• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

On clipping and Miqote tails.

Miqote tails clipping isn't anything new, it often did it on the first coil, darklight, and many of the CT sets as well. As annoying as it is though, I've never even dreamed of putting my character into skimp-wear because of it, nor have I considered changing races.

It's a small annoyance really, something you should just let roll off your skin.

jiggle

research materials needed for master crafts
even low level materials can fetch a pretty penny (ie noble grapes, HQ cinnamon)

And crystals

Indeed, it costs 7 gil in the Alchemist guild.

This is good to know. I haven't actually bought it myself, but I would be willing to pay 200 for 3 HQ pieces (does that even exists?) to level up my botanist faster. I'm sure it sells though since you need it for a GC supply quest if your BOT is lvl 1 and it's just faster to buy in the market than make the trip to the Alchemist guild.

ShinMaruku

BnVAEVTIcAA5mOU.jpg

Love the facial emotions on my elzen

zeox

so I finally have time to start playing this game again, which means I'll finally move to Ultros! with this comes a couple of questions:
How long does a character transfer take?
Will retainers and the stuff they are holding come with me (this may be a dumb question, but I have to know)
What do I do to apply to the GAF guild?

I think that's all I can come up with for now. Can't wait to get back into this game!

Mairu

The transfer process itself only takes a couple minutes but the server has to be open for new character creation in order to start it

Requiem

The answer is more story. The developers have been extending the game's plot with each major patch. Furthermore, the game's endgame content often has well-fleshed out story of its own. Both Crystal Tower and The Binding Coil seem to have independent story-lines that progress as you clear the dungeons.

Though the end-game dungeons are just plain fun to experience, in my opinion. Most of my favorite dungeons in the game are in the endgame: Copperbell Hard Mode, The Lost City of Amdapor, and The Labyrinth of the Ancients.

There's more story and a couple of excellent side stories. One in particular is amazing.

What do you mean, "after," the story?

The main 1-to-50 scenario is only the beginning really.

Ahhh I see. This being my first MMO, I thought after the main story it was just grinding dungeons and bosses for better looking/performing gear.

Nice to know there is more story content to look forward to

Dunan

Question: I sometimes see references to Chimera and Hydra as bosses, and they're listed before Mog, Titan EX, Amdapor City, Pharos, all of which I've taken on already. What do we need to do to fight them?

Jayhawk

Question: I sometimes see references to Chimera and Hydra as bosses, and they're listed before Mog, Titan EX, Amdapor City, Pharos, all of which I've taken on already. What do we need to do to fight them?

Part of the relic reborn quest line.

yaffi

You need to be on your relic weapon quest. That's where you fight them for the first time.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
The Market Board is where the money is at, especially through crafting, the rest is rubbish. The miner ores, at least on ultros, are pretty cheap. You can get 99 Iron Ores for like 300 gil, totally not worth mining. However stuff like Latex, which a level 1 botanist can get can go for 200 a piece, which is insane, but as far as I know it's not sold anywhere else. So yeah a little research is definitely needed.

For crafters it's probably better to focus on making crafting equipment since it's much more in demand, even at low levels. Then the HQ stuff required for tradecraft leves and GC supply missions that's not on the board. You can make a pretty penny there. You won't get the money right away, but if you price your stuff well usually by the next day a lot of it will sell and you have 40 slots anyway.

You have to realize as rubbish as Gathering maybe to some of ya'll, it's still helping you along the way
I'm not saying a person whose already set or needs that extra nudge of gil do my process

This is my process...

I have these avenues created for me, you can pick and choose certain ones and make your own gil stream

Info + Knowledge are key into making gil, you don't need spreadsheets, but common knowledge or using ffxivdb to help you out is a vital tool

Only reason I said Iron Ore is so a person low level with say level 10 Gathering can level up on them and make gil in the process
The ores in Ultros are now in good demand are not the shit the bed prices
Before you could get HQ Cobalt Ore 99 stack for roughly 30 gil per... It would insane not buy it out and turn it into HQ Ingots and make bank off it

For people who are hurting for gil there are many ways to make it, just find something that works for ya
Some can't put in say 6 hours into Button Mushroom farming and walk away with 47 stacks
Some like me can, but if you an level off a material and make gil, why wouldn't ya?

Just logging in today after taking a day break, I made 153K overnight selling level 25-30 stuff
The market at the moment is in demand mode and supply is constrained
When 2.3 info starts dropping and whenever personal housing info releases, market will react by withering itself back, hoarding/stockpiling will happen just like for FC housing

Why not make the best of it and squeeze out the most while the game is good
I mean FFS just hitting level 1 nodes for elemental shards and earning roughly 450 shards a hour (unless you 50, which bumps you to 550 with ward) you can make gil at a nice pace off Wind and Lightning shards on Ultros, Fire comes in third

Wind and Lightning are hovering 60+gil per, so in a hour you make roughly 25,000gil
I mean even if you've never ever gathered, there's gil here to be made off those
I remember when Wind shards were selling for 7gil per and you need 1000 just to make 7,000gil, 1000 shards now gives you roughly 60,000gil

Put some time into it, get rewarded, if not, then you can stay broke and keep asking how do I get rich

Oh great it's in this thread now

Time to find some rope and a chair

Got you covered!

I got a question, which servers are the most active in terms of gaf users?

I've played till lvl 70 with a BLM last year but I quit. Seeing as how they've added a lot of content, I've been thinking about rejoining the game. However I've got bored of BLM and thinking of rolling another class. I'm on excalibur at the moment and I do not know anything to play with. I'm hoping that if there's a lively community on another server, I can either do a server transfer or just make a new account on the new server.

What do you guys think?

The point is to maximize the amount of gil you're making in the time you're spending doing it.

If you're leveling up your gathering classes because you want to, then whatever you make as a result is gravy. However if your goal is to make gil, taking you lvl 20 miner to mine iron ore is really not the most efficient use of your time. Much like I've read in this thread over and over than doing CT is not a good way to farm tomes, since you're much better off doing Brayflox HM for example.

For example this:

Before you could get HQ Cobalt Ore 99 stack for roughly 30 gil per... It would insane not buy it out and turn it into HQ Ingots and make bank off it

Isn't really a no brainer, it would depend on how much you could sell those HQ ingots for and then taking into account of much time it takes to make them. I'd say it's much better to make equipment that's on demand rather than bother going through that route, which is also much riskier btw. Usually you also have to break them up in smaller chunks to sell and spread them over a few days if you want to maximize the price (pretty much the same concept as whole sellers). If you want to sell 99 at once you'll have to mark down the price.

For example the best way for me to earn exp for my lvl 39 armorer right now is through HQ mythril plates, which I scooped up for the market super cheap (from 200 - 400 each) and they give me about 130k exp. It would be insane for me to try to make them, since at my current level I would need HQ ingredients to even have a hope to HQ. Like I said some research is definitely needed. For me when I turn to the market willing to buy something and it's not there I'll go ahead and make more than I need to sell the rest.

Teknoman

I've played till lvl 70 with a BLM last year but I quit. Seeing as how they've added a lot of content, I've been thinking about rejoining the game. However I've got bored of BLM and thinking of rolling another class. I'm on excalibur at the moment and I do not know anything to play with. I'm hoping that if there's a lively community on another server, I can either do a server transfer or just make a new account on the new server.

What do you guys think?

ultros.gif

If you got bored with black mage, but like magic dps, why not try summoner?

I've played till lvl 70 with a BLM last year but I quit. Seeing as how they've added a lot of content, I've been thinking about rejoining the game. However I've got bored of BLM and thinking of rolling another class. I'm on excalibur at the moment and I do not know anything to play with.I'm hoping that if there's a lively community on another server, I can either do a server transfer or just make a new account on the new server.

What do you guys think?

You're welcome to join us on Ultros!

Cmagus

so I finally have time to start playing this game again, which means I'll finally move to Ultros! with this comes a couple of questions:
How long does a character transfer take?
Will retainers and the stuff they are holding come with me (this may be a dumb question, but I have to know)
What do I do to apply to the GAF guild?

I think that's all I can come up with for now. Can't wait to get back into this game!

Transfers take no more than a minute or two. Your retainers transfer as well but they cannot be selling anything or it won't let you transfer. Also if a retainer on the server has the same name you need to change it. You also need to drop any LS and FC and log out in a general area that isn't instanced housing area included.

zeox

Transfers take no more than a minute or two. Your retainers transfer as well but they cannot be selling anything or it won't let you transfer. Also if a retainer on the server has the same name you need to change it. You also need to drop any LS and FC and log out in a general area that isn't instanced housing area included.

thanks. Do I lose any progress towards my FC?

Teknoman

You can come with me to Wildstar.

You know, I actually tried the beta, and immediately stopped after making a character. The first hub area killed my framerate, and considering my performance in other games...I really cant figure out what was going on.

Even reduced everything to lowest settings, still nothing improved.

But thats enough off topic for me.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
You can come with me to Wildstar.

WoW in Spaaaaaaace

With even shittier mechaniiiiiics

Wildstar was going to be my first MMO, but the lack of a console release was a big turn off.

How is it being received? I loved their concepts for player housing, and I really hope FFXIV takes a lot of cues from it.

I imagine late in development optimization would help a lot of people's concerns.

Cmagus

thanks. Do I lose any progress towards my FC?
No everything transfers with you. The only thing you may lose is your or your retainers name providing someone on the new server doesn't have that name.

I should mention as well that if you want to change your characters name now is the time to do it. Simply make a new character on the new server with the exact same name so that you have to change it.

GraveRobberX

DAT eerie and haunting feeling while Skyfishing in Snowy Coerthas
Ishgardian lights peeking through the desolate storm

The music feels very spooky to really make you feel alone =/
bqh5kul.jpg

Tex117

Banned
I posted this over the weekend, but I'll ask again.

Is the endgame story content after the main scenario really worth the additional time investment?

This was my first MMO, got to a level 50 as a BLM. Kept playing because I enjoyed the story and the Final Fantasy feeling.

Im kinda torn of whether to keep going or take a month off...or see if I can't get into the endgame....

Suggestions to see if I can get it to stick?

GraveRobberX

I posted this over the weekend, but I'll ask again.

Is the endgame story content after the main scenario really worth the additional time investment?

This was my first MMO, got to a level 50 as a BLM. Kept playing because I enjoyed the story and the Final Fantasy feeling.

Im kinda torn of whether to keep going or take a month off...or see if I can't get into the endgame....

Suggestions to see if I can get it to stick?

Well endgame is the real grind

The first Coil of Bahamut is free reign, so you can just hammer away at it and get phat l00t
The 2nd Coil is where the lockout is and if you don't have a static, you will be hard pressed to people doing anything after Coil 2 Turn1 (Turn 6), usually Tuesday/Wednesday you gte a PUG for that Turn, but rarely anything afterwards
Turn 7 really takes it up a notch and PUG's usually don't have the communication or teamwork to go through all the steps necessary for a victory

If you can keep getting gear from Coil for you main and secondary or even your third, getting them BIS pre 2.2 is a nice accomplishment, and by that time, maybe you get lucky and join a group formed with PUG's to do Coil 2

2.28 is dropping soon, brings in a few new milestones to chase
Then from 2.28 drop till 2.3 it will be only a months time, and CT Floor 1 will most likely help out people get geared more for Coil 2 (will be a 1 week lockout for sure, but hey an extra gear set option to play with stats never hurts)

Tex117

Banned
Well endgame is the real grind

The first Coil of Bahamut is free reign, so you can just hammer away at it and get phat l00t
The 2nd Coil is where the lockout is and if you don't have a static, you will be hard pressed to people doing anything after Coil 2 Turn1 (Turn 6), usually Tuesday/Wednesday you gte a PUG for that Turn, but rarely anything afterwards
Turn 7 really takes it up a notch and PUG's usually don't have the communication or teamwork to go through all the steps necessary for a victory

If you can keep getting gear from Coil for you main and secondary or even your third, getting them BIS pre 2.2 is a nice accomplishment, and by that time, maybe you get lucky and join a group formed with PUG's to do Coil 2

2.28 is dropping soon, brings in a few new milestones to chase
Then from 2.28 drop till 2.3 it will be only a months time, and CT Floor 1 will most likely help out people get geared more for Coil 2 (will be a 1 week lockout for sure, but hey an extra gear set option to play with stats never hurts)
That you for taking the time to type this out and attempt to encourage me, but you left something out...

Why should I care about coils? Does it progress story or is it just the challenge of taking these things on??

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Is it just "getting better gear." If that's all it is, I don't see the point in continuing to play.
The endgame is about getting the best gear, playing dress up, and sitting around in various places.

GraveRobberX

That you for taking the time to type this out and attempt to encourage me, but you left something out...

Why should I care about coils? Does it progress story or is it just the challenge of taking these things on??

Both in a sense

The main story scenario carries on through Coil
Just cause you finished Prae, doesn't mean Story finished there
You still have a Main Scenario branch that is dedicated to end game which is Coil, then another branch which brings with new primals, like Moogle, Leviathan and re-meeting with Ultima, and soon with 2.3 Ramuh, the Lightning God (Get ready the Tesla Coils, this will be a shocker! >.>)

Every Coil Turn has cutscenes to furthering along the arc of this game
It just not end game dungeons thrown in for shits n' giggles

For every completion, the story is pushed forward, I mean yes you can Youtube all you like and just be like oh so that's what transpires, but going through coil, practice, many deaths, then victory makes it worthwhile

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

There's still a bit more story left. I was impressed how much but it's up to you if you think it's worth it. Your relic quest has reasonable progression and interesting fights but can be a bit grindy. I still enjoyed it however.

Each major patch (2.1 and 2.2) have added to the main storyline as well and it simply continues from where it left off in 2.0. It's really only after you've done those two things that's there's nothing left but dungeon grind. As for Binding Coil there isn't really much (any?) story there so far so I can't imagine you would be interested.

This is where I'm up to now as well and I can't decide if I can really stay motivated without any story progress. So to sum it up post 50 there's still two patches of main story and the relic quest before the game really turns into a full on dungeon grind. Take that as you will.

Istaerion

I know it's been asked a million times, but if I own this on PC can I transfer it over to PS4 at no cost?
I don't believe it applies to the PC version. The only option I know available is the free PS3 to PS4 version upgrade offer that will expire come the end of the year.

If you're asking if you can access your character regardless of version, then yes, you can interchange between them. You'll simply need to have both a PC and PS4 license registered on the same Square-Enix account.

The endgame is about getting the best gear, playing dress up, and sitting around in various places.

In other words it's the same exact thing in just about every single mmo in existence, except if it's not a gear grind in some games it's a rank grind that gives better and better things the higher your rank is. It's all about the gear/vanity/pvp grind when it comes to endgame in any mmo, without any of those carrots there is literally no reason for most to even bother logging in.

Amir0x

Banned
seriously the world is on the line or some shit and you want me to go around for an hour trying to find the right wine

the fuck @ game logic :p

GraveRobberX

Should I get the gathering hat first or just keep saving until I can get the weapon?

Do you do all 3 Gatherings?, then get hat if you have no materia slotted in any of the gear

If you favor one gathering, then go for wep first
It's a huge step, you want to get that

Work on hat afterwards, the weapon is Best, I think you gain +2 only if you haven't pentamelded materia slots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom