• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IvorB

Up to what point have you played? Just curious.

In terms of dungeons the highest level I have played is Cutter's Cry. Admittedly the Chimera fight can a bit tricky but the rest of the dungeon is just walk through and blast everything. Maybe because I am a mage it's just so easy for me to position myself well and away from any danger. It may be too early to judge but I'm just saying my thoughts on what I have played so far.

The only dungeon I can say genuinely brought the pain was Sunken Temple of Qarn. That was legit. I would love more content like that.

I think part of it has to be because it would be twenty times harder for new players if they didn't nerf stuff. Roulette exists to basically bribe experienced players into rerunning old content to help increase the number of groups available for newer players. While a lot of experienced players are really nice and helpful and willing to explain, there's also a large chunk of the player base that is only there for the roulette bonus and wants to speedrun everything. Challenging mechanics that will wipe the group as newbies get acquainted will just cause the impatient people to abandon. Nerfing the dungeons makes them easier to get through and less likely to fall apart midway.

I got to listen to a healer and tank discuss the tank having bailed on a previous Pharos run because DPS was "too slow"--then later imply that anything under i90 was too low for an acceptably speedy Pharos run. Anyone that impatient won't want to redo Demon Wall until people get it down, so it gets nerfed.

Hmmm... I see...

Alucrid

Banned
so close yet so far away

YDEr1s7.png

system11

The nerf/roulette thing is a shame, for every helpful experienced person there are two who aren't, seemingly.

A few weeks ago now, I did my second Castrum run. I decided to try to help that time with the cannons at the end, and I screwed it up - fired slightly too soon. The boss chased me as it does and I panicked and tried to fight it, shake it, I had no idea it wasn't really going to hurt me and I needed to just stand there in the middle. Instead I tried to fix my mistake and reload the cannons, so of course the boss trampled around causing chaos.

They booted me for harassment after I apologised.

Last night I did a Castrum run and we were talking the new guys through it, and one of them did the exact same thing I did, obviously panicked and wasn't reading the chat log.

They booted him for harassment, I voted otherwise. I did expect to also get booted when I told them it was probably an honest mistake. Responses were along the lines of 'lol' and 'whatever'.

Depressing really. I should have just left on principle myself but I was 30 seconds away from 80 myth.

Soi-Fong

Anyone wanna do Titan Ex with me that's from Gaf FC? lol I have not had much luck with duty finder with people wiping from plumes even before heart phase. Same thing really with Garuda Ex and numerous people killing Spiney immediately.

In Game: Naoto Shirogane

Anyone wanna do Titan Ex with me that's from Gaf FC? lol I have not had much luck with duty finder with people wiping from plumes even before heart phase. Same thing really with Garuda Ex and numerous people killing Spiney immediately.

Yes. I have been trying for a week, as many of the FC people know. Send me a FR.

IMBored

Sure, I'll be on in about one and a half hours.

Anyone interested in a static for new 50's trying to beat EX and Coils? If you are send me a message or talk to me in game.

- Arya Hodor

Static?

Would love to join you but not sure how far I am from reaching that point. I'm still working on hitting ilvl 57 so I can do Titan HM. I'm currently on a quest to unlock Leviathan fight. How far am I from doing EX and Coil runs?

In-Game: Sydney Madison

Static?

Would love to join you but not sure how far I am from reaching that point. I'm still working on hitting ilvl 57 so I can do Titan HM. I'm currently on a quest to unlock Leviathan fight. How far am I from doing EX and Coil runs?

In-Game: Sydney Madison

Little behind, but we could catch you up pretty quickly. :)

Windtrick

I went to level 23 without my chocobo :(

You monster. How could you?

Thanks, your current equipment isn't a million miles ahead of my own in terms of myth/soldiery, but our current end results are very different! It's a shame everything instantly binds to you, because it would be nice to test various setups but binding rules out testing cashmere parts.

Indeed it would. We just gotta truck it out with tables and paper assumptions. :<

Capeo

Banned
In terms of dungeons the highest level I have played is Cutter's Cry. Admittedly the Chimera fight can a bit tricky but the rest of the dungeon is just walk through and blast everything. Maybe because I am a mage it's just so easy for me to position myself well and away from any danger. It may be too early to judge but I'm just saying my thoughts on what I have played so far.

The only dungeon I can say genuinely brought the pain was Sunken Temple of Qarn. That was legit. I would love more content like that.
It gets significantly harder after 50. Not so much the HM dungeons which are all easy but the Extremes and Coil as it progresses. Basically the game ups difficulty through increasingly unforgiving mechanics that a mistake during which usually ends in a wipe.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Anyone interested in a static for new 50's trying to beat EX and Coils? If you are send me a message or talk to me in game.

- Arya Hodor

I'm approaching 50 and would love to form a static.... still a few weeks behind, though -_-

SCH on Ultros, usually play weekday evenings EST

- Arya Hodor

Hodor, hodor hodor hodor! Hodor!

I mean, I hope you are able to build a good group and have fun. Good luck!

Managed to beat the wall with only me (whm) and a blm while the other two died in the first repel. We didn't even need a LB.

It's been hit crazy hard with the nerf bat.

It's a bit sad that new players will never be able to get the full oprahbees.gif experience in AK.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

- Arya Hodor

WHM at ilvl 58. Depending on days I can possibly either main or bench. Currently working toward cash/myth to get my gear upgraded.

A'lyssa Tohka

Speaking of above.. is my best next myth purchase my zenith? and then cash for ilvl 70 gear? or is the ilvl 90 gear better first and then zenith after?

Wilsongt

The nerfs don't bother me all that much... However, at least with nerfs when it comes to coil, it doesn't so much promote learning mechanics as it does brute forcing your way through it.

If you're going to do end-game content, you sort of need to learn your job and how to deal with situations, but if you can just heal through damage with Echo and not have to worry about mechanics, then you're not actually doing anything. I've learned to take anyone with Allagan gear from the first coil at face value because gear does not make a person skilled. The game isn't twitch heavy, but there are certain situations where you need to react on the fly and deal with stuff.

Though, I admit, I am just as bad as some people with roulette when it comes to low level dungeons. Last night I was running Tam Tara with three Lv 45+ characters including myself and a level 19 tank. We high levels pretty much pulled everything before the tank did and DPS'd everything down without worrying so much about hate, but the healer kept us topped out at all times. But, then again, it's Tam Tara. I say that, though, and I still remember my experience with a healer in toto rak a few nights ago, lol

There are still people who still struggle with T1 even with echo buff, and there are people who still struggle with Tits HM with echo buff, myself included.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
"Oh right forgot to do daily roulette, my MRD isn't going to level herself up..."
"OH SNAP it's Ifrit, what do"

Then our DPS couldn't kill the nail in time for the life of them, thankfully both were ranged so I could jump in on the fun. But still, kinda surreal to change perspective after healing that fight so many times.

Wilsongt

"Oh right forgot to do daily roulette, my MRD isn't going to level herself up..."
"OH SNAP it's Ifrit, what do"

Then our DPS couldn't kill the nail in time for the life of them, thankfully both were ranged so I could jump in on the fun. But still, kinda surreal to change perspective after healing that fight so many times.

I had a situation like that when I did ll daily and got Ruru normal mode. All of us were like "Um... " But that's mainly because I have ruru ex battle so ingrained in my mind that I don't worry so much about ruru normal and ruru hard.

IvorB

You'll need quite a number of seals for the promotions, and I suspect it's by far the best source of ventures in the game as well (1k seals/5 ventures) so yeah I'd say it's worth it. Not much in the way of gear for you, but there'll be an ilvl 55 weapon you can use as soon as you hit 50 if you're max rank and have 7k seals to spare.

Hmmm... new weapon sounds good. What happens if I complete the GC quests as a different class to my main one? Can I still collect the fancy weapon for my main class?

- Arya Hodor

Would love to but I am only level 43.

It gets significantly harder after 50. Not so much the HM dungeons which are all easy but the Extremes and Coil as it progresses. Basically the game ups difficulty through increasingly unforgiving mechanics that a mistake during which usually ends in a wipe.

Would be nice to see that. I still really enjoy the easier dungeons but I think it would be better with a bit more bite.

reached Level 49 Lancer so I should hit Level 50 in that class by hopefully Tuesday/early Wednesday morning. Once that's out of the way, I'll go back to Monk and start the other Level 50 quests/dungeons

heh, guess I spoke too soon. Hit Level 50 minutes ago. Probably will get back on later tonight to hopefully enter another Level 50 dungeon

jiggle

Hmmm... new weapon sounds good. What happens if I complete the GC quests as a different class to my main one? Can I still collect the fancy weapon for my main class?
You get the weapons(and other GC items) by trading in GC seals
Doesn't matter what job u do the quests on

what class are you? tank?

im a sch, a vivi looking for a steiner <3

Level 44 WAR here. Would be happy to party up anytime. I've been meaning to play with some more GAFers, especially since dungeons have been getting a little more complicated. Just took down Garuda last night.

Characters name is Walt Jabsco. Usually on around 7pm central most days. Hit me up if you ever need a tank for anything.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Level 44 WAR here. Would be happy to party up anytime. I've been meaning to play with some more GAFers, especially since dungeons have been getting a little more complicated. Just took down Garuda last night.

Characters name is Walt Jabsco. Usually on around 7pm central most days. Hit me up if you ever need a tank for anything.

nice, I'll be on around then. maybe run qarn or cutters cry for the first time.

He's right though

tumblr_lxu3tcwCjM1qb17kao1_500.gif

Griss

Man, levelling weaver is expensive. I was down to my last 10k there, but really wanted to get to lvl 45 before I logged out. So I bought a bunch of mats to make some felt. They were super expensive in total (I needed everything - snuggle fluffs, shards, fleece, that other reagent) and I was down to no money. I usually go farm this stuff myself, but I was pretty much done for the day.

I need two careful synths to make the felt, so I have only two chances to touch, so I wasn't too hopeful about how they'd turn out, but incredibly my first 7 felts came out HQ. Was pure luck, tons of lucky rainbow conditions, and getting HQ when I only had 7% etc again and again. Went back to the board to see how much HQ felt was selling for and HOLY SHIT I had just made my money back 40 times over. Actually 40 times, exactly.

I was so happy that I decided to upgrade my weaver's tunic (love being able to upgrade my shit myself) and when I converted the old one it gave me a Quicktongue III. Yep, that sells for 150k-180k where I am (Zodiark). All my money problems over in 5 minutes. I won't lie, I got up and danced a little. (EDIT: Actually thinking about it I converted a couple of things to make space... not sure which gave me the QT3.)

Still keeping some of that HQ felt in case I need it, though. So close to lvl 50... so close. Although the max-level crafting gear looks really disappointing. Can get better stuff with 3-4 days easy myth farming, which isn't right imo. At least I should be able to meld materia onto the vast majority of gear that I wear. I think that's a reasonably big deal.

My god everybody who not finished main quest rush it now just so you can experience Hildibrand quest lines.

It fucking amazing

Yes, yes they are. That kind of thing sets FFXIV apart from other MMOs for me. Got a ton of laughs out of that quest line.

Alucrid

Banned
Man, levelling weaver is expensive. I was down to my last 10k there, but really wanted to get to lvl 45 before I logged out. So I bought a bunch of mats to make some felt. They were super expensive in total (I needed everything - snuggle fluffs, shards, fleece, that other reagent) and I was down to no money. I usually go farm this stuff myself, but I was pretty much done for the day.

I need two careful synths to make the felt, so I have only two chances to touch, so I wasn't too hopeful about how they'd turn out, but incredibly my first 7 felts came out HQ. Was pure luck, tons of lucky rainbow conditions, and getting HQ when I only had 7% etc again and again. Went back to the board to see how much HQ felt was selling for and HOLY SHIT I had just made my money back 40 times over. Actually 40 times, exactly.

I was so happy that I decided to upgrade my weaver's tunic (love being able to upgrade my shit myself) and when I converted the old one it gave me a Quicktongue III. Yep, that sells for 150k-180k where I am (Zodiark). All my money problems over in 5 minutes. I won't lie, I got up and danced a little.

Still keeping some of that HQ felt in case I need it, though. So close to lvl 50... so close. Although the max-level crafting gear looks really disappointing. Can get better stuff with 3-4 days easy myth farming, which isn't right imo. At least I should be able to meld materia onto the vast majority of gear that I wear. I think that's a reasonably big deal.

Yes, yes they are. That kind of thing sets FFXIV apart from other MMOs for me. Got a ton of laughs out of that quest line.

Three star stuff is better than myth gear with melds most of the time. Shit, some pentamelded three star stuff is better than i100 items.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Three star stuff is better than myth gear with melds most of the time. Shit, some pentamelded three star stuff is better than i100 items.

The i100 DRG chest makes me so sad and the High Allegan drops from T9. :(
Crafted is the only hope unless you can upgrade the i100.

Epcott

Any tips for Garuda fight with SMN?

I hear using Tri-disaster on feathers while not summoning pet (due to its AOE) works wonders, but as soon as Reckoning is unleashed, everyone (but tank) falls like dominoes.

jiggle

Any tips for Garuda fight with SMN?

I hear using Tri-disaster on feathers while not summoning pet (due to its AOE) works wonders, but as soon as Reckoning is unleashed, everyone (but tank) falls like dominoes.
protect the rocks
swiftcast+tridisaster on the feathers if you have it up

vesp

- Arya Hodor
Can't commit to a static due to time constraints, but if you need fill ins I'm on a fair amount and have ilvl65ish bard and ilvl 73ish smn in the FC. Valmar Sathir in game.

My god everybody who not finished main quest rush it now just so you can experience Hildibrand quest lines.

It fucking amazing

Hildibrand quest lines are my favourite part of the game, they were great in 1.0 and in 2.0 they have turned them up to 11, some genuinely funny stuff in that questline, the next part can't come soon enough for me.

dammit, I wasted 60k+ gil on materia for the relic reborn quest when I should have just searched for the weapon on the market board in the first place. And now I gotta wait until my average item level is 52 (currently 49) until I can complete the quest

I think it is better if the newcomers learn the EX Primals on their own and get them down because it's one more step in learning to handle advanced mechanics that will continually be thrown at you if you opt to progress forward with Second Coil and any other new content that's meant to be more challenging. However, when I'm available, I'm always down for helping on EX primals. Just ask Tiduz about our pug Ifrit EX adventure.

The environments in this game are so fucking good. I remember quite fondly how amazing they were in FFXI, but too keep that same level of awe and wonder throughout this game is quite incredible. The weather system and day / night cycle are so beautiful and often lead to some just amazing looking environments. I often find myself just looking around and taking a lot of pictures.

It keeps me going, sort of. I hit 33 as my thaumaturge and I think I'm starting to hit that wall of the grind. It happens in every MMO for me. Seeing that XP bar move so slowly even though I do so much is such a pain in the ass.

Still, this game is so good.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
There are also a ton of lvl 46-47 side quests that you could do. I got to 50 before I had a chance to do them, so now I'm saving them for my second class.

Where are these located? Wouldn't mind checking them out. I know of one near Waking Sands, but that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom