• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzu

tumblr_n59u45bd6v1s05klto3_1280.jpg

Kobold mount~

Getting the sahagin one next for the hell of it.

I played on PC at launch, now PS4, and I'm always thinking about ways to optimize my HUD. Lately started thinking: is it possible to get an effective, informative HUD going that closely resembles the HUD of classic Final Fantasy games?

I'm struggling because I think there'd be limitations. You can't split up the party window (to my knowledge), so I can put it in the bottom-right corner and size appropriately, but it'd be obtrusive when it lengthens to fit 8 players. You can't remove or hide the chat log (unless someone knows a way to make it significantly less visible?). And there's no historical Final Fantasy precedent for where the Journal list might go, though as an i91 WAR, I could just hide it and not suffer at all.

Has anyone tried to replicate a classic Final Fantasy HUD? Any success or ideas?

Kssio_Aug

Is it possible to filter the chat to receive every message but the ones at general chat? Its fucking annoying to blacklist a new gold spammer every 5 minutes.

Kenai

guess I need to bust out the old lvl 20 CNJ

fuck i really hope i didn't materia ALL my gear -_-

I still don't have it on my SCH and clear every 4 man pretty handily (and I'm one of those guys who sneaks in a few spiritbond-y things too).

i can imagine it being somewhat useful for the first pull in a speedrun or in PvP, but that's not what I'd call necessary (also it it's a really hadcore SR they'd probably want a WHM over a SCH anyway for Holy). I don't join random SRs since the DF queue is so fast for healers/I have a static PLD who just SSs himself pre-pull for 2 boss Bray clears and I don't PvP at all. As soon as you join any 8 man, it's totally redundant since WHMs have a passive to make theirs much better than yours and it's highly impractical to cast after combat has started over just using Adloq.There might be the super rare occasion where you join a DF 8 man and get a second SCH I guess?

The only abilities I consider mandatory are Swiftcast (for everything) and Protect (for 4 mans), and lately I'd also highly recommend getting used to Cleric Stance and Aero for farm content.

Teknoman

I played on PC at launch, now PS4, and I'm always thinking about ways to optimize my HUD. Lately started thinking: is it possible to get an effective, informative HUD going that closely resembles the HUD of classic Final Fantasy games?

I'm struggling because I think there'd be limitations. You can't split up the party window (to my knowledge), so I can put it in the bottom-right corner and size appropriately, but it'd be obtrusive when it lengthens to fit 8 players. You can't remove or hide the chat log (unless someone knows a way to make it significantly less visible?). And there's no historical Final Fantasy precedent for where the Journal list might go, though as an i91 WAR, I could just hide it and not suffer at all.

Has anyone tried to replicate a classic Final Fantasy HUD? Any success or ideas?

The only thing I could see fitting with how the game is laid out.. glove pointer for menus. Thats about it. FFXI was sorta close, but still had differences.

aceface

I still don't have it on my SCH and clear every 4 man pretty handily (and I'm one of those guys who sneaks in a few spiritbond-y things too).

i can imagine it being somewhat useful for the first pull in a speedrun or in PvP, but that's not what I'd call necessary (also it it's a really hadcore SR they'd probably want a WHM over a SCH anyway for Holy). I don't join random SRs since the DF queue is so fast for healers/I have a static PLD who just SSs himself pre-pull for 2 boss Bray clears and I don't PvP at all. As soon as you join any 8 man, it's totally redundant since WHMs have a passive to make theirs much better than yours and it's highly impractical to cast after combat has started over just using Adloq.There might be the super rare occasion where you join a DF 8 man and get a second SCH I guess?

The only abilities I consider mandatory are Swiftcast (for everything) and Protect (for 4 mans), and lately I'd also highly recommend getting used to Cleric Stance and Aero for farm content.

I agree with all this, I don't think stone skin is necessary for scholars at all. (Do WHMs even use it at all during battle, outside of the initial pull?) however if you are healing in a roulette or DF party people are going to get antsy if hey don't get their stone skin at the beginning. If your attitude is fuck em! Them don't bother. If you care about making other people happy you should probably get it. (Look at me! I'm making people happy!) Personally, I leveled both healing jobs to 50 like a chump.

Dunan

I too am an HUD-customization junkie and am always trying to find new ways to make information more readable and accessible, particularly with using bigger fonts but not losing info. I put my parameter bar and hotbars in the bottom right corner to make my character more visible, and shoved all the UI elements that are on the edges of the screen all the way to the edge, which clears up lots of space. The chat window is maddeningly anchored in place; I'd love to move it a little to the left and clear space there too.

I didn't see the need to actively show your inventory space or gil, so I dumped those. I stuffed the experience bar underneath the chat window.

AFAIK the party info has to go in rows from top-to-bottom, so if you try to put it in the bottom right corner, classic-style, you're going to either have to leave lots of space at the bottom, or allocate space for 4 members and then manually move it every time you're in an 8-member party. (Does this make sense?)

If the party info "scrolled upwards", you could anchor it in the bottom right corner, eliminate the parameter bar (since the same stuff is shown in the party info), and have it look very much like FF8/9/10/12.

Then you could put the 'aggroing enemies' life bars to the left of that, scaled appropriately, and you'd have something like a classic battle screen down there.

What I'd really like to see is the journal stuff being made visible with a button, like the map is. It really doesn't need to be taking up all that screen space all the time, but it is important enough that going into the main menu and selecting 'Journal' is too much work.

And inside a dungeon, we don't need to see the 'outside world' active quests anymore. Just stop displaying that stuff until we come out of the dungeon.

Now I'm Googling for "ffxiv custom hud" and looking at all the craziness people have come up with!

Dunan

What's a good way to level up my chocobo? I need to get his level 3 healing skill.

Buy some gysahl greens and use them to take him out in battle with you. His level will scale with yours so use whatever class you like. At (your) level 50, the chocobo will still gain exp even if you can't anymore.

Kenai

I agree with all this, I don't think stone skin is necessary for scholars at all. (Do WHMs even use it at all during battle, outside of the initial pull?) however if you are healing in a roulette or DF party people are going to get antsy if hey don't get their stone skin at the beginning. If your attitude is fuck em! Them don't bother. If you care about making other people happy you should probably get it. (Look at me! I'm making people happy!) Personally, I leveled both healing jobs to 50 like a chump.

There's a few that do (my co-healer used it very well during Turn 5 a few months back), but it's rare for me to see WHMs do that (to be fair randoms in DR don't set the bar high). It's expensive and has a fairly slow cast time so it seems to take a back seat to other spells unless there's an MP surplus, extra time, and predicable damage coming up to make it more useful to use over just casting a Cure.

I'm not saying it's super duper useless but it's pretty low priority and no SCH should feel obligated to get it for 4/8 mans. It will literally save you 1-2 mob swings prepull in places like Brayflox,, aka not a big deal.

So it's through the controller? That explains why my better half was woken up when I was palying at night using headphones. ^_^;

I'm less than two meters away. My eyesight isn't the best, but I never had trobule reading text on any PS2 or PS3 game, and when games (FFXIII comes to mind) offered enlarged text, I didn't need it. But this game has super-tiny text for everything and then trolls you by offering a myriad of sizes below the only opssibly-readable one.

I turned out the DS4 speakers a long time ago for that very reason.

The fonts are the worst in this game. I can mostly read them fine on a 55" screen, but I still need to squint from time to time, since I don't sit very close to it. The thing I absolutely can't read though is the bolded text on the items you need to make for the Tradecraft leves. And since that's the only relevant part of the quest it's incredibly annoying. Who the hell thought that font was readable? I also can barely make it out on Remote Play, but it's a bit easier there.

Is it possible to filter the chat to receive every message but the ones at general chat? Its fucking annoying to blacklist a new gold spammer every 5 minutes.

Related to this, how much is the gil they're selling? I saw something like 10,000 for $8.9 which obviously can't be right. Or maybe it was cents. That would make a little more sense, but 100k for 9 bucks still sounds pretty ludicrous. Or maybe it was millions, so 10 million gil for 9 bucks, but then it's too cheap. Actually I have no clue what would be a fair price for gil now that I think about it.

jiggle

some people are just so nasty
2 new guys in Ultima had trouble dodging
this BLM, who wasn't even well geared(to put it nicely) and ate Garuda aoe TWICE and full force of geocrush, had the audacity to say what he said to the 2 new guys
rage quit after 2nd try, but not without leaving a savory message
jgXOQg5xGb7pf.jpg

SMH

Teknoman

this BLM, who wasn't even well geared(to put it nicely) and ate Garuda aoe TWICE and full force of geocrush, had the audacity to say what he said to the 2 new guys
jgXOQg5xGb7pf.jpg

SMH

Yeah some people have really crazy short fuses.

Can someone tell me how to get to Cutter's Cry? I'm trying to complete a quest, and can see it on my map, but for the life of me, can't figure out how to get to it.

Z3M0G

I almost logged in on my PS4 through my vita in an airport half way across canada... but the connection wasnt stable enough.

the entrance of that is in some ant pit/cave thing by black brush station no?

The quest marker is in the middle of Central Thanalan, outside of Horizon, which may be what's throwing me off...

Edit: That was it! Thanks! I feel like such an idiot. lol

klee123

jgXOQg5xGb7pf.jpg

SMH

Of course, they expect to be carried.

T.O.P

Banned
Welp in the last 3-4 daysdays i got to 50, upgraded my gear a bit, got Ifrit Weapon and farmed a bit of CT-WP-AK and started the relic quest

Then tonight i go to the Market to see how much the materia i need costs

>130k each piece

FML

aceface

I too am an HUD-customization junkie and am always trying to find new ways to make information more readable and accessible, particularly with using bigger fonts but not losing info. I put my parameter bar and hotbars in the bottom right corner to make my character more visible, and shoved all the UI elements that are on the edges of the screen all the way to the edge, which clears up lots of space. The chat window is maddeningly anchored in place; I'd love to move it a little to the left and clear space there too.

I didn't see the need to actively show your inventory space or gil, so I dumped those. I stuffed the experience bar underneath the chat window.

AFAIK the party info has to go in rows from top-to-bottom, so if you try to put it in the bottom right corner, classic-style, you're going to either have to leave lots of space at the bottom, or allocate space for 4 members and then manually move it every time you're in an 8-member party. (Does this make sense?)

If the party info "scrolled upwards", you could anchor it in the bottom right corner, eliminate the parameter bar (since the same stuff is shown in the party info), and have it look very much like FF8/9/10/12.

Then you could put the 'aggroing enemies' life bars to the left of that, scaled appropriately, and you'd have something like a classic battle screen down there.

What I'd really like to see is the journal stuff being made visible with a button, like the map is. It really doesn't need to be taking up all that screen space all the time, but it is important enough that going into the main menu and selecting 'Journal' is too much work.

And inside a dungeon, we don't need to see the 'outside world' active quests anymore. Just stop displaying that stuff until we come out of the dungeon.

Now I'm Googling for "ffxiv custom hud" and looking at all the craziness people have come up with!

You can move the chat window; use the mouse to grab the general tab and move it.

To the dude above- convert some of your level 48-50 gear to materia. You might get lucky and get what you need and if you don't you can sell it in the market to offset the cost of the ones you do need.

jiggle

Of course, they expect to be carried.

yeah my thought exactly

Welp in the last 3-4 daysdays i got to 50, upgraded my gear a bit, got Ifrit Weapon and farmed a bit of CT-WP-AK and started the relic quest

Then tonight i go to the Market to see how much the materia i need costs

>130k each piece

buy dirt cheap level 45+ gear and make your own
doesn't take long and you have 11 to 12 shots of getting the 2 you need (and or sell the ones you don't to fund them)

Hi i have a little question i've just started using retainer and i've unlocked the hability to send them away ( on missions ) I've seen that you can reset their level to 1 ? what the point of that ?

I imagine that i can change the retainee class given that i've unlocked it so ... what's the point of reset ? ( i haven't used it yet so i'm asking in good faith ) .

Ken

Hi i have a little question i've just started using retainer and i've unlocked the hability to send them away ( on missions ) I've seen that you can reset their level to 1 ? what the point of that ?

I imagine that i can change the retainee class given that i've unlocked it so ... what's the point of reset ? ( i haven't used it yet so i'm asking in good faith ) .

That's how you change retainer's class, I'd imagine.

Like, you can't change your retainer's class without resetting it and losing all previous experience, but I haven't tried it yet myself so I'm just guessing.

jiggle

level 50 field exploration requires ilv70 to go on
so you would need two sets of that on top of what you use personally
and those i90 myth gear won't work

like i stupidly made two THM
so now i only have enough CT + DL accessories to gear up 1 of them

Griss

How often does the duty roulette daily bonus reset. (Yes, "daily", well done smartarse!) As in, I entered a duty at 23.50 on Thursday, beat it at 00.15 on Friday. Is that Friday's bonus used up now? Does it run off GMT for EU servers? Is it a straight 24 hour wait after your own last bonus?

Pretty trivial, but I want to know whether it's worth signing up for another one tonight. The exp you get from the bonus is amazing.

Leves yes, duty finder no.

The nearest levemete unlock in Ul'dah/Thanalan region is Scorpion's Crossing in Western Thanalan. Use Gate of Sultana from the Aethernet in the city and head straight down the steps to a walled area, you can't miss it.

There are multiple levemetes around the world, all of them require a battle class unlock quest first, and they can be done every 5 levels (10, 15, 20, etc.).

So I went to the suggested location, talked with "graceful song" and he says I'm not experienced enough- level 15 archer and level 10 thaumaturge switched to both and neither works

Ken

How often does the duty roulette daily bonus reset. (Yes, "daily", well done smartarse!) As in, I entered a duty at 23.50 on Thursday, beat it at 00.15 on Friday. Is that Friday's bonus used up now? Does it run off GMT for EU servers? Is it a straight 24 hour wait after your own last bonus?

Pretty trivial, but I want to know whether it's worth signing up for another one tonight. The exp you get from the bonus is amazing.

once every 24 hours

hah

Teknoman

Dont forget your guildhests and first time bonuses.

just reached level 49 Monk and only 520k exp away from hitting Level 50. I think I'll go back to story quests, but not before doing some Rank 3 Maelstrom hunting logs

Griss

Karma is a hell of a thing, lol.

Just tried Stone Vigil for the first time. Tank was fucking insufferable.
'AOE heal only when I say'
'No taking breaks'
'SMN use bane' (I had been using bane)
'SMN use bane god damn it'
-'I have, check the dots'
'Twice only, and too late, and your rotation is shit' (nonsense all around)

I'm not sure what the protocol for dealing with someone who tries to tell you how to play like this is, but I don't have much time for being stepped upon, so I simply replied 'fuck off and do your job, I'll do mine'. he replies 'what? why so hostile?' I had to laugh, bloody clueless asshole. It was clear that he just wanted to power run it, he was in a mad hurry throughout.

So we get to the first boss and for the first time in maybe a month my rock-solid internet cuts out for five minutes, leaving him high and dry. He'll imagine I quit to spite him, lol. Sweet, sweet karma. Feel bad for the other two, though. Really sours your experience when you encounter these people. It's the reason I never tried MOBAs, I hear the aggro is terrible and I know I couldn't deal with it.

I had just helped the most pleasant group of three people new to Titan too, and we all had a great chat afterwards. The people really do make the game...

As an aside, any experienced summoners tell me if my basic rotation is alright at lvl 40? I reckon it's fine, but I've never looked up any guides so I might as well ask.

Bio2 -> Miasma -> Bio -> Bane (if a group pull) -> Fester -> Ruin and/or dot reapplication/virus if neccessary etc -> Fester or Bane once more as appropriate -> Restore aetherflow stacks -> Repeat

EDIT: I probably need an FC, don't I? Any EU Gaf ones? Probably too late considering I'm settled on the server I'm on already.

dramatis

So I went to the suggested location, talked with "graceful song" and he says I'm not experienced enough- level 15 archer and level 10 thaumaturge switched to both and neither works
There's an NPC called Eustace in the Quicksand who gives you a quest called "Leves of Horizon", do it and you should be able to do the levemete unlock quests.

I could not find a way to do it with the touchpad outside of mouse mode, fwiw. once in mouse mode you can use the touchpad to resize it, but just in normal mode tapping and double tapping doesn't seem to do anything.

I just did it. What you want to do is move your pointer over the upper right corner with the touchpad. Double tap on the corner, with the second tap, make sure you hold your finger down and then drag the corner to resize it without lifting your finger. Again, make sure you don't push the touchpad in so that it clicks, keep your finger down on the surface of the touchpad on the second tap.

So when tanking, I usually Tomahawk a mob, gather them together and use Overpower before using my main combo (which is only two attacks) on my main target before switching over to my second target and doing the main enmity combo before switching to the last target and doing my enmity combo there...while throwing in a flash every so often. Anything I'm doing wrong per se?

Ken

So when tanking, I usually Tomahawk a mob, gather them together and use Overpower before using my main combo (which is only two attacks) on my main target before switching over to my second target and doing the main enmity combo before switching to the last target and doing my enmity combo there...while throwing in a flash every so often. Anything I'm doing wrong per se?

ctrl-f fracture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom