• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

danthefan

Question for anyone playing on a US account in the EU - I understand the PC version is region locked or something?

I have it on PS4 but thinking of buying for PC too, just want to make sure the PC version I get will be compatible with my SE account.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Question for anyone playing on a US account in the EU - I understand the PC version is region locked or something?

I have it on PS4 but thinking of buying for PC too, just want to make sure the PC version I get will be compatible with my SE account.

Using my US account in the EU no problem. PC user. I bought a US PC key, though, if there are US and EU keys. Not sure. Either way, no issues here. Everything about my set up is US, except for me actually being in the EU.

hank_tree

If you have a US Square Enix account you will need to get a US PC code.

So gave coil 5 a shot yesterday with a learning group. We did ... ok, but I was happy with the progress we made at the end. After hearing horror stories about it, it totally seemed doable. I love how hard and how precise some of the later battles are, it's totally up my ally.

Now here's a question. How serious are these statics I keep hearing about? I would love to do one, but I'm not quite sure I have the consistent schedule that some of these people want. Are there certain expectations across the board? Or do they vary? It sounds like there's some dungeons later on you can only do once a week or something? How does that work?

So gave coil 5 a shot yesterday with a learning group. We did ... ok, but I was happy with the progress we made at the end. After hearing horror stories about it, it totally seemed doable. I love how hard and how precise some of the later battles are, it's totally up my ally.

Now here's a question. How serious are these statics I keep hearing about? I would love to do one, but I'm not quite sure I have the consistent schedule that some of these people want. Are there certain expectations across the board? Or do they vary? It sounds like there's some dungeons later on you can only do once a week or something? How does that work?
Coil used to have a weekly lockout, meaning you could only clear each turn once a week. Now that new content is up, that lockout moved on to the Second Coil.

As for statics, it depends on the static, really. You can get anything from more friendly, casual statics that just want to clear content together and will just make a PUG if someone can't come and the hardcore pricks that will curse your descendants for generations if you as much get hit by an AoE once.

After hearing horror stories about it, it totally seemed doable.
Those horror stories are from the time people didn't have easy access to iLv90+, the fight wasn't nerfed, the battlefield wasn't simplified and the echo didn't exist.

The horror stories have moved to the second coil now.

Alucrid

Banned
Those horror stories are from the time people didn't have easy access to iLv90+, the fight wasn't nerfed, the battlefield wasn't simplified and the echo didn't exist.

And pretty much all of us don't even have to deal with the really shifty twisters

That said I'm pretty sure our coil 2 progression is way faster than 1

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
O_O Jesus!

They have a monthly subscription and they charge you 18 bucks for world transfer?

They should throw you a few free world transfers when you buy the game.

they do it to discourage gil sellers / farmers - making easy money on a server with a different economy, jump ship and sell it on another.

the monthly sub doesn't really hurt, as they keep pumping out more content all the time.

danthefan

Bought the PC license to go along with PS4. I am pretty damn pleased I have to say.

I love the way you can switch between machines. This game is amazing.

Khatoz

And pretty much all of us don't even have to deal with the really shifty twisters

That said I'm pretty sure our coil 2 progression is way faster than 1

I feel it having almost the same difficulty as coil 1, its simply that we have more stable gear base line (unlike launch, when some had DL gear and others ak gear.. damn you hopelite tabard D: ) and better team work than when we started coil when the game came out (like now we know we need a soothing voice calling everything so we don't derp as much)

Also there isn't any cockblocking spells in turn 9, unlike the pre nerf twisters from twin.

Wilsongt

I finally got my second zenith weapon: Thyrus. Now I can switch between smn and whm depending on the need of groups. Only ilv83, though, so will need to do some coils.

A week ago i would have said that the community for this game was really great. A week ago, though, i was level 30ish. Now that i'm 50 people are massive assholes.

Like last night i got called an idiot because I destroyed the fruits in the vale before they hatched. All because 2 of the players wanted the measly exp from the spawn...

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I was just about to post about how I've stopped displaying the parameter bar, because with all the party play, you get used to seeing your HP/MP in the party list instead. You've got the hotbar in the exact same position mine is in.

My HUD Layout/UI is like this:
soxqY2Q.jpg

Did 6 Turn 4 with a PUG

Healers R' Us everywhere in that bitch
Only 1 piece of the 12 allotted were different than healing, Fending Bracelet
Everything else was Healer drops
Bracelet, Body, Belt (this fucking thing was consistent)

Wilsongt

A week ago i would have said that the community for this game was really great. A week ago, though, i was level 30ish. Now that i'm 50 people are massive assholes.

Like last night i got called an idiot because I destroyed the fruits in the vale before they hatched. All because 2 of the players wanted the measly exp from the spawn...

People have no home training.

GraveRobberX

DAT 483 XP * 8 would have given that MASSIVE Push they needed to level up
I mean it's not like XP is given away in this game in so many ways *Cough*Challenge Log*Cough*
You have to seep it where ever you can!
Being Sarcastic here

XenoRaven

I ran with a WAR in Sastasha who got mad because a PGL ran ahead and pulled mobs. So he told me to just let him die. I healed him anyway so the WAR ran ahead and grabbed like ten more mobs and brought them back to try and wipe everyone and I still healed through it because it's fucking Sastasha.

You see this kind of thing a lot before endgame. People forget that there are people out there who are leveling their first job. Some of those people might not even understand how MMOs work. But people don't have even a second of patience for inexperience, despite the fact that they were once inexperienced.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Turn 5 pre-snake nerf/divebomb icon change and echo was definitely a pretty big challenge. Took our group a few weeks of consistent attempts to get it down originally. Nowadays you can mess up quite a bit in there and still beat it with a few minutes before enrage and bringing in new people doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

Rflagg

So I am kind of thinking about getting this mostly due to what Kagari has been saying about it in other final fantasy or square enix threads, anyways I hope no one minds, but I have a few questions.

I downloaded the benchmark and ran it how close to the graphics does this look when playing and how good of a job does it do of showing what your computer will run the game at?

How easy is it to be a healer in the game, if it helps I have very causal raid interest mostly just enjoy group dungeon stuff.
To be fair I am interested if I can get into a laid back guild that does some raiding now and then. I mostly enjoy healing, but am open to dps if they are fairly in demand.

Is this fairly causal friendly?
I do a bad job of limiting my time for the most part when I get a new mmorpg and then burn myself out for a long while afterwords, and I hope to change this bad habit with ff14.

How solo friendly is this?
I am of the old school where I actually enjoy most things requiring groups, because to me this is where games like this shine in pug or even better guild groups.I wouldn't mind if it is 100% solo friendly if I can get into a guild that does group stuff.

Is it too late too jump in?

Sorry if this is question overload, but I am really going back and forth on if I should get this.

suzu

OK, so couldnt join Ultros. Not sure when I will be able to. :(

Hopefully, one day I will transfer to Ultros and join the Guild :/

It says exactly what times they will open/close character creation for servers in the link in the op.

Finally a Level 50 Monk/Pugilist. Got the Monk gear and a new Pugilist weapon courtesy of my Maelstrom rank.

Regarding the acquisition of item level 50 and above stuff: since I haven't finished the main story yet
last story quest I completed reunited Biggs and Weiss with Cid
, will I able to get such items by continuing the main story, or will I only get them via those card things? Cause I saw only item level 90 and 100 stuff and the only way I know to get the cards at the moment are from completing beast tribe quests (and I guess The Wanderer's Palace dungeon which I did complete)

If you're talking about allagan tomestones of mythology and soldiery: you get the bulk of it by killing bosses in high level dungeons/raids/trials and the random duty finder roulettes.

- Here's a guide for a fresh lvl 50.
- And a list of things you can unlock.

GraveRobberX

I feel really bad killing these guys
There eggs are needed for my La Noscean Toast =/

uCgDDp5l.jpg

VOi68SVl.jpg

It looks like they go take a nap from flinging all the fish
83Ei0k6l.jpg

Riposte

I feel really bad killing these guys
There eggs are needed for my La Noscean Toast =/

http://i.imgur.com/uCgDDp5l.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/VOi68SVl.jpg[IMG]

It looks like they go take a nap from flinging all the fish
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/83Ei0k6l.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

If you were playing FFXI, you'd feel worse, but for an entirely different reason.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Well, I finally caved and resubbed to this. I was kicked out of the Ultros FC because of inactivity, though. Any chance I could get back in? ;D

And the patcher is being an asinine piece of crap. "Unable to patch" it says. It will download about 30 MB worth of data and then give me that message. If I do it little by little, I can probably get the whole patch, but that seems very.... very, tedious.

Soi-Fong

Just wondering, as a WHM should I just skip the relic weapon quest and go for the Omnirod from getting the three Rowena letters from the Primal hard bosses?

Aeana

Just wondering, as a WHM should I just skip the relic weapon quest and go for the Omnirod from getting the three Rowena letters from the Primal hard bosses?
No. The Thyrus Zenith is better than the Omnirod. Your stat priority as a WHM is mind > determination > piety >>>>>> anything else.

XenoRaven

So I am kind of thinking about getting this mostly due to what Kagari has been saying about it in other final fantasy or square enix threads, anyways I hope no one minds, but I have a few questions.

I downloaded the benchmark and ran it how close to the graphics does this look when playing and how good of a job does it do of showing what your computer will run the game at?

How easy is it to be a healer in the game, if it helps I have very causal raid interest mostly just enjoy group dungeon stuff.
To be fair I am interested if I can get into a laid back guild that does some raiding now and then. I mostly enjoy healing, but am open to dps if they are fairly in demand.

Is this fairly causal friendly?
I do a bad job of limiting my time for the most part when I get a new mmorpg and then burn myself out for a long while afterwords, and I hope to change this bad habit with ff14.

How solo friendly is this?
I am of the old school where I actually enjoy most things requiring groups, because to me this is where games like this shine in pug or even better guild groups.I wouldn't mind if it is 100% solo friendly if I can get into a guild that does group stuff.

Is it too late too jump in?

Sorry if this is question overload, but I am really going back and forth on if I should get this.
No idea about the benchmark.

Yes, it is easy to solo. There are a lot of ways to get exp that don't involve partying up. Although it is easier to get more exp if you mix in soloing with dungeons.

I can't really say whether or not the game is casual friendly. I think it is, but I have limited experience with end game in MMOs. Basically, the idea behind the game is to introduce new and more difficult end game content, while at the same time making the "old" end game content easier and more accessible to those who haven't cleared it. For example, the old end game content was the Binding Coil of Bahamut turns 1-5. Once you cleared a turn, you could not do that turn again for the rest of the week, which leads to people forming static groups that tackle that content weekly. Recently, they introduced the Second Coil of Bahamut turns 1-4, which follows the same rule. At the same time, they released the weekly lock on the Binding Coil and also added a 20% buff to all character stats whenever entering the Binding Coil. This way, people that found Binding Coil too difficult or didn't want to bother having a static group with scheduled raid times can now do that content.

Hope that helps.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
No idea about the benchmark.

Yes, it is easy to solo. There are a lot of ways to get exp that don't involve partying up. Although it is easier to get more exp if you mix in soloing with dungeons.

I can't really say whether or not the game is casual friendly. I think it is, but I have limited experience with end game in MMOs. Basically, the idea behind the game is to introduce new and more difficult end game content, while at the same time making the "old" end game content easier and more accessible to those who haven't cleared it. For example, the old end game content was the Binding Coil of Bahamut turns 1-5. Once you cleared a turn, you could not do that turn again for the rest of the week, which leads to people forming static groups that tackle that content weekly. Recently, they introduced the Second Coil of Bahamut turns 1-4, which follows the same rule. At the same time, they released the weekly lock on the Binding Coil and also added a 20% buff to all character stats whenever entering the Binding Coil. This way, people that found Binding Coil too difficult or didn't want to bother having a static group with scheduled raid times can now do that content.

Hope that helps.

Only this is a lie and even with a coordinated group we went at Turn 5 for 2 hours and only managed to consistently get ourselves to Divebomb/Snake phase. The only thing that will be able to get pugs through top tier content is checkpoints.
Edit: It's not horror now, sure, but there's still things that will get a group boned in a jiffy unless they're really going in sync.

I ran AV for my Zodiac Book like 2 weeks ago and I did that. The two DPS were getting angry and I just said I was here to clear this quickly for my book and that their pittiful DPS queue wait paled in comparison to the grind that is Atma and 1500 myth x 9 books = a lot of Bray HM. As I was heals they had to shut up and run it since nobody queues for an in progress AV. If you want to grind AV make a first room group.

Done Cutter's Cry again to clear my hunting log for my Grand Company... finished with 1 sand bat still needed. Jesus baloney, I need to do the whole thing again for one sand bat.

Anyone around tonight willing to do some T4 runs? I'm really trying to get my WHM cloak and have not seen it drop once in over 20 runs. Sad week.

Hey guys, quick question. Newegg has the game on sale for $14.99. If I buy the digital download through them, would I be able to activate the code through Steam?

lordxar

Saw Odin for the first time, well participated in. Never actually saw him through all the spells. Kind of a meh experience actually. It was impressive to see a hundred people blasting on him but died several times and ended up only getting a couple gill and like 20 GC seals. Cool to see but will not be going out of my way to do that again.

supergiz

My HUD Layout/UI is like this:
soxqY2Q.jpg

Did 6 Turn 4 with a PUG

Healers R' Us everywhere in that bitch
Only 1 piece of the 12 allotted were different than healing, Fending Bracelet
Everything else was Healer drops
Bracelet, Body, Belt (this fucking thing was consistent)

Grave, let me know next time you do that. looking to pug as well for turn 6

Ok GAF, help me out here. I am a healer in low level Tam Tara and the tank is marking guys 1, 2, 3, no problem. It's easy, and we're coasting through. I'm fluid pushing the 3's out to make it easier on the guys in the trenches to only have to go up against 2 instead of 3 or 4 guys. Mind you I never catch the aggro from that. Once the stun is done, the 3s go back to battle the tank. Tank gets pissed off and boots me from the party. Am I crazy for thinking he's a mega douche?

Just got a really weird typing glitch.

For some reason, the game started spamming the = sign endlessly. If I hit enter to say it, it would just start again. I unplugged my USB keyboard thinking it would be that, but it kept on going. The game also wouldn't let me use any menus or exit the typing. Had to quit game via PS Button.

aceface

Ok GAF, help me out here. I am a healer in low level Tam Tara and the tank is marking guys 1, 2, 3, no problem. It's easy, and we're coasting through. I'm fluid pushing the 3's out to make it easier on the guys in the trenches to only have to go up against 2 instead of 3 or 4 guys. Mind you I never catch the aggro from that. Once the stun is done, the 3s go back to battle the tank. Tank gets pissed off and boots me from the party. Am I crazy for thinking he's a mega douche?

Pushing the enemies away can get annoying for the tank (blue carby does the same thing) but booting you was certainly an over reaction.

To the person above, that's happened to me before a few times with my keyboard on ps4. I end up spamming wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww in the FC chat which is of course hilarious for everyone -_-

Ken

Just got a really weird typing glitch.

For some reason, the game started spamming the = sign endlessly. If I hit enter to say it, it would just start again. I unplugged my USB keyboard thinking it would be that, but it kept on going. The game also wouldn't let me use any menus or exit the typing. Had to quit game via PS Button.

tha=t's int=ere=sting=

plake

I get where you're coming from but it's useful for a tank to be able to build hate on a mob even though it's a lesser priority target. Tank could flash and use enmity moves on any mob in their range. By pushing them away you 1) create hate for yourself 2) hinder the tank being able to build hate.

It was certainly an over reaction to boot you though. People tend to have short fuses sometimes and should just speak up about things in a nice manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom