• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran Amdapor Keep last night for the first time since launch - talk about nerfed! I remember the two bees on the Demon Wall being a problem for a lot of groups.

IvorB

Leves for Battle classes are generally a waste of time unless you just want to top off a level. You can do the Low level roulette, run dungeons, run in FATE parties and complete Beastman dailies for your level.

I quite enjoy Levequests. and I just can't get enough of the music. Best track in the game.

Do dungeons, get caught up on your class quests, get caught up on your Grand Company as they send you to dungeons anyhow, do FATEs for XP and GC Seals, challenge log, etc.

Wait... Grand Company quests unlock dungeons?

Hi guys,

my free 1 month on PS4 is at its end. The game is amazingly fun with makes me want to subscribe for another 2 months. I'm not sure where to put in the code from the time card to activate it. I know this is a stupid question I just want to know how is it on MogStation site??

Man, nearly solo dps'd and tanked Cutter's Cry Chimera from 50 percent to death as WAR but I made the wrong button press by accident and death...><

That Cyclops FATE boss in Cortheas certainly teaches you about how to deal with that Aurum Vale boss, I was lucky some gaffers were there with heals.

But tanking is so much easier now that I have Defiance, makes things a lot more easier.

Sophia

In order to get the final GC rank you'll need to go to Dzemael Darkhold and Aurum Vale, but you can get to those places without the GC quests.

Dzemael Darkhold at least has two unlock methods. You can either unlock it from a quest in Coerthas, or unlock it from your Grand Company. It's worth doing for the experience.

Number45

Hi guys,

my free 1 month on PS4 is at its end. The game is amazingly fun with makes me want to subscribe for another 2 months. I'm not sure where to put in the code from the time card to activate it. I know this is a stupid question I just want to know how is it on MogStation site??
On the first page when you login to Mogstation there's a "Subscription Payment: Game Time Card" link. It should be in there.

But tanking is so much easier now that I have Defiance, makes things a lot more easier.
Yup, made a HUGE difference.

Dzemael Darkhold at least has two unlock methods. You can either unlock it from a quest in Coerthas, or unlock it from your Grand Company. It's worth doing for the experience.
Yeah, I actually unlocked both dungeons both ways for the free XP.

Hystzen

Speaking of Dzemael what's up with people in party finder doing first room farms?

What they farming? Myth?

Always see at least 2 or 3 parties for it

Sophia

Exp. Supposedly farming that first room is good exp but I never tried it myself.

I tried it for Aurum Vale while leveling my White Mage to 50, back when people started doing it. It was pretty lackluster, as the group has to move fairly fast to make it good XP.

system11

Wow that helped. If there are any bards out there who haven't yet done any Lancer then get it out of the way, I used leve quests above my level and good equipment to make shorter work of it. The TP restoration skill is like a breath of fresh air in AOE heavy runs.

And now for some barding questions.

I've done loads of reading around, and the consensus /seems/ to be that skill speed isn't that important, yet when I've tested by dropping a chunk of it, it feels really noticeable. The stats and equipment are a balancing act, is it valid to sacrifice a few (3) points of dex to get 20+ crit, is determination that important? Would anyone who has been doing t5 onwards coil runs on bard mind sharing their stats and experience?

Hystzen

Exp farming in dungeons man that must be dull and take ages. As was pointed out in thread when I asking about fast level ups for final 4 levels it not that hard took me less then 2 days (be less then that but was busy).

The sanctuary boost with daily roulette low level is pretty much all needed

We dropped Titan the first time yesterday. What a ride. Level 36 with m Lancer now. This game is eating all my free time. I knew I shouldn't have started an MMO.

But it's sooooo damn fun. Loving it.

Capeo

Banned
Speaking of Dzemael what's up with people in party finder doing first room farms?

What they farming? Myth?

Always see at least 2 or 3 parties for it

You pull everything in the first zone to the final room prior to the first boss and everyone stands in the light of crystal and AOE down everything at once. The light gives you a huge defensive buff. It only takes a couple minutes. Supposedly it's the fastest way to get XP at that level.

dcye

Dex over all other stats. I try to avoid skill speed builds just because I have enough going on as it is and rarely am I waiting for a GCD to end to use something, but people have had good results from full SS builds. I tend to prioritize crit over det but honestly they're about the same level of importance as your dots will always be up and their damage is upped by determination. Jl

Basically, my advice is just to make sure you have hit the acc cap. Then just go for ilvl until to have multiple options to worry about it.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Dex over all other stats. I try to avoid skill speed builds just because I have enough going on as it is and rarely am I waiting for a GCD to end to use something, but people have had good results from full SS builds. I tend to prioritize crit over det but honestly they're about the same level of importance as your dots will always be up and their damage is upped by determination. Jl

Basically, my advice is just to make sure you have hit the acc cap. Then just go for ilvl until to have multiple options to worry about it.

Some pieces that are BiS have SS, can do anything about that yet

(2.2 BiS) Legs, Feet, Bracelet, and Ring, SE really wants you to burn your TP

GraveRobberX

Can't stop playing this game... I took the whole week off from work just to play it.

I just LOVE when I get addicted to a fun game and have such a good time :p

The Praiseworthy
(Today, 08:07 AM)

QUUjeBG.jpg

dcye

Some pieces that are BiS have SS, can do anything about that yet

(2.2 BiS) Legs, Feet, Bracelet, and Ring, SE really wants you to burn your TP

Obviously I'm not going to be able to avoid the stat completely, I just try to avoid it if I have a viable alternative. Don't feel the need for a faster GCD personally.

Windtrick

Wow that helped. If there are any bards out there who haven't yet done any Lancer then get it out of the way, I used leve quests above my level and good equipment to make shorter work of it. The TP restoration skill is like a breath of fresh air in AOE heavy runs.

And now for a barding question.

I've done loads of reading around, and the consensus /seems/ to be that skill speed isn't that important, yet when I've tested by dropping a chunk of it, it feels really noticeable. The stats and equipment are a balancing act, is it valid to sacrifice a few (3) points of dex to get 20+ crit, is determination that important? Would anyone who has been doing t5 onwards coil runs on bard mind sharing their stats and experience?

The most important secondary stat for any class, including Bard, that wants to run Coil is accuracy. After you've hit the needed accuracy for the coil turn, you can then start looking at other stats. One very important note about Bards is that we're very Crit Chance RNG dependent, as our DoT crits are the means to proc Bloodletter without having to wait for the full CD.

For <5min or so encounters, skill speed is useful but extremely inefficient in the second coil due to the long encounters. You'll find yourself TP starved even with constant usage of Invigorate due to RNG factors like Straighter Shot procs since Bards dont have many TP neutral abilities. Also keep in mind that SS only affects GCD abilities and not other damage such as our Auto Attacks. As of now, if I recall correctly, Bards cant reach sub 2sec GCD cooldown.

Generally, DET is the best secondary stat marginally over crit chance, but it does use up more of an item's stat budget than crit per point. It's not doubly effective, so you'd be better off with an item such as the High Allagan pants of aiming instead of the Sold Tome equivalent: Auroral Brais. Basically, stacking DET may seem like a good idea, but it's not, especially for Bards since we want that delicious Crit RNG as well and a mix of other secondaries.

This is a very awesome tool for looking at gear sets: http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/

Also to answer your question concerning sacrificing DEX: No, DEX is your main primary stat which affects your damage across all outputs. I'd share my current stats, but I'm still in the process of building my gear for T8 and T9. My end goal is this right now: http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/MLS3 playing around, this set helps attain a good acc cap for T9 while also achieving the max crit rate without the Rosenbogen. Of course, you can use the tool to substitute gear pieces in case your luck with coil drops isn't too hot like me...

Good luck fellow bard. :D

IMBored

I'm rapidly approaching the myth cap, I don't have all atmas yet and bought all the equipment needed for my job. What should I buy next with myth, don't want to waste it.

Windtrick

I'm rapidly approaching the myth cap, I don't have all atmas yet and bought all the equipment needed for my job. What should I buy next with myth, don't want to waste it.

There are myth crafting items that you can buy, or you could start gearing another class/getting a relic zenith.

Hasney

Or do nothing but grind for atma until you get that. That's what I'm doing and after not getting an atma for 13 hours, my sanity is fine...

Promise...

AHAHAHAHA I LIKE EATING FECES

Or do nothing but grind for atma until you get that. That's what I'm doing and after not getting an atma for 13 hours, my sanity is fine...

Promise...

AHAHAHAHA I LIKE EATING FECES

I suppose your right. I mean a little upgrade won't kill the grind. I mean hell Ill be happy with just a 10% drop rate. Well I have 2 now, 10 more to go.

Hasney

I suppose your right. I mean a little upgrade won't kill the grind. I mean hell Ill be happy with just a 10% drop rate. Well I have 2 now, 10 more to go.

It seemed like a great idea when I got 5 in a day.

Then it took me 13 hours in the North Shroud and have spent about 8 hours in Central Thanalan with no luck. Still, just the final 2 to go.

It seemed like a great idea when I got 5 in a day.

Then it took me 13 hours in the North Shroud and have spent about 8 hours in Central Thanalan with no luck. Still, just the final 2 to go.

Damn, a friend of mine told to start in the drydocks area first. Since there is only one crystal there to teleport. That place is supposedly the longest place to grind for one.

IMBored

I have 5 but haven't gotten one for a week now, I don't know if I want to just farm for them and forego all else for 3 or 4 days.

Damn, a friend of mine told to start in the drydocks area first. Since there is only one crystal there to teleport. That place is supposedly the longest place to grind for one.

Don't worry, there are many horrible places to farm. It all depends on RNG.

system11

This is a very awesome tool for looking at gear sets: http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/

Also to answer your question concerning sacrificing DEX: No, DEX is your main primary stat which affects your damage across all outputs. I'd share my current stats, but I'm still in the process of building my gear for T8 and T9. My end goal is this right now: http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/MLS3 playing around, this set helps attain a good acc cap for T9 while also achieving the max crit rate without the Rosenbogen. Of course, you can use the tool to substitute gear pieces in case your luck with coil drops isn't too hot like me...

Good luck fellow bard. :D

Thanks, I've been using that site and I've started looking at the i90 crafted stuff due to the struggles with crit and accuracy loss on some of the soldiery gear. Trouble is it has lower dex and it's very expensive, hence the questions! Where I am right now upgrading various soldiery parts will cost me nearly 50 crit and it became obvious to me a while ago that we do rely on the crit based resets. My speed is 455ish and it feels about right in terms of fitting bloodletter/miserys between the GCD skills. I read that apparently that only works on /10 boundaries?

GraveRobberX

Buy a Scheelite or Saurian Skin for 500 myth, to remove a chunk
Both sell roughly 100K+, sometime 150K+, if none on market and you get lucky

If you just want to chip away a little slowly, buy Tawny Latex at 150 myth
Each goes for roughly 35K+
So buying 3, gives you 450 loss in the myth department, (saving you 50 myth if you just went for one of the 500 myth items)
Sometimes 3 Tawny's sell better than the myth item as a whole
Also Tawny's sell way faster, cause most need 6 for certain recipes, so they are always in demand

Just check the MB before buying from Vendor
If you see too many Scheelites and Saurian Skins, and see that price is getting undercut heavily, go check Tawny and see what it's selling for
Rarely do you see it, but sometime Scheelites get to sub 85K, and Tawny's 40K each, so buying 2 Tawnys (300 myth) and getting the same amount of gil for 500 myth item, saving you 200 myth in the process

Windtrick

Thanks, I've been using that site and I've started looking at the i90 crafted stuff due to the struggles with crit and accuracy loss on some of the soldiery gear. Trouble is it has lower dex and it's very expensive, hence the questions! Where I am right now upgrading various soldiery parts will cost me nearly 50 crit and it became obvious to me a while ago that we do rely on the crit based resets. My speed is 455ish and it feels about right in terms of fitting bloodletter/miserys between the GCD skills. I read that apparently that only works on /10 boundaries?

Ah, I see. What I'm doing is replacing my gear with higher ilvl pieces in slots that give a increase or an unchanged value for my accuracy for running the Second Coil. It's more beneficial to look at myth i90 than crafted i90 unless you have the funds for melding. First coil drops also have some pretty nifty accuracy values that are helpful. In some instances, it's better to not upgrade the gear slot to sold if you'll suffer a major deduction in accuracy which will hinder your efficiency in the second coil. This is my current gear progress for my bard: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/5912149/ The first thing I did was upgrade my acc for he much higher accuracy provided which I needed to run the second Coil. Using the Artemis Zenith, I'm in the safe zone with 498 accuracy for Second Coil, although I'm not sure what the exact acc cap is.

For your question on SS values, it doesn't seem to work only on /10 boundaries unless you're talking about noticeable increments. Here's a chart that should be very helpful:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqG_cUArVwt5dExEVEJIRmJHd2lrczg4cnZxTDVkM1E#gid=68

IMBored

Buy a Scheelite or Saurian Skin for 500 myth, to remove a chunk
Both sell roughly 100K+, sometime 150K+, if none on market and you get lucky

If you just want to chip away a little slowly, buy Tawny Latex at 150 myth
Each goes for roughly 35K+
So buying 3, gives you 450 loss in the myth department, (saving you 50 myth if you just went for one of the 500 myth items)
Sometimes 3 Tawny's sell better than the myth item as a whole
Also Tawny's sell way faster, cause most need 6 for certain recipes, so they are always in demand

Just check the MB before buying from Vendor
If you see too many Scheelites and Saurian Skins, and see that price is getting undercut heavily, go check Tawny and see what it's selling for
Rarely do you see it, but sometime Scheelites get to sub 85K, and Tawny's 40K each, so buying 2 Tawnys (300 myth) and getting the same amount of gil for 500 myth item, saving you 200 myth in the process

Thanks, I always need some gil, the furniture I sold yesterday barely made me 150K.

Ran Amdapor Keep last night for the first time since launch - talk about nerfed! I remember the two bees on the Demon Wall being a problem for a lot of groups.
Managed to beat the wall with only me (whm) and a blm while the other two died in the first repel. We didn't even need a LB.

It's been hit crazy hard with the nerf bat.

Dunan

Just wanted to give a shout out to all the wonderful Gaffers who made my re-attempts at the Relic Reborn quest an absolute breeze!

What I thought would be torturous ended up being acomplished in a single 3 1/2-hour session. And with Gaffers at every position, the Titan HM fight was an easy win even if I spent the last 90% of it looking up from the bottom of the pit!

And the BLM's relic weapon is well worth having; the damage increase is huge. Now for some more hard content!

XenoRaven

Exp farming in dungeons man that must be dull and take ages. As was pointed out in thread when I asking about fast level ups for final 4 levels it not that hard took me less then 2 days (be less then that but was busy).

The sanctuary boost with daily roulette low level is pretty much all needed
At level 49 I was getting roughly 50k exp (rested) every Dzemael run and it takes about 3 minutes each run. Factor in loading time and time re-entering the duty and it's about 3.5-4 minutes. That's a ton of exp in so little time. I don't know of any way that's faster.

Also as a healer or tank I don't find it to be that boring because you're pulling close to 20 mobs I think so you still have to pay attention.

Number45

Cool, thanks.

Are grand company quests worth doing at all? Haven't really touched on that?
You'll need quite a number of seals for the promotions, and I suspect it's by far the best source of ventures in the game as well (1k seals/5 ventures) so yeah I'd say it's worth it. Not much in the way of gear for you, but there'll be an ilvl 55 weapon you can use as soon as you hit 50 if you're max rank and have 7k seals to spare.

Just hit the lvl 49 story quest and I'm only 46. I was thinking about running dungeons and such, as I will probably find better gear than what I have anyway (and I really enjoy dungeons in FFXIV), but are there other recommended ways to go about it? I generally dislike leves, so if I can avoid doing that, that would be awesome.

There are also a ton of lvl 46-47 side quests that you could do. I got to 50 before I had a chance to do them, so now I'm saving them for my second class.

Just wanted to give a shout out to all the wonderful Gaffers who made my re-attempts at the Relic Reborn quest an absolute breeze!

What I thought would be torturous ended up being acomplished in a single 3 1/2-hour session. And with Gaffers at every position, the Titan HM fight was an easy win even if I spent the last 90% of it looking up from the bottom of the pit!

And the BLM's relic weapon is well worth having; the damage increase is huge. Now for some more hard content!

You're luckier than me. I couldn't find anyone to help me meld the materia to the weapon last night. Will try again tonight, hopefully with more luck.

Why do they keep nerfing stuff? This game is too easy as it is.

Up to what point have you played? Just curious.

On the topic of Amdapor Keep, though, for whatever reason, those bees (plus dodging the wall's mechanics/positioning to keep from falling off) was giving a lot of players a really hard time based on my experience. A lot of fresh 50 tanks didn't know how to deal with the bees. It's the dungeon that made me decide to start tanking so that I wouldn't have to deal with it, haha. Demon Wall is WAY too easy now.

Capeo

Banned
You're luckier than me. I couldn't find anyone to help me meld the materia to the weapon last night. Will try again tonight, hopefully with more luck.
Did you try Shouting in a main city or Toll? That's how I got my first relic meld before my FC had crafters of sufficient level to do it for me. One shout netted me four or five answers immediately.

Did you try Shouting in a main city or Toll? That's how I got my first relic meld before my FC had crafters of sufficient level to do it for me. One shout netted me four or five answers immediately.

I'll try that tonight. How much should I be paying for the service?

iammeiam

Why do they keep nerfing stuff? This game is too easy as it is.

I think part of it has to be because it would be twenty times harder for new players if they didn't nerf stuff. Roulette exists to basically bribe experienced players into rerunning old content to help increase the number of groups available for newer players. While a lot of experienced players are really nice and helpful and willing to explain, there's also a large chunk of the player base that is only there for the roulette bonus and wants to speedrun everything. Challenging mechanics that will wipe the group as newbies get acquainted will just cause the impatient people to abandon. Nerfing the dungeons makes them easier to get through and less likely to fall apart midway.

I got to listen to a healer and tank discuss the tank having bailed on a previous Pharos run because DPS was "too slow"--then later imply that anything under i90 was too low for an acceptably speedy Pharos run. Anyone that impatient won't want to redo Demon Wall until people get it down, so it gets nerfed.

Capeo

Banned
I'll try that tonight. How much should I be paying for the service?

I tipped 5K per meld. Prior, I did a little internet searching and it seemed 5K was the norm. Not sure if it's the norm for both or each though. I went with each and the person seemed quite happy with the tips. Oh, and make sure you have the catalyst as well. I forgot that the first time and had to run to the MB to grab some.

aceface

Ok guys, here's what's happening:

Yesterday, I decided to do the PS3->PS4 upgrade, followed all the steps on the US PS Blog, downloaded the client without any trouble. And now that's downloaded, when I input my Square Enix id credentials it presents me with the following:

"No valid service account is available to play FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.

In order to play, you must first purchase the digital download from the PlayStation Store or register a product code.

*Please restart the client for FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn."

And I don't get it. :[ To recap: I did the upgrade process through Mog Station, they gave me the product code which I then used at the PlayStation Store and the client downloaded successfully. What am I doing wrong, GAF?

From awhile ago but- are you logging into the PS4 with the same PSN account you used to play on the PS3?

I tipped 5K per meld. Prior, I did a little internet searching and it seemed 5K was the norm. Not sure if it's the norm for both or each though. I went with each and the person seemed quite happy with the tips. Oh, and make sure you have the catalyst as well. I forgot that the first time and had to run to the MB to grab some.

Thanks. I had completely forgotten about the catalyst.

system11

Ah, I see. What I'm doing is replacing my gear with higher ilvl pieces in slots that give a increase or an unchanged value for my accuracy for running the Second Coil. It's more beneficial to look at myth i90 than crafted i90 unless you have the funds for melding. First coil drops also have some pretty nifty accuracy values that are helpful. In some instances, it's better to not upgrade the gear slot to sold if you'll suffer a major deduction in accuracy which will hinder your efficiency in the second coil. This is my current gear progress for my bard: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/5912149/ The first thing I did was upgrade my acc for he much higher accuracy provided which I needed to run the second Coil. Using the Artemis Zenith, I'm in the safe zone with 498 accuracy for Second Coil, although I'm not sure what the exact acc cap is.

For your question on SS values, it doesn't seem to work only on /10 boundaries unless you're talking about noticeable increments. Here's a chart that should be very helpful:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqG_cUArVwt5dExEVEJIRmJHd2lrczg4cnZxTDVkM1E#gid=68

Thanks, your current equipment isn't a million miles ahead of my own in terms of myth/soldiery, but our current end results are very different! It's a shame everything instantly binds to you, because it would be nice to test various setups but binding rules out testing cashmere parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom