• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tash

I feel like I am derping as SCH on T6...All videos I watch people don't take that much damage..

Here is what I do: Try to keep succor up as much as possible (for vines and spit for sure). use buffed up Whispering dawn on CD to help minimize damage build up from vines/patches/bees.

Focus on tank with normal physic adlo treatment (and also throw up adlo and maybe a SS on the bee target). Focus on target with double vines, trying to keep them up.
Sacred Soil during Devour/Spits.

Alternating Virus and e4e as good as I can..

We still have troubles with incoming damage due to issues breaking the vines fast enough and healers (for whatever reason) being target VERY frequently as the anchor of two vines..

Anything I am not getting here? Damage throughout on the whole party seems constantly high -.-

Kssio_Aug

For those who says that Tank is easier, wich type of class is considered harder? I do not mean to fight or anything, im really asking opinions only, because since now (level 38 WAR) I havent played with a healer or dps yet.

But from what I observe, none of the classes seems too hard to do their function, as long however that everyone at the party play their class in the right way.

The tank can do a pretty good job with no headache if theres no one aggroing enemies they shouldnt be attacking yet. The helar just need to stay out of the action and buffing your party. The DPS just need to atack the targets there are attacking the tanker trying not aggroing them.

As long as everyone do their jobs thinking not just on themselves but also in the party, it seems not hard being a tanker, a healer or a dps.

I cant say however if thats true or pure common sense, since I did not played other classes then tanker.

For those who says that Tank is easier, wich type of class is considered harder? I do not mean to fight or anything, im really asking opinions only, because since now (level 38 WAR) I havent played with a healer or dps yet.

But from what I observe, none of the classes seems too hard to do their function, as long however that everyone at the party play their class in the right way.

The tank can do a pretty good job with no headache if theres no one aggroing enemies they shouldnt be attacking yet. The helar just need to stay out of the action and buffing your party. The DPS just need to atack the targets there are attacking the tanker trying not aggroing them.

As long as everyone do their jobs thinking not just on themselves but also in the party, it seems not hard being a tanker, a healer or a dps.

I cant say however if thats true or pure common sense, since I did not played other classes then tanker.
No job is mechanically taxing, but the deal with endgame content is that the "playing the class the right way" threshold raises quite a bit, so do the things you need to do.

At the point you are you can get by normally by using your defensive cooldowns whenever, healers can just overheal no problem and DPS can just do whatever, but in higher content pretty much every job will need proper planning for stuff like phase shifts and preparation for certain skills. Tanks will need to save their defensive cooldowns for specific moments so they can survive big chunks of damage, healers will need to precast their heals to mitigate undodgeable AoEs, DPS will need to save their steroids for DPS check phases, etc.

DPS are probably harder than the rest because quite often if your party doesn't do enough damage - most of the time because your DPS aren't doing as much damage as they possibly can - it means you get wiped. This is even more true for the melee DPS, who at the same time have to worry about positioning and stuff like double Wicked Wheels.

Tash

Well, in end game there are a lot of mechanics you have to look out for and on top a healer has to keep an eye on the health bars, remove debuffs and keep people alive while looking out for all the mechanics in the fight.
Not to mention, knowing the fight to be able to be pro-active during a fight. Generally there is much more to look out for for a healer than for any other job imo.

Tanks generally don't have to do much because they are more often than not not targeted with specific mechanics. Garuda EX is probably the only fight that is tougher on tanks then anyone else..all other fights are pretty easy as a tank.

DPS are probably harder because quite often if your party doesn't do enough damage - most of the time because your DPS aren't doing as much damage as they possibly can - it means you get wiped.

IN end game, that is more of a gear issue and not really an issue with harder to play, though.

Grinchy

Banned
For you career tanks out there, which dungeons did you find the most difficult to tank? I know Bray can be fun and Stone Vigil is fun for absolutely no one.

Guess I need to hit up some dungeon guides now, tanking these dungeons has taught me how little I knew about them.

I just did Stone Vigil last night and it was one of my favorite dungeons so far. I liked that I was finally taking some damage and had to pull intelligently.

I had this one random guy in my group who started making materia while the rest of us were fighting, though. And he kept attacking the mobs we weren't attacking (I was marking them the whole time).

IN end game, that is more of a gear issue and not really an issue with harder to play, though.
You gear won't matter if your DPS keeps doing stuff like not doing proper rotations, clipping DoTs, wasting auto attacks, blowing cooldowns too soon and missing positional bonuses.

People still get wiped in stuff like Garuda EX with a PF ilvl requirement of 90 because they can't kill the sisters fast enough.

stevil

Hi there,

I never played a MMORPG before (save for a 2 hours of guild wars) but for some reason I'm really curious about FF XIV.

I understood that you can easily play the game solo, and that you will be automatically form a party when needed. Is this true?

Also there doesn't seem to be a monthly fee (at least I can't find any thing about it), is this so and if not what is the fee?

And the most important question: is the story any good?

Thanks

danthefan

Hi there,

I never played a MMORPG before (save for a 2 hours of guild wars) but for some reason I'm really curious about FF XIV.

I understood that you can easily play the game solo, and that you will be automatically form a party when needed. Is this true?

Also there doesn't seem to be a monthly fee (at least I can't find any thing about it), is this so and if not what is the fee?

Thanks

There is a monthly fee. It's $13-15 per month.

To form parties there is what's called the Duty Finder that you register to and then go about your business. Once the game matches up the right classes (mix between tanks, healers and damage dealers) you will be prompted to join the dungeon, you'll be transported there automatically and you and your party can then go about the content. Once you're done you'll get transported back to where you were before.

The story is alright. Some of it is pretty boring to be honest, some of it is filler, some if it is pretty interesting.

Thanks
Quests are mostly solo, but you'll have to do a lot of instances with parties, but there's a matchmaking system to form parties automatically.

There's a monthly fee yes, $13 for the basic subscription with 1 character per server, 8 characters max. 15 for the bigger one.

The story is a pretty simple JRPG plot, but it's fun and charming IMO.

stevil

There is a monthly fee. It's $13-15 per month.

To form parties there is what's called the Duty Finder that you register to and then go about your business. Once the game matches up the right classes (mix between tanks, healers and damage dealers) you will be prompted to join the dungeon, you'll be transported there automatically and you and your party can then go about the content. Once you're done you'll get transported back to where you were before.

The story is alright. Some of it is pretty boring to be honest, some of it is filler, some if it is pretty interesting.

Quests are mostly solo, but you'll have to do a lot of instances with parties, but there's a matchmaking system to form parties automatically.

There's a monthly fee yes, $13 for the basic subscription with 1 character per server, 8 characters max. 15 for the bigger one.

Thanks!

Kssio_Aug

Yeah! Just remember a important thing:
$13 per month for 1 character per server, but differently from the others MMORPGs you wont need more then 1, since it can become every class at once.

Alucrid

Banned
No job is mechanically taxing, but the deal with endgame content is that the "playing the class the right way" threshold raises quite a bit, so do the things you need to do.

At the point you are you can get by normally by using your defensive cooldowns whenever, healers can just overheal no problem and DPS can just do whatever, but in higher content pretty much every job will need proper planning for stuff like phase shifts and preparation for certain skills. Tanks will need to save their defensive cooldowns for specific moments so they can survive big chunks of damage, healers will need to precast their heals to mitigate undodgeable AoEs, DPS will need to save their steroids for DPS check phases, etc.

DPS are probably harder than the rest because quite often if your party doesn't do enough damage - most of the time because your DPS aren't doing as much damage as they possibly can - it means you get wiped. This is even more true for the melee DPS, who at the same time have to worry about positioning and stuff like double Wicked Wheels.
So I'm not supposed to eat the double wicked wheels?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I agree with all this, I don't think stone skin is necessary for scholars at all. (Do WHMs even use it at all during battle, outside of the initial pull?) however if you are healing in a roulette or DF party people are going to get antsy if hey don't get their stone skin at the beginning. If your attitude is fuck em! Them don't bother. If you care about making other people happy you should probably get it. (Look at me! I'm making people happy!) Personally, I leveled both healing jobs to 50 like a chump.

right now it's 18% after enhance for ~100 mana. If the tank has 3K health that is a 540hp bubble. As long as I'm not starved for mana during the fight, between that and renew that tank's health stays really stable. Even better if you get over zealous DPS drawing aggro and I'm having to heal them as well. The only downside is that in theory I get fewer Freecures although I'm not sure what the ICD is on Freecure anyway.

a WHM here. If anyone has criticisms or opinions I'd love to hear them. about the only dungeon I've had a problem with right now is Bray normal... and that's simply because I go OOM with all of the Esuna's for stacks of poison. I tried curing through the poison, but when you end up with 3-4 party members with 1-2 stacks of poison each curing through that is almost as mana intensive as just using esuna,

Kssio_Aug

Well, in end game there are a lot of mechanics you have to look out for and on top a healer has to keep an eye on the health bars, remove debuffs and keep people alive while looking out for all the mechanics in the fight.
Not to mention, knowing the fight to be able to be pro-active during a fight. Generally there is much more to look out for for a healer than for any other job imo.

Tanks generally don't have to do much because they are more often than not not targeted with specific mechanics. Garuda EX is probably the only fight that is tougher on tanks then anyone else..all other fights are pretty easy as a tank.

I see! Yeah, I can imagine that endgane is another story! However it still feels to me kind a playstile thing. Not sure if tanking on endgame is anyhow simple. Not sure though, ill check it when I get there! :)

Thanks for all the explanation!

So I'm not supposed to eat the double wicked wheels?
Of course not, you're meant to drink them.
I see! Yeah, I can imagine that endgane is another story! However it still feels to me kind a playstile thing. Not sure if tanking on endgame is anyhow simple. Not sure though, ill check it when I get there! :)

Thanks for all the explanation!
Simple does not mean easy. Tanks are fairly simple most of the time, pull the boss and the rest of your party will do most of the work, but you'll need to pay attention to the boss' rotations to use your defensive cooldowns at the right moment otherwise get hit too hard for your healer to keep up.

Tash

You gear won't matter if your DPS keeps doing stuff like not doing proper rotations, clipping DoTs, wasting auto attacks, blowing cooldowns too soon and missing positional bonuses.

People still get wiped in stuff like Garuda EX with a PF ilvl requirement of 90 because they can't kill the sisters fast enough.

if you are doing end game stuff then you better know your rotations and how to play..it's not like they are super hard for any job, really..

There is still institutional awareness as a healer I have to do my rotations and preparations correct as well, have to be situation aware AND keep an eye on everyone's hps.
Neither the tanks nor dps have the additional of having to watch an additional part on your screen constantly while trying to not get into tunnel vision.

Don't get me wrong, I have played every class/job in other mmos but I always found healer more challenging because of the added awareness thing. Maybe it's just me.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
two questions.. to avoid clipping DOTs when do you refresh? after the timer disappears? after the icon disappears? I mean I guess it's whenever the last tick occurs so that's what I'm trying to find out.

also when you say wasting auto-attacks.. do you mean not auto-attacking? or by wasting time with AA?

as a healer I can tell you my biggest challenges (which some have already been covered in here). the biggest challenge is that I basically have to be looking at the party frame instead of at the battle. I've moved the party frame in a bit toward the center of the screen now so I can better keep an eye on both (46" TV) but still my vision is really focused on the party frame.

The biggest thing while working on that party frame is understanding what is going on in the game by what's happening in the party frame. debuffs? is the tank blowing his CD for mitigation? If he doesn't have his CD up am I going to need to heal through? Is someone taking an inordinate amount of damage that shouldn't be? Is it because they drew aggro or simply aren't moving out of fire? Am I drawing aggro? Is it because I'm spamming heals unnecessarily or because the tank isn't keeping up on aggro? are my buffs up and applied? and then, again, on top of all of that, oh yeah is there a big graphic on the floor telling me to move. do I have aggro on adds that I need to run to the tank to peal?

IMHO how these games have always been... if the tank has their shit down there is really not much else they can do. they really can't babysit anyone else and can't compensate for breakdowns elsewhere in the party. Healers on the other hand... when shit breaks down they basically have the chance at either watching a wipe in progress or trying to salvage the fight. Even if a healer has the fight down to a science... a sloppy tank or bad DPS can still make a healer's job really annoying in how they have to react.

Alucrid

Banned
two questions.. to avoid clipping DOTs when do you refresh? after the timer disappears? after the icon disappears? I mean I guess it's whenever the last tick occurs so that's what I'm trying to find out.

also when you say wasting auto-attacks.. do you mean not auto-attacking? or by wasting time with AA?
Entirely depends on what dots and the situation under which you're clipping them. Obviously the less clipping the better and the more uptime the better. I usually end up clipping demolish and tod either as it runs out or 1-2 seconds left.

if you are doing end game stuff then you better know your rotations and how to play..it's not like they are super hard for any job, really..

There is still institutional awareness as a healer I have to do my rotations and preparations correct as well, have to be situation aware AND keep an eye on everyone's hps.
Neither the tanks nor dps have the additional of having to watch an additional part on your screen constantly while trying to not get into tunnel vision.

Don't get me wrong, I have played every class/job in other mmos but I always found healer more challenging because of the added awareness thing. Maybe it's just me.
If only that were true lol not everyone bothers reading stuff like guides and then you get ilvl 88 DRGs - soldiery tomes ftw - in T4 that only Heavy Thrust > True Thrust combo for the entire fight, or SMNs using Ifrit Egi. Duty finderrrrrrr

I'm not saying healers are easy either since yeah you need to be aware of stuff to heal at the right times, prepare shields, precast Medica/Succor and stuff, but what I'm saying is that bad DPS will pretty much wipe you guaranteed while you can kinda survive bad healers if everyone else is good enough. Speaking of this game specifically, no idea how healers work on other games since I never played healer before this.

As long as you're not reapplying your DoTs at 4 seconds left on it or higher, you're fine. Ideally you want to time your DoTs so they go off at the exact moment you're using them again in the rotation, but missing one second or two won't hurt.

And yes, not auto attacking enough.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Man I just want to go home & lay in bed with my Vita and grind out some CNJ levels for the Unicorn & Stoneskin.... being hung over at work blows goats.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
ketsenwhy9wkf7.png

Ketsen, please stop murdering me atop your giant horse when I'm trying to get the Kindness of Strangers II, thanks in advance.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Me the same with my WAR. Sadly I will only be home in 8 hours from now!

It's physically painful to be in the office right now.

At some point we need to unleash our WAR/SCH combo on dungeons.

I'll do my dailies in 40 mins in your honor

salute.gif

Aww thank you!! I played FFXI for years, so I'm really stoked :). I'm assuming most of everyone in here is on Ultros..? Is that the server name? o_o

Yeah! Welcome aboard, b.

Bought the game just now! :D

Still at work so wont be home for another 5-6 hours :(

Hoping to see some of you there.

Once I make my character Im gonna register with the guild from Ultros :)

Hope to really enjoy this game!

SRTtoZ

Bought the game just now! :D

Still at work so wont be home for another 5-6 hours :(

Hoping to see some of you there.

Once I make my character Im gonna register with the guild from Ultros :)

Hope to really enjoy this game!

Ultros might be full but keep trying! Early in the morning and late at night are usually the best time to create a character on the locked servers.

zewone

So I was going to do WAR alt job for my DRG, but tanking just does not seem like something I'd enjoy late game.

BRD seems pretty cool. Anyone do multiple DPS alts, or is that dumb?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
So I was going to do WAR alt job for my DRG, but tanking just does not seem like something I'd enjoy late game.

My 3 primary jobs are DRG, WAR, and BRD in that order.

I enjoy the BRD for when I am using the controller or just feel like going easy-mode.
WAR is great for instant dungeon queues and MRD is my primary PVP class.

I have multiple DPS jobs so I can fill different roles within a party. You'll always want one melee DPS, one BRD and one mage in most parties, so I have one of each - still working on BLM though - so I can fill gaps.

zewone

My 3 primary jobs are DRG, WAR, and BRD in that order.

I enjoy the BRD for when I am using the controller or just feel like going easy-mode.
WAR is great for instant dungeon queues and MRD is my primary PVP class.

I have multiple DPS jobs so I can fill different roles within a party. You'll always want one melee DPS, one BRD and one mage in most parties, so I have one of each - still working on BLM though - so I can fill gaps.

Thanks guys, going to have to inform my static I'll be changing my choice for alt drops.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

In particular the writing is above average, if not fantastic in parts. Secondly, there are characters that you actually become familiar with, in both the main questline and your class questline, which is rare in an MMORPG.

Soi-Fong

Have run Crystal Tower a few times. Each run through, there's always arguments about who'll be the main tank. Gets really annoying fast and add to that, they start bringing each other's moms and things of that nature into the conversation.

Dunan

So much for me to learn:

WAR?
DRG?

Explain to the noob plz :/

These are abbreviations for Warrior and Dragoon, respectively.

There is a lot to learn, MMO-jargon-wise. I'm still struggling with it even after

Sometimes I think that the jargon is the hardest thing about learning to play an MMO.

And when you consider that FFXIV magic works entirely differently than in regular RPGs and that gameplay and jobs are also radically different (the healer/tank/damage-dealer roles are the real "jobs", not dragoon or black mage or whatever), that's saying something.

Isaccard

Have run Crystal Tower a few times. Each run through, there's always arguments about who'll be the main tank. Gets really annoying fast and add to that, they start bringing each other's moms and things of that nature into the conversation.

It's part of why CT is so fun

Welcome to endgame, where the loot is made up and echo doesn't matter.

If only that were true lol not everyone bothers reading stuff like guides and then you get ilvl 88 DRGs - soldiery tomes ftw - in T4 that only Heavy Thrust > True Thrust combo for the entire fight, or SMNs using Ifrit Egi. Duty finderrrrrrr

I'm not saying healers are easy either since yeah you need to be aware of stuff to heal at the right times, prepare shields, precast Medica/Succor and stuff, but what I'm saying is that bad DPS will pretty much wipe you guaranteed while you can kinda survive bad healers if everyone else is good enough. Speaking of this game specifically, no idea how healers work on other games since I never played healer before this.

As long as you're not reapplying your DoTs at 4 seconds left on it or higher, you're fine. Ideally you want to time your DoTs so they go off at the exact moment you're using them again in the rotation, but missing one second or two won't hurt.

And yes, not auto attacking enough.

How do you auto attack more?

On the topic of CDs, what would be the proper way to use them for a WAR? I feel I'm constantly underusing them, but then again I don't feel I need them all that much most of the time. I try to keep Foresight and Feather Feet most of the time alternatively, since I view them as small and not mattering all that much.

The big guns so to speak I tend to save for when I'm in trouble. I have a macro to fire Convalescence, Thrill of Battle, Second Wind and Blood Bath, which I fire when my health is low. I don't know if I should be continually casting these one a time to have always one up (I do have them on my hotbar individually as well as in the macro). If I do that they might be unavailable for those panic moments when the healer fails me and I'm about to die. I really don't know what the proper strategy is for this.

IvorB

Man I just want to go home & lay in bed with my Vita and grind out some CNJ levels for the Unicorn & Stoneskin.... being hung over at work blows goats.

Me the same with my WAR. Sadly I will only be home in 8 hours from now!

I finish work in approximately seven minutes. Then there's only a 30 min tube ride between me and another epic FF binge. I'll think of you guys. Truly I will. Oh damn, make that six minutes ha ha!!

Why do you even read chat in CT? That's your first mistake

How do you auto attack more?

On the topic of CDs, what would be the proper way to use them for a WAR? I feel I'm constantly underusing them, but then again I don't feel I need them all that much most of the time. I try to keep Foresight and Feather Feet most of the time alternatively, since I view them as small and not mattering all that much.

The big guns so to speak I tend to save for when I'm in trouble. I have a macro to fire Convalescence, Thrill of Battle, Second Wind and Blood Bath, which I fire when my health is low. I don't know if I should be continually casting these one a time to have always one up (I do have them on my hotbar individually as well as in the macro). If I do that they might be unavailable for those panic moments when the healer fails me and I'm about to die. I really don't know what the proper strategy is for this.
Just gotta make sure you're in range and facing the right way, I see a lot of BRDs using legacy movement that don't bother trying to keep aiming for auto attacks.

As for CDs, it depends on the encounter. Take Twintania for example, WARs will want to save Vengance for the moment something like Death Sentence is about to hit. Same goes for Titan HM, you'll want to save your bigger stuff for when he's about to use Mountain Buster. You want to save them for when you'll actually need them and not just because they are up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom