• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

Sorry if this has been asked and answered but can that touchpad control the cursor like the touchpad on the controller?

It sure can. Just be careful with the clicking as the touchpad itself can also be used to click if you put your finger on it and don't move.

It sure can. Just be careful with the clicking as the touchpad itself can also be used to click if you put your finger on it and don't move.

That's cool, might pick one up. On the topic of touchpads:when using the ground targeting is there any other way of confirming your target other than tapping the touchpad? Seems like pressing X should do it but doesn't seem to work. When tapping the touchpad to confirm there seems to be a little latency and drives me nuts

Clockwork5

643722.jpg

I have had this for years. The trackball is not as smooth as it once was... But it is still very comfortable. The trackball is in the upper right and mouse buttons on the upper left. the keyboard can be held like a controller and both can be reached with your thumbs.

This thing is pretty great.

Edit. Its made by Iogear

XenoRaven

As a drg/lnc what's my best bet for healing when I'm solo? Potions are really shitty and don't restore much hp
As a melee DPS your healing options are obviously limited. In terms of innate DRG abilities, just make sure you're using Life Surge on your biggest damage attack. Cross class you can grab Bloodbath from MRD and Second Wind from PGL. It doesn't help a ton but that's pretty much all you've got.

IvorB

Yeah when you've ranked up a few times.

This comes in handy when you eventually get to Brayflox HM, Darklight unwanted gear is traded in for 805 GC Seals. You trade in gear for Seals, then use the Seals for Venture Coins or ilv 70 mats. I never understand the speed runs that don't go for 2 easy to get to chests, like 15 seconds.

Hmmm... better get on that I guess. I think I am way behind on the story, being level 32 and only signing up for the grand company now.

Think I will bunk gym today and get started on it.

Hasney

That's cool, might pick one up. On the topic of touchpads:when using the ground targeting is there any other way of confirming your target other than tapping the touchpad? Seems like pressing X should do it but doesn't seem to work. When tapping the touchpad to confirm there seems to be a little latency and drives me nuts

X does work for me, but I've turned the touchpad virtual mouse off and aim with the sticks. You have to press X without L2 or R2.

Ok, so I decided to definetely pick this up.

Been looking at some of the classes and cant really decide between being a white mage or a paladin.

I see that I need Gladiator and Conjurer for Paladin and Conjurer is also on the White Mage path.

So:

1 - should I start with Conjurer first?
2 - Can I switch classes easily?
3 - does this game makes playing with others easy?
4 - being more of a healer/support character will make me have to play with some DPS people. Is the GAF Guild active?
5 - Where and how can I find and join GAF Guild?

Thanks in advance for the help :)

EDIT - Im getting it on PS4. Is there cross play?

Wilsongt

Ok, so I decided to definetely pick this up.

Been looking at some of the classes and cant really decide between being a white mage or a paladin.

I see that I need Gladiator and Conjurer for Paladin and Conjurer is also on the White Mage path.

So:

1 - should I start with Conjurer first?
4 - being more of a healer/support character will make me have to play with some DPS people. Is the GAF Guild active?

Thanks in advance for the help :)

1. Yes, you can start with CNJ first.
2. You can start switching classes after a certain point in the story. Fairly early, though.
3. If you join a FC, yes, it's very easy to play with others. Also, there are PF which lets you build a party from the server, and DF which pairs you up with people randonmly.
4. GAF guild is very active.
5. Ask someone from Ultros if that is what you're joining. Lol.

Hasney

EDIT - Im getting it on PS4. Is there cross play?

Not used those classes so I can't say about that but 2) yes. Once you hit level 15 of your first class, changing classes is as easy as going to the guild and equipping that weapon. 3) Duty Finder makes it easy. Click what you want to play and it'll find you a group. DPS classes have a hard time with queue times as there are so many of us, but healers and tanks have it easier. but then 4) Very active. 5) Join Ultros and look at the OP

EDIT QUESTION: Everyone on all formats play together, yes.

OK thanks for the replies.

So I will start with Conjurer and join Ultros.

Also, will look for Ultros info on the OP.

Hopefully I get the game soon and start playing.

Thanks for the help :)

Wilsongt

I've been in some pretty rough DF Turn 1s...

There's also a significant lack of knowledge when it comes to rot in Turn 2. I've never done the Rot method until my FC was farming turn 1 and turn 2. I've only used enrage, but rot is so much easier when you think about it and actually do it. Of course, we picked up a couple of people on PF to fill in some spaces. One person got it immediately, the other person...?

Yeah.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
There's also a significant lack of knowledge when it comes to rot in Turn 2. I've never done the Rot method until my FC was farming turn 1 and turn 2. I've only used enrage, but rot is so much easier when you think about it and actually do it. Of course, we picked up a couple of people on PF to fill in some spaces. One person got it immediately, the other person...?

Yeah.

The amount of people who don't know the real Turn 2 strategy is pretty staggering. I was pretty surprised to see it myself.

Jayhawk

In case Lonestar has been reading his thread, but not his PMs.... read your PM regarding availability for coil this weekend!

Number45

This comes in handy when you eventually get to Brayflox HM, Darklight unwanted gear is traded in for 805 GC Seals. You trade in gear for Seals, then use the Seals for Venture Coins or ilv 70 mats. I never understand the speed runs that don't go for 2 easy to get to chests, like 15 seconds.
I managed to trade in two pieces that I got from leve treasure coffers (the level 45 ones in Mor Dhona) for over 700 each last night. Random perhaps, but a useful boost nonetheless!

The amount of people who don't know the real Turn 2 strategy is pretty staggering. I was pretty surprised to see it myself.

I literally had not done it with the rot method since before 2.2, and people who only did T2 in PF never did the rot method after the enrage method was discovered last year. So it's not surprising at all that most random people you meet don't know the rot method. Basically only progression statics which formed right around when the game launched would know about it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

Wilsongt

I literally had not done it with the rot method since before 2.2, and people who only did T2 in PF never did the rot method after the enrage method was discovered last year. So it's not surprising at all that most random people you meet don't know the rot method. Basically only progression statics which formed right around when the game launched would know about it.

Even with enrage, there is still a chance for failure if people don't dodge the initial line AoE or if high voltage manages to go off. Or even if you lack a bard due to the huge mp consumption needed if your DPS is too low. I had an enrage run fail because our only bard's mp ran out and mage's ballad dropped.

Aeana

Well, I understand not knowing how to execute it, but not knowing what rot even is or why the heck they're standing there doing nothing for several minutes would surprise me.

I've never done enrage, but I do know that we would always beat it faster doing rot than people who did enrage, and that was good enough for me. The less time spent in there, the better.

orion434

I managed to trade in two pieces that I got from leve treasure coffers (the level 45 ones in Mor Dhona) for over 700 each last night. Random perhaps, but a useful boost nonetheless!

Yeah, the higher the ilv the more GC Seals you receive. If you want to make quick GC Seals, the daily Provision missions Crafting / Gathering at lv 50 can net you ~ 9,000+ Seals a day in about 15 minutes.

zewone

Well, I understand not knowing how to execute it, but not knowing what rot even is or why the heck they're standing there doing nothing for several minutes would surprise me.

I've never done enrage, but I do know that we would always beat it faster doing rot than people who did enrage, and that was good enough for me. The less time spent in there, the better.

I've literally never seen a PF willing to do rot. People will just quit if there's no BRD in the group.

It's really annoying since I need one piece from there so I have to keep trying. -__-

Aeana

I've literally never seen a PF willing to do rot. People will just quit if there's no BRD in the group.

It's really annoying since I need one piece from there so I have to keep trying. -__-
Dealing with PF for Coil sounds like an absolute nightmare, so I sympathize completely.

Eterniti

So I made a toon on Mateus (since I was originally trying to get into Sargatanas with some friends, but it's full) and made a Miqote Archer and I'm enjoying the gameplay so far. Took me a little bit to get used to everything, but now I'm just doing quests and trying to get used to the town I'm in. Overall, it seems fun and I'm hoping I can get some progress in before all the other games come out.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Played a bit when ARR first came out. I just got the the PS4 version, and boy have they added a bunch of stuff. I hope the individual housing comes soon.

bob page

Newegg has FFXIV (PS3) for $13, which can easily be upgraded to the PS4 version, in case anyone needs it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879262029

I did this last week and it was an easy process. Just installed it on my PS3, created an account, ran the transfer through Mog Station, then downloaded the PS4 digital version.

I feel kind of bad cheating them out of money for such a great game, but I'm sure they'll make it back from my monthly subs.

Teknoman

While waiting (I wasn't chatting since I'm on PS4)

And thats why you need to have a keyboard plugged into your console of choice.

Its not your fault, especially if you need rolled on something you actually needed/it wasnt a PF group that had some item designation, or whatever, but you could've told them what was up.

Never go without a way to talk to someone quickly in an mmo ya know? I even had a keyboard plugged into my Wii for Monster Hunter 3.

You just came across some assholes, bro. It happens, but luckily it's rare in FF14. Don't dwell too hard on it.

My system:
If it's an improvement on my current gear, I'm allowed to roll need, and the stats are clearly for my class: Need.
If it's something I could use on an alt right now: Greed
If it's something I could maybe use on an alt in the future or something I'll probably never use: Pass

If people freak let them freak. The system is what it is for a reason.

Thats the best way imo. Its what I do too.

Teknoman

I think its just crossover from people being used to typing short psn messages with dualshock, combined with it being a first mmo for some.

But yeah, a usb keyboard of any kind is pretty much a necessary thing.

Eterniti

My new favorite thing is PS4 players stopping in the middle of a boss fight to type with the on screen keyboard.

Definitely not an ideal solution haha. Fortunately, I have an extra Bluetooth keyboard, so this shouldn't be an issue moving forward. Playing it on PS4 myself ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom