• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number45

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the cross hotbar, while still using the keyboard for some abilities? Wondered if I could assign a macro for marking to 1/2/3.

dramatis

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the cross hotbar, while still using the keyboard for some abilities? Wondered if I could assign a macro for marking to 1/2/3.
If you are on PC or PS4, this is possible.

On controller though, to make things much easier you can do (I think? can't remember exactly)
/mk attack <t>
And if you use it on successive targets, they will mark 1/2/3 automatically.

To correct any marker problems you have, there is

Jinko

Yea you can but you will have to remember what you have bound to the number keys.

Stuart444

Is there a way to get rid of this floating pet hotbar?

iZ7NbhymEhK1F.png

had it when I got onto the
Magitek
during story roulette recently and just now here with this daily.

I had it happen after a recent patch with my normal SCH/SMN pets but got rid of it somehow, yet it remains for the two instances above :/. (II hadn't done story roulette in a while or dailies... at all until recently so didn't even know it would still happen in those cases)

Number45

Yea you can but you will have to remember what you have bound to the number keys.
\o/

Just wanted to bind 1/2/3 really, so it should be easy enough to remember. Nobody's moaned at me for not marking yet (just for turning Ifrit towards the group, which is fair comment), but I'm sure it'll come.

frequency

So after 3 jobs to 50, we finally decided to try a FATE group.
Because I couldn't take leveling Black Mage anymore (I really hate the Astral Fire/Umbral Ice mechanics).

And... wow... I have to say I was really dumb for holding out so long. FATE grinding is so much faster and it's not any less active than running dungeons over and over.

I was so wrong about this.

Leveling via dungeons is fine if you're a tank or a healer that can get a party in seconds, but the time you'd wait in line to get a party as DPS you'll get like 4 levels via fates.

aceface

Magitek

I had it happen after a recent patch with my normal SCH/SMN pets but got rid of it somehow, yet it remains for the two instances above :/. (II hadn't done story roulette in a while or dailies... at all until recently so didn't even know it would still happen in those cases)

I couldn't figure out how to get rid of it. Finally I just dragged it into the corner off the screen.

So after 3 jobs to 50, we finally decided to try a FATE group.
Because I couldn't take leveling Black Mage anymore (I really hate the Astral Fire/Umbral Ice mechanics).

And... wow... I have to say I was really dumb for holding out so long. FATE grinding is so much faster and it's not any less active than running dungeons over and over.

I was so wrong about this.

It's like we've come full circle. They buffed dungeon exp because everyone complained about fate grinding.

frequency

It's like we've come full circle. They buffed dungeon exp because everyone complained about fate grinding.

I never did FATE grinding before last night so this is a new experience for me.

It's just more efficient with randoms. Since it's so many people you're not dependent on everyone else being able to play properly.

Also Duty Roulette wasn't an option for us so there is very little dungeon variety and it gets really boring. FATE grinding isn't exactly fun either but it's way less painful and there is no time commitment. We can come and go as we please.

We got 5 levels yesterday (38 - 43). I haven't leveled that much in one day ever.

It's too bad there aren't many FATE groups on my server anymore.

Dunan

there is very little dungeon variety and it gets really boring.

I wonder whose idea it was to have the distinctive and interesting music for each dungeon play only for the first 30 seconds or so, befose switching to the utterly boring generic dungeon fight music.

It would give the dungeons much more character and flavor if their theme music were allowed to keep playing in the background the entire time, with perhaps just a switchover for the bosses.

WolvenOne

I've said it before and, at risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll say it again. Play the game at a pace that's comfortable for you. If leveling jobs, whether it be via Fates Dungeons or whatever, isn't all that fun after an hour, then don't spend more then an hour leveling jobs.

Just using myself as an example. I've been playing since launch, nearly every day, and only have three jobs leveled to 50. WAR, PLD, and DRG. I still enjoy leveling jobs, but I'm forcing myself to spend a week or two between jumping into new jobs, because I know I'll burn myself out if that's all I do.

You just kinda, gotta know what you can handle, and budget, your gaming time accordingly.

I've said it before and, at risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll say it again. Play the game at a pace that's comfortable for you. If leveling jobs, whether it be via Fates Dungeons or whatever, isn't all that fun after an hour, then don't spend more then an hour leveling jobs.

Just using myself as an example. I've been playing since launch, nearly every day, and only have three jobs leveled to 50. WAR, PLD, and DRG. I still enjoy leveling jobs, but I'm forcing myself to spend a week or two between jumping into new jobs, because I know I'll burn myself out if that's all I do.

You just kinda, gotta know what you can handle, and budget, your gaming time accordingly.

This is really good advice. I found myself leveling like made for the first 19 levels and then realizing that there was a story line... it is amazing, and I actually like the story line better than power leveling to end game.

Magitek

Go to Character Configuration, Hotbar settings and where it shows horizontal hotbars, turn them all off. I believe that should do the trick

IMBored

I have a question. During my time with the beta, after I got my char 15-20 I went to the other cities and saw lots of lv 5-10 missions. Is it better to wait and do those with an alt job, like I did with a conjurer, or isn't it worth it? Also, regarding attribute points, do they screw you in case you jump from a melee DPS to caster?

I have a question. During my time with the beta, after I got my char 15-20 I went to the other cities and saw lots of lv 5-10 missions. Is it better to wait and do those with an alt job, like I did with a conjurer, or isn't it worth it? Also, regarding attribute points, do they screw you in case you jump from a melee DPS to caster?

Usualy best to leave lower leveled side quests in other cities for your second job.

And attribute points are per class, though for ACN if you go full INT and wish to be a SCH, you need to use seals to reset the points.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Also, regarding attribute points, do they screw you in case you jump from a melee DPS to caster?

No every class has their own Attribute Points to allocate, a total of 30 by the time you hit 50

So if you play LNC/DRG you want to allocate the AP into STR
If you say switch to THM/BLM, it will have it's own 30 points, you would put those in INT

AP is not shared for 7/8 classes/jobs except 1
Only time it becomes an issue is during ACN when you have to go either SMN or SCH
Most go 15/15 in MND/INT or 30 into the class they'll play the most, some min/max by buying the Hymns for 10K seals and resetting it often for the task at hand

Edit: Beaten

Dunan

Those are there for the jobs that originate in those cities, though of course you can now take any job you like and do any mission that meets your level.

Doing them when over-leveled won't give you much experience, so save them for your secondary jobs.

GraveRobberX

Thanks guys, I never noticed my lv15 CNJ in the beta had unspent attribute points. I feel like a fool now.

Put them into MND

Most of the AP is already set in stone, not many try to skew from the stats most beneficial to said class

Put them into MND

Most of the AP is already set in stone, not many try to skew from the stats most beneficial to said class

Hey GraveRobberX, are you playing on the PC or PS3. Seeing you post in the thread on gaming side about racking up the PS3 achievements like a boss I imagine you play on the PS3.

Oh and do you still have that wicked awesome beard. I bet that nets you extra XP.

GraveRobberX

Hey GraveRobberX, are you playing on the PC or PS3. Seeing you post in the thread on gaming side about racking up the PS3 achievements like a boss I imagine you play on the PS3.

Oh and do you still have that wicked awesome beard. I bet that nets you extra XP.

Yeah I'm on the PS3, FFXIV stopped me from Trophy Hunting, very rarely do I play anything else, except maybe a PS4 game of BF4 or KZSF

I'm trying to get the platinum for this game
Only 4 trophies stand in the way for me getting Platinum
(Make 1,000 ARM & BSM items; I'm at around 650 made items for both crafts, so I'll try to make the easiest item from the lower tiers and quicksynth them to hit the marker
Beat Turn 5... I'll now have to wait after nerf, Coil hasn't been kind to me
Use up 1,000 Leves, so far I'm hovering in the 850+ leves used so far (if I did my math right), need roughly 1.5 weeks to finish that 1 off)
Then get Platinum, move onto PS4 and hopefully, trigger the whole set all over again

Yes I still have my beard, it's achieving sentient status

frequency

I wonder whose idea it was to have the distinctive and interesting music for each dungeon play only for the first 30 seconds or so, befose switching to the utterly boring generic dungeon fight music.

It would give the dungeons much more character and flavor if their theme music were allowed to keep playing in the background the entire time, with perhaps just a switchover for the bosses.

I know what you mean. The music makes the dungeon intros exciting. I've resorted to playing my own music (usually FFXI...).

Kind of related: I think in general there isn't enough variety in the music of this game.

More newb questions. Should I worry about end game content, are there people in the guild still needing to do it or is it pretty much l33t players that have their own cliques? I recall in WoW that the guild I was in had 2 raid groups and everyone else was ignored for end game content.

WolvenOne

So, Lost City is supposed to be harder then Pharos Sirius currently is, and I'm assuming that's where they're going to have the Darklight armor drop. (Though I could perhaps see them dropping it at the new HM's and giving new drops for Lost City.)

Assuming however that we are indeed talking about ilvl70 armor however, is there a good chance that Lost City will become the new Pharos? I mean, even if it is it won't be quite as bad, as the roulette will be considerably larger so you'll have fewer chances of ending up there randomly, but still.

Will iLvl70 armor be enough to keep people going back there?

EDIT: PS, I really want to run Pharos one last time, before the nerf, but with a competent party whom I can trust to handle the Siren fight. XD

More newb questions. Should I worry about end game content, are there people in the guild still needing to do it or is it pretty much l33t players that have their own cliques? I recall in WoW that the guild I was in had 2 raid groups and everyone else was ignored for end game content.
If your FC won't help you clear content, it's pretty easy to find some groups to go with.

I would think so, just for level progression unless there are dungeons of similar difficulty that give better leveled armor.

If your FC won't help you clear content, it's pretty easy to find some groups to go with.

Thanks, I appreciate the heads up. I imagine things will spike back up once the game is released for the ps4.

aceface

Well with coil there will always be static parties just because of the way it's set up (weekly lockouts, once you do a turn, or level of coil, you can't go back to it that week). I'm pretty much geared enough to start coil now but it's been hard to find a party because most people are locked up into a static. Granted I didn't try very hard. On thursday this will be fixed for Turn 1-5 cause they are lifting the lockout but it will be the same situation now for Turn 6-9.

Everything else I've had no trouble finding people to run with. This includes relic trains, Ultima HM, CT. Usually I can either get a full party from the FC or enough people that we can fill the other spots quickly in party finder or duty finder.

Well with coil there will always be static parties just because of the way it's set up (weekly lockouts, once you do a turn, or level of coil, you can't go back to it that week). I'm pretty much geared enough to start coil now but it's been hard to find a party because most people are locked up into a static. Granted I didn't try very hard. On thursday this will be fixed for Turn 1-5 cause they are lifting the lockout but it will be the same situation now for Turn 6-9.

Everything else I've had no trouble finding people to run with. This includes relic trains, Ultima HM, CT. Usually I can either get a full party from the FC or enough people that we can fill the other spots quickly in party finder or duty finder.

This is good to know. I have yet to ask for help in the FC because for the most part just entering and waiting for DR to work while doing leve's generates enough experience that I do not need to rely on dungeons alone to chug along. Although one cool thing about being in an FC is actually seeing some form of social interaction outside of the gil sellers mass spamming. I imagine the mumble channel is even more active.

rubius01

I know what you mean. The music makes the dungeon intros exciting. I've resorted to playing my own music (usually FFXI...).

Kind of related: I think in general there isn't enough variety in the music of this game.

I have been saying this forever. They need to put a final fantasy jukebox or something in this. Its like when you are in the black shroud, there's music for 35 seconds and then ambiance for the next 15 minutes. Would love to have the option to have some old final fantasy forest music playing instead of birds chirping, et al.

Sorian

Banned
So, Lost City is supposed to be harder then Pharos Sirius currently is, and I'm assuming that's where they're going to have the Darklight armor drop. (Though I could perhaps see them dropping it at the new HM's and giving new drops for Lost City.)

Assuming however that we are indeed talking about ilvl70 armor however, is there a good chance that Lost City will become the new Pharos? I mean, even if it is it won't be quite as bad, as the roulette will be considerably larger so you'll have fewer chances of ending up there randomly, but still.

EDIT: PS, I really want to run Pharos one last time, before the nerf, but with a competent party whom I can trust to handle the Siren fight. XD

I think your mistake is assuming that it will only drop ilvl70. With the new cap increase, dungeons are probably going to be getting a boost drop lvl as well. Certainly possible unless the patch notes said otherwise.

Jinko

I think your mistake is assuming that it will only drop ilvl70. With the new cap increase, dungeons are probably going to be getting a boost drop lvl as well. Certainly possible unless the patch notes said otherwise.

Hmm not sure, they were on about that the new craftable gear would be the way to go and how there would be an ebb and flow to the economy with each patch.

It really depends how hard the craftable stuff is to make.

I'm expecting, Craftable + Materia > GF > Coil2, which is pretty much what it was like at Launch.

Hmm not sure, they were on about that the new craftable gear would be the way to go and how there would be an ebb and flow to the economy with each patch.

It really depends how hard the craftable stuff is to make.

I'm expecting, Craftable + Materia > GF > Coil2, which is pretty much what it was like at Launch.

Honestly how hard is it to obtain craftable stuff?

WolvenOne

I'm not ruling out higher iLvl drops for Lost City. If they did have higher iLvl drops though, that'd mean Darklight went to Brayflox and Halitali HM.

I think iLvl70 armor, and maybe iLvl80 weapons are somewhat more likely.

Sorian

Banned
I'm not ruling out higher iLvl drops for Lost City. If they did have higher iLvl drops though, that'd mean Darklight went to Brayflox and Halitali HM.

I think iLvl70 armor, and maybe iLvl80 weapons are somewhat more likely.

Why does darklight need to move? Maybe I'm confused as to why that seems like an accepted fact.

WolvenOne

Why does darklight need to move? Maybe I'm confused as to why that seems like an accepted fact.

Pretty darn certain they said that Darklight was becoming a dungeon drop, since Phil Tomes were being done away with. If that's correct, that means the Darklight gear has to go to one of the three new dungeons.

Kinda hoping that they go to Hali and Bray HM myself, and that we get something new for Lost City.

Sorian

Banned
Pretty darn certain they said that Darklight was becoming a dungeon drop, since Phil Tomes were being done away with. If that's correct, that means the Darklight gear has to go to one of the three new dungeons.

Kinda hoping that they go to Hali and Bray HM myself, and that we get something new for Lost City.

Ah, I see where you are coming from, ok. Yeah, my guess is going to be darklight to the new HMs (maybe even sprinkled into the old ones as well since those loot tables can be changed easily) and Lost City will drop either ilvl75 if they want to keep it below CT or just toss ilvl80 in and call it a day.

Ken

Magitek

you could drag it off the screen, or drag it somewhere and set the UI settings to not show empty hot bar slots

izwbpvMSyrMjl.png

WolvenOne

Ah, I see where you are coming from, ok. Yeah, my guess is going to be darklight to the new HMs (maybe even sprinkled into the old ones as well since those loot tables can be changed easily) and Lost City will drop either ilvl75 if they want to keep it below CT or just toss ilvl80 in and call it a day.

I hope that's what they do. I don't think Darklight would be enough to keep people coming back to a dungeon that's more difficult then Pharos. iLvl80 however is typically considered, "acceptable," when people are gearing up their alts, so if Lost City drops i80 it should keep people coming back on a fairly steady basis.

Unless of course, it makes pre-nerf Pharos look like a cakewalk. XD

Sorian

Banned
I hope that's what they do. I don't think Darklight would be enough to keep people coming back to a dungeon that's more difficult then Pharos. iLvl80 however is typically considered, "acceptable," when people are gearing up their alts, so if Lost City drops i80 it should keep people coming back on a fairly steady basis.

Unless of course, it makes pre-nerf Pharos look like a cakewalk. XD

To be fair, I do think pharos is a cake walk :p

WolvenOne

I've only done that instance twice since coming back and agree, I duno what the big deal is, I guess a lot of healers are lazy and don't like dispelling though.

More often for me it's DPS that either don't notice the crawlers, or whom cannot DPS fast enough to keep up with the rate they're added.

Players just standing in the middle during Siren's rush tackle is a problem too. I mean, that's the ONE sure fire place you will be hit by that attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom