• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hit 49 the other night. I haven't had any luck getting into a group for the story quest that unlocked. Queue times have been estimated at 45+ minutes, and I just haven't had the time to wait on it. I've been doing dailies and working back on my Hunting log.

I do have some questions (I apologize if they've been asked before, and I overlooked them). Firstly, upon hitting 50, I'll get to my Drachen mail. Should I go ahead and use my Myth to get Wyrm gear, or get the accessory gear (belt, necklace, etc) to replace my white/green gear?

I haven't really been doing a lot of FATE grinding, so I don't have many GC seals. The weapon I'm currently using is from a quest reward. Would it be best to grind out seals to get the GC weapon, or focus on a different one? I just now got the rank after completing the first GC hunting log, so that's going to be a lot of seals...

Lastly, I'm just now looking into using Materia. I know I need to add Strength, but can I add 2 Strength Materia to the same item, or does it have to be 2 different types? What else should I add? I was thinking Determination, but wasn't really sure.

Taruranto

I just hit 49 the other night. I haven't had any luck getting into a group for the story quest that unlocked. Queue times have been estimated at 45+ minutes, and I just haven't had the time to wait on it. I've been doing dailies and working back on my Hunting log.

I do have some questions (I apologize if they've been asked before, and I overlooked them). Firstly, upon hitting 50, I'll get to my Drachen mail. Should I go ahead and use my Myth to get Wyrm gear, or get the accessory gear (belt, necklace, etc) to replace my white/green gear?

I haven't really been doing a lot of FATE grinding, so I don't have many GC seals. The weapon I'm currently using is from a quest reward. Would it be best to grind out seals to get the GC weapon, or focus on a different one? I just now got the rank after completing the first GC hunting log, so that's going to be a lot of seals...

Lastly, I'm just now looking into using Materia. I know I need to add Strength, but can I add 2 Strength Materia to the same item, or does it have to be 2 different types? What else should I add? I was thinking Determination, but wasn't really sure.

Spend myth and soldiery on armor for the Vit bonus, you'll need it
especially if you are a DRG, let's be honest.
For the weapon, may as well just aim for relic and call it a day. Get MB accessories until you have 350 myth to spare for some accessories, they shouldn't be too hard to get.

Don't waste money on Materia, they are useless.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Oh. :(
Do you have ab idea about the other abilities?

Thanks!

You can't use Keen Flurry either- PLDs can only cross class from MRD and CNJ. Mercy Stroke's nice but not essential. The only crossclass skills PLD really wants are Foresight and I gueeeeeeeeeess Stoneskin?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member

A lot of the 90 crafted gear with materia is honestly better than the Soldiery gear for DRG, but as a new 50 you can maaaaaybe afford a single piece, at best, and materia prices are going crazy.

Edit: Argh didn't mean to double post, last time I try and be helpful.

Mesharey

You can't use Keen Flurry either- PLDs can only cross class from MRD and CNJ. Mercy Stroke's nice but not essential. The only crossclass skills PLD really wants are Foresight and I gueeeeeeeeeess Stoneskin?
So only Foresight, too lazy to learn Stoneskin. >_>

Shield Oath + Foresight = win?

modern day MMO end game gear is almost never itemized for options. Not sure what you mean. It's almost solely targeted at "you are a [blank] role, so here we're going to bump up your primary stats". Even among the game's one hybrid class it's itemized as DPS (SMN) or healer (SCH). Again, standard for all MMO's (WoW Druid for example).

Similar for armor styles, there is usually only one or two styles per tier (usually just 1). But with glamours these days it really doesn't matter. And like WoW, as the game ages (gracefully of course ;) going back to old sets or mix and matching old with new will give you options. Not to mention any of the stuff that's actually able to be dyed.

Sorry, I got busy when I was typing that and had to cut it short.

Yes, I know all that. I'm more looking to just get a picture of what to expect when I get to the end game and start gearing for it. How many tiers of armour? Is there different stat makeup for different pieces of armour in a tier, etc. Of course DPS gear will carry DPS related stats, but how much do they differ between sets or styles in a tier?

Things like that. Obviously the game is still growing and more customization in terms of appearance and stat makeup will come with time, but I just hope there is at least a decent amount of unique items and designs per class to at least make your appearance somewhat unique without destroying your effectiveness in combat to start.

phierce

Oh. :(
Do you have ab idea about the other abilities?

Thanks!
Yeah, PLD can only pull cross class abilities from MRD and CNJ.

Here's a list.

Bloodbath isn't completely useless. It's not great, but it's off the GCD and gives hate + health.

Mercy Stroke is okay...not great, but just macro it to your fast blade and it'll use every time the mob is sub 20%.

Jayhawk

Yeah, PLD can only pull cross class abilities from MRD and CNJ.

Here's a list.

Bloodbath isn't completely useless. It's not great, but it's off the GCD and gives hate + health.

Mercy Stroke is okay...not great, but just macro it to your fast blade and it'll use every time the mob is sub 20%.

As others have mentioned before in this thread, do not put GCD actions you regularly use in a macro as you lose the queueing ability. Do not put Fast Blade in a macro, that's the button you hit the most as a PLD.

Teknoman

Man having started a new job this week...the training period + waking up at 5 to get to the training location, I wont have time to jump back in until the weekend maybe. Or at least until I can adjust and not be so tired lol.

jiggle

Sorry, I got busy when I was typing that and had to cut it short.

Yes, I know all that. I'm more looking to just get a picture of what to expect when I get to the end game and start gearing for it. How many tiers of armour? Is there different stat makeup for different pieces of armour in a tier, etc. Of course DPS gear will carry DPS related stats, but how much do they differ between sets or styles in a tier?

Things like that. Obviously the game is still growing and more customization in terms of appearance and stat makeup will come with time, but I just hope there is at least a decent amount of unique items and designs per class to at least make your appearance somewhat unique without destroying your effectiveness in combat to start.
There are something like 12 sets gear for every job
going from ilv55 to ilv110
they all offer upgrade to the job's primary stat + VIT
Secondary stats are the main differentiator

Spend myth and soldiery on armor for the Vit bonus, you'll need it
especially if you are a DRG, let's be honest.
For the weapon, may as well just aim for relic and call it a day. Get MB accessories until you have 350 myth to spare for some accessories, they shouldn't be too hard to get.

A lot of the 90 crafted gear with materia is honestly better than the Soldiery gear for DRG, but as a new 50 you can maaaaaybe afford a single piece, at best, and materia prices are going crazy.

Edit: Argh didn't mean to double post, last time I try and be helpful.

Thanks for the advice, guys! I do have some Materia from breaking down old equipment. Might go ahead and use a few of those, but won't worry about buying any.

I want to do as much as I can to add to my DPS, as I feel like I'm not really contributing to my groups, so far. I've been working on my rotation, but haven't really found the right flow. It hasn't been too punishing so far, but I really don't want to be the cause of a wipe in harder dungeons...

jiggle

Where's the elezen?
There it is
JP-Brachiosaur.jpg

phierce

As others have mentioned before in this thread, do not put GCD actions you regularly use in a macro as you lose the queueing ability. Do not put Fast Blade in a macro, that's the button you hit the most as a PLD.
Edit: Fuck it...lol not worth a debate.

I've been holding off on my PS3 copy of FFXIV (to convert into PS4), since I haven't had much time with school work in the way. If I buy a digital version of the PC release, this is supposed to add an additional month to my racked up time right?

Gamestop has FFXIV PC for $12.00 right now. If I buy this, I can have two months of time racked up before I even start right? And is this in a CD key that comes with the game in addition to the key for the game itself? Or does it add the time once I install and activate the PC version. I have a pretty good PC, and could potentially let my brother or friend use the PC version while I just take the included month (which would still be cheaper than buying it separately).

Ken

What's the easiest way for a solo player to get the weapon needed for my relic quest? I don't know anyone with the skills needed.

auction house? should be pretty cheap

for the melds, just shout in a city and you should get someone. just offer them a tip.

Soi-Fong

I only do expert DR as a tank. I make it a point to state that I will be doing two pulls before the first boss in Brayflox HM since it is a DF group. Safer to do overall and hopefully makes it more enjoyable for the randoms I group with.

Very nice of you compared to tanks who make it hard for me when they decide to grab 4 groups totalling about 9 or 10 mobs before the first boss. Oh and this is without BLM or BRDs.

Also with patch 2.2 you saw Gilgamesh but he only has two arms at the moment, one day you might see him having eight arms. So that’s something to look forward to.[/url]

Pretty much everyone guessed at that detail regarding Gilgamesh, but it's nice for Yoshi-P to point it out, too. Can't wait! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom