• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

Loving this game a bit too much. Just a quick question if anyone knows:

Do square enix plan to have expansions for FF14 like WOW does with cataclysm , burning crusade etc?

Not yet, 2.0 is less than a year old, and it doesn't even count as an expansion since all content in 1.X was dropped.

An expansion is in the works, but it's probably about a year away. In the mean time we're getting content patches, with new bosses, dungeons, and raids, roughly every three months.

BTW, how would I go about setting my macro's to report messages only after they've been successfully fired off? Lately I've gotten into the habit of pressing buttons for CD's until they actually fired off, but that often results in message/SFX spam mid fight.

Add a wait message in between the ability and the message you're trying to send. For example:

/macroicon Virus
/ac Virus <tt> (target of target)
/wait
/p <<<<Virus used>>>>

This way, even if you spam the ability, the message won't actually pop up until you stop hitting it due to the /wait.

Sorian

Banned
So that's what everyone has? All these bad ass animals they ride. I saw a black, evil looking chocobo. I think it had a blue glow, too. It looked awesome. I want one.

You can get barding for your chocobo which basically functions like clothes. Don't know which one you saw, maybe the leviathan or behemoth barding.

creid

Not yet, 2.0 is less than a year old, and it doesn't even count as an expansion since all content in 1.X was dropped.

An expansion is in the works, but it's probably about a year away.
I dunno, they haven't really talked much about stuff past 2.3 and 2.35, have they? I'm expecting announcement of the expansion pack not long after 2.3, probably released this fall.

GAF, I'm not having fun. I think I'm playing wrong. This game is my first MMO. Right now, I'm level 21 and my next story quest is Quicksand Proprietress. I'm in the GAF guild but never play with anyone. When can I do that? How can I do that?

Right now, I'm just targeting and spamming a few spells. It's getting repetitive. I want to enjoy an MMO so please help show me the way.

You have to suffer through so much story related garbage before the game gets any good. I'm almost at the lvl 44 story quest and feel like i'm swimming up a stream of shit in hopes that there is something better at the end.

Honestly questing should never be this bad no matter the genre.

WolvenOne

I dunno, they haven't really talked much about stuff past 2.3 and 2.35, have they? I'm expecting announcement of the expansion pack not long after 2.3, probably released this fall.

Well, originally they were talking about expansions every 18 to 24 months. The first expansion might come out on the shorter end of that timescale, but, even though this statement was made quite awhile ago, I don't see how or why they'd suddenly condense down the timeline for the first expansion.

I mean, the first expansion is supposedly going to have as much content as 2.0 did, which means it'll be a whole games worth of development in it's own right. That sort of development will take some time.

Kssio_Aug

Well, originally they were talking about expansions every 18 to 24 months. The first expansion might come out on the shorter end of that timescale, but, even though this statement was made quite awhile ago, I don't see how or why they'd suddenly condense down the timeline for the first expansion.

I mean, the first expansion is supposedly going to have as much content as 2.0 did, which means it'll be a whole games worth of development in it's own right. That sort of development will take some time.

Maybe it is a stupid question, but patch 3.0 will come together with the expansion or before it?

BTW, how would I go about setting my macro's to report messages only after they've been successfully fired off? Lately I've gotten into the habit of pressing buttons for CD's until they actually fired off, but that often results in message/SFX spam mid fight.

Put a 1 second wait after the ability and before the message. If you press the button like crazy the message won't appear because the macro will be interrupted before the ability fires off. I think it should work.

That trick also works if you want to fire 2 cool down skills simultaneously. I read it somewhere online, but it goes like this:

/ac ability 1 <me>
/ac ability 2 <me> <wait.1>
/ac ability 1 <me>
/ac ability 2 <me>

If you press the macro button once it will fire ability 1, won't fire ability 2, will wait, then won't fire ability 1 'cause it's not ready and then fire ability 2.

If you press it multiple times (like you might in a hectic battle), it won't fail as easily as other macros since if you only had the 2 abilities separated by the wait you might not get to the second ability since you'd keep interrupting the macro. This way the second line would fire because ability 1 would be on cool down. It's a nice little trick and it works pretty well.

Kssio_Aug

Assuming each expansion bumps the first digit of the version number up one, yeah the expansion would be 3.0 I guess.

Makes sense!
Quite excited to see what theyre planing to bring to the game! But also its good for me that this will not be releasing now. Just paid for the game and next month I will be paying some months subscription.

Sorian

Banned

This doesn't mean much, they have no reason to discuss 2.4 when it is so far out.

Maybe it is a stupid question, but patch 3.0 will come together with the expansion or before it?

Usually expansions are are the 3.0, 4.0, 5.0 etc.

danthefan

OMGOMGOMG

I just read (on GameFAQs to be fair) that you'll be allowed in the duty finder queue with your chocobo in your party in 2.3. Please be true.

OMGOMGOMG

I just read (on GameFAQs to be fair) that you'll be allowed in the duty finder queue with your chocobo in your party in 2.3. Please be true.

"Maybe", this is something that has been promised eventually since before 2.1 came out. What's another 3-6 months when it's already been almost 9?

dramatis

GAF, I'm not having fun. I think I'm playing wrong. This game is my first MMO. Right now, I'm level 21 and my next story quest is Quicksand Proprietress. I'm in the GAF guild but never play with anyone. When can I do that? How can I do that?

Right now, I'm just targeting and spamming a few spells. It's getting repetitive. I want to enjoy an MMO so please help show me the way.
You can ask in FC chat for people to run with you.

Kssio_Aug

Ive never played on a party before (except in Duties). When it happens, if someone use Duty Finder, both of the same party will be automatically put together in this same Duty?

Hystzen

So finally joined a grand company so question about seals.

Best way earn them? All I see are crafting stuff and I not touched that ever more into whack things til they dead adventurer

Need 2,000 for my mount

dark_chris

So that's what everyone has? All these bad ass animals they ride. I saw a black, evil looking chocobo. I think it had a blue glow, too. It looked awesome. I want one.

I think you're talking about the Chocobo which has the Odin barding.
To get that, you need to be lvl 50 and get Gold on Odin (or have gotten one Odin mantle, in which case you need to beat Odin again).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tyrant AJ. Nope, I haven't considered my future progress. I thought I was supposed to be able to change classes at level 15. Ha! Guess that meant if you stick with the story. I cleared almost all quests out.

You can change classes. You just have to do your Arcanist level 10 quest and then do the starter quests for the other class guilds you want to join.

Summoner and Scholar are Jobs. They're advanced versions of Arcanist that you will be able to get after completing the Arcanist quest line at level 30 (and having the appropriate second class to level 15).

I would say try to advance the story as much as you can. You should be right around your first primal fight at that level, which should be the first actual interesting challenge. If something starts feeling too grindy or not very fun, try doing something else. There's lots to do, even when you're not all that close to end game. If you want to get a feel for playing with others, ask around the FC for people to do a dungeon with, or even to just chill and do FATEs or something with. Lots of end game people need to do FATEs in low level regions these days for their relic weapons anyway.

Sorian

Banned

Best way earn them? All I see are crafting stuff and I not touched that ever more into whack things til they dead adventurer

Need 2,000 for my mount

GC hunting log and FATEs will now drop them.

Kssio_Aug

Need 2,000 for my mount

I did it with FATEs and Duty Roulette's. I think you can trade some drops by seals too.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Need 2,000 for my mount

FATEs and Grand Company Guildleves.

Sorian

Banned
Ah sweet I left my hunting and not touched FATEs for a while.

Tomorrow is going be dedicated to that and getting level up bit more.

Cheers

To be specific, you now have a new hunting log. Your class hunting log will NOT drop seals but there is a new hunting log for your particular grand company, those give seals as rewards.

Sorian

Banned
Oh, ok! I wasnt really sure! Thats good to know though, Ill try some promotion soon then!

The thing I am talking about, by the way, is you can trade them green, purple, and blue gear for seals. That comes after some amount of promotions, don't remember at which it unlocks.

There is also an option to turn in crafting and gathering mats for seals but that's only useful if you are a crafter or gatherer, kind of a waste if you are buying it from another player for turn-in.

Jayhawk

I was sitting on 750 soldiery tomes before this reset. I can get a i100 body/leg armor today after work, and next week (750 + 900 = two 825 pieces) I can get another body/leg armor. Woohoo! After that, I guess I will start saving for weapon tokens.

lordxar

For people who haven't beat the game yet, find a friend to play with. I've been rolling with a partner much of the time and it helps greatly. Especially when your both on the same quests. Don't get hung up on low level gear, ie south of 50. Story quests give you gear as do side quests. I bought a lot of stuff throughout my ascent only to turn around and have a chance to pick it off a quest. Also, vary up your routine. Hit up fates, do some quests, do a dungeon, grind a little but don't stick to one thing for too long or you'll get bored. Most of all enjoy the ride. I only had to really grind a couple levels towards the end. Dragonhead fates give you seals and good XP around lvl 40 or a bit earlier if your adventurous. Also, work up alternate jobs here and there. Cross abilities rock.

Griss

Don't know If anyone answered this yet but you have to turn the R2+L2 hotbars on in character settings under hotbars. You can set bar you want to display with R2+L2 as well.

Thanks a lot, that did the trick. Finally have those extra slots at my fingertips that I so desperately needed!

The thing I am talking about, by the way, is you can trade them green, purple, and blue gear for seals. That comes after some amount of promotions, don't remember at which it unlocks.

There is also an option to turn in crafting and gathering mats for seals but that's only useful if you are a crafter or gatherer, kind of a waste if you are buying it from another player for turn-in.

As usual it depends on the price. Sometimes you can find HQ stuff for less then the costs of the materials so sometimes buying really pays off (especially if you can't reliably make the HQ version of the item yet).

The same applies to leves. There's a chicken stock one for culinarian where you need to turn in 9 and gives over 30k experience. Unfortunately I couldn't find HQ versions on the market, but I bought 99 for like 10 gil each. Best money to exp I've spent yet only at the cost of 1 allowance.

Soi-Fong

I just healed through all of Praetorium's boss fights on my own. Our party was down to 6 people including me. And I'm a fresh 50!! Suffice to say, those 5 commendations felt good! Add to that no one died in any of the boss fights. Must admit though. Shroud of Saints helped out so much.

Sorian

Banned
As usual it depends on the price. Sometimes you can find HQ stuff for less then the costs of the materials so sometimes buying really pays off (especially if you can't reliably make the HQ version of the item yet).

The same applies to leves. There's a chicken stock one for culinarian where you need to turn in 9 and gives over 30k experience. Unfortunately I couldn't find HQ versions on the market, but I bought 99 for like 10 gil each. Best money to exp I've spent yet only at the cost of 1 allowance.

Fair point but I'm talking to folks who just joined a GC for the first time and are leveling their first character. They should be holding on to gil for now.

Chesskid1

Banned
so i just subbed for the ps4 version, my first paying month

things are slow this month, so gonna play a ton, im in ultros but not gonna join GAF till i'm more experienced.

first experience interacting with others is some guy bowed to me, so i bowed back and he friend requested me and we chatted and he welcomed to the game

2nd one was talking to an NPC then a guy tried to trade with me and gave me a bunch of stuff for my class

not a bad start, hopefully everyone else is as nice as these people.

ps4 version is so gorgeous, i love the art and music. never really got sucked into an MMO but i think this might. i don't think i payed a monthly fee for a game before.

Sorian

Banned
so i just subbed for the ps4 version, my first paying month

things are slow this month, so gonna play a ton, im in ultros but not gonna join GAF till i'm more experienced.

first experience interacting with others is some guy bowed to me, so i bowed back and he friend requested me and we chatted and he welcomed to the game

2nd one was talking to an NPC then a guy tried to trade with me and gave me a bunch of archer stuff.

not a bad start, hopefully everyone else is as nice as these people.

ps4 version is so gorgeous, i love the art and music

Join the GAF guild, we have a lot of people currently working through the beginning level stuff and another beginner player would be a welcome edition.

Fair point but I'm talking to folks who just joined a GC for the first time and are leveling their first character. They should be holding on to gil for now.

Again, not necessarily. They could be leveling the crafting classes in parallel, like I was. I think it's both useful to gain gil using the market board and to provide a nice change of pace from the story missions. I wish I had used more of my leves allowances while I was leveling up for example. Now that I'm more seriously leveling up my crafting classes I'm running out.

Kssio_Aug

Alright, I submitted an app. Now to find one of you jokers walking around in Lominsa.

Ill enter the game in 2 minutes. If you dont find anyone, add me there: Kssio Aug.
But you will probably find someone before I even go online... I find gaffers everywhere, even in the most uncharted places!! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom