• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claymore

I just hit lvl 50 with my first class (dps) and now I want to lvl a tank.

Is there a guide or something for optimal lvling? Besides the roulette ofcourse.

Shamdeo

I just hit lvl 50 with my first class (dps) and now I want to lvl a tank.

Is there a guide or something for optimal lvling? Besides the roulette ofcourse.

Definitely do your daily roulettes, and dungeons give more EXP now. There are more options for sure.

The challenge log should help but be careful that you get the reward on the class you want.

finally got my first relic weapon. Screw going through that shit again. Now with that out of the way, I could go for the relic weapon zenith, but I gotta ask: What's the point of ATMAs?

Did my first raid (Crystal Tower); hectic, fun, would do it again. Shame they dropped nothing useful to me except for Lancer gear that I couldn't get since I wasn't using that class

I probably should have said it was my first time doing Pharos Sirius. Cause I went after Zu's eggs the moment the fight started >___________>

IvorB

Sorry, I got busy when I was typing that and had to cut it short.

Yes, I know all that. I'm more looking to just get a picture of what to expect when I get to the end game and start gearing for it. How many tiers of armour? Is there different stat makeup for different pieces of armour in a tier, etc. Of course DPS gear will carry DPS related stats, but how much do they differ between sets or styles in a tier?

Things like that. Obviously the game is still growing and more customization in terms of appearance and stat makeup will come with time, but I just hope there is at least a decent amount of unique items and designs per class to at least make your appearance somewhat unique without destroying your effectiveness in combat to start.

This is what troubles me about this game as well. It seems like there is just one rail of advancement for each class that you cannot deviate from. Everybody will have the same skills, same weapons, same stats as anyone else of that class. I wish there were some more customisation options in skills, attributes and gear. It doesn't have to be Diablo or anything but a little bit more than what there is now would be nice. Just stats on the gear is boring; what about some buffs on there?

Shamdeo

finally got my first relic weapon. Screw going through that shit again. Now with that out of the way, I could go for the relic weapon zenith, but I gotta ask: What's the point of ATMAs?

The Zodiac chain is a sort of lateral way to boost your relic and is intended to be a -very- long term project for people, we assume, who aren't much into raiding.

Collecting 12 Atma to upgrade your Zenith can take quite a while and it's very, very tedious. I recommend working on it a little at a time or if you want to watch a movie/multitask. A lot of people unnecessarily burn themselves out for hours at a time grinding FATEs for a very low RNG drop. Don't do it to yourself.

Beyond that, the upgrade from Atma to Animus is also quite a timesink as you'll be running many dungeons to afford each of the nine stat upgrade books as well as completing each book requirement.

If you're in for something to do long-term outside of Coil, it's a good choice. If you're planning on running Coil with a static every week, it's probably not a priority.

jiggle

This is what troubles me about this game as well. It seems like there is just one rail of advancement for each class that you cannot deviate from. Everybody will have the same skills, same weapons, same stats as anyone else of that class. I wish there were some more customisation options in skills, attributes and gear. It doesn't have to be Diablo or anything but a little bit more than what there is now would be nice. Just stats on the gear is boring; what about some buffs on there?

yeah i've been complaining about that from the beginning
it's not like they can't put in non-numeric stats
hermes' shoes have it, as do those xp hats
i think in 1.0, the AFs had them too?

bumps zenith to ilv100 with no immediate stat increase
eventually becomes ilv110 animus

Tiduz

Eurogaime
apparantly i unlocked a secret class

aOYarTR.jpg

draw4wild

Got myself 12 atmas, girls love atmas.....unfortunately I can't start working on books yet since I still need about 2k in myth gear since I'm only at ilvl 75, next week I guess

Also I do garuda and ifrit hard mode once a night since I find them a lot of fun and can do them in my sleep. I want to start doing Titan hm every night too since I still have trouble post heart, mainly dodging a landslide with bombs out, I can't identify the safe section fast enough. Once I'm good at Titan I want to start on garuda ex and ultima, will I be able to learn these fights in df? And is it rude to go in with no experience and just watch a video or 5?

Hystzen

Managed to piss of a healer who refused to heal or even raise me and tank calling me a retard who was sat down in middle of arena

Why because didn't lure Liva into centre straight away as I was currently reloading cannon. So battle took 10 seconds longer because of this

Managed to piss of a healer who refused to heal or even raise me and tank calling me a retard who was sat down in middle of arena

Why because didn't lure Liva into centre straight away as I was currently reloading cannon. So battle took 10 seconds longer because of this

This is the only problem with MMOs. Everyone gets so pissy at extremely small stuff.
For the final boss in Copperbell Mines (Hard), I tried to tank in the middle of the sand area, because the guide I was reading told me to.

Instead of going "Hey, it's better if you tank on the rock" someone went "SHIT TANK OMG GET ON THE ROCKS NOOB" or something along those lines. I moved onto the rocks and then told him I was following a guide - and thankfully the other two members said that you can tank him on the sand as well and only then did he apologise.

Hystzen

This is the only problem with MMOs. Everyone gets so pissy at extremely small stuff.
For the final boss in Copperbell Mines (Hard), I tried to tank in the middle of the sand area, because the guide I was reading told me to.

Instead of going "Hey, it's better if you tank on the rock" someone went "SHIT TANK OMG GET ON THE ROCKS NOOB" or something along those lines. I moved onto the rocks and then told him I was following a guide - and thankfully the other two members said that you can tank him on the sand as well and only then did he apologise.

I never had issues before guessing post game going expect more issues from people.

I tried not laugh today over it because the whole last 2 dungeons are walk overs and no bonuses where being gained for speed running it.

Only time fucked up was in Haukke hard as was not going enough damage so struggled with final boss but we barely finished it and party was fine with it

I'm ilvl 86 bard, what's a good way of making gil? Should I buy high level gear off the
marketplace, spiritbond to it and sell off the materia? Or should I start rolling a hunting/crafting class?

Dunan

Finally got access to Turn 1 of the Coil today and it sure was bizarre.

First time, I come into a party standing at the beginning with 12 minutes already having elapsed. One person asks "have you watched vids" and when I say I haven't, after some admonition to watch one on my phone right away, the party votes to disperse.

So I queue again and get a mixed party of noobs and people who have an unorthodox plan. The leader is pulling some animals (how did they get inside this ancient structure?) around and no one is instructing the rest of us on what to do (and the answer evidently isn't "progress forward and fight normally").

It'll be a disappointment if this game ends up effectively requiring players to research future battles in advance, but it feels more and more like that all the time.

dramatis

If you want to do Turn 1-4 (maybe?) without queuing DF and getting people who ask if you watched a video, just ask FC and you might be able to scrap together a party of people who will do crazy things that get the party wiped but don't mind all that much.

creid

It'll be a disappointment if this game ends up effectively requiring players to research future battles in advance, but it feels more and more like that all the time.
For the later, harder fights in the game, you're not required to research future battles in advance, but they're complex enough that you're not going to figure them out in the 60-90 minutes you're given. If you go in with a full party of like-minded people that want to learn as they go along, that's fine. But if you're thrown in with random people via duty finder, don't blame them for not wanting to wipe for an hour on a fight they fully understand while you figure out the fight.

Number45

These are supposed to be co-ordinated affairs though, and you can't guarantee everyone (or anyone for that matter) in your group will know them. If I'm going in with my FC they actually like to bring people in blind, but if I'm going in via DF I will do everything I can to make the run as smooth as possible, so I'll check out a guide or two in advance.

Capeo

Banned

First time, I come into a party standing at the beginning with 12 minutes already having elapsed. One person asks "have you watched vids" and when I say I haven't, after some admonition to watch one on my phone right away, the party votes to disperse.

So I queue again and get a mixed party of noobs and people who have an unorthodox plan. The leader is pulling some animals (how did they get inside this ancient structure?) around and no one is instructing the rest of us on what to do (and the answer evidently isn't "progress forward and fight normally").

If you pug Coil you will find this to be a pretty common experience. To avoid you need to run with a premade party. Even then it never hurts to familiarize yourself with the mechanics first. There's a lot of insta wipe mechanics in Coil and pug groups will often kick people who cause them more than once or twice.

In T1 for instance the standard is to sac pull the mobs. One tank runs ahead and grabs all mobs on the way to the first golem then pulls them to safe place while the party passes and kills the golem. The tank dies and teleports back after the golem is downed. You do this twice and you're at the last boss.

stevil

So I finally bit the bullet, my first MMORPG :)

So I thought what the hell I will buy it digital, it is not like the disk will be anything worth.
BIG MISTAKE downloads from PSN are still unbelievable slow 12GB estimated 8 hours??!! first and last time I will buy something digital from PSN (except for PS+ stuff). I thought Sony promised faster download speeds than PS3 and playable with a partial download well not such luck. one day lost of my "free" 30 days access...

sadly I'm not a member other wise I could rant in a new topic dedicated to shitty download speeds and why Sony was so happy they still had disks. And why the hell it is faster to download a perfectly legal creative commons movie of 12GB via torrents or news groups but I have to wait 8 bloody hours be for I can play for something I pay 35 for and have a 50 a year PS+ account. Also I could fly to Paris eat an croissant buy the game fly back and still be faster than PSN

on second thought maybe it is good I'm not a member

Number45

So I thought what the hell I will buy it digital, it is not like the disk will be anything worth.
BIG MISTAKE downloads from PSN are still unbelievable slow 12GB estimated 8 hours??!! first and last time I will buy something digital from PSN (except for PS+ stuff). I thought Sony promised faster download speeds than PS3 and playable with a partial download well not such luck. one day lost of my "free" 30 days access...

sadly I'm not a member other wise I could rant in a new topic dedicated to shitty download speeds and why Sony was so happy they still had disks. And why the hell it is faster to download a perfectly legal creative commons movie of 12GB via torrents or news groups but I have to wait 8 bloody hours be for I can play for something I pay 35 for and have a 50 a year PS+ account. Also I could fly to Paris eat an croissant buy the game fly back and still be faster than PSN

If you haven't yet downloaded the client and logged into the service, your 30 days haven't yet started. At that point, you'll have to download a further several Gigabytes of patches from the S-E infrastructure.

And my downloads from PSN are, and have always been, nice and quick. On everything other than Vita which I attribute to shitty wireless on the device.

Also finally got my Artimus Bow Zenith last night :D

Was considering doing atma farming but I'll wait for the next patch. Hopefully they up the drop rates.

danthefan

Oh god. I've run Stone Vigil about 7 times now for the MRD weapon and not got it. Some guy just joined right before the last boss, first time running the dungeon, and gets his weapon right away.

No fairs :(

Number45

go LAN if you haven't.
Yeah, I was going to suggest that. Right through the lifespan of the PS3 and PS4 my speeds have been fine (I don't have anything more specific than that without testing and I'm pretty sure they don't max my current connection, but more than acceptable) but I've been wired every step of the way, and will continue to do so if it's possible and speed is important.

The really huge stuff I'll usually kick off the download while at work or before I go to bed, and it'll all be done when I'm ready for it.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Oh god. I've run Stone Vigil about 7 times now for the MRD weapon and not got it. Some guy just joined right before the last boss, first time running the dungeon, and gets his weapon right away.

No fairs :(

I ran CT last night. 4 bosses, 4 drops... 2 of them WHM. and the OTHER WHM got both. fml

IvorB

Ha ha!! Wait 'till you have to download the data from SquareEnix after you've installed the client. You ain't seen nothin', kid.

Dunan

In T1 for instance the standard is to sac pull the mobs. One tank runs ahead and grabs all mobs on the way to the first golem then pulls them to safe place while the party passes and kills the golem. The tank dies and teleports back after the golem is downed. You do this twice and you're at the last boss.

That's a clever trick, and you explained it just fine. I wonder why the leader of the duty finder group I was in couldn't have said the same thing.

Capeo

Banned
That's a clever trick, and you explained it just fine. I wonder why the leader of the duty finder group I was in couldn't have said the same thing.
Well, cause the internet unfortunately, where anonymity has the ugly side effect of often breeding douchebaggery. That's why I only run stuff with my FC.

The first time we did T1 though we had to pug one tank and they were great. I explained right away that the 7 of us were in an FC on VC and it's our first time. She asked if we knew what's up and I told her we watched video and had the basic gist. As a tank I always feel the need to watch video first. She then proceeded to take us through everything step by step and we cleared no prob. You don't always get that lucky though.

tenchir

They might be assholes, but you also have to look at their point of views. If you were reloading with Liva on you, then you are exposing those cannons to her cleaves/aoe. Tank sitting down in the middle because he really can't do much until the adds come in. Damaged cannons could potentially be destroyed later on if the same guy keeps running to those cannon with Liva on him/her and extend the fight even more. To them, you were more of a detriment to the fight being alive than dead. :/

I seen enough cannons being destroyed that seeing people running around with Liva chasing them and not paying attention to chat annoys me enough to not do any main scenario DR now. I even had a macro set to explain the fight in 3 sentences before we start it.

IvorB

done that still slow :(

ow well hopefully I will be ready for the weekend :)

By the weekend? Will be touch-and-go but you should be alright. :)

I also fell for Sony's bullsh*t about play while you download blah blah blah. But I bought InFamous on impulse thinking I could just dive in but no. I had to wait the FULL download before I could boot it up. I could have gone downstairs, bought it and been playing right away. I guess it wouldn't be a PlayStation launch without a least some Sony bullsh*tting.

vareon

GAF, I just started playing this and got a stupid question--I'm playing on PC with a gamepad. I just got my pet (Arcanist) but strangely I can't access the pet hotbar from the controller? The tutorial said to press RB which just switches the battle hotbar with social hotbar.

Raijinken

Unless they change something in 2.28 that brings life back to pvp where queues aren't 20+mins, that won't be anyone but Rai in a few weeks(and that's if he continues for the chest). The grind and queue times are wearing on a lot of us and atleast one of those people linked wintraded their way to everything(Kami Neko is the sch).

As a healer, the grind has gotten to me as well, even with faster queues than the rest of you guys that are DPS and tanks. If players are actually getting into pvp in 2.28 with all the actions being enabled from the start then we may see faster queues, but if not, there is no hope left. Luckily, I only have about 8600 XP to go until I am able to equip the swan body piece. I'm hoping I can wear it before June...

I also fell for Sony's bullsh*t about play while you download blah blah blah. But I bought InFamous on impulse thinking I could just dive in but no. I had to wait the FULL download before I could boot it up. I could have gone downstairs, bought it and been playing right away. I guess it wouldn't be a PlayStation launch without a least some Sony bullsh*tting.

Not BS. Well, at least BF4 supports the "Play and Download" feature.

borghe

GAF, I just started playing this and got a stupid question--I'm playing on PC with a gamepad. I just got my pet (Arcanist) but strangely I can't access the pet hotbar from the controller? The tutorial said to press RB which just switches the battle hotbar with social hotbar.

when the pet is summoned a "pet crossbar" will magically be available when pressing RB.

it isn't "Sony BS". It is game dependent. Knack and Killzone for instance are both playable after around 7GB. NBA2K14 is sadly playable in an awful exhibition (two teams only) mode until the full 47GB download finishes. It depends on the game.

An MMORPG largely probably won't work with how Sony has the system designed because you have to account for a player getting right into the game and going ANYWHERE in the game (for an existing character). WoW handles this with their progressive loader, but one that is designed explicitly for WoW (and can as such dynamically load content through the loader in the game).

It would seem the only way to do that would essentially be to only download the loader from PSN and the rest of the game files from SE.. not exactly sure though how something like that would fit in Sony's (or MS') policies.

borghe

The hotbar is there, but it's the mouse hotbar--which means I have to use my mouse to issue command to my pet while the other UI is the gamepad UI.

right.. but if you use RB it should switch to "that" hotbar on the crossbar as well. you can optionally choose to hide that hotbar as well. At least this is how it works on PS4.

The other (better?) alternative is to configure your primary/main crossbar to include pet commands on it as well.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

add new crossbars, and enable the L2+R2 and R2+L2 crossbars, and put the pet actions on those

aena told me about those and it was a real gamechanger

borghe

for some insane reason I decided to grind atma's today, three hours and got one... I hate myself :'(

I am a mere ~280 myth away from this. so so so scared.

speaking of which, is a full CT run now worth 120 myth? Websites say 100 but I was doing the math and if so I somehow ended up with an extra 20 myth somewhere...

DRLL 80
DRMS 60
beast dailies 30
CT ???
total = 290.

I am a mere ~280 myth away from this. so so so scared.

speaking of which, is a full CT run now worth 120 myth? Websites say 100 but I was doing the math and if so I somehow ended up with an extra 20 myth somewhere...

DRLL 80
DRMS 60
beast dailies 30
CT ???
total = 290.

You got 20 more myth from whichever dungeon you ran for main story.

Hystzen

They might be assholes, but you also have to look at their point of views. If you were reloading with Liva on you, then you are exposing those cannons to her cleaves/aoe. Tank sitting down in the middle because he really can't do much until the adds come in. Damaged cannons could potentially be destroyed later on if the same guy keeps running to those cannon with Liva on him/her and extend the fight even more. To them, you were more of a detriment to the fight being alive than dead. :/

I seen enough cannons being destroyed that seeing people running around with Liva chasing them and not paying attention to chat annoys me enough to not do any main scenario DR now. I even had a macro set to explain the fight in 3 sentences before we start it.

I didn't see her aggro on me as other people used cannon on other side. The interaction for starting reload is barely 8seconds and the fight was pretty much over it in last quarter. I was back in centre before even knew it

The no heal carried onto next fight when she fights as pug. Getting pissy over 8 seconds is embarrassing and refusing heal over it is worse

I haven't had much luck with Healers :/
I'm a Glad, just starting out with story mode stuff. Doing the level 15ish dungeons with my DPS friends just trying to learn how to tank. For some reason the Healer pug is always impatient.

Of the last 3 dungeons we have done the first Healer would get agrro ... because she would run in front of me. Simple Tank-and-spank Mini Boss becomes a tug-of-war for hate between me and her cause she decided to loot a chest right in front of where the boss WOULD appear and run behind me right as it was appearing causing her to be it's first target. Same would happen with other mobs in there.
2nd would disregard my markings. I would tag a group and have my BM friend put the ones labeled 2/3 to sleep. Lil imp dude decided he wanted to wake em up by attacking them out of order. This happened time and time again. :/
3rd was a good healer who knew the dungeon mechanics better than us when it cam to that blob thing you have to blow up. He didn't get hate, I was never too close to dying ... good work. Of all 3 of them he was the only one to reply with a "Hey" when we all said hello.

Of the healers I have had only about 2 seemed to talk. Maybe half didn't cause any un-needed problems.

I know that for some these early events are just a way to level up a new class ... but when someone tells you it's their first time doing it then that's a sign you shouldn't rush things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom