• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
Do you do all 3 Gatherings?, then get hat if you have no materia slotted in any of the gear

If you favor one gathering, then go for wep first
It's a huge step, you want to get that

Work on hat afterwards, the weapon is Best, I think you gain +2 only if you haven't pentamelded materia slots

Yeah, I'm doing all three at once. Have 30 HQ logs, 39 HQ ores and like 5 HQ fish. Max meld is only fishing, but the added perception probably won't help with the HQ chance for those items, right? Probably better to get the extra gathering from the weapon so I can use Leaf Turn / Unearth 2.

Amir0x

Banned
Wait until you have to make the stew.

Every time on these story missions before they give you access to the dungeon, they want you to go all around the lands and do everyone's chores. It's pretty hilarious.

Why is it that people don't seem to use limit break that often? and in a dungeon who should use it?

I never see people use it, but I try to use it. I have one that heals the team so that's useful in a bind, and I have a bunch that cause lots of damage, so I usually use it to speed the dungeon up and kill a mob quickly.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
DAT eerie and haunting feeling while Skyfishing in Snowy Coerthas
Ishgardian lights peeking through the desolate storm

The music feels very spooky to really make you feel alone =/
bqh5kul.jpg
I'm getting a big Xenoblade feel from this screenshot. Those lights remind me of the Mechonis.

suzu

Did SV and none of the dps would use limit break despite me asking a bunch of times every boss battle. lol.

Even when we needed it on the last boss and we were down to 2 people (me as tank and the smn who insisted on using titan for a good long while). LB would have finished it. Dat tunnel vision.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Why is it that people don't seem to use limit break that often? and in a dungeon who should use it?

The worst is those who don't use it on the boss at the end of Bray HM
You can bypass the whole 3rd phase, if you trigger LB2 as a melee DPS, hell even Mage if you time it right
Just as you see the animation go off of it shooting it's top cannon off and 3 Illuminati Goblins appear with Crosshair, you should pull off LB2

It's annoying to see it saved, kill adds, push-back all the damn min bombs, then they use lbs on that stupid shit huge bomb, forgetting that it's first steamroll will be through that area...
Then dodge the steamrolls 3 more times, wasting 2.5 minutes, which is goddamn annoying if you are going for Soldiery SR's!

GraveRobberX

Yeah, I'm doing all three at once. Have 30 HQ logs, 39 HQ ores and like 5 HQ fish. Max meld is only fishing, but the added perception probably won't help with the HQ chance for those items, right? Probably better to get the extra gathering from the weapon so I can use Leaf Turn / Unearth 2.

How did I miss your post, whoops

Correct!

You can go after the headpiece afterwards, cause you'll have a better shot at gathering them up

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Even then people don't seem to use them often. I've had people tell me to use it as I'm a drg

I just wanted to know in case there was a bonus for not using it, but now I won't hesitate to use it against the boss.

It seems that generally it's good for the DPS to use it towards the end of the boss fight.

Is there a way to teleport from one Etherite crystal to another ? I can use the ones in the forest outside of Gridania to teleport back to town, but not the other way around. And I just got to Limsa Lominsa and cannot teleport back to Gridania from the Etherite crystal there. Is that normal ?

GraveRobberX

Is there a way to teleport from one Etherite crystal to another ? I can use the ones in the forest outside of Gridania to teleport back to town, but not the other way around. And I just got to Limsa Lominsa and cannot teleport back to Gridania from the Etherite crystal there. Is that normal ?

You have to Attune with the crystal to unlock it, then you can Teleport at your Pleasure

Each zone has a hub are with a crystal
Within the cities there's mini Aetherytes which you can port across the city quickly

You have to Attune with the crystal to unlock it, then you can Teleport at your Pleasure

Each zone has a hub are with a crystal
Within the cities there's mini Aetherytes which you can port across the city quickly

Yeah, I've attuned every crystal I came across. But I can't teleport at will between all of them. I can use the cystals outside of towns to get back to town, but not the other way around.

SkyOdin

Yeah, I've attuned every crystal I came across. But I can't teleport at will between all of them. I can use the cystals outside of towns to get back to town, but not the other way around.

Are you casting Return or Teleport? Either spell can be used anywhere in the game, not just at the Aeytherites. Return brings you back to the one Aetheyrite you are bound to, which is the same one you respawn at when you die. Teleport will allow you to warp to any Aeytherite you have attuned to, but at a Gil cost.

suzu

Neither. I'm talking about walking to an Etherite crystal and pressing the action button. It doesn't let me teleport to whichever Ehterite crystal I want. Is this normal ?

Once you attune to a big Aetheryte crystal, you can teleport to it from anywhere via your Teleport menu. The little crystals in the main cities are only for teleporting to different parts of the same city.

If you wanted to go from Limsa Lominsa to Gridania, you would choose New Gridania from your teleport menu.

isn't the rumour they're going to fix the atma stuff a bit for 2.3? or am I wrong? might be worth waiting in that case :p

He already went on record to say they will adjust how (much?) Myth is acquired, wouldn't surprise me if they touched the Atma drop rate just a little also.

Amir0x

Banned
Only need 3 more.
Really wanted to finish this before I quit. :/

I understand that drive. Still, sounds a bit like torture right now :p

I been playing for almost a month, and I still don't have a level 50 guy because I keep getting distracted by starting new sub classes. Level 35 Pugilist/Monk, Level 28 Lancer, Level 46 Archer/Bard, Level 30 Carpenter. And I'm starting the next class as soon as I hit 30 lancer and get its sub class and soul stone. Seems like I'll just be distracted forever :p

I understand that drive. Still, sounds a bit like torture right now :p

I been playing for almost a month, and I still don't have a level 50 guy because I keep getting distracted by starting new sub classes. Level 35 Pugilist/Monk, Level 28 Lancer, Level 46 Archer/Bard, Level 30 Carpenter. And I'm starting the next class as soon as I hit 30 lancer and get its sub class and soul stone. Seems like I'll just be distracted forever :p
I'm the opposite. I want to get my WHM to 50 asap, but keep reading that skills from other classes are really important. I already leveled THM to 26 for Swiftcast, which despite not having much fun doing it, it was worth it. Next I have to get SMN to like 36 for Eye for an Eye, but I think I might wait a little while.

I've never played a healer before, so WHM is so much fun for me.

Speaking of Swiftcast, I guess not many players know about it around the 35-40 level, or at least they don't expect me to have it because they will always resurrect at the entrance if they die in a boss fight. Its really aggravating. There were some PUG wipes that I think we would have been fine if they didn't do that.

Tex117

Banned
There's still a bit more story left. I was impressed how much but it's up to you if you think it's worth it. Your relic quest has reasonable progression and interesting fights but can be a bit grindy. I still enjoyed it however.

Each major patch (2.1 and 2.2) have added to the main storyline as well and it simply continues from where it left off in 2.0. It's really only after you've done those two things that's there's nothing left but dungeon grind. As for Binding Coil there isn't really much (any?) story there so far so I can't imagine you would be interested.

This is where I'm up to now as well and I can't decide if I can really stay motivated without any story progress. So to sum it up post 50 there's still two patches of main story and the relic quest before the game really turns into a full on dungeon grind. Take that as you will.
Both in a sense

The main story scenario carries on through Coil
Just cause you finished Prae, doesn't mean Story finished there
You still have a Main Scenario branch that is dedicated to end game which is Coil, then another branch which brings with new primals, like Moogle, Leviathan and re-meeting with Ultima, and soon with 2.3 Ramuh, the Lightning God (Get ready the Tesla Coils, this will be a shocker! >.>)

Every Coil Turn has cutscenes to furthering along the arc of this game
It just not end game dungeons thrown in for shits n' giggles

For every completion, the story is pushed forward, I mean yes you can Youtube all you like and just be like oh so that's what transpires, but going through coil, practice, many deaths, then victory makes it worthwhile

Hmmm, those are some good arguments. Guess it doesn't hurt going one more month and see what the game has to offer.

Thank you for the info.

SkyOdin

Neither. I'm talking about walking to an Etherite crystal and pressing the action button. It doesn't let me teleport to whichever Ehterite crystal I want. Is this normal ?

Yes. The aether-net is purely used for moving between locations within a city. It cannot be used to travel to the aeytherites located in camps or in other cities. For that, you need to use the Teleport command (either the Hotbar command or from the menu). However, Teleport can be cast anywhere, as long as you are not in an instance. You do not need to be at an aeytherite in order to teleport to another one.

Yes. The aether-net is purely used for moving between locations within a city. It cannot be used to travel to the aeytherites located in camps or in other cities. For that, you need to use the Teleport command (either the Hotbar command or from the menu). However, Teleport can be cast anywhere, as long as you are not in an instance. You do not need to be at an aeytherite in order to teleport to another one.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

Also, I don't quite know where to put the stats bonus points I get once in a while after leveling. I'm planning on being a Dragoon; is there a specific distribution of points I should respect ?

You can bypass the whole 3rd phase, if you trigger LB2 as a melee DPS, hell even Mage if you time it right
Just as you see the animation go off of it shooting it's top cannon off and 3 Illuminati Goblins appear with Crosshair, you should pull off LB2

It's annoying to see it saved, kill adds, push-back all the damn min bombs, then they use lbs on that stupid shit huge bomb, forgetting that it's first steamroll will be through that area...
Then dodge the steamrolls 3 more times, wasting 2.5 minutes, which is goddamn annoying if you are going for Soldiery SR's!

I can skip that 3rd phase with a LB1 on my DRG. :3

Zomba13

When I was lvling DRG I only got to use the LB once or twice. Other times it was wasted (wasted, not just used to lesser effect) by healers or Tanks blowing them for no reason at all.

Artorias

Banned
Is there any kind of announcement when Odin/ Behemoth Fates pop? I've never done them before and I'd like to see them, how often do they happen?

Zomba13

Is there any kind of announcement when Odin/ Behemoth Fates pop? I've never done them before and I'd like to see them, how often do they happen?

On Ultros some guys started an Odin&Behemoth Linkshell which usually notifies when they are up. Usually pops up in FC chat first though.

Griss

Did SV and none of the dps would use limit break despite me asking a bunch of times every boss battle. lol.

Even when we needed it on the last boss and we were down to 2 people (me as tank and the smn who insisted on using titan for a good long while). LB would have finished it. Dat tunnel vision.

I've tried using it and can never get it to work. The bar fills up, but pressing the limit break hotkey does nothing. Is there some kind of prerequisite to using it? I'm a summoner, by the way.

Very frustrating as there have been at least two fights where if it functioned correctly the battle would have been won rather than lost. One being that stupid 'Ward Up' fight against the reviving gargoyles.

Zomba13

I've tried using it and can never get it to work. The bar fills up, but pressing the limit break hotkey does nothing. Is there some kind of prerequisite to using it? I'm a summoner, by the way.

Very frustrating as there have been at least two fights where if it functioned correctly the battle would have been won rather than lost. One being that stupid 'Ward Up' fight against the reviving gargoyles.

With SMN and BLM it is a targeted spell so you get a circle AoE like you would with Shadow Flare and have to aim it and then confirm.

Dunan

I have so much trouble with that big-bomb section. The steamrolls don't seem to be in an orderly pattern like they are with the initial sections (where he rolls in a circle and you can stay in the middle. Last time in Bray HM, I as the BLM was tasked with using the limit break on that big bomb, and I couldn't aim it in time before getting steamrolled and killed. If a melee DPS can finish the fight even sooner, next time I'll ask the party about doing that.

Also, thanks to the posters above who explained where Chimera and Hydra are, but what is this Relic Quest and how do I get it started? Is it part of the postgame quest where you pursue some Ascians northward from Vesper Bay? Because I'm at the Parata's Peace stage of that quest, and I'm simply never going to finish it, at least not until I get some ridiculously good gear. Fighting four un-sleep-able Ascians at once is just plain impossible.

jiggle

Also, thanks to the posters above who explained where Chimera and Hydra are, but what is this Relic Quest and how do I get it started? Is it part of the postgame quest where you pursue some Ascians northward from Vesper Bay? Because I'm at the Parata's Peace stage of that quest, and I'm simply never going to finish it, at least not until I get some ridiculously good gear. Fighting four un-sleep-able Ascians at once is just plain impossible.
http://m.ign.com/wikis/ff14/A_Relic_Reborn

This blows me away too. I swear I'm the ONLY one using Limit Breaks. As a DPS, I feel it's justified for me to use it.
It's probably because the others don't even know they can use it. I swear I would have been totally lost if it wasn't for my mates that explained how the game works for me. And I still have the feeling that I don't know about everything that I can do in this game.

Dunan

It's probably because the others don't even know they can use it. I swear I would have been totally lost if it wasn't for my mates that explained how the game works for me. And I still have the feeling that I don't know about everything that I can do in this game.

Co-signed. If not for friendly GAFfers, I would have given up on this game long ago. They over-teach thing that are obvious (to RPG gams in particular) and under-teach entirely new concepts. Maybe it's different for people who have played other MMOs but never a FF game; I'm coming at things from the perspective of playing many non-MMO RPGs but never an MMO.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Wow, it's really easy to level alts in this game. I just got my THM to level 11 in about two hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom