• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xux

Been playin' on the PS3 the past couple days 'cause my gaming PC died; feel like a doof fumbling with the controller controls, lol. Least it looks better than on my PC, lol, and my headset has crazy bass when I teleport.

chrono01

Hit i100 today~
Congrats!

Hopefully next week will be my time for a new weapon. All of those 1300 Tomes of Soldiery... :(

Oh, and a piece of caster-loot would be nice, since we haven't seen a single drop from when Second Coil started. Although, the true terror/horror is repeated loot that no one can use. As long as it doesn't come to that, I will be pleased.

Aeana

Congrats!

Hopefully next week will be my time for a new weapon. All of those 1300 Tomes of Soldiery... :(

Oh, and a piece of caster-loot would be nice, since we haven't seen a single drop from when Second Coil started. Although, the true terror/horror is repeated loot that no one can use. As long as it doesn't come to that, I will be pleased.

We got our first pieces that went to alts today. Better than something nobody can use at all, but one of them probably won't see any use any time soon if ever. Feels bad.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Congrats!

I feel bad for snagging all the loot. :(

Congrats!

Got our first one of those last week in the form of some drg gloves, this week it was healing bracers/monk boots. Out of all the other gear that could have dropped, we get repeats and not just any repeats, repeats that people with alt classes that they play somewhat don't even want lol.

We would kill for some actual bard or caster main set pieces for once, everyone else has gotten 2-3 pieces so far whether they were main set or accs. Gotten caster helm(when caster was the favorite son in 1-5) and a bard ring which I guess kinda helps when it comes to eventually being able to use the weathered bow(I want to look different too).

Reishiki

Banned
I blew my drop luck for the next century yesterday.

Hit 50 DRG a couple of days ago and got around to doing the hard Primals last night for my Gae Bolg.

Started the evening with the GC ilvl 55 spear.

Did Ifrit and got Ifrit's Harpoon
Did Garuda and got Garuda's Beak
Did Titan and got The Spear of Crags

Already had the Oil and had queued next to Gerolt, so handed it all straight in and got a Gae Bolg back. Three fights, four spears.

I'm doomed to get Conjurer drops for the rest of my character's life.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I blew my drop luck for the next century yesterday.

Hit 50 DRG a couple of days ago and got around to doing the hard Primals last night for my Gae Bolg.

Started the evening with the GC ilvl 55 spear.

Did Ifrit and got Ifrit's Harpoon
Did Garuda and got Garuda's Beak
Did Titan and got The Spear of Crags

Already had the Oil and had queued next to Gerolt, so handed it all straight in and got a Gae Bolg back. Three fights, four spears.

I'm doomed to get Conjurer drops for the rest of my character's life.

That's just how RNG works sometimes.

Sorry for being such a low level, but i just joined up with the scions or whatever and im guessing im fixing to go do ifrit for the first time? the quest guys keep mentioning that i have to deal with a primal

chrono01

We got our first pieces that went to alts today. Better than something nobody can use at all, but one of them probably won't see any use any time soon if ever. Feels bad.
Yeah, wasted loot is the worst. As much as I want to gear myself up, if the group (as a whole) can get an upgrade, that's all I like to see.

I feel bad for snagging all the loot. :(
Never! You work hard for that loot. You should never feel bad about such a thing!

Got our first one of those last week in the form of some drg gloves, this week it was healing bracers/monk boots. Out of all the other gear that could have dropped, we get repeats and not just any repeats, repeats that people with alt classes that they play somewhat don't even want lol.

We would kill for some actual bard or caster main set pieces for once, everyone else has gotten 2-3 pieces so far whether they were main set or accs. Gotten caster helm(when caster was the favorite son in 1-5) and a bard ring which I guess kinda helps when it comes to eventually being able to use the weathered bow(I want to look different too).
Yeah, repeated loot is depressing to see. Repeated loot for classes not currently in the group is even more dis-heartening. :(

I hope your luck improves soon! The RNG can be a vicious foe.

Vishnu

Can someone give me some pointer on playing Scholar?

I just turned lvl 40.

Main focus is always keeping everyone healty, DoT second.
Always play with Eos.
Start off with "Protect", then "Eye for an Eye"on the tank, when we get in a fight use "Succor"and "Cure" and use pet ability "Fey something" (the one that regens) , and let the pet embrace on it's own.

If I get time in between I DoT, AetherFlow, spam every single DoT I have.

Most of the time I have a feeling everything is alright, I just want some pointers, seeing how Im going in the last 10 lvls, and still dont have the feeling that I know my class.

BKJest

You have 4 single target heals: Physick, Adloquium, Embrace (fairy) and Lustrate (Level 50). Don't use Cure. It has the same potency and mana cost as Physick but a Scholar using Cure is just weird. :D

Use those to keep the tank alive.

Adloquium gives you a shield to the same effect of the heal. If you get a crtitcal heal the shields effect ist doubled giving you a 300% shield. So on fights that require a lot of healing try to have an Adloquium on the tank most of the time and heal up in between those with Physicks. Adloquium is also great to have on the tank before he pulls enemies as it reduces healing on the pull and gives the tank time to establish emnity. Lustrate is an instant 25% heal using a stack of Aetherflow. Like an "Oh shit" button. The great thing about Lustrate is, it's a flat heal based on the target's HP ignoring any kind of healing debuff.

For party healing you have 2 tools. Succor and Sacred Soil (Level 45). Sacred Soil uses a stack of Aetherflow and creates a shield around an area. Succor heals everyone in range for a little bit and additionaly shields everyone for the damage healed.

Whenever your party isn't taking a lot of damage - you got a crit Adloquium on the tank or damage is low enough for your fairy to take care of the party or you are in an 8 man party and the White Mage can take care of the healing for a while - apply your dots. But make sure to do it in Cleric Stance. It switches your MND and INT and also gives you an additional boost on INT. Your attacks are a LOT more effective that way. Don't forget to switch out of Cleric Stance once you go back to healing.

I've been using the word shield a lot. So your job as a scholar has a lot to do with damage mitigation. Know when big attacks are coming and have the appropriate mitigation up.

As far as your fairy goes. Eos is a big help on healing. She has a strong AOE heal and also a cooldown that increases healing potency. Make sure to use Obey on Eos and trigger those 2 cooldowns yourself. Once you get comfortable with a fight switch over to Selene instead. She has cooldowns to increase spell speed and skill speed (which she alternates fine on her own so you don't have to use obey) that in the end increase the DPS of your party.

yeah, I've been leveling a warrior lately and a lot of these new dps just plain ignore the numbers.

Also we had a newbie archer that waited for LB2 and used it on last boss in Brayflox normal.. and everybody was already full hp. Whole group was speechless. haha.

Also had a Cnj ignore my plea for Protect...don't think he understood me!

Oh well, tank woes. I appreciate the career tanks who have been putting up with this from the start a lot more now.

Vishnu

You have 4 single target heals: Physick, Adloquium, Embrace (fairy) and Lustrate (Level 50). Don't use Cure. It has the same potency and mana cost as Physick but a Scholar using Cure is just weird. :D

Holy shit, thank you man, just what I was looking for.
Ill switch to Physick, I use macros to heal, based on the slots of my party, (2,3,4)
I mostly skip Adloquium cause it's one of the bigger MP drains right now, use Succor instead, but Ill put that one also in rotation.

Biggest thing I got out of your post is that the main job isn't healing, but more damage mitigation.
Now I've gotta try and shift focus on that =)

BKJest

Holy shit, thank you man, just what I was looking for.
Ill switch to Physick, I use macros to heal, based on the slots of my party, (2,3,4)
I mostly skip Adloquium cause it's one of the bigger MP drains right now, use Succor instead, but Ill put that one also in rotation.

Biggest thing I got out of your post is that the main job isn't healing, but more damage mitigation.
Now I've gotta try and shift focus on that =)
You're absolutely right about Adloquium being your biggest MP drain. So don't overuse it. But it's also your most useful tool for harder fights. You still have 10 levels to go doing 4 man dungeons (and after that do 4 man dungeons for tomestones). But once you do 8 man content Adloquium will be invaluable. So get used to the sweet joy of your Adloquium critting. ^^

Succor is mostly for healing and shielding a party. But for a single target Adloquium is a lot more effective. Adloq has a potency of 300, Succor of 150. And only Adloq gets the crit bonus.

So let's say your Adloquium heals for 800HP that gives the target an additional shield for 800HP. If it's a critical heal the shield will be 2400HP! That's enormous. For Succor you get a 400HP shield which increases to 600HP for a crit. Effective if it hits a lot of targets. Useless on a single target.

In 4 man content you are the only healer so filling up the bars is equally important as reducing damage. But in a 8 man party your mitigation skills will be invaluable so start getting used to them.

Schuhu

Neo Member
I joined a 7/8 fc garuda ex as a war yesterday and stayed with them for hours of trying (I don't really need garuda ex, maxbe for another prinal weapon but I wanted to help them out) but in the end we failed because their second tank wasn't taunting the spiny. Kinda sad to see the whole company held back by an imcompetent tank who can't learn

IMBored

Man, if your tanks aren't braindead, Garuda EX is a fresh spring breeze.

It's the last easy fight in the game.

To be fair, they have some tricky things that have to be done, like juggling spiny and keeping out of aoe, many don't even do that. Frankly it seems to be easiest for healers, just sit there and heal mt.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
To be fair, they have some tricky things that have to be done, like juggling spiny and keeping out of aoe, many don't even do that. Frankly it seems to be easiest for healers, just sit there and heal mt.

You forgot "Don't walk into big green thingies that glow slowly"!

system11

Man, if your tanks aren't braindead, Garuda EX is a fresh spring breeze.

It's the last easy fight in the game.

Not when you have several new people it isn't. Things were getting better, we ran out of time. Some kind of huge cyclone attack (not the static ones on the floor) was becoming an issue, hit me for approximately max HP with no warning that I could see. I was targeting the second of the sisters at the time and bam out of the blue - is that something cast by Garuda, can it be silenced if I have her set as my focus target (Blunt Arrow is macro'd for that)?

aceface

I joined a 7/8 fc garuda ex as a war yesterday and stayed with them for hours of trying (I don't really need garuda ex, maxbe for another prinal weapon but I wanted to help them out) but in the end we failed because their second tank wasn't taunting the spiny. Kinda sad to see the whole company held back by an imcompetent tank who can't learn

When we were doing Garuda ex the other night the OT would taunt and get aggro on the spiny but after one stack sometimes it would ping pong back to the person who had it originally for some reason. It was annoying as hell.

I've gotten back into this game these last couple days, and I'm having a really great time (playing on PS4). I'm currently a level 36 Paladin, and I've never tanked in a game before. It's pretty scary but hasn't been too hard so far, hopefully I don't regret my choice later.

I applied for the FC last night too, yay!

IMBored

Not when you have several new people it isn't. Things were getting better, we ran out of time. Some kind of huge cyclone attack (not the static ones on the floor) was becoming an issue, hit me for approximately max HP with no warning that I could see. I was targeting the second of the sisters at the time and bam out of the blue - is that something cast by Garuda, can it be silenced if I have her set as my focus target (Blunt Arrow is macro'd for that)?

That's the tanks fault. Super cyclone is an unavoidable attack that spiny does when it was aggro on one person too long. The tanks must watch for the stacks and juggle the spinny between them.

BKJest

The trickiest thing for the healer (no need to bring 2 to this fight) is to push as much damage while keeping everyone alive. Only the sister phase is remotely tricky. The other parts can be solo healed by the fairy - as long as you don't have to heal the whole party after every AOE and Esuna/Leeches a couple of those feather burns every time.

The attack is called Whicked Wheel, has no cast bar and can't be stunned/silenced. It's done by Garuda and Suprana simultaniously (only while the sisters are alive). Healers, melee DPS and the tank just need to know when it's coming.

Edit: Oh you mean the spiny explosion. Yeah, that's the tank's job to prevent that from happening.

Alucrid

Banned

DRG boots, not monk ones. Still at 0 for monk body pieces

Fought story Titan for the first time and it was hilarious. This game is so much better when your party has a sense of humor. It turns the chat box into chaos.

Any FATEs in Mor Dhona that is similar to the Behemoth FATE in Coerthas? Taking part in the Behemoth one earlier today was pretty neat, and since I'll be in Mor Dhona for the time being, I'm hoping for a similar experience

IMBored

Any FATEs in Mor Dhona that is similar to the Behemoth FATE in Coerthas? Taking part in the Behemoth one earlier today was pretty neat, and since I'll be in Mor Dhona for the time being, I'm hoping for a similar experience

The only other similar fate is Odin afaik, and that's in the shroud.

Tash

If a group member gets 3 stack of spiny debuffs it will basically wipe the party with super cyclone (approx 3500 to 4000 damage). That's the reason the tanks need to swap at 2 stacks.

dcye

After being without a group for a few weeks and contemplating quitting the game, I found a small group of guys who were starting their own FC and were willing to take me on. After about 6-7 hours of learning to play together we cleared T6, pretty happy with how its going so far. Got the High Allagan Belt (damn you not BIS!) which is nice as well.

Bring on the kiting and petrification!

orion434

What is the highest ilv "Hunting" Retainer? I heard that they can't be equipped with Myth / Sold Gear? Also what is the min ilv for the XIII Expedition?

Basically I want to know the MAX amount of Apkallu Eggs they can collect?

Ken

After being without a group for a few weeks and contemplating quitting the game, I found a small group of guys who were starting their own FC and were willing to take me on. After about 6-7 hours of learning to play together we cleared T6, pretty happy with how its going so far. Got the High Allagan Belt (damn you not BIS!) which is nice as well.

Bring on the kiting and petrification!

think of all the money you could have saved by not resubbing

Hystzen

Sorry for being such a low level, but i just joined up with the scions or whatever and im guessing im fixing to go do ifrit for the first time? the quest guys keep mentioning that i have to deal with a primal

Long you dont get a first experience like i had yesterday with Ifrit be all cool.

Tank party member was running around the whole arena with Ifrit chasing him and me chasing ifrit.

all was missing was this music for whole fight.

goddamn was such a pain took ages to finish

Alucrid

Banned
That $15 could have bought me a meal once that month oh noesssss.
NwqsK.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom