• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griss

33 SMN.
iYXvfxByTBCi4.JPG

I really liked going out into the desert the first time to to acquire my Ifrit-egi; I'm amazed every time I encounter a new section in the game.

I just had the exact same experience yesterday. The environments are absolutely spectacular. It's just a shame that it's night half the time so you don't get to see them in their full glory.

Also, I've just filled up my main PS4 cross-bar with combat abilities. There's nothing I can move to another cross-bar that I don't regularly use. (The leftmost 4 are pet commands, then Virus and other misc abilities, then 4 aetherflow abilities, then my core 4 rotation - Bio2, Miasma, Bio, Ruin.)

Anything non-essential like summons is on my secondary hotbar. I just feel like if I have to be switching bars mid-battle then this game is going to get difficult and 'notfun' in a hurry. Worried!

danthefan

That's what I meant, it's just Normal stuff on Market board now. Does everyone just keep the dungeon run stuff lol?

Guess I'll have to just do more runs then if so and hope the odds are in my favor

Noticed that as well, nothing green/pink/blue etc really on the market board. It's strange.

Sorian

Banned
Noticed that as well, nothing green/pink/blue etc really on the market board. It's strange.

Maybe I'm thinking back wrong but a lot of that green/blue/pink stuff is untradeable to other players, that's why people run dungeons because you have to win it to get it.

IMBored

Much of the latter colored stuff is untradable, the rest at that level converted to materia or exchanged for seals. Probably can try to get some HQ gear at that level, but really dungeons would be the way to go.

I just had the exact same experience yesterday. The environments are absolutely spectacular. It's just a shame that it's night half the time so you don't get to see them in their full glory.

Also, I've just filled up my main PS4 cross-bar with combat abilities. There's nothing I can move to another cross-bar that I don't regularly use. (The leftmost 4 are pet commands, then Virus and other misc abilities, then 4 aetherflow abilities, then my core 4 rotation - Bio2, Miasma, Bio, Ruin.)

Anything non-essential like summons is on my secondary hotbar. I just feel like if I have to be switching bars mid-battle then this game is going to get difficult and 'notfun' in a hurry. Worried!

Use the R2+L2 hotbars. It's much, much faster than straight up switching and you get access to 16 more slots. Anything that doesn't need to be used in every fight can go there. Also I've been dabbling into macros to use less hotbar spaces. For example my panic, I'm about to die macro casts Convalescence, then Thrill of Battle then Second Wind and then Bloodbath. I could be a little overkill I guess, but I'm not sure if I should be constantly using those cool downs separately or not, so for the moment I use them to save myself from certain death (it works!). There's other stuff you can cut with creative macro usage.

Much of the latter colored stuff is untradable, the rest at that level converted to materia or exchanged for seals. Probably can try to get some HQ gear at that level, but really dungeons would be the way to go.

At least until I got my class armor at lvl 45, HQ gear was the way to go. Supplemented by anything I could get off dungeons, but since I've only done each once, it wasn't much. Also Grand Company gear was pretty decent as well. Both much better than the regular stuff you get from story quests and not overly expensive.

Edit: Crap, sorry I meant to edit my last post, not double post.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

Nah, I love the night time environments... the sky box in particular is awesome and starry.

My only complaint in the game is that we can't turn off the Battle Music... so much good music in the game and I mute nearly all of it because I'm sick of the battle theme.

danthefan

It's unsellable on the market board.

Maybe I'm thinking back wrong but a lot of that green/blue/pink stuff is untradeable to other players, that's why people run dungeons because you have to win it to get it.

Ahhh right thanks.

Do you have to do something in particular to trade gear for seals? I can't see the option when I visit the Grand Company.

Oh and n00b tip for the day - wait until you bloody well have loot in your inventory before leaving a dungeon. I would never make such a mistake, no siree.

Kssio_Aug

At least until I got my class armor at lvl 45, HQ gear was the way to go. Supplemented by anything I could get off dungeons, but since I've only done each once, it wasn't much. Also Grand Company gear was pretty decent as well. Both much better than the regular stuff you get from story quests and not overly expensive.

Edit: Crap, sorry I meant to edit my last post, not double post.

Are those GC gear really worth it?
I mean, they seems expensive to me, is kind hard to get a nice ammount of seals imo!

I may give it a try on my lvl 31 Marauder.

Griss

Use the R2+L2 hotbars. It's much, much faster than straight up switching and you get access to 16 more slots. Anything that doesn't need to be used in every fight can go there. Also I've been dabbling into macros to use less hotbar spaces. For example my panic, I'm about to die macro casts Convalescence, then Thrill of Battle then Second Wind and then Bloodbath. I could be a little overkill I guess, but I'm not sure if I should be constantly using those cool downs separately or not, so for the moment I use them to save myself from certain death (it works!). There's other stuff you can cut with creative macro usage.

What are the R2+L2 hotbars? I assume they're what you get if you're holding both triggers at once? How do I get them on screen, which number are they?

And I'm not ready for macros, lol.

Vishnu

I think I messed up.
So I bought FF14 for PS3, upgraded that to PS4 (Standard Edition)
Today I found FF14 CE (PS4) for cheap so I bought it. (New)

But how do I redeem my items?
I should use the registration code right? But it wont ask for it again.
I want to apply it to my current account.
I deleted FF14 from my PS4, installed from the new disk, still not asking.

On Mogstation I can't find anything, except for a digital upgrade which I do not want.

Anyone have any ideas?

Just started off on PS4...only level 8 archer, but probably gonna end up a Gladiator, love the sword play.

Game is pretty intimidating, but loving the classic FF7 music, the references, the graphics...lovely...off to play now...

this is my personal PS4 must-have...

I think I messed up.
So I bought FF14 for PS3, upgraded that to PS4 (Standard Edition)
Today I found FF14 CE (PS4) for cheap so I bought it. (New)

But how do I redeem my items?
I should use the registration code right? But it wont ask for it again.
I want to apply it to my current account.
I deleted FF14 from my PS4, installed from the new disk, still not asking.

On Mogstation I can't find anything, except for a digital upgrade which I do not want.

Anyone have any ideas?
You can't register the game twice on the same platform. Try to return it (they probably won't accept) or sell to someone else.

Your only options are to buy the CE upgrade for $20 in the mogstation, or buy a PC/PS3 CE.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Yeah I'm also having trouble getting seals (36 DRG)

I do the crafting turn ins.. especially the daily starred turn ins.. easiest ones are the gathering ones once you are high enough to get the +10% HQ buff. I can usually get 10 HQ ores/herbs in less than 10 minutes each.

also complete those sections of the challenge log every week for even more seals. I believe one of the biggest and easiest ones is 5 HQ turn ins is something like 1000 seals. So you get 1000 seals on top of the 100% bonus you already get for turning in HQ items.

after that just grinding fates which in my late 30s are giving around 150-200 seals each.

then last but not least GC levequests.

in the last week alone I want to say I've grinded around 20K in seals focusing on those first two and then hitting FATEs when it turned my fancy.

edit - oh above levequests but below FATEs is also duty roulette (or just duties). Any green or pink gear that drops you can usually turn in for around 200-300 seals.

lordxar

Dragonhead fate runs are great for leveling amd getting GC seals. Usually the fates pop pretty quick too but there can be a few minutes of downtime.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
GAF, I'm not having fun. I think I'm playing wrong. This game is my first MMO. Right now, I'm level 21 and my next story quest is Quicksand Proprietress. I'm in the GAF guild but never play with anyone. When can I do that? How can I do that?

Right now, I'm just targeting and spamming a few spells. It's getting repetitive. I want to enjoy an MMO so please help show me the way.

Dunan

I'm trying to upgrade to PS4, but whenever I put the code in the PS Store I get booted back to the PS4 menu before I can download the client. Anyone know what's happening?

EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot you can do that stuff on the PSN website.THE FUTURE!

I had the exact same problem. I solved it by, on the PS4, seeing that the "Confirm" button was displayed for a tiny fraction of a second before getting booted back, so when re-entering the code I just pressed the button as quickly as I possibly could, and voila, FFXIV started downloading.

(Surely there is some knid of glitch happening here.)

jon bones

GAF, I'm not having fun. I think I'm playing wrong. This game is my first MMO. Right now, I'm level 21 and my next story quest is Quicksand Proprietress. I'm in the GAF guild but never play with anyone. When can I do that? How can I do that?

Right now, I'm just targeting and spamming a few spells. It's getting repetitive. I want to enjoy an MMO so please help show me the way.

What class are you? Have you played a dungeon yet?

Sorian

Banned

You unlock group content at the level 15 story quest. Based on the name of the quest you are on, I think you are behind compared to your current level? Anyway, MMOs don't really become tarribly exciting until you start getting closer to end game and the group dungeons become more difficult.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What class are you? Have you played a dungeon yet?

Arcanist. I think I have done a few dungeons during the story. I wait for others to join. That's it, right? It's not so much fun. But I don't talk to them, either.

BLCKATK

You can try doing some Guildhests or maybe asking in the GAF guild if anyone would like to run a dungeon with you? At level 21 you can have 4 dungeons unlocked. Dungeons are good for EXP and can be more fun that questing alone in the world.

Guildhests are short tutorial fights that give you a decent chunk of exp when you do them once, so if you haven't tried that, might be up your alley.

The Main Scenario quests open up a lot of doors when it comes to content that you can experience, so never forget about them. But enjoy the trip to 50, you don't have to rush!

Lebron

Any explanation on why you think that's stupid? Earning gear youself is stupid?
Making me rerun the same dungeons over and over for low-mid level gear that could easily be sold on the MB before I'm at end game when doing such things would actually make sense? There's a reason why most MMOs don't do this, it's stupid. But calm your jets, I'm not looking for a debate. I'll rerun the dungeons

Sorian

Banned
Arcanist. I think I have done a few dungeons during the story. I wait for others to join. That's it, right? It's not so much fun. But I don't talk to them, either.

You can ask in guild if people want to do those with you. Might be more fun if you have GAF in there with you?

Making me rerun the same dungeons over and over for low-mid level gear that could easily be sold on the MB before I'm at end game when doing such things would actually make sense? There's a reason why most MMOs don't do this, it's stupid. But calm your jets, I'm not looking for a debate. I'll rerun the dungeons

We must play different MMOs.

borghe

you are pretty far behind in the story for your level. not criticizing.. I am also (currently 38 on 34 quests). My best recommendation is... stop doing whatever it is your doing and just follow ! to ! to ! to !. If you want to go even faster for the time being, don't stop and do every side quest ! (aka the ones without the flames around them). Just do the flame surrounded !'s.

When the game gets boring for me... personally I find it happens when I spend too much time fucking around (hunting logs, crafting especially, challenge logs, etc). When I rapid fire through the story I find the game to be much more enjoyable right now.. probably because you feel you are making progress toward something instead of just seeing a number (level) rise.

those are my 2¢

umm.. almost every MMO does this. It's a little odd to compare it to WoW.. but to do so. "white" gear in this game is essentially "green" gear in wow. thus stuff you get routinely for running open world stuff. the good stuff you want "blue in wow.. pink and green in here) you get mostly from dungeons (same place you get it in wow). The purple stuff you REALLY want in wow is the blue stuff here.. again mostly from endgame.

now granted you can get plenty of blues and purples on the AH in WoW... but it is rarely "desirable".. maybe for leveling. but when your leveling that blue you bought at 30 will probably be outleveled by a the time you are 34 with a green quest drop.. the same thing here. the reason there is no "leveling gear" in FFXIV on the market board is because that gear (equivalent to greens and crappy blues in wow) is all either in quest rewards or available from merchants.

Bboy AJ

You can try doing some Guildhests or maybe asking in the GAF guild if anyone would like to run a dungeon with you? At level 21 you can have 4 dungeons unlocked. Dungeons are good for EXP and can be more fun that questing alone in the world.

Guildhests are short tutorial fights that give you a decent chunk of exp when you do them once, so if you haven't tried that, might be up your alley.

The Main Scenario quests open up a lot of doors when it comes to content that you can experience, so never forget about them. But enjoy the trip to 50, you don't have to rush!

You can ask in guild if people want to do those with you. Might be more fun if you have GAF in there with you?

We must play different MMOs.

Thanks. I think I understand. I'm a little behind to be "free" but I do have the gist of what the game will be like. borghe, exactly. I will follow your advice. I think that's my downfall. I'm mucking around too much.

I played Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast a ton and while repetitive, my fun was had when talking to people. I'll be more active.

Sorian

Banned
you are pretty far behind in the story for your level. not criticizing.. I am also (currently 38 on 34 quests). My best recommendation is... stop doing whatever it is your doing and just follow ! to ! to ! to !. If you want to go even faster for the time being, don't stop and do every side quest ! (aka the ones without the flames around them). Just do the flame surrounded !'s.

When the game gets boring for me... personally I find it happens when I spend too much time fucking around (hunting logs, crafting especially, challenge logs, etc). When I rapid fire through the story I find the game to be much more enjoyable right now.. probably because you feel you are making progress toward something instead of just seeing a number (level) rise.

those are my 2¢

It's give and take, something to keep in mind is that the story is going to troll you at the end. When you finish the level 45 quest, you can't start the next one until you are level 49, just something to keep in mind.

BLCKATK

Thanks. I think I understand. I'm a little behind to be "free" but I do have the gist of what the game will be like. borghe, exactly. I will follow your advice. I think that's my downfall. I'm mucking around too much.

I played Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast a ton and while repetitive, my fun was had when talking to people. I'll be more active.

I know the feeling. I played a lot of PSO myself and the fun of it came from playing areas with friends and getting loot. That's basically how some of the dungeons feel. From my understanding (I'm not actually in the GAF FC) the GAF FC is huge, it ranks in the Top 5 FCs every week. So there must be plenty of people around your level, just ask around and maybe you can find some buddies to adventure with!

borghe

It's give and take, something to keep in mind is that the story is going to troll you at the end. When you finish the level 45 quest, you can't start the next one until you are level 49, just something to keep in mind.

thank you. definitely will.

I know the feeling. I played a lot of PSO myself and the fun of it came from playing areas with friends and getting loot. That's basically how some of the dungeons feel. From my understanding (I'm not actually in the GAF FC) the GAF FC is huge, it ranks in the Top 5 FCs every week. So there must be plenty of people around your level, just ask around and maybe you can find some buddies to adventure with!

a big thing I'll say to Bboy AJ is also, if you are on PS4 make sure to get a keyboard and just participate in FC chat. While it might not always work to group with fellow GAFers, the biggest thing I love about GAF on Ultros is that it essentially provides a "zone chat" that seems to be almost entirely missing from this game (outside of the occasional /shout)

Lebron

those are my 2¢

umm.. almost every MMO does this. It's a little odd to compare it to WoW.. but to do so. "white" gear in this game is essentially "green" gear in wow. thus stuff you get routinely for running open world stuff. the good stuff you want "blue in wow.. pink and green in here) you get mostly from dungeons (same place you get it in wow). The purple stuff you REALLY want in wow is the blue stuff here.. again mostly from endgame.

now granted you can get plenty of blues and purples on the AH in WoW... but it is rarely "desirable".. maybe for leveling. but when your leveling that blue you bought at 30 will probably be outleveled by a the time you are 34 with a green quest drop.. the same thing here. the reason there is no "leveling gear" in FFXIV on the market board is because that gear (equivalent to greens and crappy blues in wow) is all either in quest rewards or available from merchants.
I get what you're saying. That example makes more sense I guess. I'm was more focusing on flat out denying stuff to be sold on the MB part, not lack of it being available due to rarity of the drop rate or being a low level on a high level server. I haven't run into one that did that for something that wasn't bound to you because it was from a quest or you equipped it before. That's all I was getting at. I ain't trying to start no fight lol

Thanks for the explanation.

danthefan

Another point is if you plan on levelling a second class having some quests left over can be helpful for XP, so don't feel like you have to do every single quest going.

IvorB

So I'm a level 30 MAR right now. Why don't they sell high quality arm/wpn for my level on the market anymore, it liked stopped after 20? My luck sucks during dungeon runs so I never get the drops I can use :(

If you're level 30 you can buy gear if you use the map to find the appropriate area for your level (where level 30 levequests are). Typically there will be a merchant around there who sells items at your level. That's what I have found anyway. It's just generic gear but it does the job.

I think I got level 30 gear at Little Ala Migo in Southern Thanalan.

Lebron

Another point is if you plan on levelling a second class having some quests left over can be helpful for XP, so don't feel like you have to do every single quest going.
Yeah smart call, I've only done the main quest ones for my main. Saved all the other ones for my other classes. That plus the exp boost from being high level helps leveling them up a lot quicker

Bboy AJ

What's your in game name Bboy

Also you're an Arcanist, have you given any thought to whether you'll be going Summoner or Scholar at 30?

Tyrant AJ. Nope, I haven't considered my future progress. I thought I was supposed to be able to change classes at level 15. Ha! Guess that meant if you stick with the story. I cleared almost all quests out.

Kssio_Aug

Not debating either, but every other stuff is sold on the Market Board. Those colored stuff is probably there to encourage you doing quests and drop your own gear. They probably dont want the Market Board being the easy way to get every single stuff you wanna (neither are the players, Diablo 3 auction house kind demonstrated how bad it can be).

What are the R2+L2 hotbars? I assume they're what you get if you're holding both triggers at once? How do I get them on screen, which number are they?

You have to activate them in the hotbar settings and the can be any number you choose (other than 1 and 8 it doesn't really matter I guess) I just block that number I choose from the usual switching rotation (you have to activate that as well, for when you have your weapon out and sheathed).

Well, if you do all the sidequests by the time you get to the level 45 quests you should be pretty much there. I'm halfway through level 47 and just started the level 43 story quests, because I've done every single side quest (except the really low level stuff you get when you visit the other cities).

IvorB

You don't have to do the waiting. It's not cool and it was really killing me. Especially if the game dumps you with one other person and you sit around waiting in the dungeon for others to come. I really don't know why the game does this. I found for me the best way is to sign up for the duty in duty finder and then go about your business doing quests or whatever. Then when you get called up for the dungeon it's good to go and you can just roll. I would also disable "join in progress" as this seldom works out.

WolvenOne

BTW, how would I go about setting my macro's to report messages only after they've been successfully fired off? Lately I've gotten into the habit of pressing buttons for CD's until they actually fired off, but that often results in message/SFX spam mid fight.

jon bones

Tyrant AJ. Nope, I haven't considered my future progress. I thought I was supposed to be able to change classes at level 15. Ha! Guess that meant if you stick with the story. I cleared almost all quests out.

Holy shit, no wonder you're burned out on the game...

Ignore the side stuff and get back to the story. Level 20 quests will unlock your mount and the world will really open up.

Loving this game a bit too much. Just a quick question if anyone knows:

Do square enix plan to have expansions for FF14 like WOW does with cataclysm , burning crusade etc?

yeah and it's supposed to be huge... maybe we'll hear about it at e3?

Loving this game a bit too much. Just a quick question if anyone knows:

Do square enix plan to have expansions for FF14 like WOW does with cataclysm , burning crusade etc?

Sorian

Banned
You have to activate them in the hotbar settings and the can be any number you choose (other than 1 and 8 it doesn't really matter I guess) I just block that number I choose from the usual switching rotation (you have to activate that as well, for when you have your weapon out and sheathed).

Well, if you do all the sidequests by the time you get to the level 45 quests you should be pretty much there. I'm halfway through level 47 and just started the level 43 story quests, because I've done every single side quest (except the really low level stuff you get when you visit the other cities).

The experience grind from 47 to 48 and 48 to 49 and 49 to 50 each get exponentially larger and actually start to take some time. I was in about the same boat as you and I still had to grind out 48 to 49 when it came time to do that quest.

Bboy AJ

Holy shit, no wonder you're burned out on the game...

Ignore the side stuff and get back to the story. Level 20 quests will unlock your mount and the world will really open up.

So that's what everyone has? All these bad ass animals they ride. I saw a black, evil looking chocobo. I think it had a blue glow, too. It looked awesome. I want one.

aceface

Don't know If anyone answered this yet but you have to turn the R2+L2 hotbars on in character settings under hotbars. You can set bar you want to display with R2+L2 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom