• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seijuro

So I bought the game for my shitty laptop back when it first came out, had great fun with it but stopped playing once my free month ran out because I wanted to wait for a better PC or my PS4.

Flash forward a few months later: got back in with the PS4 version, rerolled back on Shiva:

My free company was gone (that happens I guess) but I'm very surprised that I've hardly seen anyone doing Fates anymore (especially at lower levels). If a few people are around, nobody reacts to requests to form farming-parties anymore. I realize that most of these people are lvl 50s looking for their atma-drops, and that dungeons & duty roulette give you a WHOLE LOT MORE xp than when the game started, but I liked the spontaneity of fates for the quick party/leveling fix.
Also, people don't yell/shout anymore und airing their conversations in public, I miss that too... gave the cities etc a sense of community.

/end rant

Aeana

FATEs died because they buffed dungeon exp, added roulettes, buffed leve exp, added the challenge log, made guildhest bonuses apply to each job, etc.
There's just no reason to do FATE farming anymore. That's not to say that nobody does it. Coerthas FATEs are still somewhat active.

Estus

Neo Member
You can't label me!

People did this a lot when the game was new. I remember a lot of chatter back in August and September.

I'm using the Guildworker addon which displays shouts from different regions, and I can tell that at least on Phoenix people still have "normal" conversations in all regions.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Level 40 1/2... I was dreading the final ten level stretch, but then I found out that that roulette XP is really something else.

Alex

My statement says nothing about whether it's a good or bad thing, only that juggling cleric stance, belting out holies, and making sure that the tank is alive through all of it is something that takes quite a lot of practice to get right. It's not an easy thing that someone can just do.

I'm just remembering how I felt when I first started doing it. It's easier for me now, but getting used to the finnickiness of cleric stance and knowing each individual pull well enough to know when it's even safe to holy, and being able to trust your tank to use their cooldowns and hold hate are things that take time and practice. It's great if the WHM is good enough to be able to do it, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone for not being comfortable enough to belt out as many holies as possible.

Yeah, allowing the White Mage to Holy effectively is very much a group effort. AoE needs to be solid enough that the addition of Holy should just vaporize the mobs and the tank needs to pace their cooldowns well enough that little beyond an initial buffer and Benediction should be needed.

I've gotten it down well but I still cuss out Cleric Stance at least once a run. I will forever hate how this game ties off-GCD abilities to animation timers.

Level 40 1/2... I was dreading the final ten level stretch, but then I found out that that roulette XP is really something else.

Roll the Guildhests too, if you're not. Each one has a large, individual bonus once per class. Can help get through some iffier ranges.

chrono01

i like t6
iroOCqmDhQZUB.gif

Alex

Turn 6 > Turn 8 > Turn 7 in terms of enjoyment, for my tastes. (not past 8, yet)

I quite like all of them though, but Turn 7 is the one that really perturbs me at times. Even when we botch 6 or are slamming into 8, I don't feel as annoyed as with 7 which is just so fragile and cramped in ways that get to me.

chrono01

I find Turn 7 more enjoyable than 6 since, the wipes on that one are generally more entertaining [that petrification] then Turn 6. Turn 8 is probably my favorite out of all the Turns so far. it's got a nice pace to it, and I like how there are multiple ways to handle it [mostly]. Turn 9 is looking to take its place, though, once we actually get it down/on farm.

get that terrible anime outta here
iTI01BeyLEz6M.gif

T.O.P

Banned
Any gaffer on Zodiark with a good FC for endgame stuff?

I like the one i'm currently in, nice bunch of people, but as endgame progress go they suck pretty hard and going pug on Coil and Ex Primals is freakin awful

IvorB

alright, who's the wise guy that thought having to enter the Sunken Temple of Qarn for a Level 50 quest was a good idea? That dungeon is so lame

I really enjoyed Sunken Temple of Qarn. It's level 35 though isn't it? It does require some thorough group co-ords though.

no way in hell I'll ever do the Relic Reborn quest again under a different job. Doing business with that drunk has-been once is more than enough for me

IvorB

FATEs died because they buffed dungeon exp, added roulettes, buffed leve exp, added the challenge log, made guildhest bonuses apply to each job, etc.
There's just no reason to do FATE farming anymore. That's not to say that nobody does it. Coerthas FATEs are still somewhat active.

I like FATEs actually. It's a fun thing to do on the open map that doesn't involve entering an instance. They could make them better through.

system11

I like FATEs actually. It's a fun thing to do on the open map that doesn't involve entering an instance. They could make them better through.

FATEs were ruined by Atma though. Atma is a process of suffering where high level players have to grind at the mercy of the RNG, while low level players are left dazed and confused by the all-conquering FATE train using the power of a thousand burning suns on their level 3 Cactaur, before moving on as quickly as it appeared.

The FATE train should actually /be/ a FATE where you have to slay adventurers and Chocobo, as many as possible in a 5 minute window, it spawns randomly on top of low level FATEs.

Ken

Can retainers use myth gear? Kind of sad having a level 50 retainer that can't be sent to find me a minion.

if the myth gear requires the advanced job then no

and it looks like it does so nope. just go grab some junk from CT or coil1 for your retainer

IMBored

Great, I might buy some accessories for other class and put them to use on my retainer. Also kind of great you can have two "unique" items if you offload one to your retainer first.

creid

2% wipe on Titan EX last night with 30 seconds left on the clock ;_;

On the positive side, I'm now confident that I know the fight 100%. But I fear it might be a while before I get a decent group again.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So I bought the game for my shitty laptop back when it first came out, had great fun with it but stopped playing once my free month ran out because I wanted to wait for a better PC or my PS4.

Flash forward a few months later: got back in with the PS4 version, rerolled back on Shiva:

My free company was gone (that happens I guess) but I'm very surprised that I've hardly seen anyone doing Fates anymore (especially at lower levels). If a few people are around, nobody reacts to requests to form farming-parties anymore. I realize that most of these people are lvl 50s looking for their atma-drops, and that dungeons & duty roulette give you a WHOLE LOT MORE xp than when the game started, but I liked the spontaneity of fates for the quick party/leveling fix.
Also, people don't yell/shout anymore und airing their conversations in public, I miss that too... gave the cities etc a sense of community.

/end rant
FATE farming groups? Yeah, not really around much except for the occasional "Hey do you also need atma? let's farm!" in shout or PF.

FATEs in general? Really hit or miss but in my experience about 50/50. Sometimes you'll be in a zone and there won't be a single player taking on ANY FATEs, and then around half of the time there will be a few players who are hitting FATEs in a zone (atma?). I mean really.. the world is big enough and per server player cap small enough that you simply can't see EVERY zone packed with parties hunting fates down. I guess the most likely answer is... if hardly anyone is attacking FATEs in your current zone, it's probably because there are one or more parties attacking them in other zones instead.

Hasney

FATE farming groups? Yeah, not really around much except for the occasional "Hey do you also need atma? let's farm!" in shout or PF.

FATEs in general? Really hit or miss but in my experience about 50/50. Sometimes you'll be in a zone and there won't be a single player taking on ANY FATEs, and then around half of the time there will be a few players who are hitting FATEs in a zone (atma?). I mean really.. the world is big enough and per server player cap small enough that you simply can't see EVERY zone packed with parties hunting fates down. I guess the most likely answer is... if hardly anyone is attacking FATEs in your current zone, it's probably because there are one or more parties attacking them in other zones instead.

Pretty much. I mean, I know I won't be touching FATEs for a while after that atma shizz. At least I could solo most of them.

Capeo

Banned
Atma is gonna be the death of me. 5 hours of farming and nothing... Damn.
Got six last night in about 4.5 hours. Unfortunately two of them were doubles of ones I already had gotten a second ago while helping some FC mates farm. So with the one I got the night before I still only have five distinct ones.

phierce

I have such a hard time getting motivated to farm atmas. I don't mind farming gear, tomes, xp on an alt job, etc. all for countless hours on end..., but atmas? I just have such a hard time forcing myself to do it. I still do it, but only in 1 hour (max) intervals. Guess that's why I still only have a few...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
How is the end game equipment? Is there at least a decent amount of sets and armour styles (and equipment stats) per class/job?

modern day MMO end game gear is almost never itemized for options. Not sure what you mean. It's almost solely targeted at "you are a [blank] role, so here we're going to bump up your primary stats". Even among the game's one hybrid class it's itemized as DPS (SMN) or healer (SCH). Again, standard for all MMO's (WoW Druid for example).

Similar for armor styles, there is usually only one or two styles per tier (usually just 1). But with glamours these days it really doesn't matter. And like WoW, as the game ages (gracefully of course ;) going back to old sets or mix and matching old with new will give you options. Not to mention any of the stuff that's actually able to be dyed.

Really confused.

Reading end-game guides they are all saying I should get Darklight gear.

1) I cannot find where to purchase this from the NPC who is said to sell it (the one next to Rowena)
2) All the guides online say I need Allagan Tomes of Philosophy and that I can get these from Castrum... but I've just done Castrum and I only got 20 tomes of mythology. No philosophy.

Can someone sort out my confusion?

Axl

Really confused.

1) I cannot find where to purchase this from the NPC who is said to sell it (the one next to Rowena)
2) All the guides online say I need Allagan Tomes of Philosophy and that I can get these from Castrum... but I've just done Castrum and I only got 20 tomes of mythology. No philosophy.

Dark light used to be purchased from Rowena for Philosophy tomes but it has since been changed to drop from the lvl 50 hard mode dungeons.

Outdated guide from version 2.0
We're on patch 2.2 now. All items come from rowenas vendor in mordhona.

So is Darklight gear still a thing?

I can't find it on either of her two NPCs at the side, and Rowena herself just talks shit and doesn't do anything.

phierce

Really confused.

Philosophy tomes no longer exist and Darklight gear is now dropped from various dungeons.

The lady to Rowena's left has the gear for purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom