• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gotten 4 classes to lvl 15 and the experience varies wildly. Very glad I went with Arcanist/Summoner to start with, suits me to a tee. Conjurer/White Mage, on the other hand... never again. Not even one more level, not ever.

Summoner took a while to grow on me, but man is it fun.

Artorias

Banned
Does anyone have an opinion on which healer is easier or funner to play? I haven't played a healer in an MMO since the start of WoW and I'm a little intimidated.

Does anyone have an opinion on which healer is easier or funner to play? I haven't played a healer in an MMO since the start of WoW and I'm a little intimidated.

both aren't bad. WHM though you have to watch mana consumption b/c they don't have aetherflow and shroud is a long way away. You don't become a scholar till level 30 so you have to wait as a dps in the duty finder. At least with lower level dungeons if you are a sch you can let the fairy heal while dps.

Pretty much the main difference between the sch/whm is that whm is more reactive healing while scholar is more proactive healing

WHM is generally easier to play than SCH. It's a fairly easy job to learn.

Mastering it will take time though.

CLBridges

This is where I'm at currently.
CqHfbdo.png

I'd say as far as fun goes in the low levels, Pugilist > Lancer = Archer > Arcanist = Conjurer > Gladiator = Marauder > Watching Paint Dry > Thaumaturge

I have leveled Pugilist, Arcanist, and Conjurer up to higher levels on other servers, so it's not the most fair comparison.

I felt the same way about THM while I was leveling that class lol. But, once I got to around level 40ish and now 50, I'm having a lot of fun with it. And, behind my Bard, I'm thinking this will be my 2nd go to class to play with.

Phlebas

Banned
Was saying goodbye to my FC guys, a dude mentions to give a last batch of lvl 45 gear a chance to convert into the materia i need before switching servers

WELP

NH0zEjj.gif

Got 3 QuickTongue Materia III for 6 converts

I'M SO FUCKIN HAPPY RIGHT NOW

(and a free 180k from the one i sold)

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAS

Congrats Man, those prices are crazy tho

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Hit 38 on my SMN tonight. Starting to feel a bit of a grind - the next story quest opens at 39 and I'm less than halfway there. Some dungeon runs/FATEs are in my future, it seems.

And on that note, it's a shame that Titan-egi will be rarely used in parties because of his tank pet status. His design is great, way better than Ifrit-egi.

Hit 38 on my SMN tonight. Starting to feel a bit of a grind - the next story quest opens at 39 and I'm less than halfway there. Some dungeon runs/FATEs are in my future, it seems.

And on that note, it's a shame that Titan-egi will be rarely used in parties because of his tank pet status. His design is great, way better than Ifrit-egi.

This is one thing I don't like about the Summoner job's design. For the most part, with few exceptions, it seems like most SMNs stick with Garuda once they get it and never look back, (At least for parties.) Somebody who plays SMN more than I do might chime in, but that's how it seems from where I'm standing.

Edit: Oh, one thing I joined in a PF group the other day was an all-SMN run of Brayflox HM. xD That was different. So much Titan. ALL of the Titan.

PARANO1A

Well, I hit 50 today with my first class - SMN. And I suppose that means I have a SCH at 50 after a few quests too. I'm still in my first 30 days too. It wasn't a grind at all - after learning that the duty roulette gives massive XP once a day I basically did quests around the place as well as the main story. This is the first time I've hit level cap in an MMO.

Not sure what next though - I'm tempted to try something new like a tank-type class. I think I'll finish the story quest and see where it lands me. It's a shame I'm not on Ultros since having a community for tips and whatnot would be good..

This is one thing I don't like about the Summoner job's design. For the most part, with few exceptions, it seems like most SMNs stick with Garuda once they get it and never look back, (At least for parties.) Somebody who plays SMN more than I do might chime in, but that's how it seems from where I'm standing.

Edit: Oh, one thing I joined in a PF group the other day was an all-SMN run of Brayflox HM. xD That was different. So much Titan. ALL of the Titan.

SMN's primary damage is damage over time magic...or dots to be specific. Garuda has a skill that extends the duration of those dots. Comes in handy after you've been boosted with Raging Strikes and an int potion.

Phlebas

Banned
Well, I hit 50 today with my first class - SMN. And I suppose that means I have a SCH at 50 after a few quests too. I'm still in my first 30 days too. It wasn't a grind at all - after learning that the duty roulette gives massive XP once a day I basically did quests around the place as well as the main story. This is the first time I've hit level cap in an MMO.

Not sure what next though - I'm tempted to try something new like a tank-type class. I think I'll finish the story quest and see where it lands me. It's a shame I'm not on Ultros since having a community for tips and whatnot would be good..

What server are you on? If you're on Gilgamesh send me a PM and I can probably help you out.

Dunan

I didn't think it was possible to lose a lot of progress in an auto-saving game like this, but somehow yesterday I managed it.

I was almost all the way through the long, involved, overstaying-its-welcome Relic Quest, and I reset all my progress.

How did I manage that? I abandoned the quest because I thought the game had hit a big, not knowing that abandoning it means losing everything all the way back to first meeting Gerolt in Hyrstmill, not just the most recent part of the quest, which is what happens when you abandon just about any other quest.

A few months ago when I first got the game, I was doing a quest in Coerthas that has you looking for evidence that Imperials are in the area -- discarded weapons and such -- and I got killed while doing it. Upon going back, only three of the destinations were visit-able and it turned out that things were just bugged and I had to abandon it and do it again. So yesterday when the game wanted me to go to Coerthas to fight Garuda in Hard Mode, and gave me a "quest progress destination" icon on the world map but not on the local map, and when I couldn't find any place to activate the battle (like I just had to earlier with Dhorme Chimera), I assumed that the same thing was happening. Went back to talk to Gerolt and saw that he really did want me to go to Coerthas. But no icon on the map and no duty in Duty Finder.

Must be a bug somewhere again. I thought I'd abandon this last step and have Gerolt issue it to me again.

But when I abandoned it and spoke to Gerolt again... it was as if I'd never met him before!

The Sanguine Scepter that I'd acquired, spiritbonded, and materia bonded (thanks once again, Ravishan!): gone. The battle with Chimera: had to go activate it again. The 24 U'Ghomoro mine thugs I'd beaten up? Have to go again. Have to go to Amdapor Keep again. Have to go see Rowena again. Have to go to Halatali and activate the Hydra fight, then do the fight, again.

Helpful FC Gaffers explained that the map icon is in Coerthas, but you actually have to go to the unmarked Waking Sands to activate that battle.

Unbelievable. In the exact area where a bug had disrupted a previous quest, making me think that to abandon was the right thing to do. And I lose not just the most recent step, which would make sense, but the whole line of quests.

If it were anything other than the relic weapon, I'd probably just forget about it. And if I stop playing the game, I'll never come back. So I've got to get back on the horse today and do it again.

It's one part my fault but several parts bad game design. What were they thinking with putting the icon in the wrong area and letting people inadvertently erase hours upon hours of progress if they misunderstand that?

(Any parties recruiting for Amdapor, then Hydra, then Ifrit HM? ;_;)

Hystzen

Armorer, blacksmith or goldsmith?

Reached 50 with Dragoon so wanting something that help make some money with craft and play game a different way for a while

Winter John

I've got a lvl 34 white mage that's become a scholar I think. Just wondering what happens to the Black Mage because I have one of those at lvl 32

dramatis

How did I manage that? I abandoned the quest because I thought the game had hit a big, not knowing that abandoning it means losing everything all the way back to first meeting Gerolt in Hyrstmill, not just the most recent part of the quest, which is what happens when you abandon just about any other quest.

Must be a bug somewhere again. I thought I'd abandon this last step and have Gerolt issue it to me again.

The Sanguine Scepter that I'd acquired, spiritbonded, and materia bonded (thanks once again, Ravishan!): gone. The battle with Chimera: had to go activate it again. The 24 U'Ghomoro mine thugs I'd beaten up? Have to go again. Have to go to Amdapor Keep again. Have to go see Rowena again. Have to go to Halatali and activate the Hydra fight, then do the fight, again.

Helpful FC Gaffers explained that the map icon is in Coerthas, but you actually have to go to the unmarked Waking Sands to activate that battle.

Unbelievable. In the exact area where a bug had disrupted a previous quest, making me think that to abandon was the right thing to do. And I lose not just the most recent step, which would make sense, but the whole line of quests.

If it were anything other than the relic weapon, I'd probably just forget about it. And if I stop playing the game, I'll never come back. So I've got to get back on the horse today and do it again.

It's one part my fault but several parts bad game design. What were they thinking with putting the icon in the wrong area and letting people inadvertently erase hours upon hours of progress if they misunderstand that?
The quest text in the journal covers the entirety of the quest progress, and the Relic Reborn one is literally a wall of text, so abandoning it would naturally abandon all of that. You're not the first to accidentally abandon the quest, but I think the previous abandons were not related to your issue.

I suppose what you were confused about and probably should have asked in FC first, is that Ifrit Hard Mode, Garuda Hard Mode, and Titan Hard Mode are unlocked via a series of quests starting from the Waking Sands. The Relic Reborn quests encompass a whole other bunch of stuff AND beating all three hard modes. You were taking what the NPC said too literally. That's why the quest icon isn't in the wrong area, it's just that the two quests are related to each other and you had to do the Waking Sands one first before you could complete your Relic Reborn one.

I recommend before assuming something is a bug to ask FC first if this or that should be happening here or there.

Note: you don't need to spiritbond the Sanguine Scepter to get it melded. In fact, you can just get it made and melded and hand it in without ever using it.

dramatis

Thanks. I know what they've become, because I've already become them. I was just wondering what they progress to
The problem is that white mage doesn't turn into scholar. What tigerkiddo outlined is what they "progress to". Black Mage doesn't turn into anything at lvl 32, because it is already the end product of a Thaumaturge. Moreover, you don't just become something after a degree of leveling, you have to do job quests to obtain the job.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't think it was possible to lose a lot of progress in an auto-saving game like this, but somehow yesterday I managed it.

I was almost all the way through the long, involved, overstaying-its-welcome Relic Quest, and I reset all my progress.

A few months ago when I first got the game, I was doing a quest in Coerthas that has you looking for evidence that Imperials are in the area -- discarded weapons and such -- and I got killed while doing it. Upon going back, only three of the destinations were visit-able and it turned out that things were just bugged and I had to abandon it and do it again. So yesterday when the game wanted me to go to Coerthas to fight Garuda in Hard Mode, and gave me a "quest progress destination" icon on the world map but not on the local map, and when I couldn't find any place to activate the battle (like I just had to earlier with Dhorme Chimera), I assumed that the same thing was happening. Went back to talk to Gerolt and saw that he really did want me to go to Coerthas. But no icon on the map and no duty in Duty Finder.

But when I abandoned it and spoke to Gerolt again... it was as if I'd never met him before!

(Any parties recruiting for Amdapor, then Hydra, then Ifrit HM? ;_;)

You should contact support and see if they can help you. Hope you don't have to do it all again.

dcye

Man the relic quest isn't that long. My Bard one took me like 3 hours and 45 mins of that was waiting in a Hydra DF queue in the dead of night server time.

IvorB

right, those were two separate tips:

/fc & /p will change who you talk to

changing filters in your config screen will change what you hear & allow you to do what i did:

general tab is just fc chat, tells are turned off

battle tab is just party, with pretty much everything turned off except loot roll info & party chat

Okay I will give that a go. Thanks!

Did you set up a new chat tab and set it to show only party chat, etc? If you've done all that, then all you need to do is click on that new tab to use it. When you're done with the party, click back to General tab for fc chat or whatever.

I haven't tried that. Thanks for the tip. I didn't know I could set up a fresh chat box tab.

Edit: misread. Don't worry, those early levels on archer will go by quick. Only have to get it to 15.

Yeah they went by pretty quick and were surprisingly enjoyable. It was nice to just level and play without having to deal with some story which totally doesn't fit with the game.

I think my dude looks quite spiffy as an archer:

94lEIS3.jpg

Griss

What should I do with high level gear once I outgrow it? Convert everything? And when I get a piece of gear that's high level but worse than what I have (say a lvl 55 piece compared to my lvl 60 piece) is it worth it to use it, spiritbond it and convert it?

EDIT: Should I keep my cool looking artifact gear (lvl50-55) for the glamour system? (A system I don't understand yet, but still.)

Dunan

The Relic Reborn quests encompass a whole other bunch of stuff AND beating all three hard modes. You were taking what the NPC said too literally. That's why the quest icon isn't in the wrong area, it's just that the two quests are related to each other and you had to do the Waking Sands one first before you could complete your Relic Reborn one.

If the icon isn't in the wrong area, then it's the wrong color: if I haven't done some prerequisite, the icon should be red with a "locked" icon, not a gold "go here to progress" icon.

And the gold icon appears in the big world map but doesn't appear when you select the local map. I don't think the game ever does this exact thing at any other time.

Had I not experienced a bugged quest in that exact area, I probably would have assumed I was doing something wrong.

Note: you don't need to spiritbond the Sanguine Scepter to get it melded. In fact, you can just get it made and melded and hand it in without ever using it.

I only regret spiritbonding it because I could have at least gotten an expensive materia out of it rather than losing it entirely. I already bought another one (HQ; 27,000 gil) and got the materia melded.

You should contact support and see if they can help you. Hope you don't have to do it all again.

Nah; I'll just do it again. It's not as much work as it felt like, because I had also raised my goldsmithing abilities (thinking that I'd have to meld the materia myself) over several days. It'll take a few hours to fo the dungeons and monsters over again, but they'll be easier now that I've experienced them.

Alucrid

Banned
If the icon isn't in the wrong area, then it's the wrong color: if I haven't done some prerequisite, the icon should be red with a "locked" icon, not a gold "go here to progress" icon.

And the gold icon appears in the big world map but doesn't appear when you select the local map. I don't think the game ever does this exact thing at any other time.

Had I not experienced a bugged quest in that exact area, I probably would have assumed I was doing something wrong.

I only regret spiritbonding it because I could have at least gotten an expensive materia out of it rather than losing it entirely. I already bought another one (HQ; 27,000 gil) and got the materia melded.

Nah; I'll just do it again. It's not as much work as it felt like, because I had also raised my goldsmithing abilities (thinking that I'd have to meld the materia myself) over several days. It'll take a few hours to fo the dungeons and monsters over again, but they'll be easier now that I've experienced them.

you lose the weapon

Epcott

Wtf, I finally made it to Garuda, and Duty Finder sticks me in there with only one person (who refuses to fight). Is this a glitch?

Hasney

Oh man just remembered I didn't do my dailies yesterday and now PSN is not letting me sign on. :(

Yeah, it went down about 9ish GMT while I was getting ready to go out and just gone to play now and it says still down for maintenance. Not sure if it's been up in the meantime.

plake

Yeah, it went down about 9ish GMT while I was getting ready to go out and just gone to play now and it says still down for maintenance. Not sure if it's been up in the meantime.

Thanks. Wow, down all day then. Old Sony is back... I guess I'll go back to my offline backlog i.e. Crysis 3.

Edit: Whatthehell, my PS3 is online?

TheFatMan

What should I do with high level gear once I outgrow it? Convert everything? And when I get a piece of gear that's high level but worse than what I have (say a lvl 55 piece compared to my lvl 60 piece) is it worth it to use it, spiritbond it and convert it?

EDIT: Should I keep my cool looking artifact gear (lvl50-55) for the glamour system? (A system I don't understand yet, but still.)

Almost any "high" level gear will not be convertible. Basic rule of thumb is, if it's blue and purchased with tome-stones or from a dungeon, you can't convert it. Crafted gear is the only i50+ gear you can convert that I can think of.

As for what to do with all that stuff, some of it can be stuck in your storage chest (Talk to the inn keeper at any city and you will find the armoire in your inn room). The rest you can either stick on your retainers for glamouring at a later point or just delete it from existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom