• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chesskid1

Banned
i remember on quake iii for the dreamcast, mouse/keyboard players could play with the people using controllers

fun times

yeah i hooked up my keyboard from my desktop to the ps4 for ff14. i may buy a dedicated one if i see myself subbing more then my initial month.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
What is up with low leve dungeon parties lately?

Everyone just Dings and Flings

Last few days, it's the same thing, get their level, bam, "DC" or just leave
Most of the time it's the healers too

Did Stone Vigil as BRD for my Low Level DFDR, get to 2nd boss, finish it, WHM DC's exactly after getting their level
Fucking the whole party over, we had to abandon after waiting 5 minutes to refresh our ranks

Seriously it was like 4 more pulls and last boss...

yaffi

I can communicate with a pad (it's just slow). Probably they don't know how to message party members.

But there even is a chat tutorial in the game now. A chat tutorial. That teaches you how to use the chat. How to open the chat. How to type things. Seriously.

Hasney

But there's even a chat tutorial in the game now. A chat tutorial. That teaches you how to use the chat. How to open the chat. How to type things. Seriously.

Now you're thinking people didn't disable those help prompts after the first one because they were ever so slightly annoyed by them.

To be fair, we'll be seeing less of these types of things soon when the free trials end. Those that want to stick around will probably adapt and possibly even invest in a keyboard.

Kssio_Aug

I sort of agree. I think it should be easier to filter out stuff like FC chat and leave only party chat than going into the super unintuitive character settings. The chat log is so small (PS4 player here) that just a few lines from FC chat will make you miss the stuff your party is telling you. Therefore I always filter it out. Of course I almost never remember to turn it back on, making the fact I'm in the FC a little moot.

You can reduce the font size at the game options (if Im not mistaken at: start > charcater configuration). Im playing on PS4 also, I did this and also widen the chat box a bit plugging my PC mouse just for some configuration. I can read everything at the chat box perfectly now.

I think that PS4 players without a keyboard can configure it if they take a little of their time to it. there are some quick shortcuts for responses that can be easily accessed with the DS4, that can help into dungeons (at least to let people know youre reading what theyre talking about, when needed). But, for easy conversation, its really necessary to plug a keyboard... I always do it (just unplug form my PC and plug it on PS4, besides for me this is easy since theyre both side by side).

Actually the game standard configuration sucks a lot. Playing at 1080p on PS4, when I just started, the icons and texts both on the chat and at the HUD were HUGE and ocuppying too much of the screen. I just did some configuration reducing everything from the HUD, reducing the font size and configuring some cross hot bars and now everything is great... I saw one of my 1st screenshots on the game and I couldnt believe how much better it is right now.

So, for every PS4 player... please, take some time to configure everything, from controls to the HUD and chat box, it will be worthy the time.

Aeana

When a scholar is outDPSing everyone else in the group by at least 20 DPS, I don't even know what to say. I consider myself a pretty patient individual, but that Pharos I just went through completely broke me.

When a scholar is outDPSing everyone else in the group by at least 20 DPS, I don't even know what to say. I consider myself a pretty patient individual, but that Pharos I just went through completely broke me.

I stopped doing Duty Roulette awhile back, haven't missed it for a second

suzu

Yeah I tried to filter out FC chat when I am in battle but it didn't work.

You can make an extra chat window/tab and filter it so there's only party chat or whatever. I forget how exactly.. I think there's a (+) or something like that near the main chat window?

Edit: Just switch to the new tab for parties and switch back to general chat when you're done. Or just drag the party window/tab out and put it in it's own spot.

Hasney

You can make an extra chat window and filter it so there's only party chat or whatever. I forget how exactly.. I think there's a (+) or something like that near the main chat window?

I just changed the filters so General is default, battle is party only and event is FC only. I wasn't using the battle and event windows for their purpose anyway.

Ken

You can make an extra chat window and filter it so there's only party chat or whatever. I forget how exactly.. I think there's a (+) or something like that near the main chat window?

you cap at 4 chat tabs but you can click the gear next to it for settings and in log filter, choose what channels you want to show up in each tab.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
It's kinda crazy to me you can just play any class after a certain level on one character. That's Cool!

I am really getting into this game, loving the music and the art style. I think I am going to try to cut a trailer for this game with the Sharefactory stuff!

Tabris

you cap at 4 chat tabs but you can click the gear next to it for settings and in log filter, choose what channels you want to show up in each tab.

I think that may be a PC only feature. I didn't see it available on PS3. I'll try on PS4 soon.

*I meant the additional chat window, not the tabs.

Wilsongt

I had a rough time in Pharos last night. The first boss wiped us twice, mainly because the new people in there didn't realize they need to get out of the ground AoE to avoid stacks. We finally got it down because I kept staying on dog duty. Second boss was fine and Siren went fine.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Getting that keyboard someone posted a few pages back was a brilliant idea. It's great for this game & PS4, best $25 spent ever:

B005DKZTMG_K400_FOB_US_lg.jpg

GAF has a lot of tanks. Need more SCH's and SMN's.

SCH incoming.

yaffi

I had a rough time in Pharos last night. The first boss wiped us twice, mainly because the new people in there didn't realize they need to get out of the ground AoE to avoid stacks. We finally got it down because I kept staying on dog duty. Second boss was fine and Siren went fine.

I also think a lot of people don't realize that the faster you dps the boss the faster dogs spawn. And well, you can't just ignore those.

Agreed, that's what I did and it really helps out with communication

I don't know. It's very annoying to type while playing with a controller. I have to either put it down, try to type with one hand in a hectic battle or just type when there's down time. It's also not very comfortable on a couch or in bed. I tried the PS4 app and typing with my ipad would be much better, except that you need to click on the chat log and bring up the virtual keyboard anyway, unlike a USB keyboard where you just type.

Voice chat would be a tremendous improvement IMO.

So we talked about this before, but I thought addons weren't a thing yet? How are you tracking that? The third party stuff that square "doesn't like?" Isn't that essentially an addon?

Griss

There's a huge issue right now with PS4 players either not having keyboards or not having their chat log set up to see /party chat. It feels like you're just playing with RMT bots but it's actually PS4 players that either can't respond or can't see the chat.

This game shouldn't let you play without a keyboard in my opinion.

I played entirely without a keyboard until the first dungeon. After that I realised that I should either get one or give up. It's not in the spirit of an MMO not to communicate.

Just got promoted to Chief Sergeant of the Maelstrom which means it's time to venture into the Aurum Vale....and collect 10k seals if I wish to get promoted ASAP to get the Rank 3 hunting log

dramatis

If you're not a monk or a bard and you are a dps that could coil static around 8-10-ish EST on Ultros, there's a group needs you! We recently beat turn 5, still a bit scrubby, looking to try turn 6.

Pester Shamdeo (Grimm Grandiron) here or ingame or post in the Mighty Ducks static thread on guildworks.

Eterniti

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on Final Fantasy XIV on PS3 then using the free upgrade to get it on my PS4. But do I have to fully patch, install, and create an account on FFXIV on my PS3 before I can do the upgrade?

plake

My iLv 90 PLD and my up and coming lv 31 WHM makes me a Good Samaritan to the FC!

But seriously. More tanks. It's so fun to play them, I don't get why people don't play them.

Teknoman

I've been listening to Before Meteor and it's amazing how a lot of the tracks sound like tracks in previous Uematsu composed FF titles. I really miss some of the original tracks in 1.0.

Nope LOL, everything changed after 2.1

Unspoken really needs to return. I know we only have looping dungeon themes for later areas so far...but that was one of the best overworld area themes.

Also there is that one thing that sounds like Cyan's kingdom from FFVI.

Video card is completely dead. :(

It died last night and never came back. I tested the card in another PC and used a working card in my own PC to confirm it. I'm picking out parts now for a new PC build since this is as good an excuse as any to get started.

Might hop on PS4 in the interim...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom