• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number45

How do you auto attack more?
I assume this means the melee auto-attack when you're a ranged caster?

The big guns so to speak I tend to save for when I'm in trouble. I have a macro to fire Convalescence, Thrill of Battle, Second Wind and Blood Bath, which I fire when my health is low. I don't know if I should be continually casting these one a time to have always one up (I do have them on my hotbar individually as well as in the macro). If I do that they might be unavailable for those panic moments when the healer fails me and I'm about to die. I really don't know what the proper strategy is for this.
I haven't gotten around to macroing these together yet (on that note, does the macro fire them all off on one press or do you need a press for each action?), but I use bloodbath pretty much on cooldown unless there's a specific reason to save it.

Thrill of Battle I fire when it looks like I might die before enough heals come my way, or if it might keep me up just long enough to down the mob.

Oni3298

Hey all, fairly new to the game although I had a short stint playing it back in version 1.0.

Took the plunge and bought the game on PS4 a little less than a month ago and have been playing almost everyday I could since. I'm maining a DRG, currently at lvl 43 and I'm looking to join an FC, so what better than the official GAF FC on Ultros. I'm aware that the FC is reaching its member limit (assuming it hasn't already) but I submitted an application through the site mentioned in the OP anyways in case there's room. Seems like there's a pretty neat community being built up here and I'm looking forward to (hopefully) be a part of it!

XenoRaven

How do you auto attack more?

On the topic of CDs, what would be the proper way to use them for a WAR? I feel I'm constantly underusing them, but then again I don't feel I need them all that much most of the time. I try to keep Foresight and Feather Feet most of the time alternatively, since I view them as small and not mattering all that much.

The big guns so to speak I tend to save for when I'm in trouble. I have a macro to fire Convalescence, Thrill of Battle, Second Wind and Blood Bath, which I fire when my health is low. I don't know if I should be continually casting these one a time to have always one up (I do have them on my hotbar individually as well as in the macro). If I do that they might be unavailable for those panic moments when the healer fails me and I'm about to die. I really don't know what the proper strategy is for this.
I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but I've tanked nearly everything in the game up to T7 as WAR and I would say that you're probably not underusing CDs. The main objective for WAR is to know when big damage is coming and making sure you're Infuriated so you can mitigate the damage with Inner Beast. For example, I always make sure to Inner Beast right before a Mountain Buster in Titan EX.

Barring that, I use CDs to mitigate damage when I anticipate that just Inner Beast might not be enough. Either I'm not getting heals faster enough, a healer goes down, I'm about to take a big chunk of damage and I'm not at full health, etc. An example here would be in Leviathan EX. While PLD usually gets blue spumes, you might have to get them yourself. I typically grab them, then hit Vengeance then Inner Beast on Leviathan right before they explode. You get huge damage mitigation this way and you're not in danger of getting killed by Levi's next attack after the spumes explode.

Your CDs are there to keep you alive, so I like to keep them on deck. The only ones I really rotate in even if I don't necessarily need them are Foresight and Bloodbath, since they both come back pretty fast. It's hard to give specific advice for this because CDs are entirely situational. As long as you're staying alive and your healers aren't running out of MP, you're probably doing an OK job.

I assume this means the melee auto-attack when you're a ranged caster?

I haven't gotten around to macroing these together yet (on that note, does the macro fire them all off on one press or do you need a press for each action?), but I use bloodbath pretty much on cooldown unless there's a specific reason to save it.

Thrill of Battle I fire when it looks like I might die before enough heals come my way, or if it might keep me up just long enough to down the mob.

Depends on how you write the macro. If you just write the 4 skills it will only fire the first available one, so you'll need to mash the button 4 times to get them all out. That's fine for the playstyle of some people. If you put a wait between the skills then they'll fire sequentially, but it's very risky since if you press the button more than once the macro goes back to the beginning and the latter skills might not fire ever (and in a heated battle you'll probably end up pressing it more than once).

I found a guide online that suggested using a mix of both approaches. Putting all the skills you want to fire in order then a wait command then all the skills again and so on. The 15 line limitation is a little annoying for this, but you can get it to work reasonably well with up to 4 skills.

Now I get you. I thought you meant just the standard weapon attack.
Nah, I was talking specifically physical DPS. Casters shouldn't worry with that, not worth it.

But now that you mention it, yeah most BLMs don't use Scathe enough. Being able to use it while dodging stuff is pretty neat.

Mr.Fresh

I haven't played since last year and I'm just getting back into it and I'm sooooo lost. What's the best place to get info? I play all types of single player RPGS, but this is my first MMO. I just found out I had Mage gear on my archer -_-

Kssio_Aug

I haven't played since last year and I'm just getting back into it and I'm sooooo lost. What's the best place to get info? I play all types of single player RPGS, but this is my first MMO. I just found out I had Mage gear on my archer -_-

The game itself teach a lot if you read some hints. But any specific doubt you could ask here or in the GAF FC, or look into the wikis (the 1st page have a list of good wikis you can use).

The gear when you select it will show wich class can use, but look for gear that gives you DEX since youre using an archer. Also, I believe its safe to say that you can allocate all your points in DEX to when you level up (you will be able to start allocating them at level 10).

Teknoman

Let me join you!

(Seriously. I've got pretty much the entire fight down, I just need to find a capable party. Tired of this stupid rock wall.)

Also, I don't why I wasn't expecting Ramuh so soon...but yay!

I've sorta got it down myself, just felt I needed to up my equip a little.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Let me join you!

(Seriously. I've got pretty much the entire fight down, I just need to find a capable party. Tired of this stupid rock wall.)

Also, I don't why I wasn't expecting Ramuh so soon...but yay!

They want to add a new primal with every major patch.

XenoRaven

Question for SCHs.

Do you spam Ruin or Ruin II for DPS? I'm wondering if the added MP cost and cast frequency is an issue for SCH or if you have enough MP to spam Ruin II and still effectively heal.

Question for SCHs.

Do you spam Ruin or Ruin II for DPS? I'm wondering if the added MP cost and cast frequency is an issue for SCH or if you have enough MP to spam Ruin II and still effectively heal.

I primarily use II. Never had much problem with its MP usage. I also very much hate cast times. Ruin I will be more efficient for most.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
But now that you mention it, yeah most BLMs don't use Scathe enough. Being able to use it while dodging stuff is pretty neat.
this is the main reason fire mage's dominated wow damage meters during cata era.. everything that required movement only negated one of our spells.

Wilsongt

Question for SCHs.

Why would you use Ruin II over Ruin I unless you are actively moving? The only additional effect it adds is blind, but you shouldn't need to cast it over and over again. SCH don't run into MP problems at all, so that's not an issue. They have the same potency, though.

Edit: Also, now that I did an appropriately leveled dungeon last night that was closer to my BLM's level, I really enjoy the class. I kept using DR to find a dungeon to run for the bonus exp and it keeps dropping me into low level dungeons where a lot of my options are really only Thunder II/Fire/Blizzard/Blizzard II/Scathe/Sleep and didn't have access to Thundergod or Firestarter. With those abilities, it becomes a lot more interesting to play, especially when you can scathe as you dodge AoEs and use lethargy to slow down some enemies.

Aeana

Question for SCHs.

There's no reason to cast ruin 2 unless you're moving. It's not even faster due to the global cooldown.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
That's a lot of myth for a Boarskin Map to give me... DAMN!
P9ByJnx.jpg

Oh good. Another primal for me to suck at for a week, curse the game, somehow eventually beat it, realize it's casual, and then finally tell everyone it's casual.

Given their treatment of Leviathan... I am somewhat doubting that. They don't want to create another barrier like Titan is/was.

Levi seemed annoyingly difficult at first, but once somebody explained the best way to "dodge" and I got a grasp on it (ie, pointing camera at where Levi jumps and then rotating from there + listening to audio to know where sprout will pop, and later just getting better situational awareness to know if I didn't see a sprout, it was in a blind spot and to move out of that area) AND learned to stop worrying so much about the stupid healing debuff, the battle is a joke for healers. Mog EX is also really easy (though it also seemed hard at first), though that battle really requires a solid team more so than Levi (only a few people really need to be on point in Levi EX I think since I've seen way more "farm" groups in Levi EX where a person gets the first time clear achievement when we win...). All of the battles seemed hard at first, but all of them eventually became very manageable and you could pick up the slack for 1, maybe 2 inexperienced members so long as they weren't crucial to the battle (ie tanks in Garuda, heals in Ifrit, PLD in Levi). But Titan, heh. There's a reason I know that battle as well as I do. Weeks...weeks of doing that battle to drill it into my head because it literally is a glorified memory check to see how much you can remember under stress while executing your role. However, once you get over that hurdle, Titan EX is also casual. It's just a much higher hill to climb than any of the other bosses I've encountered so far (though we'll see about Rafflesia
and the rest of Second Coil...so far after one day of T6 attempts I feel like the most inexperienced healer in the game).
Let me join you!

I'll come heal Titan EX for you. I have all the primal weapons in preparation for the supposed upgrade for them at some point, but I don't want to get rusty at the EX Primal battles by skipping them for too long. I would like to do each once a week still until most people are in i110-i120 range, at which point as long as you can dodge the LS that battle will be a joke. There won't be a serious need to have the entire battle memorized inside out at that point and you can make a few mistakes and still win.

Scholar here.. is having stoneskin really necessary? I don't really feel like leveling whm to 34

In dungeons, if it's not SR mode, I always use SS. In fact, I rarely use cure outside of boss battles in dungeons. I keep SS up on tank at all times + regen. At this point, SS stays up long enough that I recoup the cost of it (plus what I spent on regen) and it keeps tank near topped off or above 60-70%hp at all times. Compared to strictly using Cure I (and sometimes Cure II), I feel like I'm casting less and using overall less MP and it keeps my MP higher overall. Obviously, if the group isn't as good I throw in Cures.

If it's a large pull where SS will be knocked off quickly, I don't bother with SS. However, before any pull, I want SS up on tank (and usually entire party). You aren't in combat and will recoup the mp usually by the time you pull and you're increasing your chance of casting less and saving mp while in combat. Of course, this might not be the most effective way as I've not sat down and number crunched.

But yea, you just have to adapt to the situation and there are always variations.I could just cast SS + Regen and sit back and watch the DPS and tank do their thing, Or if it is not going as smoothly, I throw in occasional cures. If we're being more aggressive, I'll go cleric stance and help DPS, too. Like for speedruns, I go by the mechanics that dictate the fastest completion balanced with considering the group makeup to tweak my tactics to ensure we don't wipe. It's just knowing what you can do with what you have and being able to call upon what you need quickly in reaction to what's going on. This is especially true when you get to the harder battles and coil turns.

borghe

In dungeons, if it's not SR mode, I always use SS. In fact, I rarely use cure outside of boss battles in dungeons. I keep SS up on tank at all times + regen. At this point, SS stays up long enough that I recoup the cost of it (plus what I spent on regen) and it keeps tank near topped off or above 60-70%hp at all times. Compared to strictly using Cure I (and sometimes Cure II), I feel like I'm casting less and using overall less MP and it keeps my MP higher overall. Obviously, if the group isn't as good I throw in Cures.

If it's a large pull where SS will be knocked off quickly, I don't bother with SS. However, before any pull, I want SS up on tank (and usually entire party). You aren't in combat and will recoup the mp usually by the time you pull and you're increasing your chance of casting less and saving mp while in combat. Of course, this might not be the most effective way as I've not sat down and number crunched.

But yea, you just have to adapt to the situation and there are always variations.I could just cast SS + Regen and sit back and watch the DPS and tank do their thing, Or if it is not going as smoothly, I throw in occasional cures. If we're being more aggressive, I'll go cleric stance and help DPS, too. Like for speedruns, I go by the mechanics that dictate the fastest completion balanced with considering the group makeup to tweak my tactics to ensure we don't wipe. It's just knowing what you can do with what you have and being able to call upon what you need quickly in reaction to what's going on. This is especially true when you get to the harder battles and coil turns.

are you SCH or WHM? Your use of it sounds exactly like how I run my WHM. About the biggest annoyance/lameness of doing what you're saying is I lose out on x number of procs of Freecure.

are you SCH or WHM? Your use of it sounds exactly like how I run my WHM. About the biggest annoyance/lameness of doing what you're saying is I lose out on x number of procs of Freecure.

Regen as far as I know is a WHM only spell, so WHM. Sorry I didn't clarify that. I only care about Freecures in high frequency healing situations, ie giant pulls for speedruns, or keeping up a member who is going to eat a ton of damage, ie healing MT on Dreadnauts in T4 (pre-echo) or Ifrit EX. However, I don't actively rely on Freecures and have never been in a reasonably winnable situation where the difference between winning and losing was mostly determined by getting a Freecure proc. I feel knowing when to use Shroud and when to real in the casting a bit (ie, selectively healing what needs to be healed and what could be healed but will likely recover without any intervention) are a more important part of MP management for me as a WHM.

so lets, talk about Macros here for a second.

I been really getting into macros a lot lately and im trying to find a master list will all the commands that can be used in macro scripts.

I found a list when I hit google, but that list doesnt include all the possible macro commands.

What I would like to know if there is a crossbar subcommand and also any situational commands(/health<50% "command name")

or just any other commands that not commonly known as far as use for combat.

I'm trying to set up a macro, where a action will activate after another action, like a priority macro with multiple action in a single macro, but the second action activates, ONLY if the previous action was successfully activated. So if the first action doesnt activate, then the second won't either even if the conditions exist for the second action to activate successfully.

I'm not sure what commands exist for something complex like that in this macro system.

dramatis

What I would like to know if there is a crossbar subcommand and also any situational commands(/health<50% "command name")

or just any other commands that not commonly known as far as use for combat.

I'm trying to set up a macro, where a action will activate after another action, like a priority macro with multiple action in a single macro, but the second action activates, ONLY if the previous action was successfully activated. So if the first action doesnt activate, then the second won't either even if the conditions exist for the second action to activate successfully.

I'm not sure what commands exist for something complex like that in this macro system.
What do you mean by crossbar subcommand and No is the answer to the rest of your questions. If you could set up macros like that who would even bother being a good player. There are no 'situational commands', the idea is that the player will react to the situation...

WolvenOne

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if at least one Trial turned out to be a barrier to a lot of players in 2.3.

In 2.2, there were only four trials added, and two of them were story mode trials so they don't really count. With Second Coil already being an intentional barrier to players, they had to make the remaining content repeatable for less skilled players, or else they'd have very little to do between 2.2 and 2.3.

With 2.3, any new trials they add are going to be a lot closer to being the centerpiece of the patch. So it's quite likely they won't want people blowing past them as quickly as they did Leviathan.

That said, they probably will try to avoid another Titan Ex situation, and make future trials at least a, "little," more recoverable then that.

Jayhawk

There is no are no mechanisms in macros for selection and repetition like if statements or for loops. If you want to get fancy with things like that, you'd have to violate the game's terms of service and use a 3rd party tool.

borghe

biggest (likely intentional) limitation of LUA implementations has always been that you can't string most commands/abilities/spells/actions/whatever together. You can have macros contain tons of LUA commands, but in-game commands you are almost universally limited to one or possibly a couple of unrelated ones but even that is rare.

the closest I've ever seen to multiple commands in a LUA macro is the fail through method

heal target
heal target's target
heal self

which would end at the first success.

Hi everyone i have a small question :
i'm planning to use macros in order to streamline some thing and be prepared for some challenges ahead ... is there a guide for macros you guys recommand ? The active help hasn't been usefull about macros I think that i should probably use it but i have no idea what commands i should use in them , what is available and when ( what order ) ..

So my question is simple HOW DO I MACRO ? ( in ff14 arr ) ?
I'm not looking at an full explanation in particular , just at a "getting started" exemple or the full list of commandq ..well something so i could at least try and experiment.

Thanks

jiggle

i'm planning to use macros in order to streamline some thing and be prepared for some challenges ahead ... is there a guide for macros you guys recommand ? The active help hasn't been usefull about macro instead that i should probably use it but i have no idea what command i should use in them , what is available and when ( what order ) ..

I'm not looking at an full explanation in particular , just at a "getting started" exemple or the full list of commandq ..well something so i could at least try and experiment.

Thanks
For abilities
/ac "_ability name_" <t> or <me>

So if u make a buff macro
It'd be like

/ac "Blood for blood" <me>
/ac "Raging strike"<me>
/ac "Internal release" <me>
etc

Or for quick raise
/ac "Swiftcast" <me>
/ac "Raise"<t>

With every press of a button you will activate the next available skill
The order matters for jobs like monk and bard and fishing
You'll want to put the skill that only activates under certain condition first
So for fishing
/ac "Mooch"
/ac "Hook"
/ac "Cast"

Skills that share the same cool down will need an additional line between them
/wait 2.56 (or something)
the macro will activate the string of skills in order with one press of a button

Ken

i'm planning to use macros in order to streamline some thing and be prepared for some challenges ahead ... is there a guide for macros you guys recommand ? The active help hasn't been usefull about macro instead that i should probably use it but i have no idea what command i should use in them , what is available and when ( what order ) ..

Thanks

the most common commands you'll use are

/ac
/p
/wait

/ac = Perform a certain action you list after /ac. So if you wanted to do a one word skill like Fracture you'd put:

/ac Fracture

For two word skills you'd put the skill in parentheses like so:

/ac "Super Fracture"

For applicable skills you can also indicate a target by including things like <t>, <tt>, <me>, <1>, <2>, etc., although these tend to be used with healer abilities more than anything else. If you can't figure it out, <t> means current target, <tt> means target of my target, <me> means own character, and <1>, <2> and so on means party member 1, 2, and so on.

/p will have you say something in party chat when the macro is pushed. This is usually to let the party know you did something important like you silenced, Fractured, resurrected, debuffed, buffed, or Fractured a target.

/wait quite simply puts a specified delay in seconds until the next line in action. You can add numbers like /wait 3 for it to wait 3 seconds. It will round up though so you can't do sneaky things like /wait 2.5 and create a really long tank rotation macro and walk away for half a minute for efficiency. More importantly, putting /wait in between a /ac and a /p prevents the /p from getting spammeed everytime you hit the macro; it'll only fire off the /p once you stop spamming. It keeps the party chat clean and won't make the rest of your group hate you especially if you add a sound effect to the macro (<se.1><se.2>, and so on).

So let's say we put it all together and make a silence macro for a bard that uses our silence on a target (obviously), while letting the party know through audio and text. Oh and let's give it a pretty icon using /micon "Skill" which gives the macro that ability's macro.

/micon Fracture
/ac "Blunt Arrow" <t>
/wait
/p Silencing <t>, Blunt Arrow used. <se.1>

That's a pretty common type of macro that can also be used for raises.

I hope that helps. If it doesn't, too bad.

For abilities
/ac "_ability name_" <t> or <me>

So if u make a buff macro
It'd be like

/ac "Blood for blood" <me>
/ac "Raging strike"<me>
/ac "Internal release" <me>
etc

Or for quick raise
/ac "Swiftcast" <me>
/ac "Raise"<t>

With every press of a button you will activate the next available skill
The order matters for jobs like monk and bard and fishing
You'll want to put the skill that only activates under certain condition first
So for fishing
/ac "Mooch"
/ac "Hook"
/ac "Cast"

Skills that share the same cool down will need an additional line between them
/wait 2.56 (or something)
the macro will activate the string of skills in order with one press of a button

the most common commands you'll use are

/ac
/p
/wait

/ac = Perform a certain action you list after /ac. So if you wanted to do a one word skill like Fracture you'd put:

/ac Fracture

For two word skills you'd put the skill in parentheses like so:

/ac "Super Fracture"

For applicable skills you can also indicate a target by including things like <t>, <tt>, <me>, <1>, <2>, etc., although these tend to be used with healer abilities more than anything else. If you can't figure it out, <t> means current target, <tt> means target of my target, <me> means own character, and <1>, <2> and so on means party member 1, 2, and so on.

/p will have you say something in party chat when the macro is pushed. This is usually to let the party know you did something important like you silenced, Fractured, resurrected, debuffed, buffed, or Fractured a target.

/wait quite simply puts a specified delay in seconds until the next line in action. You can add numbers like /wait 3 for it to wait 3 seconds. It will round up though so you can't do sneaky things like /wait 2.5 and create a really long tank rotation macro and walk away for half a minute for efficiency. More importantly, putting /wait in between a /ac and a /p prevents the /p from getting spammeed everytime you hit the macro; it'll only fire off the /p once you stop spamming. It keeps the party chat clean and won't make the rest of your group hate you especially if you add a sound effect to the macro (<se.1><se.2>, and so on).

So let's say we put it all together and make a silence macro for a bard that uses our silence on a target (obviously), while letting the party know through audio and text. Oh and let's give it a pretty icon using /micon "Skill" which gives the macro that ability's macro.

/micon Fracture
/ac "Blunt Arrow" <t>
/wait
/p Silencing <t>, Blunt Arrow used. <se.1>

That's a pretty common type of macro that can also be used for raises.

I hope that helps. If it doesn't, too bad.

Thanks for those quick answers , i can definitly start with that .

XenoRaven

For some reason I thought the recast time on Ruin made it so that you had to wait 5 seconds (2.5 cast, 2.5 recast) between Ruins. But in practice that is obviously not the case which means I am stupid.

WolvenOne

I actually still run CT from time to time, namely when I'm bored and I don't feel like tackling more difficult content. Obviously not every run is great, but most of the recent runs I've run have been, decent enough.

Been having more issues with fresh 50's biting off more then they could chew, than anything else.

suzu

I have dumb macros like this:

/macroicon "Summon"
/ac "Summon" <me>
/wait 7
/joy motion

If you want to announce to the party what you're casting:

/macroicon "Resurrection"
/ac "Resurrection" <t>
/wait
/p Resurrection >>> <t> <se.14>

<se.1> <se.2> <se.3> and so on = sound effects that everybody in your party will hear. Don't abuse it~

btkadams

I have dumb macros like this:

/macroicon "Summon"
/ac "Summon" <me>
/wait 7
/joy motion

If you want to announce to the party what you're casting:

/macroicon "Resurrection"
/ac "Resurrection" <t>
/wait
/p Resurrection >>> <t> <se.14>

<se.1> <se.2> <se.3> and so on = sound effects that everybody in your party will hear. Don't abuse it~
Does the macroicon command change the hotbar icon of the macro to any icon you like? I didn't know you could set the macro icon... Your answer has the power to make my day.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Does the macroicon command change the hotbar icon of the macro to any icon you like? I didn't know you could set the macro icon... Your answer has the power to make my day.

Yes.
I use the Macroicon to watch the cooldown of specific skills.

suzu

I think as long as you have the ability/skill in the macro, then you can use that specific icon. It will show the cooldown as well.

DJIzana

I thought the Golden Saucer was 2.3?

The only real major peace of content, that I see as being noteworthy this patch, is 1 new dungeon and the Ramuh primal fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom