• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

Yeah I can't remember seeing that. I see plenty of SF, CL, GAF, Awake, and LUMI. I'll watch out for it.

I can't remember seeing it too much either, but then again I know how my mind works as I've seen an increasing number of PRICK recently.

D:

But its true.. I have those dps jobs geared to look cool in the cities and FC house.. not to dps..

Also Rag eats the mines so it helps to have his high hp and defensive cooldowns for them.

Tivly needs to crack that whip then! What good is leveling all those jobs if you barely use them?

IvorB

But there even is a chat tutorial in the game now. A chat tutorial. That teaches you how to use the chat. How to open the chat. How to type things. Seriously.

Now you're thinking people didn't disable those help prompts after the first one because they were ever so slightly annoyed by them.

To be fair, we'll be seeing less of these types of things soon when the free trials end. Those that want to stick around will probably adapt and possibly even invest in a keyboard.

Those active prompts have an annoying habit of showing up at exactly the wrong time. First guildhest battle? Let me add a huge icon to the middle of your screen and five pages of text for you to read just before you engage. First dungeon? Same story. First primal fight? Once again.

It's a quest in the Quicksand in Ul'dah and probably in the other cities too.

edit: http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Lend_Me_Your_Ears_Already

I don't remeber that quest exactly but I'm sure some people feel a bit unsure about communicating not knowing who it will go to etc. I'm sure there are many people playing this who have never played an MMO before (like myself).

Mechakira

Neo Member
Just curious, why not have Ragnar switch to a DPS class? I'm curious for whether our WAR (or me as PLD) should switch to a DPS job or whether there's a reason to have a 2nd tank, as it didn't seem that way during video as Yenn tanked dreadnoughts and avatar.

It's because SE designed a terrible fight and I refuse to switch classes for them.

IvorB

You can make an extra chat window/tab and filter it so there's only party chat or whatever. I forget how exactly.. I think there's a (+) or something like that near the main chat window?

Edit: Just switch to the new tab for parties and switch back to general chat when you're done. Or just drag the party window/tab out and put it in it's own spot.

Oh I think I see what I did wrong there. The filters I changed were not for when I am in battle but rather for the actual battle chat window. I'll play around with it when I log on again. Thanks for the advice!

Just finished Aurum Vale. Other than having to take on both the first sealed room boss and dungeon boss twice, it wasn't much of a problem. I did have to enter the dungeon a second time because the tank that was in my group the first time around had to go before we even entered the first sealed room. Seriously dude, you sure picked one hell of a time to enter that dungeon *rolls eyes*

PARANO1A

OK so I need some help understanding if I'm a dick or the people I was grouped with were jerks.

I'm running through the story missions at low 30's. I entered a dungeon (Brayfox from memory? I'm not great with names). I'm a summoner, and it took ages to get a party together after the first tank left, followed by the healer. It was just me and a black mage before a healer and tank eventually a joined.

While waiting (I wasn't chatting since I'm on PS4) they were talking about how they were both hunting for gear, wanting to do an 'optional ring sidequest' and hated how people rolled greed on everything they didn't need.

Anyway - first boss (Drake) and the loot comes up and it's a set of boots that has way better stats than my current ones - like +12 and +6, as well as higher int amongst other stats. I roll 'need' and won it. Both players went nuts, saying "you fucking asshole", "you didn't need that", "that wasn't for you!" etc. followed by emotes of 'disappointed', 'angry' etc. This went on for the whole dungeon, right up until after the last boss. Chat was snippy with stuff like "thanks xxx, it's a shame there's always one asshole".

At this point I'm sitting there stewing and finally jump into chat with the controller and the exchange was something like "WTF are you talking about? I needed that gear since it boosted my stats." The response was "the stats weren't for you. Just because it says all classes doesn't mean it's yours". Granted the reply was much more passive aggressive (right into aggressive aggressive).

So I'm confused - is there something I should know? I assumed if I could roll need - and there was a genuine need - it's not rude to roll, right? Is there an etiquette thing with other classes that mages should get better gear than summoners by default? Is there a stat I should automatically not roll on - e.g. if there's both mind and int I should by default pass on?

Outside of my own naivety - I was so annoyed at this group. I generally hate multiplayer gaming because of shit like this... I may have legitimately fucked up and been happy to give the gear over, but fuck them for not explaining or talking to me like a person. This is the kind of behaviour that makes people think MMO's are for OCD neckbeards :/

Ken

were they arguing over pink gear? that would be pretty embarassing.

anyways it's just people upset the loot system didn't roll in their favor; don't think too hard about it.

yaffi

I don't remeber that quest exactly but I'm sure some people feel a bit unsure about communicating not knowing who it will go to etc. I'm sure there are many people playing this who have never played an MMO before (like myself).

I think they added it in the recent patch.

I just did it because quest-wise I'm a completionist; it felt awkward though.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
That was a df party, right? If so, you were absolutely in your right to roll. That‘s how game works. They shoulda just dealt with it, especially if they didn't ask you beforehand and even then you could just refuse. Always that asshole indeed.

King_Moc

Banned
If you're in a DF party, no one has dibs on anything. It's idiotic to expect strangers to give stuff up for you, and why should they? That's why the dice roll is there.

IvorB

OK so I need some help understanding if I'm a dick or the people I was grouped with were jerks.

I'm running through the story missions at low 30's. I entered a dungeon (Brayfox from memory? I'm not great with names). I'm a summoner, and it took ages to get a party together after the first tank left, followed by the healer. It was just me and a black mage before a healer and tank eventually a joined.

While waiting (I wasn't chatting since I'm on PS4) they were talking about how they were both hunting for gear, wanting to do an 'optional ring sidequest' and hated how people rolled greed on everything they didn't need.

Anyway - first boss (Drake) and the loot comes up and it's a set of boots that has way better stats than my current ones - like +12 and +6, as well as higher int amongst other stats. I roll 'need' and won it. Both players went nuts, saying "you fucking asshole", "you didn't need that", "that wasn't for you!" etc. followed by emotes of 'disappointed', 'angry' etc. This went on for the whole dungeon, right up until after the last boss. Chat was snippy with stuff like "thanks xxx, it's a shame there's always one asshole".

At this point I'm sitting there stewing and finally jump into chat with the controller and the exchange was something like "WTF are you talking about? I needed that gear since it boosted my stats." The response was "the stats weren't for you. Just because it says all classes doesn't mean it's yours". Granted the reply was much more passive aggressive (right into aggressive aggressive).

So I'm confused - is there something I should know? I assumed if I could roll need - and there was a genuine need - it's not rude to roll, right? Is there an etiquette thing with other classes that mages should get better gear than summoners by default? Is there a stat I should automatically not roll on - e.g. if there's both mind and int I should by default pass on?

Outside of my own naivety - I was so annoyed at this group. I generally hate multiplayer gaming because of shit like this... I may have legitimately fucked up and been happy to give the gear over, but fuck them for not explaining or talking to me like a person. This is the kind of behaviour that makes people think MMO's are for OCD neckbeards :/

They sound like grade A jerks. God, hearing these horror stories makes me feel very fortunate that I have only grouped with solid teammates in this game so far.

Hasney

If you're in a DF party, no one has dibs on anything. It's idiotic to expect strangers to give stuff up for you, and why should they? That's why the dice roll is there.

Exactly. Do you know what I need? Seals. So I am going to roll on everything I can.

Griss

You just came across some assholes, bro. It happens, but luckily it's rare in FF14. Don't dwell too hard on it.

My system:
If it's an improvement on my current gear, I'm allowed to roll need, and the stats are clearly for my class: Need.
If it's something I could use on an alt right now: Greed
If it's something I could maybe use on an alt in the future or something I'll probably never use: Pass

If people freak let them freak. The system is what it is for a reason.

Went through Brayflox's Longstop today in the story, and it seemed like a pretty big difficulty spike. I'm a Paladin and my friend is a Scholar, and we both thought it was very tough. Luckily, we ran it with a dragoon who was very happy to explain everything to us.

SkylineRKR

Went through Brayflox's Longstop today in the story, and it seemed like a pretty big difficulty spike. I'm a Paladin and my friend is a Scholar, and we both thought it was very tough. Luckily, we ran it with a dragoon who was very happy to explain everything to us.

I found it to be relatively easy, but I had done Qarn already. But BL is probably the first dungeon where you'll likely be surrounded by mobs. It does take some positioning.

IvorB

You just came across some assholes, bro. It happens, but luckily it's rare in FF14. Don't dwell too hard on it.

My system:
If it's an improvement on my current gear, I'm allowed to roll need, and the stats are clearly for my class: Need.
If it's something I could use on an alt right now: Greed
If it's something I could maybe use on an alt in the future or something I'll probably never use: Pass

If people freak let them freak. The system is what it is for a reason.

When I first started running the dungeons I rolled on absolutely everything just in case, you know. But all this stuff started piling up so I stopped and now I pass on the greed rolls but it's hard. I'm such a loot whore.

Bray is hard on SCH's because someone thought it would be a great idea for them to learn Esuna/Leeches at level 40.

IMBored

Finally finished all the main story and hildy quests, now I can focus on getting my lanv«cer to 34 while doing coil and extreme primals. Maybe I'll even have time to hang out on the FC house waiting for the DF to pop.
Tried to do T2 yesterday, but failed the enrage method. No WHM, two PLD and not enough dps makes me think PF is the way this should be tried. Is a ilv79 BRD with zenith enough for T2?

Kssio_Aug

What Im doing with the dungeon drops are:
-If need option is avaiable, and I will use it or is it tradeable, I get it.
-If I dont need it, but I could sell, I greed.
-If I cant sell, and dont need for my actual class, I pass it up.

At my last run last night I did a dungeon where dropped Legs, Helmet, Axe and Gloves, all of them that would benefits me (that am playing as a WAR). I pressed "need" on all of those, and equiped them right away. It was an incredibly good loot run for me, but I believe my party wasnt happy... I tanked very well, usually I get at least one recommendation, this time I got none, and a guy, before getting out said the party "decked me out" whatever it really means. Lol

Other then those gears, just more 1 or 2 drops wernt needed for me, so I passed them. But I got all of the rest, becauae they really bennefited me.

dramatis

T6 Down, feelsgoodman.

6WHhhsr.jpg
I technically saw that guy yesterday.

5iGZBO4.jpg

bunbun777

Well the Atma process hasn't been too painful, 3 so far, each one took apx 60 mins to get. I have heard horror stories of going all day without one but so far so good.

Hasney

Well the Atma process hasn't been too painful, 3 so far, each one took apx 60 mins to get. I have heard horror stories of going all day without one but so far so good.

I'm not sure how the RNG works on it, but I have heard in the FC chat that a lot of people got the first 4 quick and then got the horror stories. I've got the first 2 so I'm hoping they were unlucky.

Getting that keyboard someone posted a few pages back was a brilliant idea. It's great for this game & PS4, best $25 spent ever:

B005DKZTMG_K400_FOB_US_lg.jpg

That keyboard look cool... but i the feel of moving with a keyboard... so i use gamepad + usb keyboard now

I'm very concerned by the touchpad on the right however ... is it supported by other applications ? ( like the internet broswer ? )

draw4wild

Is there a way to quickly change your skills when using low level duty roulette? I want to start doing them on a healer for faster queue times plus to learn scholar and relearn how to whm since I leveled her in 1.0 However a lot of the time since I'm synced down a lot of my skills get greyed out and I have no idea what's available at that particular level. Even on Smn, it takes me awhile to remember to stop trying to bio2 and fester mobs in satasha then I'll forget to use them in brayflox since i just didnt use them in satasha but I'm worried I'll get people killed if I do that as healer.

And a few Smn question, for trash pulls, at what point is it better to use an aetherflow stack on bane vs just festering focus target? Ive been using bane as long as there's one other mob but do I need 3+ mobs to make bane more efficient than fester? Also I pretty much stop dotting a mob at 40% health and just ruin spam since I know I won't get the full duration on the mob? How many ticks of my dots do I need to for them to be worth recasting vs ruin spam.

And I one of those quiet ps4 players for now since it takes me forever to type with onscreen keyboard but my keyboard comes Friday and I'll finally be able to participate in conversations.

Hasney

Oh my god, it's $25 on Amazon US and £30 on Amazon UK!

What a joke!

it's £30 everywhere annoyingly. Ended up getting mine at PC World for the same price so I could just walk in and grab it.

Still worth it though.
Except for the time I hit myself in the balls with it

That keyboard look cool... but i the feel of moving with a keyboard... so i use gamepad + usb keyboard now

I'm very concerned by the touchpad on the right however ... is it supported by other applications ? ( like the internet broswer ? )

Works on Final Fantasy, not on the web browser. The web browser doesn't have mouse support at all for some reason.

I greed on everything i don't need, shit trades in for company seals and if nobody needs it whats the problem? just silly people being silly id be more concerned if they where complaining about how you where playing than rolling on gear

dramatis

Is there a way to quickly change your skills when using low level duty roulette? I want to start doing them on a healer for faster queue times plus to learn scholar and relearn how to whm since I leveled her in 1.0 However a lot of the time since I'm synced down a lot of my skills get greyed out and I have no idea what's available at that particular level. Even on Smn, it takes me awhile to remember to stop trying to bio2 and fester mobs in satasha then I'll forget to use them in brayflox since i just didnt use them in satasha but I'm worried I'll get people killed if I do that as healer.
You're either going to have to just get used to it or fill up an additional hotbar with abilities. I recommend the former. In low level stuff, you don't have to worry about using much abilities. In the higher level stuff, you'll be running the full gamut so much you get used to it, so you might as well keep your hotbar for high level stuff. Do some quick changes in the dungeon and switch them back if you have to.

aceface

They had probably been running Brayflox again and again for the Battlemage drops and got salty because when it finally dropped they lost the roll. You're a SMN though so screw 'em. That's loot for your class.

Aeana

Just curious, why not have Ragnar switch to a DPS class? I'm curious for whether our WAR (or me as PLD) should switch to a DPS job or whether there's a reason to have a 2nd tank, as it didn't seem that way during video as Yenn tanked dreadnoughts and avatar.
As Alucrid said, neither of our tanks have decently geared DPS jobs. Besides, our group is all about never having the optimal setup for any fight, apparently. We manage. We beat the enrage by a minute so there's no need to worry much.

Edit: Man, there was a whole other page of posts I missed. Derp.

plake

An alternative could be for your to make a macro for bio. For example:

Code:
/micon "Bio II"
/ac "Bio II"
/ac Bio

This would give your macro the icon of Bio II. It would cast Bio II and IF it's not available it would cast Bio instead. Useful for capped stuff, huh!

IvorB

I greed on everything i don't need, shit trades in for company seals and if nobody needs it whats the problem? just silly people being silly id be more concerned if they where complaining about how you where playing than rolling on gear

Wait... you can trade that stuff in for company seals? I've only just signed on with the grand company. I knew that sh*t would come in handy. So back to hoovering up everything I guess.

orion434

Wait... you can trade that stuff in for company seals? I've only just signed on with the grand company. I knew that sh*t would come in handy. So back to hoovering up everything I guess.

This comes in handy when you eventually get to Brayflox HM, Darklight unwanted gear is traded in for 805 GC Seals. You trade in gear for Seals, then use the Seals for Venture Coins or ilv 70 mats. I never understand the speed runs that don't go for 2 easy to get to chests, like 15 seconds.

I've been playing the past few weeks. I finished Brayflox on Sunday. First group was terrible. I wound up trying to tank every other battle (as a Dragoon), because our tank couldn't hold aggro and typically died every 2-3 fights. We made it to the second boss before the group left.

Second grouping went a lot better. The tank knew what he was doing, healer was on his game and I don't recall anyone dying throughout the dungeon. What got me in that run, though, was every chest was a piece of aetherial gear that was better than my own. Each piece had DRG on it, but I couldn't Need roll on a single piece. I tried to Greed roll and hope for the best, but the tank Need rolled on all of it. I didn't say anything, because I figured out level past sooner rather than later, but the fact I couldn't Need roll was pretty frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom