• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJIzana

They gave some new information on the last show. Nothing earthshattering, but a couple of new tidbits.

I'd honestly be happy with that. I didn't even think we were getting the battlegrounds so soon. I'm still hoping Golden Saucer is for this patch too but yeah. Honestly, I'm looking forward to more of the content that doesn't involve raiding more than anything. Chocobo breeding, personal rooms seem cool but I think that's beyond 2.3, no?

jiggle

Now with picture
EAEMh85.jpg

Was that the PvP stuff?

As far as I know that was the first place they ever officially confirmed that frontlines was set for 2.3(before then it was always "maybe" or "here's some concept art, enjoy"), the other pvp changes were also said there. It's not like any of it matters at this point though unless they actually say and do something about pvp NOW, because as is they may as well not even release frontlines with how little shit they seem to give about half the groups on each server(with how queues shit the bed a week after 2.25 came out, I have no doubt that it's up to half at this point) doing nothing but wintrading to get their gear.

Ken

As far as I know that was the first place they ever officially confirmed that frontlines was set for 2.3, the other pvp changes were also said there. It's not like any of it matters at this point though unless they actually say and do something about pvp NOW, because as is they may as well not even release frontlines with how little shit they seem to give about half the groups on each server(with how queues shit the bed a week after 2.25 came out, I have no doubt that it's up to half at this point) doing nothing but wintrading to get their gear.

When even I get asked to join PvP wintrading groups, it must be bad.

Do guildleves if you're going to level crafting/gathering classes. You can get the tradecraft levequests from the adventurer's guild.
Yep. Goes much faster with hand/land leves, Grand Company requisitions, etc. All the gather/crafting jobs tie into one another so you can actually sorta 'round Robbin' them back and forth - mine for mats for AMR/BS/GS/LTW/WVR, fish for small parts of most crafting jobs plus largely for Culinarian. They all just flow in and out of one another.

Aeana

Well it'd have to be the biggest FC, or at least one of them, since no FC can be larger than we are (we're capped at the moment).

Griss

Just beat the main quest and the last two dungeons were annoying as someone who was interested in the story, I basically didn't participate in majority of boss fights.

I had the exact same experience. Felt compelled to skip the cutscenes in the last two story dungeons (raids) by a group of iLvl 80+ players who were just sprinting through everything. I said I was new but they didn't care/respond, then got on my case for mishandling a cannon for maximum speed when no one had even explained them to me.

Was a really bad and stressful way to end the game, especially when I was actually mildly interested in the story, which is an achievement for an MMO.

I said I'd quit once I beat it, but I'm still here, lol. It's a fun game.

I had the exact same experience. Felt compelled to skip the cutscenes in the last two story dungeons (raids) by a group of iLvl 80+ players who were just sprinting through everything. I said I was new but they didn't care/respond, then got on my case for mishandling a cannon for maximum speed when no one had even explained them to me.

Was a really bad and stressful way to end the game, especially when I was actually mildly interested in the story, which is an achievement for an MMO.

People are dicks. I speak up when I see shit like that. And since I'm usually the MT when I run Main Scenario DR, that's usually where it ends.

Finishing Praetorium for the first time was a cool experience, including the cutscenes. I would not rob it of anyone.

IvorB

Hold R1 and select the bar you assigned. You can't use the R2+L2 combination to set skills in that hotbar.

That's what I needed to know. I tried it but it didn't seem to work. I didn't really have time to wrestle with it. There's a couple of interface things like battle chat and target cycling that I need to get right.

Teknoman

People are dicks. I speak up when I see shit like that. And since I'm usually the MT when I run Main Scenario DR, that's usually where it ends.

Finishing Praetorium for the first time was a cool experience, including the cutscenes. I would not rob it of anyone.

This is why I fully encourage people to either make a party finder party for this kind of stuff or just ask Free Company members to help. A good chunk of players will still respond in kind...but it still sucks that people rely on duty finder for speed runs / want to speed run everything no matter what.

Griss

Can anyone help me with weaving basics? I don't get this shit at all, yet I'm already level 30. What does the 'condition' of the craft signify and why does it change? Why does the actual visual thing glow red sometimes? What makes it likely to explode? What are the better abilities?

Seriously, I've managed to make a couple of HQs but in general I have no idea what I'm doing. I figure if I learn this then I'll have learned them all.

This is why I fully encourage people to either make a party finder party for this kind of stuff or just ask Free Company members to help. A good chunk of players will still respond in kind...but it still sucks that people rely on duty finder for speed runs / want to speed run everything no matter what.

Yeah. It's my fault for not being in a FC because I get terrible social anxiety about stuff like that (making a commitment when I might drop the game tomorrow) and also Squeenix's for tying so many tomestones to a run. Of course, if they didn't do that then would I have found anyone at all? It's a tough one, but it was a sad way to finish out.

Can anyone help me with weaving basics? I don't get this shit at all, yet I'm already level 30. What does the 'condition' of the craft signify and why does it change? Why does the actual visual thing glow red sometimes? What makes it likely to explode? What are the better abilities?

Seriously, I've managed to make a couple of HQs but in general I have no idea what I'm doing. I figure if I learn this then I'll have learned them all.

Yeah. It's my fault for not being in a FC because I get terrible social anxiety about stuff like that (making a commitment when I might drop the game tomorrow) and also Squeenix's for tying so many tomestones to a run. Of course, if they didn't do that then would I have found anyone at all? It's a tough one, but it was a sad way to finish out.

My experience got infinitely better when I joined a FC. Mine is a small one (not the GAF one) and it means we all pretty much know each other. They're insanely helpful, have made me tons of gear, walked me through tons of different stuff. You're welcome to join if you like but no pressure. :))

Griss

My experience got infinitely better when I joined a FC. Mine is a small one (not the GAF one) and it means we all pretty much know each other. They're insanely helpful, have made me tons of gear, walked me through tons of different stuff. You're welcome to join if you like but no pressure. :))

Ah thanks, that's nice of you. Unfortunately my main's on Zodiark as I thought it was best if I went EU, being in Ireland and all. Cheers though.

IvorB

I'm watching the cut scenes; I don't care. People can just wait or go ahead. Fighting the battle without the preceding cut scene would just suck. It sucks watching the cut scene and missing the battle but then at least you've seen it and you can always rerun the battle.

Though the last major story battle I did I was busy watching the cut scene and the game locked me out of the area. The battle was still going but I could not join. That's not right.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I'm watching the cut scenes; I don't care. People can just wait or go ahead. Fighting the battle without the preceding cut scene would just suck. It sucks watching the cut scene and missing the battle but then at least you've seen it and you can always rerun the battle.

Though the last major story battle I did I was busy watching the cut scene and the game locked me out of the area. The battle was still going but I could not join. That's not right.
I hate this. Dungeon Roulette seems to have brought in so much rushing :/

I played a different character at launch and back then nearly everyone took it at a good pace, tanks marked targets, people explained tactics. Now every one of my dungeons has been a sprint. It's efficient, sure, but it isn't satisfying or engaging.

I hope I've just had a bad run and things improve. I also think they should give a "Never skip cutscenes" option that prevents party members jumping ahead if it's your first time.

jiggle

Duration affects how many actions you can make before the craft fails or completes.
Progress determines the completion of ur craft. It must be maxed out before duration runs out
Quality affects the hq% of your craft as well as bestowing bonus xp
Hq% is self explanatory, though the % it displays is not the actual numeric odds of getting HQ

In a typical craft
You will want to increase the quality as high as possible before completing it

White/red/rainbow/black glows: 100%/150%/400%/50%(something like that) on your quality increasing actions
black glow always follows rainbow

IvorB

I played a different character at launch and back then nearly everyone took it at a good pace, tanks marked targets, people explained tactics. Now every one of my dungeons has been a sprint. It's efficient, sure, but it isn't satisfying or engaging.

I hope I've just had a bad run and things improve. I also think they should give a "Never skip cutscenes" option that prevents party members jumping ahead if it's your first time.

To be honest most of my dungeon runs have ranged from good to amazing. But yeah there should be a way to enforce cut scene waiting on the first time. They do it for primal battles that I've done.

The whole "gotta go fast" mentality of the playerbase lately bugs the shit out of me. I will speedrun/do massive pulls if the party wants me to, but if it looks like the healer's gear is not up to snuff (I'm talkin' fresh 50 AF with 40-something accessories) then.. no. And I've had a DPS bitch and moan to me about it. I usually ask them politely if they would like me to drop Defiance so that I can DPS and they can tank with their faces. USUALLY WORKS.

If it says it's someone's first time through I always ask if boss explanations are needed for the newbie's sake, but more often than not it turns out to be an alt. xD

IvorB

Since commenting in this thread is the closest I can get to playing right now, I thought I might ask a few questions for any fellow mages out there.

-Accuracy stat. It says it affects magical attacks but all my attacks always hit so is this stat even relevant for magic users.

-Two handed staff or wand-and-shield? What's everybody's feeling on this?

dramatis

Since commenting in this thread is the closest I can get to playing right now, I thought I might ask a few questions for any fellow mages out there.

-Accuracy stat. It says it affects magical attacks but all my attacks always hit so is this stat even relevant for magic users.

-Two handed staff or wand-and-shield? What's everybody's feeling on this?
It's required for heavy duty endgame content, where even spells can miss (ask some scholars/white mages what they think about trying to Miasma/Stone some dreads lol). It's apparently become significant enough that endgame healer weapons come with accuracy now. For casters, I imagine the same.

There's always a particular best-in-slot (bis) for the job, so you usually play with one or the other type of weapon depending on if 1) you have the weapon and 2) it is better than other combinations in your possession. Adjustments will be needed for accuracy.

aceface

The whole "gotta go fast" mentality of the playerbase lately bugs the shit out of me. I will speedrun/do massive pulls if the party wants me to, but if it looks like the healer's gear is not up to snuff (I'm talkin' fresh 50 AF with 40-something accessories) then.. no. And I've had a DPS bitch and moan to me about it. I usually ask them politely if they would like me to drop Defiance so that I can DPS and they can tank with their faces. USUALLY WORKS.

If it says it's someone's first time through I always ask if boss explanations are needed for the newbie's sake, but more often than not it turns out to be an alt. xD

People want to go fast because they are running the same dungeon for the 1000th time and want to get it over quick for their tomes. I understand this BUT if they want to speedrun they should find a party to go in with them understanding that's the deal. In my experience, speedrunning in a DF party only leads to it taking longer because there's always at least one player (this has been me at times) that doesn't know what to do, what enemies to avoid and lockout, etc. So you end up wiping and it takes twice as long as if you had just done it the normal way.

Can someone tell me up to how many players the story raids are up to? I'm in a party with 3 people so raids have been going just fine so far as in the 4 party raids we pretty much dictate where to go. Are there raids with more players towards the end of the story? Or are 4+ player raids endgame only?

IMBored

Can someone tell me up to how many players the story raids are up to? I'm in a party with 3 people so raids have been going just fine so far as in the 4 party raids we pretty much dictate where to go. Are there raids with more players towards the end of the story? Or are 4+ player raids endgame only?

The final trial and dungeons of the story are 8 players, as are the hard mode primals and coil turns. Then there's Crystal tower, that is 32 playesr, separated in 8 man alliances.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

I can only speak for WoW.. so maybe someone can fix this for FFXIV.

In wow you had Hit Rating. from levels 1-90 against same level mobs hit rating essentially always come out to 100% or close enough to it. Even against mobs 1-2 levels higher I believe it was always over 90%. However in end game content, they had the "skull" level of mob (boss). This type of mob reduced your hit rating drastically, meaning you needed to carry more Hit to get to 100%.

As a result in WoW, Hit was always top priority for gearing up to 100% on bosses, and then once at 100% all other stats weighted normally.

so while leveling, no accuracy probably means next to nothing. but in the end game you'll need to stack accuracy up to the point that you are at or within a fractional point of 100%.

To be honest most of my dungeon runs have ranged from good to amazing. But yeah there should be a way to enforce cut scene waiting on the first time. They do it for primal battles that I've done.

I watch cutscenes (currently at Cape Westwind) and even I say forced waiting is a big hell no.

One of two things will happen. They'll either die or win. If they die, well, that's on them for not waiting, not you. If they win, well no one likes being locked out of a fight nut you/I mad our choice to watch the cutscene, and we'll have PLENTY of opportunities after to fight that boss again.

I think the ONLY time it ever affected me was in the middle of a cutscene "blah blah will be locked out in 15 seconds" came up and I was like "lol. dumb asses". yup. they died. after I was like "sorry I was in the cutscene" and the tank said "no it was my bad. I should have looked or done a ready check first. no worries." then again I'm a healer so if they do proceed without me there will probably be tears.

IvorB

It's required for heavy duty endgame content, where even spells can miss (ask some scholars/white mages what they think about trying to Miasma/Stone some dreads lol). It's apparently become significant enough that endgame healer weapons come with accuracy now. For casters, I imagine the same.

There's always a particular best-in-slot (bis) for the job, so you usually play with one or the other type of weapon depending on if 1) you have the weapon and 2) it is better than other combinations in your possession. Adjustments will be needed for accuracy.

Okay cool. Fair enough. Missing with spells sounds rough with the amount of time they take :-(

I had two weapons that were pretty equal but staff was slightly higher damage. I didn't really know how heavily to weight carrying a shield in my descisioning.

I can only speak for WoW.. so maybe someone can fix this for FFXIV.

In wow you had Hit Rating. from levels 1-90 against same level mobs hit rating essentially always come out to 100% or close enough to it. Even against mobs 1-2 levels higher I believe it was always over 90%. However in end game content, they had the "skull" level of mob (boss). This type of mob reduced your hit rating drastically, meaning you needed to carry more Hit to get to 100%.

As a result in WoW, Hit was always top priority for gearing up to 100% on bosses, and then once at 100% all other stats weighted normally.

so while leveling, no accuracy probably means next to nothing. but in the end game you'll need to stack accuracy up to the point that you are at or within a fractional point of 100%.

I watch cutscenes (currently at Cape Westwind) and even I say forced waiting is a big hell no.

One of two things will happen. They'll either die or win. If they die, well, that's on them for not waiting, not you. If they win, well no one likes being locked out of a fight nut you/I mad our choice to watch the cutscene, and we'll have PLENTY of opportunities after to fight that boss again.

I think the ONLY time it ever affected me was in the middle of a cutscene "blah blah will be locked out in 15 seconds" came up and I was like "lol. dumb asses". yup. they died. after I was like "sorry I was in the cutscene" and the tank said "no it was my bad. I should have looked or done a ready check first. no worries." then again I'm a healer so if they do proceed without me there will probably be tears.

Yeah you can always fight the boss again which is what I just do.

system11

You can watch the cut scenes from every story mission and dungeon in inn rooms, if you felt pressured to skip them.

Praetorium is the worst, if you stand still for a moment in that you won't have any idea what people are doing.

I love being the MT for stuff like Castrum Meridianum and Praetorium because I can (to some extent) set the pace. Only the most audacious groups will pull a boss ahead of my direction if I'm waiting for someone new to watch their cutscenes. Of course, I'll admit to feeling pressured and, at times, taking the pull even while new players were watching scenes. I hated that about my first time through, but it's tough to say 'No' to 6 voices telling you to pull when only one (usually silent) voice is watching.

Really looking forward to taking my lvl 49 GF through Praetorium. I'll ask some FC buddies to come along and we'll clear the whole place at the intended pace. So great.

Now with picture
EAEMh85.jpg

..It's the Twelve's wood.

butt_head.jpg

People want to go fast because they are running the same dungeon for the 1000th time and want to get it over quick for their tomes. I understand this BUT if they want to speedrun they should find a party to go in with them understanding that's the deal. In my experience, speedrunning in a DF party only leads to it taking longer because there's always at least one player (this has been me at times) that doesn't know what to do, what enemies to avoid and lockout, etc. So you end up wiping and it takes twice as long as if you had just done it the normal way.

I completely agree. I don't have anything against speedruns in general. Just people who insist on it regardless of the rest of the party's (especially the healer's) gear.

So I did my first 8 man content (the boss fight) and man what a clusterfuck. I have no idea what happened, probably got hit by every single AoE and attack there was, yet my health never went below half and the fight was over in a second. So I have no idea if the fight even had interesting mechanics or not.

A little disappointing if I'm being honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom