• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new favorite thing is PS4 players stopping in the middle of a boss fight to type with the on screen keyboard.

Never done that. I just got yelled because I can't respond right away and I'm not DPS enough, so the tank/healer leaves the party.

Will get the keyboard, but stil...

Teknoman

Will a wireless mouse with a USB dongle work with the PS4? If so, I need to find my dongle.

I'd assume so, but really the dual shock works great for controlling. People just need a fast/appropriate way to chat.

Or if you're the only one who uses your PC, unplug the keyboard and move it to where ever your PS4 is.

Kssio_Aug

As I said yesterday, one temporary solution is to use a smartphone with the Playstation App to tap the messages. Its not as good as a keyboard (since the DS4 will still be needed to access the chatbox and to send the written message). But tap with the smartphone is surely A LOT faster than tapping with the DS4.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
My new favorite thing is PS4 players stopping in the middle of a boss fight to type with the on screen keyboard.

Had to order a bluetooth keyboard because of this, but in the end I think ill have to play crazy battles on keyboard/mouse so i can talk and action at the same time. I dunno, im still only lvl16 so it doesnt make much difference right now, but I am worried about not being able to play high lvl content on the controller...

As I said yesterday, one temporary solution is to use a smartphone with the Playstation App to tap the messages. Its not as good as a keyboard (since the DS4 will still be needed to access the chatbox and to send the written message). But tap with the smartphone is surely A LOT faster than tapping with the DS4.

Thanks for the tip.

Hey guys, wanted a little help. I'm a 15 archer (story and class quests complete), and just completed my level 10 thaumaturge quest. I am attempting to unlock leve quests in ul'dah, but the levemete guy says I'm not experienced enough. How do I unlock leve and duty finder with my thaumaturge?

CLBridges

Spent the better part of two hours trying to help a couple FC members get a Titan X clear. One of the new guys just couldn't stop getting hit by landslides lol. The other was a healer who was getting wrecked by weights. Titan X is still a headache even after I've downed him multiple times. After this week, I'm taking a break from the three original primal trials. I'll let the FC Leaders handle folks who need it lol.

dramatis

Hey guys, wanted a little help. I'm a 15 archer (story and class quests complete), and just completed my level 10 thaumaturge quest. I am attempting to unlock leve quests in ul'dah, but the levemete guy says I'm not experienced enough. How do I unlock leve and duty finder with my thaumaturge?
Unlock it with archer. Do leves with thaumaturge. Get THM up to 15, and you will be able to enter Satasha, after lvl 16 more stuff will open up.

Aeana

Had to order a bluetooth keyboard because of this, but in the end I think ill have to play crazy battles on keyboard/mouse so i can talk and action at the same time. I dunno, im still only lvl16 so it doesnt make much difference right now, but I am worried about not being able to play high lvl content on the controller...

I've beaten every bit of content in the game besides turn 9 of Coil with a controller.
I just use a keyboard to type.

Kssio_Aug

Later Ill see about posting some controller config here. It helps a lot. Im using a keyboard just to tap messages, and playing with the DS4 is being a very good experience so far (level 36 now). Sometines I even think that if I play it on PC too I will play with my X360 pad with the same configuration.

As long as you configure your hotbars correctly, it will become very good. The only problem is the communication really. For that one a keyboard is ideal (and PS app a good temporary solution).

dramatis

I was under the impression i could unlock them at level 10
Leves yes, duty finder no.

The nearest levemete unlock in Ul'dah/Thanalan region is Scorpion's Crossing in Western Thanalan. Use Gate of Sultana from the Aethernet in the city and head straight down the steps to a walled area, you can't miss it.

There are multiple levemetes around the world, all of them require a battle class unlock quest first, and they can be done every 5 levels (10, 15, 20, etc.).

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
I'd assume so, but really the dual shock works great for controlling. People just need a fast/appropriate way to chat.

Or if you're the only one who uses your PC, unplug the keyboard and move it to where ever your PS4 is.

Cool, thanks. I like using the controller and mouse, but I'm beginning to get a rats nest of wires leading to my Lay-Z-Boy.

WolvenOne

So, do you think they'll ever grease the drop rate of those Pony mounts any? I personally wouldn't mind farming the Extreme Primals for those mounts at some point, but, I think getting farm parties for those fights will only become more and more difficult as the equipment they drop becomes more and more obsolete.

Heck, most people aren't even bothering with Primal Focus anymore, since the bulk of Leviathan weapons are better.

CLBridges

So, do you think they'll ever grease the drop rate of those Pony mounts any? I personally wouldn't mind farming the Extreme Primals for those mounts at some point, but, I think getting farm parties for those fights will only become more and more difficult as the equipment they drop becomes more and more obsolete.

Heck, most people aren't even bothering with Primal Focus anymore, since the bulk of Leviathan weapons are better.

I hope they do increase the drop rate for mounts. That's really the only reason I do them nowadays. I know I don't "need" the mount, but they look pretty cool to me. For me, after this week, I will only be running Mog and Levi X as far as Primals are concerned. No point for me grinding out ilvl90 weapons when I could do Levi X and grind for mirrors. Oh, and ATMA can suck it lol.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I think you need it for four man.

34 is pretty easy for secondary classes with 50% bonus.

does a 50% bonus kick in at some point?

I use Stoneskin religiously as a WHM, and I'm not the class known as FFXIV's "disc priest".. so yeah, I would guess Stoneskin is near-mandatory for SCH. seems it would be for a bubble healer.

Dunan

I'm getting used to playing on the PS4, and it's quite beautiful, but a few things are bothering me:

* Occasionally, for no apparent reason, the "quest you're queued for in the Duty Finder" sound plays, an an unpleasantly piercing volume, during dungeons. What is going on here?

* The chat box doesn't hold very much text if you make the fonts bug, but it looks like there's a way to enlarge it -- hovering the mouse over the top left corner brings up a four-way arrow cursor. How do I enlarge the box? Clicking on the corner does nothing.

* Full HD is a joke font-size-wise -- every available size is too small to read. Is there any movement to allow 200% font sizes in full HD in a future update? If there never will be, I'll have to play with standard graphics, because that version is more readable at 120% than Full HD is at 140%. I'm on a 1920x1080 21-inch HD television screen, and I sometimes wish I had never upgraded to PS4.

* Not a PS4 question: I've been collecting tomestones from these post-game missions, and have found the place (or a place
Rowena's shop in Mor Dhona
) where you can spend them and finally acquire ultra-high-item-level gear, the lack of which has been keeping me out of some of the other postgame stuff. Is there any other way to acquire them?

And Teknoman, thanks for inviting me on your Brayflow run yesterday! My first time through, it was a crew of veterans who raced through everything, and there wasn't much of a chance to really learn the fights. That last fight, with the bombs that you have to quickly disperse, is a lot of fun!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Yes. Well maybe not really but when you are healing later 4-man dungeons, people will expect you to have it.

I think you need it for four man.

34 is pretty easy for secondary classes with 50% bonus.

need is a big word, but its nice to be able to have a bigger chance of winning in a df since i dont have a static that can clear it always :p

It's important in endgame content.

No need to rush it, but eventually you should get it

guess I need to bust out the old lvl 20 CNJ

fuck i really hope i didn't materia ALL my gear -_-

borghe

* Occasionally, for no apparent reason, the "quest you're queued for in the Duty Finder" sound plays, an an unpleasantly piercing volume, during dungeons. What is going on here?

If you mean the "metal clash" through the DS4 speaker, I believe it means you had something proc. As WHM it does it for me when my Freecure trait procs. I actually play with my stereo loud-ish and wish there was an even better way to notify me when a trait procs. I don't want to be like "well wow has..." but something like auras from WoW would be very welcome.

edit - or yes looking below, limit break. you basically get the DS4 speaker sound anytime something procs.

* The chat box doesn't hold very much text if you make the fonts bug, but it looks like there's a way to enlarge it -- hovering the mouse over the top left corner brings up a four-way arrow cursor. How do I enlarge the box? Clicking on the corner does nothing.

Go into mouse mode.. umm L1+R3 I believe. then use the "left click" to select it and change its size. L1+R3 to exit mouse mode.

Iorv3th

I'm getting used to playing on the PS4, and it's quite beautiful, but a few things are bothering me:

* Full HD is a joke font-size-wise -- every available size is too small to read. Is there any movement to allow 200% font sizes in full HD in a future update? If there never will be, I'll have to play with standard graphics, because that version is more readable at 120% than Full HD is at 140%. I'm on a 1920x1080 21-inch HD television screen, and I sometimes wish I had never upgraded to PS4.

I think that sound is when spammers whisper you. I get it every so often. That or your limit break is full.

As far as the text, how far are you sitting away from your TV? I'm playing on a 20'' monitor at 1080 and have no problems with it at all. But i'm sitting at a computer desk so i'm not that far away. It's a little tough on remote play, but I can still make it out.

xMuku

* Not a PS4 question: I've been collecting tomestones from these post-game missions, and have found the place (or a place
Rowena's shop in Mor Dhona
) where you can spend them and finally acquire ultra-high-item-level gear, the lack of which has been keeping me out of some of the other postgame stuff. Is there any other way to acquire them?

And Teknoman, thanks for inviting me on your Brayflow run yesterday! My first time through, it was a crew of veterans who raced through everything, and there wasn't much of a chance to really learn the fights. That last fight, with the bombs that you have to quickly disperse, is a lot of fun!

Edit: NVM first line :p
Raids and trials are good to get gear. If you're just starting, Crystal Tower drops iLVL 70 stuff. You'll want ot be in iLVL 80's before extreme trials, not required but preferred.
I also get that random sound of duty finder poppiong and I have yet to find out why.

WolvenOne

I hope they do increase the drop rate for mounts. That's really the only reason I do them nowadays. I know I don't "need" the mount, but they look pretty cool to me. For me, after this week, I will only be running Mog and Levi X as far as Primals are concerned. No point for me grinding out ilvl90 weapons when I could do Levi X and grind for mirrors. Oh, and ATMA can suck it lol.

I'll grind for more Atma's later, fact of the matter is that Relics are always going to be upgradable to, "passable," weapons, for even the hardest content. So they're valuable to have around, as you cannot always count of having luck with drops or whatnot.

I just hope they avoid anything like the Atma or Myth grinds. A little grinding is fine, but Atma was waaay too random, and short of taking months to do the Animus books there was no way the Myth Grind wasn't going to become frustrating.

A bit of grinding is fine, heck, even a lot of grinding is fine. However grinding needs to be both varied and predictable, or else it's just a slog.

FYI: Varied = running more than 1-2 dungeons over and over. Predictable = You can see your progress, and if you fall behind you can see why.

Anyhow, yeah, while I certainly won't object to having access to more ilvl90 weapons, at this point ponies and helping friends are the only reason I'm running the original three Extreme Primals. So if they don't grease the drop rate somehow I can see those fights being ignored entirely by everyone but newer players.

That isn't the end of the world, but even with nerfs, the newer players frequently need in game help to get past those fights in a reasonably prompt manner.

Edit: Ditto with the Leviathan Mirrors. Even those won't be enough to keep people running Leviathan forever, but an increased drop rate would keep that train rolling somewhat into 2.3 at least.

Dunan

If you mean the "metal clash" through the DS4 speaker, I believe it means you had something proc. As WHM it does it for me when my Freecure trait procs. I actually play with my stereo loud-ish and wish there was an even better way to notify me when a trait procs. I don't want to be like "well wow has..." but something like auras from WoW would be very welcome.

edit - or yes looking below, limit break. you basically get the DS4 speaker sound anytime something procs.

So it's through the controller? That explains why my better half was woken up when I was palying at night using headphones. ^_^;

And -- noob question -- what is "proc" an abbreviation for?

Go into mouse mode.. umm L1+R3 I believe. then use the "left click" to select it and change its size. L1+R3 to exit mouse mode.

Thanks; will try this!

I think that sound is when spammers whisper you. I get it every so often.

That's actually a different sound. While trying to identify the sound I'm asking about, I went and fiddled with a whole bunch of them, making them as different as possible, and selected for those /tells a sound that I think comes straight from FF8. The good old days...

As far as the text, how far are you sitting away from your TV? I'm playing on a 20'' monitor at 1080 and have no problems with it at all. But i'm sitting at a computer desk so i'm not that far away. It's a little tough on remote play, but I can still make it out.

I'm less than two meters away. My eyesight isn't the best, but I never had trobule reading text on any PS2 or PS3 game, and when games (FFXIII comes to mind) offered enlarged text, I didn't need it. But this game has super-tiny text for everything and then trolls you by offering a myriad of sizes below the only opssibly-readable one.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: NVM first line :p
Raids and trials are good to get gear. If you're just starting, Crystal Tower drops iLVL 70 stuff. You'll want ot be in iLVL 80's before extreme trials, not required but preferred.
I also get that random sound of duty finder poppiong and I have yet to find out why.

Crystal Tower is ilvl 80 gear. The "expert" dungeons drop ilvl 70 gear, while the "hard" dungeons drop ilvl 55+ gear.

The primals also drop weapons that are good intermediate steps between your level 50 weapon and your relic.

borghe

And -- noob question -- what is "proc" an abbreviation for?
lol I had to look up the origination of the term. apparently it stands for "Programmed Random OCcurrence". Basically anytime "whenever you do A, B has a chance of happening", when B happens it's called "proc/proccing". So for WHM, Freecure (trait that makes my next Cure II free) has a chance to popup (proc) every time I cast Cure I.

You can use the touchpad and hover your pointer over the top right corner until it changes to a different icon. After that, tap (maybe double tap) and hold the touchpad (do not push down the touchpad so it clicks) and then drag it to resize it.

borghe

You can use the touchpad and hover your pointer over the top right corner until it changes to a different icon. After that, tap (maybe double tap) and hold the touchpad (do not push down the touchpad so it clicks) and then drag it to resize it.

I could not find a way to do it with the touchpad outside of mouse mode, fwiw. once in mouse mode you can use the touchpad to resize it, but just in normal mode tapping and double tapping doesn't seem to do anything. and yeah as others are saying.. I sit around 4-5' tops from my 46" screen. though that is a tiny bit close.. not horrible but I did have to move my party frame in a ways so I didn't have to move my eyes from the center (to not stand in shit) to the side (check party health and debuffs) as a healer.

orion434

This means 1 bar of the Limit Break has filled and ready to use.

Ken

I havent needed it so far, so I guess not.

The most helpful things I've used the battle log for is to etiher filter the chat down to only enemy casts so I can see what's coming in text form or to point fingers at who killed spiny plume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom