• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Submitted an app in game (after applying and having my app accepted on the site). I looked a few hours later and noticed the info tab for the FC shows recruiting is temporarily closed. Is the FC full for now?

We keep hitting the member cap. I made a small amount of room last night and will do another round or removals later tonight. Keep checking.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
beat Titan in the story... sadly healing in this game, while par for the course for healing.. is largely the same every fight so far.

for WHM, are people generally bubble/renew on tank to keep their health bar steady or just spamming Cure I and Cure II? For Titan is seemed to work to keep bubble/renew up (or stoneskin or whatever it's called) and then just top everyone off with the AOE heal (lol I am the worst WHM ever for not knowing these names)

Number45

Is there a resource anywhere for armour sets for the various classes/jobs? Nearing 50 and want to make sure I don't trash anything that I might regret in terms of looks.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
New rule if you are off for 15 minutes or more you get removed.

7TjUepq.jpg

See ya scrub

Soi-Fong

Whoop finally got to 50 on my WHM :D

Time to get back into the hard primals routine

What's the ideal once you get to 50? Farm Philosophy tombstones and get some dark light gear then do hard primates or what? I'm still confused on even how to get the relic weapons.

IvorB

Long you dont get a first experience like i had yesterday with Ifrit be all cool.

Tank party member was running around the whole arena with Ifrit chasing him and me chasing ifrit.

all was missing was this music for whole fight.

goddamn was such a pain took ages to finish

My first Ifrit fight was by the numbers. I even recorded it via share button. We were indeed an effective team.

SkyOdin

What's the ideal once you get to 50? Farm Philosophy tombstones and get some dark light gear then do hard primates or what? I'm still confused on even how to get the relic weapons.

Unfortunately, philosophy tomes were removed from the game in patch 2.2. Now the only way to get Darklight gear is to farm it from the newest 4-man dungeons.

Probably your best bet as a new level 50 is to just run a bunch of dungeons. Dungeons such as Amdapor Keep and Wanderer's Palace are doable with just AF armor and a level 55 weapon, particularly if you get teammates who are better geared. Those dungeons drop level 55 armor, which is a slight step up. The first set of Hard Mode Dungeons (Haukke and Copperbell, as well as Pharos Sirius) drop level 60 armor, while the second set of Hard Mode dungeons (Halatali and Brayflox) drop level 70 armor. If you have the gil, you can also buy level 70 crafted armor (Darksteel, Vanya Silk, Gryphonskin). Talking to a crafter and buying the materials they need using GC seals might make that cheaper.

However, the big thing is probably the Labyrinth of the Ancients. You can get ilvl 80 gear there, and it can practically be done with AF armor. It is a lot easier to collect that gear now too, since they removed the one drop per week limit.

While running all of these dungeons, you can get myth tomes, which you can trade in for ilvl 90 AF +1 gear. At this point in FF XIV, after patch 2.2, it is unlikely you will be able to collect a full set of gear in a reasonable time frame prior to myth gear, so you will probably be using a patchwork of different gear sets for a while. Just focus on collecting what upgrades you can.

Anyways, you can start your Relic Quest as soon as you beat the game. It will guide you through the post-game to a certain degree. It has a lot of steps, though. I believe it starts in Revenant's Toll. Just follow the quest one step at a time. Eventually, it will involve fighting the hard-mode Primals in order. There is not too much point to beating them until you get that far in the quest, unless you want to try and get a Primal weapon.

You don't need ilvl70 gear to beat all of the Primals though. I was able to beat HM Ifrit the same day I first cleared Praetorium. Garuda is somewhat harder, but not too bad. Traditionally, you needed at least full Darklight (average ilvl 70 gear) to stand a chance at surviving HM Titan, but the 2.2 echo buff loosens that up a bit, but you will need good gear for doing anything past HM Titan.

Probably the best place to get a good weapon prior to your Relic is from continuing the story and fighting God King Moggle Mog XII. You can get ilvl 75 weapons from that fight.

got in a party finder group and went about doing turn 4 for about 2 hours, no caster legs dropped, got all the other caster items, some twice over but no dam legs, sighhhhhh the darklight legs live to fight another day

When we were doing Garuda ex the other night the OT would taunt and get aggro on the spiny but after one stack sometimes it would ping pong back to the person who had it originally for some reason. It was annoying as hell.

You have to hit the spiny a few times after you Provoke it or it will eventually get pulled by someone, usually a healer. Tell the OT to put a RoH or BB combo on it to lock it down after Provoking it.

Wilsongt

Man, it sucks to have to wait upwards of 20 minutes to get into the expert roulette, only to have your healer drop out immediately followed by the tank.

Man, it sucks to have to wait upwards of 20 minutes to get into the expert roulette, only to have your healer drop out immediately followed by the tank.

It's a sign you should roll a healer or tank.

Then you can be the one who queues in, be like nope, and quit before someone is even done with the cutscene!

borghe

It's a sign you should roll a healer or tank.
word. I love playing healer. Have in every MMO except EQ (chanter there). That queue times are constantly low in this new age of dungeon finders is a wonderful perk. I've thought about grabbing GLD/PLD as well just for something else fun, but don't know if I can stand 100% of my game time being minor abuse (healer) and major abuse (tank). Not sure if I have the mental fortitude for that.

edit - didn't see your stealth edit hahahahaha.. though I never have (YET)

sgtmofo

Neo Member
How exactly do I go about leveling my retainer? I found out about ventures a bit late (around lvl30) and I've probably sent him on close to 10 ventures with no increase in level.

borghe

How exactly do I go about leveling my retainer? I found out about ventures a bit late (around lvl30) and I've probably sent him on close to 10 ventures with no increase in level.

ventures. make sure you are sending him out on as high level ventures as you can. if he's not geared enough give him some gear. if he is doing to low of ventures for his level, well.. it's the same as you grinding on mobs too low for your level. It will take forever.

The exploration ventures give really great experience gains.. unfortunately not as efficient as the hourly ventures, but with much less maintenance.

Astra

That happened to me, the tank dropped out right at the beginning. Made even worse that the Summoner was someone who didn't know how to play. He was playing so poorly I thought he was a bot. Turns out it was someone playing on their friends account to learn the game. All he would do is constantly bio the enemy.

So we got a tank finally, and he noticed the Summoner's poor play, and asked what was up. That's when we found out he was new, so we offered some advice on playing as a Summoner, and apparently that made us dicks.

So after they were defensive for awhile, they finally got the owner of the account on to play, and he wasn't much better at all.

Cleared the Darkhold with 10 minutes left.

Number45

Are you at limit in the GAF FC? I have a character in there that I haven't been playing (and most likely won't), but may not have been offline long enough to be kicked.

Let me know and I'll log in later and /gquit (I have no idea what the FF14 equivalent is).

Turns out it was someone playing on their friends account to learn the game.
I hate this. Want to learn the game? Start from the beginning you knobend!

It has to be a class that you personally have leveled for it to gain anything. If it's not something you have been leveling then your retainer will always be either lvl 1 or 7 levels under the cap for whichever class you chose for it that you only gained a few levels on.

Aeana

Are you at limit in the GAF FC? I have a character in there that I haven't been playing (and most likely won't), but may not have been offline long enough to be kicked.

Let me know and I'll log in later and /gquit (I have no idea what the FF14 equivalent is).

Well if you have no intention of playing the game anymore, then you should leave it anyway.

borghe

It has to be a class that you personally have leveled for it to gain anything. If it's not something you have been leveling then your retainer will always be either lvl 1 or 7 levels under the cap for whichever class you chose for it that you only gained a few levels on.

can you even select a class you don't have? I thought those options were greyed out? Or are they greyed out but you can still equip a weapon to them?

Number45

Well if you have no intention of playing the game anymore, then you should leave it anyway.
I'm still playing, but I started over on a new server when the PS4 launched (playing on Ultros on PC/PS3 and PS4 beta). I don't want to say I'll never come back to Ultros (because things happen), but if I'm keeping someone out then I'm more than happy to leave. :)

can you even select a class you don't have? I thought those options were greyed out? Or are they greyed out but you can still equip a weapon to them?
Yup, they're greyed out for me.

EDIT:

If you have the class unlocked then you can select it for retainers, it's just if that class is only lvl 1 then until you start leveling it for yourself, a retainer of the same class will gain no xp until you get to lvl 8+ with it.
Oh, that makes sense. I haven't even bothered to unlock the classes I'm not actively intending to play.

If you have the class unlocked then you can select it for retainers, it's just if that class is only lvl 1 then until you start leveling it for yourself, a retainer of the same class will gain no xp until you get to lvl 8+ with it. So if your lvl 30 class is the only one that is past lvl 8, it is the only one you can select for retainers that will even gain any xp.

Griss

Wow, I've been so lucky with pick-up groups before.

Just did the Sunken Temple and it was a disaster. Our tank could not take three hits. At first I wasn't sure whose fault it was.

I wanted to go into a room to complete the map, the tank: 'Fuck that theirs nothin in their'. Then running ahead, getting killed by trash. Couldn't understand the concept of doom.

Eventually I examine the guy and he's wearing all lvl 22 items at lvl 37. I was pissed. Say that it might not be possible, and get 'Lol are you a knob, fuckin heal right' (I'm dps, but had been forced to off-heal)

So we beat the second boss (tank killed three times during the battle), and green pants for a tank drop. Thank jesus. Of course, the tank passes on the item. When asked why, 'lol i dont fukken need dat shit'.

Lord help me.

borghe

Just did the Sunken Temple and it was a disaster. Our tank could not take three hits. At first I wasn't sure whose fault it was.

just had this problem on a DR the other day. Don't remember the dungeon but the tank was forcing me to constantly spam cure's to the point that I was slowly falling behind and spamming cure II's. I remember it was low enough that I didn't have stoneskin or renew available. I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on until I saw everyone was level synced but him.

assuming his gear was beyond awful and/or he wasn't using any sort of mitigation. second most stressful healing experience I've had so far, along with really only story bray the first time.... soo.. much... poison...

WolvenOne

Wow, I've been so lucky with pick-up groups before.

I wanted to go into a room to complete the map, the tank: 'Fuck that theirs nothin in their'. Then running ahead, getting killed by trash. Couldn't understand the concept of doom.

Eventually I examine the guy and he's wearing all lvl 22 items at lvl 37. I was pissed. Say that it might not be possible, and get 'Lol are you a knob, fuckin heal right' (I'm dps, but had been forced to off-heal)

So we beat the second boss (tank killed three times during the battle), and green pants for a tank drop. Thank jesus. Of course, the tank passes on the item. When asked why, 'lol i dont fukken need dat shit'.

Lord help me.

*Face palm.*

I feel like I should apologize, on behalf of all tanks everywhere! D:

Edit: Also, wouldn't surprise me if it was some barely literate twelve year old playing. Gear progression isn't exactly difficult to understand.

Griss

just had this problem on a DR the other day. Don't remember the dungeon but the tank was forcing me to constantly spam cure's to the point that I was slowly falling behind and spamming cure II's. I remember it was low enough that I didn't have stoneskin or renew available. I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on until I saw everyone was level synced but him.

assuming his gear was beyond awful and/or he wasn't using any sort of mitigation. second most stressful healing experience I've had so far, along with really only story bray the first time.... soo.. much... poison...

It sucks because you don't want to have to be the one to tell the group 'this isn't working and isn't going to' and then quit. You want to give it a chance, but you're really just wasting everyone's time.

gryvan

We keep hitting the member cap. I made a small amount of room last night and will do another round or removals later tonight. Keep checking.

Maple you can kick my alt Banana Split
Theres several people in FC with alts which I'm sure they don't mind leaving to free up space.

Astra

Exactly. Hopping into a level 44 dungeon, with randoms from the df no less, isn't the best way to show someone how to play the game. I thought the game did a fine job of teaching me how to play from the beginning. Things were actually pretty dull up to 30.

Tabris

There's a huge issue right now with PS4 players either not having keyboards or not having their chat log set up to see /party chat. It feels like you're just playing with RMT bots but it's actually PS4 players that either can't respond or can't see the chat.

This game shouldn't let you play without a keyboard in my opinion.

There's a huge issue right now with PS4 players either not having keyboards or not having their chat log set up to see /party chat. It feels like you're just playing with RMT bots but it's actually PS4 players that either can't respond or can't see the chat.

I sort of agree. I think it should be easier to filter out stuff like FC chat and leave only party chat than going into the super unintuitive character settings. The chat log is so small (PS4 player here) that just a few lines from FC chat will make you miss the stuff your party is telling you. Therefore I always filter it out. Of course I almost never remember to turn it back on, making the fact I'm in the FC a little moot.

IvorB

I can communicate with a pad (it's just slow). Probably they don't know how to message party members.

IvorB

I sort of agree. I think it should be easier to filter out stuff like FC chat and leave only party chat than going into the super unintuitive character settings. The chat log is so small (PS4 player here) that just a few lines from FC chat will make you miss the stuff your party is telling you. Therefore I always filter it out. Of course I almost never remember to turn it back on, making the fact I'm in the FC a little moot.

Yeah I tried to filter out FC chat when I am in battle but it didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom