• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IvorB

So Black Mage users, what are your thoughts on firestarter? I read somewhere that I should stop using Fire III and just use Fire I in the hope of getting the free Fire III but I am not sure about this. Fire I is pretty wimpy to be used as my main attack. I was planning to mix it up. What do you guys think?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Oh boy. End of the year... I know WoW is on the decline and all, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the Warlords of Draenor release.

decline has nothing to do with WoW. The game always sees a 2-3 month sub bump after each xpac. I mean I haven't subbed since early 2013 and even I'm going back to WoD for a little bit.

Hasney

Can we stop calling them XPacs? It keeps putting the theme tune of the wrestling group X Factor into my head D:

214121117_1364254445.jpg

Dunan

So Black Mage users, what are your thoughts on firestarter? I read somewhere that I should stop using Fire III and just use Fire I in the hope of getting the free Fire III but I am not sure about this. Fire I is pretty wimpy to be used as my main attack. I was planning to mix it up. What do you guys think?

Fire I is actually more effective per unit of MP consumed. One compromise method is to start with a Fire 3 to boost Astral Fire to three right away, then repeat Fire 1 until MP run low, inserting "bonus" castings of Fire 3 with Firestarter makes them cost-free. Occasionally, you will get multiple casts of Fire 3 in one rotation before having to go bck to Ice 3 to regain MP.

Unrelated question: I've done a lot of the postgame content, but have seen no signs of anything Atma-related. How does that quest get started>

Hasney

Unrelated question: I've done a lot of the postgame content, but have seen no signs of anything Atma-related. How does that quest get started>

Have you got your relic weapon yet? If not, head up to the North Shroud and get started.

Have you already got it? Then buy 3 tubs of mist at Revenants Toll for myth, dump them and your relic weapon in the fire behind the guy that gave you the relic quest and you'll get your Zenith weapon.

Got that? North shroud area should now have a new quest about collecting the ATMAs.

Fire I is actually more effective per unit of MP consumed. One compromise method is to start with a Fire 3 to boost Astral Fire to three right away, then repeat Fire 1 until MP run low, inserting "bonus" castings of Fire 3 with Firestarter makes them cost-free. Occasionally, you will get multiple casts of Fire 3 in one rotation before having to go bck to Ice 3 to regain MP.

You have to have gotten your Zenith relic weapon and have it equipped. Then talk to Gerolt in North Shroud and he'll give you the quest Up in Arms to start the Atma chain.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
A lot of the cat girls in this game are using that long hair, short bang hairstyle now and it's starting to bug me for some reason...

creid

Can we stop calling them XPacs? It keeps putting the theme tune of the wrestling group X Factor into my head D:

214121117_1364254445.jpg
YO YOU DEALIN WITH THE X-FACTUH
You'll get a quest about it after you've upgraded your relic to a Zenith.

Dunan

Have you got your relic weapon yet? If not, head up to the North Shroud and get started.

Have you already got it? Then buy 3 tubs of mist at Revenants Toll for myth, dump them and your relic weapon in the fire behind the guy that gave you the relic quest and you'll get your Zenith weapon.

Got that? North shroud area should now have a new quest about collecting the ATMAs.

Got the relic weapon and have (I think) about 300 myth tomes. Time to farm more, I suppose! And I imagine that Gerolt mentioned this back when I got the relic, but that the time I was just happy to finally have that weapon!

borghe

A lot of the cat girls in this game are using that long hair, short bang hairstyle now and it's starting to bug me for some reason...

huh? Which one? This is my char below and every time I go to the aesthetician I can't find a style I like better. Will probably fantasia to a male lala for a bit once they sell them in mogstation.

216ccb5e3d395128d4a851702238bd3b_c514cdcdb619439df97d906d4434ccc6fl0_264x360.jpg

anyway, 140 more myth to my zenith and then the atma hunt begins. may take it relaxed doing that while leveling THM for swiftcast.

dramatis

Got the relic weapon and have (I think) about 300 myth tomes. Time to farm more, I suppose! And I imagine that Gerolt mentioned this back when I got the relic, but that the time I was just happy to finally have that weapon!
There's a moogle near Gerolt that comments on his terrible hobbies and also on how to turn your relic into a zenith weapon.

What it really entails is you buy some kind of mist from Gerolt's worst enemy, Rowena, and then you go back to North Shroud, waltz past Gerolt, and just use his forge however you please.

I'm actually glad there's going to be some side quests involving Gerolt. He's a has-been that's clearly quite subpar now seeing as how you have to upgrade what he makes for you to get its full potential, but Gerolt is like a guy you can have a beer with and then leave behind at the bar when he's drunk.

I'd rather be on #TeamGerolt than #TeamRowena anyway, she's a scumbag capitalist.

Cmagus

Generally my rotation goes

Thunder II -> Fire I (till Fire III proc) -> Fire III (when proc available) -> Fire I (till low mp) -> Blizzard III -> Thunder II

That's my general rotation although that can switch up abit depending on the burn needed and the procs when available. It's pretty basic but it gives a steady flow of consistent damage. Plus there is almost at least two damage procs during this rotation for Fire III and often a Thunder II one as well but I always save that for Blizzard III.

I like to use Thunder II after after Blizzard III because it can be cast without interrupting the Blizzard III mp refill and I'm usually full mp by time Thunder II is done casting plus its faster to cast during tough times. If swiftcast is available I'll sometimes throw that in with a Flare.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Ran Stone Vigil for the first time last night, was rad running an all-GAF party. Really looking forward to doing more late/end game stuff with the FC.

Raijinken

Unfortunately, this is how it's going to be for every single patch that releases new hairstyles. All of them wearing the new hairstyle until a new one is released for them all to hop on. Just looking at cat girls nowadays annoys me greatly...

IvorB

Yeah 40% chance is pretty good I guess. I guess I can open with Fire III for the Astral and then fish for the freebie with Fire I. If I don't get the freebie I can always chuck in a regular Fire III before the Transpose. I was just loving my Fire III > Swiftcast > Fire III combo for the big BOOM. I just got Firestarter last night and it's making me rethink everything.

Tex117

Banned

Your basic rotation

Thunder 3>>>Fire 3>>>fire (until low)>>>(you can add conversion/flare stuff here if you are good)>>>Blizzard 3>>>Thunder 2>>>>Fire 3>>>Fire (repeat)

Add raging strikes in there for the boost. Usually after your first Fire 3.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
huh? Which one? This is my char below and every time I go to the aesthetician I can't find a style I like better. Will probably fantasia to a male lala for a bit once they sell them in mogstation.

216ccb5e3d395128d4a851702238bd3b_c514cdcdb619439df97d906d4434ccc6fl0_264x360.jpg

anyway, 140 more myth to my zenith and then the atma hunt begins. may take it relaxed doing that while leveling THM for swiftcast.

This one:

BoR4vs6CIAA7D4R.png

danthefan

So I have a healer and a tank leveled now, is there a DPS class that is the most fun to play? I'm thinking of going for Lancer/Dragoon.

So I'm doing my relic quest as a WAR and I'm up to the "last step" which involves killing every primal again in Hard Mode, plus spending like 200 myth on some oil. Fun.

I haven't unlocked Garuda and Titan yet. Not sure where those are. I'll google it when I get home.

So I'm fighting the first boss for the relic, the hydra I think. I say I'm new, doing my relic and if anyone had any tips. Nothing.

After the first wipe I learn we're suppose to move it to the other end of the arena for some undisclosed reason. Then the other tank (a PLD) is telling me to stop fighting him for hate and to just DPS. I didn't quite understand why, so I'm hoping some of you might be able to explain.

After the fight I realized I could have taken Defiance off since I wasn't taking any damage and my DPS would have been much better. Which leads me to my next question. Is it worth it to have a "DPS" gear set for a WAR for such occasions? Also how much worse is a WAR at DPS than a dedicated DPS class. I know it's worse, but maybe it's close enough that it's worthwhile for 8 man content that only needs 1 tank in DF.

That also made me think that in certain situations turning Defiance off might be optimal. Like for some easy mobs. In one dungeon after a death I forgot to turn it on for a few fights. Still had no trouble getting hate and they probably went a little faster. The cooldown is only 10 seconds, so with some skill maybe it could work. Thoughts?

ShinMaruku

Fire 3 takes too much mp and casts a bit too slow, therefore it's set the bring you to fire stance 3 where you spam quicker fire 1 to get procs of fire starter with instant and free fire 3 where you can sail in more fire 3 than just casting it normally and running out of MP faster.

Wilsongt

So I'm doing my relic quest as a WAR and I'm up to the "last step" which involves killing every primal again in Hard Mode, plus spending like 200 myth on some oil. Fun.

I haven't unlocked Garuda and Titan yet. Not sure where those are. I'll google it when I get home. After you beat Ifrit, go back to Waking Sands and talk to Uriange again. He'll tell you to attune with Ruda's crystal, which is in Natalan in Coerthas. Then Titan's crystal is in O'Ghmorro mines in Outer La Noscea.

So I'm fighting the first boss for the relic, the hydra I think. I say I'm new, doing my relic and if anyone had any tips. Nothing.

After the first wipe I learn we're suppose to move it to the other end of the arena for some undisclosed reason. Then the other tank (a PLD) is telling me to stop fighting him for hate and to just DPS. I didn't quite understand why, so I'm hoping some of you might be able to explain.

After the fight I realized I could have taken Defiance off since I wasn't taking any damage and my DPS would have been much better. Which leads me to my next question. Is it worth it to have a "DPS" gear set for a WAR for such occasions? Also how much worse is a WAR at DPS than a dedicated DPS class. I know it's worse, but maybe it's close enough that it's worthwhile for 8 man content that only needs 1 tank in DF.
For hydra, you really only need one tank. You can DPS as a warrior more feasibly than a PLD, just try not to use enmity generating skills. When Hydra moves to the center of the ring, you need to stand under him to avoid a room wide AoE. Also, avoid the floor AoE's and try to stay out of the center when he is not there to avoid persistent AoE's. When adds pop, you can go and grab them.

That also made me think that in certain situations turning Defiance off might be optimal. Like for some easy mobs. In one dungeon after a death I forgot to turn it on for a few fights. Still had no trouble getting hate and they probably went a little faster. The cooldown is only 10 seconds, so with some skill maybe it could work. Thoughts?

If you're the only tank, I think Defiance is a must. I don't know though, as I haven't leveled up WAR.

So I have a healer and a tank leveled now, is there a DPS class that is the most fun to play? I'm thinking of going for Lancer/Dragoon.

I've been leveling Monk and I can definitely recommend it. The attacks come out super fast and there's a lot of repositioning required, but it's very fun being kept on my feet.

Mupod

I haven't unlocked Garuda and Titan yet. Not sure where those are. I'll google it when I get home.

if you're planning on doing everything with randoms in the duty finder then you're expected to read up on the fights. You might get lucky and find someone with patience to explain but don't count on it. Yeah they're mean but that's no excuse to be lazy.

Many of the people in there are only in it in order to do their daily roulette, and combined with echo will be quite capable of carrying you to a win unless you're actively sabotaging them (which you were unintentionally doing on Hydra). If you're okay with going in blind and being a dead weight then you better be ready to take some verbal abuse.

If that sounds unpleasant your other option is to ask GAF for help (assuming you're on ultros), which will get it done but honestly I would recommend at least putting in some effort and research. The fights are fun and worth learning. Although Titan HM requires very little of you even if you somehow end up as the main tank.

For Hydra in particular the main thing you need to know as a tank is that his frontal cleave shares damage between everything it hits. So you let one tank hold aggro and have the other also stand in front of Hydra to help eat the cleaves. You also need to keep him along the edges of the arena and move him when he drops those AOE fire things down. This is because periodically he does an attack that requires everyone to move into the center, and you'll kill everyone if you're dropping AOEs everywhere.

As for your WAR questions - if it's a single tank fight like Titan HM then let the more geared tank take over and go with defiance off. You can use storm's eye and storm's path to support him while ensuring you won't accidentally pull aggro. This is one of the nice advantages warriors have, you get more control over your aggro generation while simultaneously helping the other tank. Once you reach fights with tank swapping (titan/ifrit EX, coil turn 2) you'll really appreciate this aspect of the class.

In dungeons, keep it on. You need to learn how to do your rotations to build fury and hold aggro without thinking about it, and repetition is the best way to do it. Steel Cyclone is so good that you generally want to have it up for each new pull, if you just want to do some burst damage then you have Unchained. Never forget Infuriate, its cooldown is pretty short and it's a huge boost to your aoe threat if used right.

Obviously it's best to leave it off when soloing. But personally I actually take my job crystal off entirely in solo play because marauder can equip better cross-class DPS abilities.

aceface

Yeah if it's the first boss then it's Chimera (not Hydra) and for some reason it's standard to fight him on the hill on the other side from where he spawns. I think it has something to do with the elevation change on the hill making it so his breath attacks won't hit the ranged folks and the healers. The WAR specific stuff I'm not sure on, never played that class.

And honestly I don't think it's necessary to watch videos going into the relic quest bosses. Keep in mind if you don't you'll probably die and get carried to a win, but if that doesn't bother you then go for it. Anything above that though (ex primals and coil) watching a video first is pretty much necessary.

borghe

no offense, but as a tank you sure as damn hell better watch videos before ANY boss fight. you literally lead the tempo and positioning of every single fight you MT, and/or contribute massively to the same in every fight you OT. By queuing DR and not knowing the fight, you almost guarantee that other people will die because of it, which isn't fair to them. I don't want to say meanness is ever deserved, however if you are going into a fight not knowing it and causing deaths or wiping as a result, people getting pissed about it is 100% understandable.

If you want to go into a fight without watching a guide first and learning it on the fly, put together a party in PF or ask your FC. If that's what you want to do and can find a group to go with you that's perfectly acceptable. But to queue up in DF like that is kind of a dick move. and saying "hey guys I'm new to this fight. anything I should know?" isn't really any better.

again I don't mean to offend at all. but choosing to play a tank means a certain level of responsibility and accountability that goes with it. There are most of the time 7 other people, spending their probably precious real life time, depending on you.

And honestly I don't think it's necessary to watch videos going into the relic quest bosses. Keep in mind if you don't you'll probably die and get carried to a win, but if that doesn't bother you then go for it. Anything above that though (ex primals and coil) watching a video first is pretty much necessary.

he's a tank. in a full party there are going to be two tank fights that he won't be able to be carried through.

WolvenOne

So, does anyone here have experience with both Pingzapper and Battleping? I've been using the former, and though it seems to reduce the number and severity of lagspikes, I do still get them on occasion. I'm considering trying Battleping, to see if it works any better.

Also, now that I have a few days until the next shot at second Coil, I'm going to seriously consider doing the computer upgrade I've been talking about tonight. Worst case scenario I suppose, is that I bork both my new and old machine, and have to spend 450USD on both a PS4 and copy of the game, until I get one or the other fixed...

....did I mention I really hate PC's sometimes? :p

Mupod

I'm not a tank so correct me if I'm wrong but I think all of those relic quest fights can be single tanked pretty easily.

Ifrit and Titan yes. Garuda HM is single tankable even with sub-70 gear but I'd be pretty annoyed if the other tank came in expecting me to just do everything while he stood in a corner. That fight still requires more from the tanks than most in this game, even nowadays since everybody has seemingly forgotten how to do the fight without simply overpowering it during the eye phase.

Either way the free ride for offtanks stops after Titan. So why get into that habit?

dark_chris

I had an interesting run in last night. Some Gaffers on Ultros heard the story.
I was running Thousand Maws in DR. One of the tanks was sucking massively and then left the group. While we waited for a new tank to come in, I decided we can try taking on the monsters, the smaller groups anyway until we got to those sets of three where we couldn't obviously handle it much.

Well, the healer was giving me a hard time about it, saying I should be able to hold hate. I said thats impossible to HOLD hate cause I'm a dps and he's a healer. DPS doesn't have aggro growing abilities. When I tried like he wanted, the monsters obviously went to him. He said I just don't know how to tank properly and know nothing about tanking. Galen came in as a replacement tank around that time.
When i said to the healer I'm a ilvl 95 tank and that I know how aggro works and doesn't work (in the case as a dps), he immediately shut up the entire run of the dungeon.

Definitely set him straight. :3

Winter John

no offense, but as a tank you sure as damn hell better watch videos before ANY boss fight.

I agree. Today I tried to do the thousand Maw of toto-rak dungeon. I've done it before and I don't remember having any problems with it. Today was altogether different. The first tank we had charged into everything, didn't bother to stop and let the team get their mana back and basically annoyed everyone so much that the dungeon was abandoned. On my next attempt we had a tank who wouldn't use flash, that was just brilliant. We repeatedly asked him to flash, but nope, so I was constantly attacked while trying to heal the other 3 guys and myself and couldn't do it. Eventually we voted him out, but never got a replacement despite waiting for over 20 mins, then abandoning. I've just lvl'ed up my archanist so I can go through that dungeon again, and hopefully be able to get it through it, without having to rely on the next tank too much.

dark_chris

ok fair enough. no I don't believe there are any tank swaps up through Titan HM.

There is none, but one tank can be the DPS (paladin uses sword oath and the warrior leaves defiance off unless they wanna use it with infuriate to immediately do an attack then turn off defiance right after to get a high hit in).

if you're planning on doing everything with randoms in the duty finder then you're expected to read up on the fights. You might get lucky and find someone with patience to explain but don't count on it. Yeah they're mean but that's no excuse to be lazy.

Many of the people in there are only in it in order to do their daily roulette, and combined with echo will be quite capable of carrying you to a win unless you're actively sabotaging them (which you were unintentionally doing on Hydra). If you're okay with going in blind and being a dead weight then you better be ready to take some verbal abuse.

If that sounds unpleasant your other option is to ask GAF for help (assuming you're on ultros), which will get it done but honestly I would recommend at least putting in some effort and research. The fights are fun and worth learning. Although Titan HM requires very little of you even if you somehow end up as the main tank.

I have no interest in spoiling the fights for myself beforehand, I have no problem wiping a few times and can take the abuse. Plus tank queues are instantaneous. I have no problem practicing to learn a fight. One of the must fun fights I've had was Garuda where only 1 guy knew the fight, the DPS were a little undergeared and we wiped 4 times before finally beating her. I just don't see the appeal in memorizing fights through videos, I'd rather use that time to play. If people get pissy so be it. The game is paying them to help lower level players, the least they could do is be helpful IMO. The other day I did Tam tara in the low level roulette and the level of play there is just unreal. Instead of getting all pissy about it though, I just helped them out. I did get a laugh about this pugilist running ahead and coming back a while later with 5 mobs chasing him. He was like "sorry I got too close". Of course I saved his ass and I'm sure he knows better now. That's what the game was paying me 60 myth tomes for.

For Hydra in particular the main thing you need to know as a tank is that his frontal cleave shares damage between everything it hits. So you let one tank hold aggro and have the other also stand in front of Hydra to help eat the cleaves. You also need to keep him along the edges of the arena and move him when he drops those AOE fire things down. This is because periodically he does an attack that requires everyone to move into the center, and you'll kill everyone if you're dropping AOEs everywhere.

I got confused I meant Chimera. For Hydra I acted as the main tank. All it really took was for someone to tell me, tank in the corner, make it face the corner. Explanations don't really need to be all that much involved IMO, the rest you can figure as you go along. We took it down on the first try, though I did die once.

As for your WAR questions - if it's a single tank fight like Titan HM then let the more geared tank take over and go with defiance off. You can use storm's eye and storm's path to support him while ensuring you won't accidentally pull aggro. This is one of the nice advantages warriors have, you get more control over your aggro generation while simultaneously helping the other tank. Once you reach fights with tank swapping (titan/ifrit EX, coil turn 2) you'll really appreciate this aspect of the class.

In dungeons, keep it on. You need to learn how to do your rotations to build fury and hold aggro without thinking about it, and repetition is the best way to do it. Steel Cyclone is so good that you generally want to have it up for each new pull, if you just want to do some burst damage then you have Unchained. Never forget Infuriate, its cooldown is pretty short and it's a huge boost to your aoe threat if used right.

Obviously it's best to leave it off when soloing. But personally I actually take my job crystal off entirely in solo play because marauder can equip better cross-class DPS abilities.

Now that's interesting. WAR should have better stats though. And where I'm at, access to much better equipment, but maybe that's not the case for you anymore (I did get a chest piece exactly the same as the piece I got for my job lvl50 quest, but able to be equipped by MAR). What cross class skills do you normally use for DPS?

I use Steel Cyclone from time to time, but I haven't been able to check how much better than Overpower it is. I have a macro that will cast Steel Cyclone and if that's not available it casts Overpower. I think it's pretty clever and it saves me a slot on my main hotbar (which are at a premium on a controller set up). Unchained though I almost never use. In what situation would it be better than Inner Rage? I'm guessing you'd have to use it in combination with Berserk or something to be worthwhile, maybe I'm wrong. For bosses though the heal and damage reductions are too good to pass up IMO. Then again maybe I'm overusing it, overhealing myself when I could be using Unchained instead, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom