

Was that the excuse for the 2.1 launch too? I remember that one was in the neighborhood of 15 hours. Maybe they should actually spread out their patches instead of killing the server for a full day.

Kenai

Was that the excuse for the 2.1 launch too? I remember that one was in the neighborhood of 15 hours. Maybe they should actually spread out their patches instead of killing the server for a full day.

I prefer it this way. I can easily "take a day off" vs consistently getting maintenance during times I would like to play.

I can't count how many times there's been 'suspicious activity on my account' and I've had to reset my password. 10+. Once every week or so it makes me fucking do this.

The 'suspicious activity' is me resetting my god damn router.

Sophia

I can't count how many times there's been 'suspicious activity on my account' and I've had to reset my password. 10+. Once every week or so it makes me fucking do this.

Have you considered all the possibilities as to why this may be happening?

Sorian

Banned
I prefer it this way. I can easily "take a day off" vs consistently getting maintenance during times I would like to play.

They already do maintenance about once a week anyway, if they just took all of those mini-maintenances and just doubled them then we wouldn't have to deal with a full day gone. They do them at times that the servers are dead anyway and its better than getting me excited for new content and then making us wait so long the day of.

It happens every time I reset my router, that's all. I'll need to start using that ridiculous one-time-password every time I want to play.

"Ridiculous" It should be mandatory.

dramatis

They consider if your IP changes that someone else may be logging into your account, if you use one time password the problem will be fixed.

Aeana

This does not happen if you attach a security token or the software token app to your account.

This does not happen if you attach a security token or the software token app to your account.

Yeah, I'm trying to but I can't reset my password at the moment because (I think) they are doing maintenance and won't send me the password reset page (only way to access it).

WolvenOne

If they are improving their backend the 25 hour maintenance is justified. It means they are going to be physically installing new hardware, installing software onto it, and then testing the hardware before putting things back online.

That can be a very time consuming process, but assuming there are no game breaking bugs it should result in a less laggy more stable game play experience.

Seeing as I've gotten a ton more disconnects and lag since the PS4 beta, that is probably warranted. Some of that is surely software bugs, or issues on my end, but some of it isn't, and I'm ccertain even more people will be signing up for the PS4 launch.

Sorian

Banned
Even better, anything involving new hardware and software and anything like that should have been done this week during a long maintenance while everyone is disinterested in the game then just drop the content patch during a much shorter maintenance on Monday when people care about the game again.

WolvenOne

Even better, anything involving new hardware and software and anything like that should have been done this week during a long maintenance while everyone is disinterested in the game then just drop the content patch during a much shorter maintenance on Monday when people care about the game again.

There is going to be a lengthy maintenance when they patch it in either case. By doing the server upgrades at the same time as the patch, they will have reduced the overall time the game will spend in maintenance.

Also, by doing it at the same time they assure that any unforseen bugs from both the patch and the server upgrades can be caught and addressed at the same time, which would further reduce the overall time the game spends in maintenance over the coming weeks.

Basically, by doing it this way, they reduce the chances of repeat major problems slightly. Given the likelihood of major problems during a new patch, this is a wise move.

Sorian

Banned
There is going to be a lengthy maintenance when they patch it in either case. By doing the server upgrades at the same time as the patch, they will have reduced the overall time the game will spend in maintenance.

Also, by doing it at the same time they assure that any unforseen bugs from both the patch and the server upgrades can be caught and addressed at the same time, which would further reduce the overall time the game spends in maintenance over the coming weeks.

Basically, by doing it this way, they reduce the chances of repeat major problems slightly. Given the likelihood of major problems during a new patch, this is a wise move.

Except now they've doubled up the amount of potential bugs that can (and will) hit them at once.

Isaccard

Except now they've doubled up the amount of potential bugs that can (and will) hit them at once.

You keep arguing against the the game being down for the alloted time stated to implement the patch. Do you not have anything else/better to do for that time period?

Stuart444

Thanks to Drama, Scything, Xtech, Remi, Gry and Kirye (I think?) for helping me and Alice get our relics. Sorry for being so off tonight. Normally I don't die that much at Ifrit (though Garuda went smooth and Titan I survived til the very last % of his HP at least)

Got our Zeniths now as well. Also I got the Garuda SCH book, that looks coool.

Sorian

Banned
You keep arguing against the the game being down for the alloted time stated to implement the patch. Do you not have anything else/better to do for that time period?

Nope FFXIV is my life and I have absolutely nothing else to do at any point in time except for being logged into the game.

Sorry that I feel the need to point out when SE does things assbackwards for bad reasons

I don't understand why this is such an issue...

Your subscription-based service should never be down for a full 24 hours barring major conditions like a hack of everyone's account info.

Sorian

Banned
It certainly didn't state in the ToS that the game can go down for any length of time for any reason or anything.

Great lengths to defend inefficiancy there. I enjoy the game just as much as the next person but some of the logistics could be handled much better.

Nope FFXIV is my life and I have absolutely nothing else to do at any point in time except for being logged into the game.

Sorry that I feel the need to point out when SE does things assbackwards for bad reasons

Your subscription-based service should never be down for a full 24 hours barring major conditions like a hack of everyone's account info.

It's like...one day...I don't understand how a game going down for one day to implement a giant patch is a bad thing.

Great lengths to defend inefficiancy there. I enjoy the game just as much as the next person but some of the logistics could be handled much better.

You don't actually know if that's the case. You are just complaining about the end result.

Maintaining MMO servers is no joke, and it's not to the company's benefit to make downtime any longer than it already is.

WolvenOne

The patch is happening anyway, because it must happen.

The backend upgrades are happening anyway, because they must happen.

The bugs will happen anyway, because there are always some.

Many if not most of the bugs will require little time and resources to fix. So practically they can fix multiple bugs simultaneously.

So by doing it both at the same time, they reduce the total time they will need to be down to fix the resulting bugs.

Yes it's a shame it'll be down that long, but I can find something else to do for an evening. XD

ia6KBBy.png
WTB this little guy as a minion.

Also I'm leveling CUL and like making everything at least once for that bonus exp, let me know if there is any food you want in the FC chest and I'll try to make it. Gathering most of the mats is pretty easy...

Taruranto

Meh, don't care about maintenance, not like there is reason to log now for more than 1 hour anyway. Content-wise current game is dead

chrono01

I personally don't mind the 25-hour maintenance, since I know it's something that [more-or-less] needs to be done.

It's regretful, but at least I have other games in my backlog to hold my attention until the servers come online again. :)

Sophia

I swear to god that Yoshida was reading my mind with the Challenge Log. It's something I've wanted since phase 2 of the beta. Gonna love trying to complete the challenges each week to level.

Kenai

I'm not gonna say I like it, but it's pretty standard. EQ, WoW, Ultima, EVE they've all had stuff like this when i played. I can't really think of a "major" MMO that hasn't actually.

Teknoman

I swear to god that Yoshida was reading my mind with the Challenge Log. It's something I've wanted since phase 2 of the beta. Gonna love trying to complete the challenges each week to level.

Yeah challenge log is going to be nice. I need for them to make another reason to go to Wanderer's Palace, since everyone is scared of tonberries :/

I havent had the chance to visit the dungeon, but no one wants to go / I dont want to duty find it the first time lol.

Sophia

I'm not gonna say I like it, but it's pretty standard. EQ, WoW, Ultima, EVE they've all had stuff like this when i played. I can't really think of a "major" MMO that hasn't actually.

Only one I can think of is Guild Wars / Guild wars 2, but ArenaNet has some sort of technical wizardry going on there. That game is like never down.

All day maintenance is pretty common otherwise. It's not like FFXIV has even a lot of it. Usually just on patch days.

Kenai

Only one I can think of is Guild Wars / Guild wars 2, but ArenaNet has some sort of technical wizardry going on there. That game is like never down.

All day maintenance is pretty common otherwise. It's not like FFXIV has even a lot of it. Usually just on patch days.

I remember quite a few times trying to log into EQ to "discover" it was down. That game would go down all day with no warning whatsoever. I heard WoW was the same in the early days but I didn't play back then.

FF11 was bad too since unlike FF14 they were way worse about scheduling maintenance during NA prime time.

Sophia

I remember quite a few times trying to log into EQ to "discover" it was down. That game would go down all day with no warning whatsoever. I heard WoW was the same in the early days but I didn't play back then.

FF11 was bad too since unlike FF14 they were way worse about scheduling maintenance during NA prime time.

World of Warcraft was pretty much downright awful in its early days. They had to keep refunding play time over it for the first year or so, because the servers were never stable. Even after that, patch days were also undesirable days to raid on. If the servers weren't acting up, something else was broke. I loaded into Ulduar on patch day and got my character promptly stuck in a loading screen, and of course everyone else was having the same issue so GMs were swamped and took forever.

FFXIV's minor downtime is truly nothing compared to previous MMOs. >.<

Stuart444

So been a productive day of FFXIV for me. Zenith for SCH, Roulettes twice (didn't do it yesterday so got it in before reset), T1 + 2 which capped myth and got the story up to near Mog fight (just finished the Guildhest mission. The feeler one.) so should hopefully get to that tomorrow or Monday.

Most folks in the FC seem to say the fights easy but we'll see. At least I'm close to finishing the 2.1 story, ready for 2.2!

Maybe if I can beat Garuda EX, I can also fit some Ultima HM in before patch day. Again, another one I've not beaten lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom