• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hystzen

I haven't had much luck with Healers :/
I'm a Glad, just starting out with story mode stuff. Doing the level 15ish dungeons with my DPS friends just trying to learn how to tank. For some reason the Healer pug is always impatient.

Of the last 3 dungeons we have done the first Healer would get agrro ... because she would run in front of me. Simple Tank-and-spank Mini Boss becomes a tug-of-war for hate between me and her cause she decided to loot a chest right in front of where the boss WOULD appear and run behind me right as it was appearing causing her to be it's first target. Same would happen with other mobs in there.
2nd would disregard my markings. I would tag a group and have my BM friend put the ones labeled 2/3 to sleep. Lil imp dude decided he wanted to wake em up by attacking them out of order. This happened time and time again. :/
3rd was a good healer who knew the dungeon mechanics better than us when it cam to that blob thing you have to blow up. He didn't get hate, I was never too close to dying ... good work. Of all 3 of them he was the only one to reply with a "Hey" when we all said hello.

Of the healers I have had only about 2 seemed to talk. Maybe half didn't cause any un-needed problems.

I know that for some these early events are just a way to level up a new class ... but when someone tells you it's their first time doing it then that's a sign you shouldn't rush things.

My 2nd dungeon was similar experience our tank was trying be careful as he not used to tanking and was learning.

Healer kept running ahead and bring back more mobs then shouting when got taken out by 6 enemies mobs.

I had few issues with people normally start up always see people asking if first run in dungeon or asking about bosses. If stick with mates or join GAF ask them do dungeon runs you be sorted

WolvenOne

Since we're about to see another live letter, I might as well post my 2.3 wishlist. Though I'd be surprised to see some of these, to be honest.

1: Gilgamesh Extreme (Maybe HM too.)

They'll probably just skip straight to EM, since making two additional versions of that fight would be a lot more work, and because I'm not sure what they could make drop in HM that'd make that fight worth it.

Or, perhaps maybe we should just see HM for now, make it about on par with the EM fights in terms of difficulty, and make the eventual EM fight nightmarish difficult, just a thought.

2: Surprise Trials.

I know we can only expect one Primal fight per patch for the time being, but I'd still love to see some additional trials beyond that. Perhaps Chimera or Hydra Extreme, or, maybe they go really crazy and offer a Trial EM version of Caduceus or ADS. These wouldn't be quite as much work as making a Primal fight, but I could very well see these keeping the average player busy for a few weeks each, if tuned right.

3: Labyrinth of the Ancients (HARD)

I'd, REALLY be surprised to see this one to be honest. Basically, just a 12 man version of CT1, with higher level dyable versions of the original drops. Going twelve man would be the easiest way of ramping up the difficulty, without dramatically changing the fights.

Though I'd prefer to see a additional mechanic or two for each boss, just to keep it interesting. Again though, I'd be surprised to see this.

4:Anything to do in the overworld.

Instances get tiring after awhile, and it's nice to be able to do things while waiting for PFs to form.

saher

Banned

I'd, REALLY be surprised to see this one to be honest. Basically, just a 12 man version of CT1, with higher level dyable versions of the original drops. Going twelve man would be the easiest way of ramping up the difficulty, without dramatically changing the fights.

Not when we cant form full alliance in the server.

i cant really imagine the drama if there is even harder CT

Hystzen

Since we're about to see another live letter, I might as well post my 2.3 wishlist. Though I'd be surprised to see some of these, to be honest.

1: Gilgamesh Extreme (Maybe HM too.)

They'll probably just skip straight to EM, since making two additional versions of that fight would be a lot more work, and because I'm not sure what they could make drop in HM that'd make that fight worth it.

Or, perhaps maybe we should just see HM for now, make it about on par with the EM fights in terms of difficulty, and make the eventual EM fight nightmarish difficult, just a thought.

2: Surprise Trials.

I know we can only expect one Primal fight per patch for the time being, but I'd still love to see some additional trials beyond that. Perhaps Chimera or Hydra Extreme, or, maybe they go really crazy and offer a Trial EM version of Caduceus or ADS. These wouldn't be quite as much work as making a Primal fight, but I could very well see these keeping the average player busy for a few weeks each, if tuned right.

Though I'd prefer to see a additional mechanic or two for each boss, just to keep it interesting. Again though, I'd be surprised to see this.

4:Anything to do in the overworld.

Instances get tiring after awhile, and it's nice to be able to do things while waiting for PFs to form.

Gilgamesh is already classed as Hard is it not it too easy at moment anyway.

I just want a new trial that is vs the Tribuni it most disappointing to me in game how easy them fights are. That and let me have Gaius gun blade or as I'm a DRG a gunspear

WolvenOne

Gilgamesh is already classed as Hard is it not it too easy at moment anyway.

I just want a new trial that is vs the Tribuni it most disappointing to me in game how easy them fights are. That and let me have Gaius gun blade or as I'm a DRG a gunspear

You mean the color coded Gaius minions at the end? I really doubt we'll be getting HM versions of those fight, exactly.
Though we'll probably be fighting against one of those characters again at the some point.

WolvenOne

Give me Ultima EX and I resub.

<3 some lasers. =)

Unless they want to use nearly the same mechanics for Omega Weapon (assuming we're seeing Omega weapon at some point,) we're almost certainly going to see Ultima EM at some point.

Not necessarily in 2.3 though.

Taruranto

This game doesn't need more III, or XIII or VII or whatever, it needs to develop more original areas. It's not a crossover mmorpg, it's a mainline numbered entry. It needs to find its own identity, just like XI did.

QgQxEZX.jpg

Sea <3

Ken

This game doesn't need more III, or XIII or VII or whatever, it needs to develop more original areas. It's not a crossover mmorpg, it's a mainline numbered entry. It needs to find its own identity, just like XI did.

Sea <3

i've read enough dojinshi to know where this is going

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

Yoshida has pretty much turned this into "Final Fantasy Online: All Stars." That IS its identity.

saher

Banned
Truly CoP was amazing
also painfully long and annoying sometimes

I really want to know what theme they will go for in the first expansion storywise, i hope it have nothing to do with the Scions and grand companies

They are playing it really safe with the story just to be very FF and it can get really boring sometimes.

Kintaro

Yep... and I'm totally OK with this.

I'm okay with it as well. Just okay. Kind of disappointed in the sense that XI created its own identity over the years and this one just takes stuff from everything and got lucky it worked. I can understand why though. It was super safe.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I'm okay with it as well. Just okay. Kind of disappointed in the sense that XI created its own identity over the years and this one just takes stuff from everything and got lucky it worked. I can understand why though. It was super safe.

They needed FFXIV:ARR to be safe to start... after 1.0, this needed to be a crowd pleaser. But I agree, I hope that in time with a few expansions the game comes into it's own. Certainly has a nice base to work with right now.

WolvenOne

Considering that 2.0 is a reboot and really, "the start," of 14 proper, it's a pretty darn young MMO. It's going to have plenty of chances to forge its own identity, and as is, it's darn fun and satisfying.

I'll also agree that, considering 1.0's shortcomings, 2.0 really needed to play it safe, at least initially.

Edit: Also, I don't think this is an either/or situation. There's no reason 14 cannot continue to pay homage to FF games past, while establishing it's own identity. Given the size of MMO's, there's plenty of room for both.

I really want to see FATEs with coil-level mechanic. FATE is so boring because you don't really have to think of anything other than attacking.

Kintaro

They needed FFXIV:ARR to be safe to start... after 1.0, this needed to be a crowd pleaser. But I agree, I hope that in time with a few expansions the game comes into it's own. Certainly has a nice base to work with right now.

Yeah, my worry going ahead is that they have already saddled themselves with antagonists that can not die and I find all of that rather silly (from a storyline POV). Primals we can never kill, Ascians that will never die, an Empire that will never go away and an ancient civilization whose resources were infinite yet died off somehow. I hope they can move past these things going forward.

WolvenOne

I really want to see FATEs with coil-level mechanic. FATE is so boring because you don't really have to think of anything other than attacking.

Well, maybe not Coil level mechanics, but slightly more involved mechanics would be nice. Also, they need to do more to make Fate's relevant to endgame progression. Atma's were kinda an experiment at this, and overall worked decently well despite some balancing / RNG issues, but they're going to need more then that.

Kenai

Sea <3

It took several years for CoP to come out. I loved the outside area but found the Palace/gardens to just be a lot of boring hallways. Tanzania and Aht Urghan though...I loved just about everything about those. Right now we are about at sky if you consider 1.0 to be like the baseline story stuff I guess? Kinda hard to parallel this stuff...

I think at the very least, things like the EX Primals are on par with/better than sky. There's nothing to compare to Divine Might though, I'd like more stuff like that even if it was rare to see (provided the lewts were phat enough, the pony drop rate is depressing).

SkyOdin

There are a couple tricky FATEs, such as any FATE where the big monster can Stoneskin itself. The big 30 minute ones with hordes of powerful adds are pretty tricky, even with decent numbers of players.

But I seriously doubt that any FATE will involve mechanics as sophisticated as the stuff in the Coil. FATEs and high-end raids serve different purposes and interests. I do agree that they can spice them up more and add some additional tricks, though.

Rising_Hei

Sky and sea were better than anything FFXIV has imo :/ they're truly mmo experiences as well and not just a pack of instances that kills the mmo feeling. And what was great of FFXI is that new gears wouldnt make old's obsolete... FFXIV already killed that feeling of 2004-2008's FFXI.

As of the current state of the game, i'd say it's great for newcomers and PS4 players for now... unless they reach the point where they have to farm Atma and mithology (that's really dreadful and shady).

People like me who have been playing it since the start should be so bored already, and coil raiding is only 2-3 days a week, so...

The new patch will probably bring content that keep us entertained for another month ( i just hope this content isn't as stupid as last patch atmas), but they really need to outdo themselves with an expansion announcement soon that goes crazy with new ideas to keep me interested.

WolvenOne

Yeah, my worry going ahead is that they have already saddled themselves with antagonists that can not die and I find all of that rather silly (from a storyline POV). Primals we can never kill, Ascians that will never die, an Empire that will never go away and an ancient civilization whose resources were infinite yet died off somehow. I hope they can move past these things going forward.

Don't remember exactly where you quit but.

It's recently been revealed that Ascians can be killed, though albeit so far it seems to require some very specific circumstances.

Kenai

They could easily structure it like FF11 in that regard. Right now they are probably (hopefully)? going to bring some closure to the bigger picture of what's going on right now since obviously they haven't and most of the characters right now never got their story anywhere close to finished in 1.0. Then when they introduce the new areas they can introduce new problems there. There's a war actively going on with Ishenguard or w/e, and I'm sure
Ninja-lizard lady
has a story to tell that hasn't really been told, so we might get to go there someday. You just know that those areas are gonna be plot points later if they are talking about them now.

Places like sea/sky kinda came out of "nowhere" in the sense that they weren't on the original world map too, and we have a lot more ground left to cover on the continent we are on.

Zakalwe

Banned
I wish this game had a more involving overworld. The place just feels barren and artificial, and the sense of adventure is non-existent because it's entirely lacking any danger.

Can't even bring myself to login for more than a couple of minutes. I loved this game for months and now it just feels like a chore to click the launcher. It's not like I burnt out either, I only have my tank at coil level and a couple of 30s gearing up.

I'm hoping a couple of months off make me love this game again.

Broken heart. Sob.

Teknoman

The dungeons seem pretty original (Brayflox onward) and Broken Water looks great, but yeah some more out there but original places would be nice.

At any rate, they just need an expansion now, something to really kick start the whole
Zodiark
saga. Speaking of, do we have to spoil the main antagonist at this point?

Well I passed my first trial, but I wound up watching the last 3-4 minutes with my character dead, lol. Man did I feel like a real loser. At least I am now in a GC and can start grinding seals for my mount. Are fates the best way to get seals at lower levels or should I be doing something else?

jiggle

Well I passed my first trial, but I wound up watching the last 3-4 minutes with my character dead, lol. Man did I feel like a real loser. At least I am now in a GC and can start grinding seals for my mount. Are fates the best way to get seals at lower levels or should I be doing something else?

you can also get seals from doing GC hunting logs
and if you craft/gather(or just buy the items)
you can turn in items to supply&provisions quests for seals

Kintaro

Bah, even though I have some big beefs with the game and its world, I still miss playing it. Probably the people more than anything.

BLCKATK

It'll come in time. I think Coil is the shining star when it comes to the identity of this game.

dcye

I am a mere ~280 myth away from this. so so so scared.

speaking of which, is a full CT run now worth 120 myth? Websites say 100 but I was doing the math and if so I somehow ended up with an extra 20 myth somewhere...

DRLL 80
DRMS 60
beast dailies 30
CT ???
total = 290.

DRLL is 60 myth, but DRMS is actually 100 myth.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So, I'm queuing up for my first Primal fight(Ifrit). Any tips? I'm a lvl 23 THM.

Kinda nervous, lol, since this is my first big boss ever in an MMO.
Focus on the Nail when it pops up mid battle. if it isn't killed asap the boss enrages causing a wipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom