• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

N6a7Er8.jpg
QnJh7QF.jpg
8DHD9QC.jpg

Keep going, you can do it.

I loathe the day that I decide to go back to central shroud.

zeox

When I first started some random dude gave me a full set of HQ armor for my class. I was very grateful / blown away.

Pay it forward!

this happened to me once as well. Was waiting for one of the Lightning fates to spawn and some random guy asked if he could make me HQ armor.

Come to think about it, I haven't come across a single jerk in this game <3

orion434

Some random player messages me requesting to Craft 3* Gear with their own materials, I tell him that there is no 100% formula and can't guarantee an HQ. Starts getting mad at me because I won't shell out my own mats if it goes NQ. I say if you want 100% HQ check the Market Board. I mean it's like 90% but the RNG gods would curse me on this one for sure!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Some random player messages me requesting to Craft 3* Gear with their own materials, I tell him that there is no 100% formula and can't guarantee an HQ. Starts getting mad at me because I won't shell out my own mats if it goes NQ. I say if you want 100% HQ check the Market Board. I mean it's like 90% but the RNG gods would curse me on this one for sure!

Y U NO HQ!

Winter John

I was in a dungeon today and a healer wasn't happy that I had my carbunkle. It's set to only attack things i attack, and i was only attacking whatever the tank was going for, so wasn't sure why it was a problem. should they be used in dungeons?

I was in a dungeon today and a healer wasn't happy that I had my carbunkle. It's set to only attack things i attack, and i was only attacking whatever the tank was going for, so wasn't sure why it was a problem. should they be used in dungeons?

Which Carbuncle were you using? Generally, people don't like when Topaz is used in dungeons because he's more of a tanking pet. Emerald is usually fine.

suzu

It's fine as long as it is Emerald Carbuncle. Topaz is for solo content. Emerald does more damage anyway.

Which Carbuncle did you have out? Emerald or Topaz?

Even then, not sure why the healer would be bothered by Topaz (if it was Topaz you had out) pulling threat... Figured only a tank would be annoyed by that.

Edit-- So slow.

Winter John

Which Carbuncle did you have out? Emerald or Topaz?

Even then, not sure why the healer would be bothered by Topaz (if it was Topaz you had out) pulling threat... Figured only a tank would be annoyed by that.

Edit-- So slow.

I was surprised because no one has ever complained before. Thought I'd ask just in case I was messing up someone else's game

I didn't know this. There really isn't a way to guarantee an HQ? Even if you have all the cross class abilities? I haven't really looked into it yet since I'm still leveling mine.

Related to that, what would be the optimal steps for a 40 durability item? Of course it would depend on what you have available, but strategy wise. For example for my lower lvl crafters I have to use the LTW skill to get 2 extra turns since otherwise I leave a lot of CP on the table. However with my higher level crafters I don't go for extra steps and try to maximize each step with the doubling the next touch action ability and sometimes even observe (though I use that one very little). It seems to be more efficient that use up a lot of CP to get more turns in my limited testing, but I could be very wrong. I'd like to hear more about that.

Kenai

I didn't know this. There really isn't a way to guarantee an HQ? Even if you have all the cross class abilities? I haven't really looked into it yet since I'm still leveling mine.

Nope, SE specifically made the 3 stars that way. It's also a lot more dynamic than it used to be, you have to count out your CP and change your skill order based on things like Tricks procs and Hasty Touch fails. You can get into the 70% with some luck but it could just as easily end up being 20% or less at any given time.

I feel like they might make it even harder going forward, but we shall see.

Related to that, what would be the optimal steps for a 40 durability item?

I like to use Careful Synth to get as close to complete as I can (so that the next Careful Synth will finish it off) then Manipulation at 20 durability (Or Masters Mend at 10, Manipulation is usually better but at low levels doesn't matter much) and keep it going as much as I can while building up Inner Quiet via Hasty/Basic. When there's about 70 CP left I do the Great Strides + Brygots at the final 20 dura and usually end up with ~80%+ HQ chance. 100% for sure if a Good pops This is at around level 25 when you can slot the fab five (Careful Synth, Tricks, Steady Hand 2, Brygots, Hasty),

it becomes much more intricate for high level 40 durability mats, you throw in Innovation when your Inner Quiet is sufficient and can start out with Piece By Piece/Comfort Zone and things like that.

Wilsongt

speaking of shitty healers. I was tanking in Totorak last night as a Lv 25 GLD. My gear was up to par, but not great. Anyway, I died on the first boss once, the second boss one, and died to normal mobs twice. Why? Healer insisted on rotating between Stone and Heals, and let me get too low.

Yes, I'm the tank, blah blah blah cool downs, blah blah blah. Unless you really know how to play the healing job well, don't try to rotate Aero/Sleep/Stone/Heals. I can understand if he was a SCH and had Eos out or something, but nope. Just a CNJ with really poor gear for his level.

Kenai

speaking of shitty healers. I was tanking in Totorak last night as a Lv 25 GLD. My gear was up to par, but not great. Anyway, I died on the first boss once, the second boss one, and died to normal mobs twice. Why? Healer insisted on rotating between Stone and Heals, and let me get too low.

Yes, I'm the tank, blah blah blah cool downs, blah blah blah. Unless you really know how to play the healing job well, don't try to rotate Aero/Sleep/Stone/Heals. I can understand if he was a SCH and had Eos out or something, but nope. Just a CNJ with really poor gear for his level.

Yea, that sucks but you'll get those from time to time. I usually stick to healing specifically because I tend to not trust healers I haven't seen at least a little bit. Heck I can still mess up just trying to land a Shadowflare in bray HM to slow all the mobs (although to be fair a lot of that time it was tanks pulling more then they could handle + not blowing CDs, I shouldn't need to use 4-5 Lustrates back to back during a single Sacred Soil duration outside of Coil, and certainly not in Bray HM on trash in DF).

DPSing as a healer should always come after the party is topped off/stable and you have observed that they are capable of remaining stable for extended periods of time. While a healer's DPS is certainly capable of making a run smoother and faster, that obviously flies out the window if they are incapable of keeping people alive during that time (and even close calls due to DPSing over healing will often cause tanks to pull more slowly and thus make the run longer). I'm assuming most healers...do not do that, or are just wannabe DPS tantalized by a shorter queue? Who knows.

Wilsongt

Yea, that sucks but you'll get those from time to time. I usually stick to healing specifically because I tend to not trust healers I haven't seen at least a little bit. Heck I can still mess up just trying to land a Shadowflare in bray HM to slow all the mobs (although to be fair a lot of that time it was tanks pulling more then they could handle + not blowing CDs, I shouldn't need to use 4-5 Lustrates back to back during a single Sacred Soil duration outside of Coil, and certainly not in Bray HM on trash in DF).

DPSing as a healer should always come after the party is topped off/stable and you have observed that they are capable of remaining stable for extended periods of time. While a healer's DPS is certainly capable of making a run smoother and faster, that obviously flies out the window if they are incapable of keeping people alive during that time (and even close calls due to DPSing over healing will often cause tanks to pull more slowly and thus make the run longer). I'm assuming most healers...do not do that, or are just wannabe DPS tantalized by a shorter queue? Who knows.

No idea. As a SCH and a WHM who has run the low level dungeons countless times in the past, I knew when to DPS and when not to DPS. I assume he was new to the dungeon, though his level didn't indicate it. You really need to be on your toes at times. I'm not the best healer, but I have certainly gotten many a compliment from people as a healer when I was able to effectively keep up as a DPS and make sure everyone was consistently healed.

WolvenOne

what's the market like for materials obtained from slain enemies? I wanna know how much I should be selling them.

Only a handful of enemies drop things that are decently valuable in my experience, and you need decent stacks to get more than a K or two worth of gil.

Oh its certainly doable to make decent money that way, but it'll require time and patience.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

I am guilty of lots or Aero in dfll. Please understand. :p No but seriously, those lower level dungeons are so boring, especially when a group is fully functioning and totally geared out. I've been guilty a few times of letting a tanks health get to 30-40% and I feel bad so I'll usually spam a few Cure II's. What I've become better with the past few nights is casting Cure I, while that's casting select the mob and get ready to hit Aero, do that and check the tank's health at which point I'll either do another Cure or select the next mob and do another Aero.

You are 100% correct in everything... but yeah... those dfll are so so so so so so so boring for us healers. :(

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
That's part of the reason I enjoy SCH so much... change to Cleric Stance, throw DoTs around, Bane to spread them, have Eos do some healing while I throw a couple Ruins and then change back to top everyone off. No shortage of things to do!

Having said that, I'm fully aware I'm a healer so I make sure everyone's comfortable with their HP at (most) all times.

Kenai

No idea. As a SCH and a WHM who has run the low level dungeons countless times in the past, I knew when to DPS and when not to DPS. I assume he was new to the dungeon, though his level didn't indicate it. You really need to be on your toes at times. I'm not the best healer, but I have certainly gotten many a compliment from people as a healer when I was able to effectively keep up as a DPS and make sure everyone was consistently healed.

I haven't leveled WHM past 15 so i can't comment there. And i've heard plenty of stories of SCHs basically AFKing or never leaving Cleric Stance for entire dungeons with no trouble (and believe them as I have done the latter a few times too). But I also think it's really, really sh*tty if a healer isn't paying attention and lets a tank die while DPSing. A SCH has more than enough tools via Eos at low levels and Fairy + Lustrates + mitigation CDs at high levels to drop Cleric Stance even if it was just popped and get back to healing.

I mean, sure it's great when everyone clearly overgears the content and you literally have nothing else to do but DPS, or even if you're good enough to weave in DPS during harder content so well that no one notices you popped in and out of Cleric, but if you forget "your place' aka everyone's gear level relative to the current content (and skill level too, no one learns all this stuff the first time through and some people are slower learners too) and you aren't at least trying to do your assigned job when that's the case, it's just no good and said person should feel bad/improve.

Wilsongt

Even if it was LL duty finder, his gear was still pretty bad for Totorak and he was still a CNJ. Unless you are level 35+ and doing the roulette to level a character or something, you need to pay attention. Your job is to keep people alive first and DPS second. Throwing out aeros is fine, just don't also supplement with stone over and over again and then try to frantically heal me when I am already down to 15% of my health. Just a tip. Yeah, low level roulette is pretty boring. I've come to hate Cutters Cry so so so so much...

danthefan

I did a dungeon last night where the WHM kept pulling mobs or attacking a different mob than the tank and then moan about the taking. It was very annoying.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
all of these healer complaints in light of my recent DPS complaints make me sad. I apologize for all of those assholes guys. sry. :\

orion434

Related to that, what would be the optimal steps for a 40 durability item? Of course it would depend on what you have available, but strategy wise. For example for my lower lvl crafters I have to use the LTW skill to get 2 extra turns since otherwise I leave a lot of CP on the table. However with my higher level crafters I don't go for extra steps and try to maximize each step with the doubling the next touch action ability and sometimes even observe (though I use that one very little). It seems to be more efficient that use up a lot of CP to get more turns in my limited testing, but I could be very wrong. I'd like to hear more about that.

For 2* 80 Durability Crafts there is a 100% formula using all NQ ingredients.

Comfort Zone
Inner Quiet
Waste Not
Steady Hand II
Basic Touch x5
Great Strides
Steady Hand
Ingenuity
Standard Touch
Great Strides
Byregot's Blessing
Careful Synthesis II x3

This formula does not work with 3* Crafts because the Progress needed is 445, so you have to spend an additional 2 durability checks on 2x Piece by Piece and an additional 30 CP.

There is a "safe" method using Steady Hand II and Basic Touch along with Tricks of the Trade but RNG might bite you and you'd have to use a Hasty Touch or 2. If you have ~ 1500 quality this is your best bet. Using all HQ mats and miss the 2 Hasty you'd get ~ 85%

Then there is the "Balls to the Wall" method using ALL Hasty Touch, you can max the Inner Quiet bonus to 200% if you hit at least 10 / 11 Hasty. Though you'd need to cast Comfort Zone 2x and get 5 "good" conversions for the CP to squeeze in a Manipulation.

For 2* 80 Durability Crafts there is a 100% formula using all NQ ingredients.

Comfort Zone
Inner Quiet
Waste Not
Steady Hand II
Basic Touch x5
Great Strides
Steady Hand
Ingenuity
Standard Touch
Great Strides
Byregot's Blessing
Careful Synthesis II x3

This formula does not work with 3* Crafts because the Progress needed is 445, so you have to spend an additional 2 durability checks on 2x Piece by Piece and an additional 30 CP.

There is a "safe" method using Steady Hand II and Basic Touch along with Tricks of the Trade but RNG might bite you and you'd have to use a Hasty Touch or 2. If you have ~ 1500 quality this is your best bet. Using all HQ mats and miss the 2 Hasty you'd get ~ 85%

Then there is the "Balls to the Wall" method using ALL Hasty Touch, you can max the Inner Quiet bonus to 200% if you hit at least 10 / 11 Hasty. Though you'd need to cast Comfort Zone 2x and get 5 "good" conversions for the CP to squeeze in a Manipulation.

Well this is very interesting, thanks.

I had a HORRIBLE adventure with a shitty healer, albeit on a lower level dungeon. The healer let the tank (buddy of mine on party chat) die three times will insisting he needed to do DPS while he was constantly ninja'ing treasure chests and trying to lead. My buddy the poor tank needed a cigarette and beer after that run.

Ken

I had a HORRIBLE adventure with a shitty healer, albeit on a lower level dungeon. The healer let the tank (buddy of mine on party chat) die three times will insisting he needed to do DPS while he was constantly ninja'ing treasure chests and trying to lead. My buddy the poor tank needed a cigarette and beer after that run.

I had a healer do that on a Haukke NM once. Apparently he believed that if he doesn't DPS he gets less XP per kill.

exfatal

Final got my dragoon class, is it right to just keep shoving my points into Strength? Anyways this game is great but feel like the end game content is really where its at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom