• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys like about Warrior more? Isn't much to Gladiator just right. Shield lob, couple flashes, attack, repeat. That's basically what I've been doing. What's different about Maurader/Warrior?

Throwing a tomahawk instead of shield and Overpower spamming your way to success.

iammeiam

After a couple of weeks as a Roegadyn, I wasn't really feeling attached to my character at all and so Fantasia'd over to Lalafell. Worth it for the perceived increase in movement speed alone (I know you don't actually get from A to B faster, but a tiny sprinting Lala gives the impression of hauling ass in the way a giant loping Roe doesn't.)

Hit 37 on Bard and am seriously considering macros. I know there's a slight potential DPS loss from lack of command queuing, but I'm bad enough that won't practically apply and I'd like to stop switching crossbars, forgetting to go back, and accidentally dropping a Swiftsong mid-battle. I'm just that awful.

What do you guys like about Warrior more? Isn't much to Gladiator just Shield lob, couple flashes, attack, repeat. That's basically what I've been doing. What's different about Maurader/Warrior?
You'll get several skill combo rotations to keep debuffs with.

Plus having 10k HP is awesome

Number45

For folks who enjoy tanking, do you find Paladin or Warrior more enjoyable? And I don't mean just end game stuff; I mean the journey to end game. I don't have a ton of time to play FFXIV, and since the PS4 launch, I have my Gladiator at 22, Conjuror at 15 (been thinking Paladin), and Carpenter and Botanist at 17.

Before I really start to dive into Gladiator, I wanted to get some feedback about both Paladin and Warrior. Thanks guys.
Levelled GLD/PLD to 35 and MRD/WAR currently to 46.

What do you guys like about Warrior more? Isn't much to Gladiator just Shield lob, couple flashes, attack, repeat. That's basically what I've been doing. What's different about Maurader/Warrior?
There's just more to do. I understand that PLD is stronger in end game (note: this may not be true, just repeating what I've read and that the defensive cooldowns are preferable on PLD), but I love what I have available at the moment. Once you get Defiance and you start to open up your combos you're never short of something to do - whether it's using your BB combo to maximise enmity or keeping Storms Path and Storms Eye up to minimise incoming and maximising outgoing DPS. Overpower is much more dramatic than flash (and a little harder to use because of positioning) to boot.

I've taken WAR further than GLD so I obviously have a lopsided perspective but it's no contest for me. I'm actually dreading levelling any other combat class. :(

Also, somersaulting into action while throwing a tomahawk at your target never gets old.

lordxar

I take it back, I do like GLD, he gave me provoke! My complaint is GLD sucks at maintaining enmity. Maybe I should phrase it that I suck as a GLD in maintaining enmity. WAR is so much easier keeping the hate flowing. Now to be clear, I was WAR lvl 40's range when I started my GLD so it was rough starting over so to speak. I use whatever old WAR gear I can on him but it looks like I raided a donation box and probably plays that way too but I've only cared enough to get provoke. In general, a WAR has more HP and from what I've found, is pretty fun to play.

PLD might be cool, IDK. Not sure I care to find out. I've started a lancer and pugilist and vastly enjoyed both over GLD. If I work up anything else it will be a caster but as of now I'm having a blast staring monsters in their face and burying an axe in their eye!

Alucrid

Banned
After a couple of weeks as a Roegadyn, I wasn't really feeling attached to my character at all and so Fantasia'd over to Lalafell. Worth it for the perceived increase in movement speed alone (I know you don't actually get from A to B faster, but a tiny sprinting Lala gives the impression of hauling ass in the way a giant loping Roe doesn't.)

Hit 37 on Bard and am seriously considering macros. I know there's a slight potential DPS loss from lack of command queuing, but I'm bad enough that won't practically apply and I'd like to stop switching crossbars, forgetting to go back, and accidentally dropping a Swiftsong mid-battle. I'm just that awful.

It's really not worth it. There's only one macro that you can probably use, the Heavy Shot/Bloodletter/Misery's End one. Even that one I don't use since I still like to control when I use each. That said the Bard rotation is still only ~5 skills, so you shouldn't have to be switching that much. Might be good to try and rearrange your hotbars instead.

PS4 players: what level is everyone at now?

I've got my SCH at 31 thus far.

33 SMN.
iYXvfxByTBCi4.JPG

I really liked going out into the desert the first time to to acquire my Ifrit-egi; I'm amazed every time I encounter a new section in the game.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I really liked going out into the desert the first time to to acquire my Ifrit-egi; I'm amazed every time I encounter a new section in the game.

Yeah, I thought that was rad too. I love how the game slowly opens up and you're able to survive in farther & farther reaches of the land.

I also really enjoy how ACN turned out. I use SMN, Healer Chocobo & Tank Pet to do solo content and it's like controlling a full old school RPG party... and then when I want to run a dungeon I switch to SCH and pop right into a queue with no wait. Brilliant!

BTW, where did you take that screenshot?

iammeiam

I don't approve of this. I don't approve of this at all.

I will say I almost bailed on the whole Lala creation concept when I got to the bust slider. That was a little creepier than strictly necessary.

It's really not worth it. There's only one macro that you can probably use, the Heavy Shot/Bloodletter/Misery's End one. Even that one I don't use since I still like to control when I use each. That said the Bard rotation is still only ~5 skills, so you shouldn't have to be switching that much. Might be good to try and rearrange your hotbars instead.

Thanks--in practice, what's the amount of usage the bard songs actually get in battle? I've debated bumping them to the second bar, but figure as soon as I do that people will expect me to start using them frequently.

Normal rotation isn't too bad, but I tend to run into trouble trying to keep up with the various cool down abilities/buffs, especially in something like easymode Titan where I'm not looking directly at the bars most of the fight. It will hopefully get less confusing once I stop getting new skills and having to rearrange things, but as the fights get harder I was hoping to cut down on my avenues for failure.

Hasney

I will say I almost bailed on the whole Lala creation concept when I got to the bust slider. That was a little creepier than strictly necessary.

Thanks--in practice, what's the amount of usage the bard songs actually get in battle? I've debated bumping them to the second bar, but figure as soon as I do that people will expect me to start using them frequently.

2nd bar is fine. I've got my songs set to R2+L2. Once they're turned on, they're not turned off for a while usually so It's not a bad thing to have them on the slight gymnastic button combos.

Alucrid

Banned

Normal rotation isn't too bad, but I tend to run into trouble trying to keep up with the various cool down abilities/buffs, especially in something like easymode Titan where I'm not looking directly at the bars most of the fight. It will hopefully get less confusing once I stop getting new skills and having to rearrange things, but as the fights get harder I was hoping to cut down on my avenues for failure.

It depends. Swiftsong is only for use out of battle, while Foe's Requiem is good if you have a BLM in your party and can be used whenever you have the mana for it since it doesn't reduce your damage. For the most part Army's Peon and Mana Song can be helpful in between groups or during battle for a select few fights. Unless something goes terrible wrong you probably won't use them during most battles.

IvorB

Finally got time to play it on PS4 last night. Still getting my lancer adjusted to playing on a controller but it seems easy enough. Only real thing that seems out of wack is targeting, usually doesn't like to select the nearest enemy.

Other than that, it looks and runs fantastic. I do have a question though: My Lancer is 23 (Maur 15) and I'm not quite sure where to go to grind out in the 20's. I've taken a few level 17 quests in New Thanalaan I believe. Is there a leveling guide that's up to date?

I also read something about Grand Companies, what level does this happen at?

There is a handy webpage which shows you where you can find content appropriate to your level. I would link to it but I've just started a new job and I don't want to be surfung brazenly yet. It was linked to a few pages ago though...

Grand Companies is part of the main quest.

lordxar

WAR at i61 with my good axe. Working on the relic reborn quest so it drops a tad using the unfinished axe. On PS4 beta 2 I left off with my marauder at 20 and gladiator at 15 but grabbed a PS3 copy the day after the beta ended. Lol I couldn't wait a week. So I've played a helluva lot over the last month and my paid sub is about to kick in. Was kind of concerned the end game stuff would get boring but so far its been fun. Have some other friends who are progressing slowly so I go help them too.

Throwing a tomahawk instead of shield and Overpower spamming your way to success.

Weeeell, I got yelled at at my last dungeon because I was using Overpower like usual without realizing the WHM was sleeping everyone. I didn't know if Flash would wake them as well (and I didn't try it out), but I have to say sleeping enemies made the dungeon A LOT easier. Lately I'd been dying on mobs instead of bosses in the latter dungeons (the lvl 44 one for example) since they hit really hard.

You get 50% bonus XP on Leves, FATEs and battle XP for any battle class that's lower than your most leveled class.

Really? The help in the game said it was dependent on the level of your main class, or is it 50% when your main class is 50? That would make sense I guess.

Alucrid

Banned
Weeeell, I got yelled at at my last dungeon because I was using Overpower like usual without realizing the WHM was sleeping everyone. I didn't know if Flash would wake them as well (and I didn't try it out), but I have to say sleeping enemies made the dungeon A LOT easier. Lately I'd been dying on mobs instead of bosses in the latter dungeons (the lvl 44 one for example) since they hit really hard.

Really? The help in the game said it was dependent on the level of your main class, or is it 50% when your main class is 50? That would make sense I guess.

Flash won't wake enemies.

I started over because of the massive changes from a year ago. I have a THM at level 24, GSM level 18 and miner at level 9. I am really surprised about how much I like mining. I think I can really make some gold when combined with GSM too.

My old name was T'aria Kawaii, now its Aria Xavalien.

Yeah, I thought that was rad too. I love how the game slowly opens up and you're able to survive in farther & farther reaches of the land.

I also really enjoy how ACN turned out. I use SMN, Healer Chocobo & Tank Pet to do solo content and it's like controlling a full old school RPG party... and then when I want to run a dungeon I switch to SCH and pop right into a queue with no wait. Brilliant!

BTW, where did you take that screenshot?

Nice. I've still not figured out how I want to categorize my chocobo. I took the screenshot by logging into http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/

Just hit 50 DRG last night!!! Also got 15 MRD and 12 PGL. Haven't touched any DoH or DoL classes yet. Got one more main quest to do later tonight and I'll be done with the story. No idea what I'm doing after that.

Bm7jS-ACMAAiwQ0.jpg:large

Wilsongt

Augh. I both hate and love getting Brayflox on my DR. Hate because everyone fucking speedruns it now, but love it because I know I won't be there all day.

THe biggest problem though is, as a smn, I can't do large area burst damage like WHM and BLM, and I think that ticks some people off.

Don't get used to Sleep, 97% of the time you'll be in a group not utilizing it.

Sleep comes in handy in CC. Especially last night when our tank was still a GLA and hadn't become a PLD yet. Those sleeps really took some pressure off the SCH.

Why the hell not? It seems like a very good strategy, makes everything easier for everyone and it's faster to boot.
Because the moment you hit 50 is the moment Sleep becomes mostly meaningless sans a few cases if at all.

Augh. I both hate and love getting Brayflox on my DR. Hate because everyone fucking speedruns it now, but love it because I know I won't be there all day.

THe biggest problem though is, as a smn, I can't do large area burst damage like WHM and BLM, and I think that ticks some people off.
People should be glad they didn't get 2 MNKs.

Frazley

This game is great! I love being able to log in and get progression in something. I also love being able to try different classes and jobs.

This game has satisfied the itch that has been missing since WoW and CoH! I truly think they have a great game!

Sunday Night though, I had to get to bed, but had to do 5 more levequests to get that challenge log entry! :p

I am not getting ESO or Destiny now because of this game. I can only afford the price and time of one MMO.

Why the hell not? It seems like a very good strategy, makes everything easier for everyone and it's faster to boot.

Most of the time in endgame dungeons you'll get either an overgeared tank that just wants things to die fast rather than leave one off to the side which takes even more time to kill when it could be aoed down, or you'll get an undergeared tank that has no idea what half his buttons are or even that sleep exists and he will constantly keep breaking them even after telling him multiple times that something is slept.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I'm a 50 Bard and every useful skill fits comfortably on the default crossbar. It's very rare and situational that I ever need to actively switch crossbars to access other skills in combat(bardsongs, AoE skills and such). You really are only rotating just a handful of skills(including DOT skills) normally and the various buffs as they finish cooldowns, all which should be priority access and should only take up about 12/16 slots. Fill up the remainder as you see fit really. Out of combat skills should all be placed on hotbar 2 to avoid your swiftsong problem.

I pretty much only have two hotbars filled, one for combat, the other for utility and rare situational stuff. Macros for Bards are entirely unnecessary.

With BRDs, the DPS you'd lose with macros should be compensated by the DPS you gain by having Bloodletter resets and Misery's End go off as soon as they are avaiable.

IvorB

Good to know. Still it wouldn't have made much difference since we were attacking mobs one at a time. I have to say sleep seems really broken. I don't know if I can go back to the regular way now.

Sleep is a life saver. I was in that dugneon beginning with H and the tank died in the middle of a fight. It was only sleep that kept the rest of us alive and in the game, even continuing to kill the mobs. Normally it's no good though because people will just attack the sleepers. I guess if everyone was really coordinated...

Sleep is a life saver. I was in that dugneon beginning with H and the tank died in the middle of a fight. It was only sleep that kept the rest of us alive and in the game, even continuing to kill the mobs. Normally it's no good though because people will just attack the sleepers. I guess if everyone was really coordinated...
If a mage wants to use sleep, then encourage the tank to mark enemies so that no one, unless they are ignorant, should be attacking sleeping mobs with 3 or 4 above their head.

system11

With BRDs, the DPS you'd lose with macros should be compensated by the DPS you gain by having Bloodletter resets and Misery's End go off as soon as they are avaiable.

This, although I put Heavy Shot first in that macro since if available the others can fire while it recharges. I also macro'd my self buffs to save crossbar space.

If a mage wants to use sleep, then encourage the tank to mark enemies so that no one, unless they are ignorant, should be attacking sleeping mobs with 3 or 4 above their head.

Actually in my case the mage was also marking the enemies. It made more sense than me marking them, since he would put them to sleep before I pulled.

Or a level sync'd 37 WHM :(

I can't agree that it's faster, but speed aside; I'm not saying it isn't useful. Just that you shouldn't count on it seeing it very much.

If it stops the tank from dying even once it's faster IMO.

Lebron

So I'm a level 30 MAR right now. Why don't they sell high quality arm/wpn for my level on the market anymore, it liked stopped after 20? My luck sucks during dungeon runs so I never get the drops I can use :(

IMBored

So I'm a level 30 MAR right now. Why don't they sell high quality arm/wpn for my level on the market anymore, it liked stopped after 20? My luck sucks during dungeon runs so I never get the drops I can use :(

But friendly players sell lv30 stuff on the market board :)
So yeah, you have the option of crafting, GC gear, market board or runing dungeons.

Lebron

But friendly players sell lv30 stuff on the market board :)
So yeah, you have the option of crafting, GC gear, market board or runing dungeons.
That's what I meant, it's just Normal stuff on Market board now. Does everyone just keep the dungeon run stuff lol?

Guess I'll have to just do more runs then if so and hope the odds are in my favor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom