• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redx508

Video card is completely dead. :(

It died last night and never came back. I tested the card in another PC and used a working card in my own PC to confirm it. I'm picking out parts now for a new PC build since this is as good an excuse as any to get started.

Might hop on PS4 in the interim...

that sucks. link the parts when you done picking them i want to see

I have discovered the horror that is tin can armor but thank goodness for vanity. Dungeons are still a bit rough, I keep getting into groups where either the archer or someone else is intent on running ahead of me and aggroing everything. Usually I just let them tank it and take care of everything else but it's still rather annoying to deal with.

I have to remind myself to ask if anyone is new so I can explain things if need be. Been tanking at least every dungeon available to me...well except Tam Tara. Looking forward to Brayflox!

Do I still get aggro on mobs if I use Flash while they're sleeping?

Grinchy

Banned
I'm breezing through the game lately (lvl 41 PLD). The only time I ever do a dungeon without my brother as the healer is when I do the daily roulettes. Random people can be so terrible sometimes lol. We get some pretty bad DPS players when we group up from time to time but it always goes smoothly.

Having the tank/healer roles filled at all times has been so awesome.

Grinchy

Banned
I have discovered the horror that is tin can armor but thank goodness for vanity. Dungeons are still a bit rough, I keep getting into groups where either the archer or someone else is intent on running ahead of me and aggroing everything. Usually I just let them tank it and take care of everything else but it's still rather annoying to deal with.

I hate this so much. And it seems to always be archers. What is it about archers that makes them so bad at the game?

edit- oops double posted

Yopis

I'm breezing through the game lately (lvl 41 PLD). The only time I ever do a dungeon without my brother as the healer is when I do the daily roulettes. Random people can be so terrible sometimes lol. We get some pretty bad DPS players when we group up from time to time but it always goes smoothly.

Having the tank/healer roles filled at all times has been so awesome.

Been having some pretty good pub groups this week. Been lvl my second class along with a friend that tanks in the FC. Tank queue is awesome.

I hate this so much. And it seems to always be archers. What is it about archers that makes them so bad at the game?

edit- oops double posted

They build up all of these bad habits like kiting mobs and...

I blame LOTR, everyone sees Legolas and now people want to pew pew like crazy

EDIT: I find GLD tanking as a whole to be very very bland. Anyone else feel this way?

WolvenOne

Sleeping enemies has its uses. It's particularly useful if your group is under geared for a dungeon, as it reduces the number of mobs that must be dealt with at a given moment.

During the end game, it's not terribly useful for most players, and indeed it only becomes a speed running tool. You just don't need very high DPS in most endgame dungeons to be fine.

Unless you're speed running that is.

WolvenOne

EDIT: I find GLD tanking as a whole to be very very bland. Anyone else feel this way?

Yes, PLD is almost entirely about Cool down management, so it just isn't very fun. War has a larger number of rotations, special abilities that can only be used under circumstances, and higher burst DPS.

Seriously, I know some PLD dispute that last one, but it's a losing argument at this point. I can pull 1k+ crits out of my WAR on a semi regular basis, I can come anywhere close with my similarly geared PLD.

The only area where PLDs have a true distinctive advantage, is in the defensive cool down department. They have both more defensive CDs, and the most useful Cd, Hallowed Ground.

War has Holmgang, but it just isn't as good.

Ascenion

Okay so I see tons of GAF in New Gridania, but of course the free company is bursting to the limit. It's completely understandable though.

Alucrid

Banned
They build up all of these bad habits like kiting mobs and...

I blame LOTR, everyone sees Legolas and now people want to pew pew like crazy

It was forced upon be in WoW. So blame WoW. Like we can blame WoW for the MMO trinity.

Tabris

Yes, PLD is almost entirely about Cool down management, so it just isn't very fun. War has a larger number of rotations, special abilities that can only be used under circumstances, and higher burst DPS.

Seriously, I know some PLD dispute that last one, but it's a losing argument at this point. I can pull 1k+ crits out of my WAR on a semi regular basis, I can come anywhere close with my similarly geared PLD.

The only area where PLDs have a true distinctive advantage, is in the defensive cool down department. They have both more defensive CDs, and the most useful Cd, Hallowed Ground.

War has Holmgang, but it just isn't as good.

WAR has 3 rotations, but doesn't need to manage cool downs or multiple mobs in the same way. It's more to handle managing hate on multiple mobs as PLD, as I need to do my Rage of Halone rotation between multiple mobs (like fast blade > savage blade one, switch to another > rage of halons > fast blade > switch to another > savage blade > etc) with flashing and spirits within (unless needed for silence) / circle of thorn in between each action or rotation instead of just overpower 8 times over.

Also need to manage stuns on a lot of various fights like Levi EX or silences on various fights like ADS. Not sure what special abilities you are talking about that is so vastly different? Using the infuriated moves? Also not sure how burst DPS (where's the burst? berserk?) makes it more fun.

Both can be difficult or easy depending on the fight. Both have strengths and weaknesses. Both together make an excellent combo.

I'll forever be PLD main (I find WAR boring) and Tia will forever be WAR main (he finds PLD boring) and I think we'll fight over this forever in our static, haha. Good thing is he won't need to compete for High Allagan Axe and I won't need to compete for High Allagan Sword when we get to T9 status :)

Kssio_Aug

One thing I just tested and, besides not as perfect as a keyboard, is definitely better than tapping with the controller on PS4, is using the Playstation App on your smartphone.

Just sync it with your PS4 then go to 2nd screen and touch the keyboard icon on the top. In game press the touchbar to reach the chatbox, then press triangle and will open the digital keyboard: the app will recognise it and you can tap from your smartphone.

As I said its not as good as using a keyboard (that you just press enter to wright and send the message) but it makes a lot easier to communicate for those who are not using anything but the DS4.

WolvenOne

Burst damage for wars mainly come from the Buff CDs they have access too. Namely, Beserk and Inner Release.

Fire off both and I'll briefly do damage about roughly equal to an unbuffered Dragoon with a similar ilvl. So it's akin to briefly having another DPS on the field.

You are right that the two classes work really well together now.

Artorias

Banned
I just did a run (Coil turn 1) and was not permitted to "need" on two items that seem to fit my stats. Is it because I already had iLvl 90 gear in those slots?

I'm a Dragoon and the gear was Allagan Ring of Striking, and Allagan Braceets of Striking. Am I wrong on those being pretty fit for me?

A monk got one so that's good, but the ring went to greed. I just found that really odd.

Ken

I just did a run (Coil turn 1) and was not permitted to "need" on two items that seem to fit my stats. Is it because I already had iLvl 90 gear in those slots?

I'm a Dragoon and the gear was Allagan Ring of Striking, and Allagan Braceets of Striking. Am I wrong on those being pretty fit for me?

A monk got one so that's good, but the ring went to greed. I just found that really odd.

unless you agreed to before they dropped, you're permitted to roll need on whatever you can need.

PUG groups are generally every man and woman for themselves unless things were specified in the PF.

Even then...people will get greedy and take anything not nailed down. Run it with your FC for safety!

Artorias

Banned
unless you agreed to before they dropped, you're permitted to roll need on whatever you can need.

No, the loot system would not allow me to roll need on either item. I'm just trying to figure out why, since they seem to be great for me.

Alucrid

Banned
No, the loot system would not allow me to roll need on either item. I'm just trying to figure out why, since they seem to be great for me.

Are you a Monk or Dragoon? They have similar stats, but use different gear, so you can't need of them.

Edit: Saw the OP. Yes, in Coil there are two melee DPS accessory types that drop, Maiming and Striking. Maiming is for Dragoons, Striking for Monks. You both can use them but square is stupid in the way Coil 1's loot system is set up.

Ken

Striking is for MNK. Maiming is for DRG. Both DRG and MNK can equip them (so you can have a DRG with a Ring of Striking and a Ring of Maiming), but Maiming is by rights yours while Striking isn't.

They consolidated both types of accessories into a single type called Slaying for content from 2.1 and onwards.

Artorias

Banned
Thanks guys, I was really confused about that but it makes sense. I guess I should be more careful about what I'm farming for though.

I just started doing Coil turn 1, 2, and 4 last night via duty finder. They are pretty fun, and damn easy with that buff lol. It feels cheap but I don't know anyone who plays really.

BadRNG

Who would dispute WAR has higher burst? Only dispute I've seen, and would agree with, is the overall damage between the two isn't a very big gap. WAR does something like 10-15% more damage over the course of most fights, which usually ends up being something like 10-15 actual dps considering how low tank damage is. Both classes are a joke compared to a real dps, and no, having Berserk/IR up is not like having a similarly geared DRG out for a brief time. (unless that DRG is awful, at least)

I would love for them to redesign PLD's rotation, give Riot Blade a real use outside of speed runs and extremely specific situations. Give it a third combo to alternate with RoH. Right now my fun with PLD comes from how sometimes you feel like an impenetrable fortress. After the 2.1 changes overall tanking is similar, but PLD still shines in raw mitigation and they have the best tools for when things go wrong. This is probably why you still see a lot of PLD MT for new/progression fights. WAR excel when they know the script, and actually surpass PLD in many ways, but fights don't always play perfectly and PLD's toolkit is invaluable when things go wrong.

That's probably main reason I've put up with how boring the rest of the class is. I honestly wouldn't recommend either WAR or PLD for a fun class (mechanic/rotation wise) though, they are both extremely plain and straightforward - PLD just more so. Most of the fun of tanking comes from the stuff I mentioned above, and the thrill that comes from being at the forefront and taking the big ugly head on instead of poking him in the back or singing or praying to cthulu or whatever BLMs do.

Ken

i had more fun with lancers (tera) and vanguards (swtor) than the tanks in this game. :(

i guess it's kind of an unfair comparison given the different types of battle systems but still, at least give me a "get over here" pull!

atmusfear

T6 Down, feelsgoodman.

6WHhhsr.jpg

Getting that keyboard someone posted a few pages back was a brilliant idea. It's great for this game & PS4, best $25 spent ever:

B005DKZTMG_K400_FOB_US_lg.jpg

SCH incoming.

I saw this post, and bought it, like right away. It even LOOKS like its perfect for the PS4. One question, about the track pad on the side, can that be used in the internet web browser on the PS4 and final fantasy 14???

Tabris

I didn't manage to record our first turn 8 win last week, but here's our second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvkKTzJgilY

Just curious, why not have Ragnar switch to a DPS class? I'm curious for whether our WAR (or me as PLD) should switch to a DPS job or whether there's a reason to have a 2nd tank, as it didn't seem that way during video as Yenn tanked dreadnoughts and avatar.

<<Terra>>

If you're on Ultros, you should see plenty.

Yeah I can't remember seeing that. I see plenty of SF, CL, GAF, Awake, and LUMI. I'll watch out for it.

Hasney

I saw this post, and bought it, like right away. It even LOOKS like its perfect for the PS4. One question, about the track pad on the side, can that be used in the internet web browser on the PS4 and final fantasy 14???

Yes to FF, no to Web browser. Sony thought they didn't need mouse support in it, unless that changed on the latest firmware.

Alucrid

Banned
Just curious, why not have Ragnar switch to a DPS class? I'm curious for whether our WAR (or me as PLD) should switch to a DPS job or whether there's a reason to have a 2nd tank, as it didn't seem that way during video as Yenn tanked dreadnoughts and avatar.

Yeah I can't remember seeing that. I see plenty of SF, CL, GAF, Awake, and LUMI. I'll watch out for it.

Uh...about that...he doesn't have any. We still beat enrage by a minute though, so it's not too much of an issue.

Edit: It does help that he can take all the mines though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom