• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

PSA for Warriors. Damage dealt to mobs by Vengeance counts for Bloodbath.

Warrior OP.

funny thing is now that I have this 100 weapon I heal myself so much in brayflox pulls that I don't even need it. I tend to use it when gathering mobs or after bloodbath runs out in order to ease up on the damage. Granted most of my bray runs are with suboptimal DF groups who can't kill things super fast.

I sure do have a knack for getting killed at the end of a trial. Latest incident:
Battle on the Big Bridge.

I thought we was buddies, Greg ;____;

chrono01

So Black Mage users, what are your thoughts on firestarter? I read somewhere that I should stop using Fire III and just use Fire I in the hope of getting the free Fire III but I am not sure about this. Fire I is pretty wimpy to be used as my main attack. I was planning to mix it up. What do you guys think?
I know it's already been posted by others, but my general rotation as a BLM goes like this:

Thunder II --> Fire III --> Fire I [until around 400 Mana] --> Blizzard III --> Thunder II --> Fire III [when at full Mana] --> Fire I [Repeat]

Use Firestarter/Thunderstruck proc's as they happen, but never cancel a cast to do so. Obviously use Thunder III on the proc since it will both be instant and cost no Mana, and prioritize that above Firestarter [since you can get another Thunderstruck proc, effectively wasting the first one, if you don't].

If all of my CD's are up, my rotation is:

Thunder II --> Fire III --> Raging Strikes --> Fire I [until around 400 Mana] --> Swiftcast --> Flare --> Convert --> Fire I --> Blizzard III --> Thunder II --> Fire III [when at full Mana] ---> Fire I [Repeat]

I mean really this. this right here. The harder fights are already hard even when you've actually read guides or watched the videos. Titan HM I watched the guide and still wiped every time on the third configuration of bombs (the rows).

That AV fight I was talking about, the tank would actually run over to pick up the adds on the dragon wiping the party CONTINUOUSLY because of firing arcs behind the dragon. We were like "dude you DO NOT have to move" and he said "I can grab them fast enough before his next attack"

The irony in crazygambit's statements is that he is essentially ok with having the fights "spoiled"... as long as they are (apparently) "spoiled" in party chat.. wtf?? so it's ok if someone explains the whole fight to him in chat but heaven forbid he just go to a guide first? if it was really about avoiding spoilers you'd think he seemingly wouldn't want the fights explained at all. the more he describes it the less it seems to have to do with spoilers and more with just laziness. if it was really about "the thrill of discovery" it would almost make way more sense to just find a group of individuals all thinking along those lines, make an FC and do that sort of thing together. at this point the "I don't want to be spoiled" line holds up less and less, especially with being ok to have the fight explained to him in chat.

To be fair, I've tried doing PF or getting people in the FC to help (particularly with the latter story dungeons) with zero success. It's probably because of time differences, since maintenance time usually cuts right in my playing time, and I assume they pick the time with the least amount of people.

Also if you think, a quick "tank in the corner, make and make it face the other way" or they'll be AoE in the outer corner, then the middle, then stick to the boss' butt" is remotely the same as seeing it on video I don't know what to tell you.

SkyOdin

I use to think like you. Then, right about the time I got to turn 4, someone tried to give me a typed explanation for what was going on and as it went on for page after page I decided "screw it, I'm watching a video." And the ex primals are a lot worse than turn 4. These fights get really complex. I stand by what I said before- I think it's ok to go in fresh for everything up to the end of the relic quest. After that you are going to be wanting to watch videos first because if you don't you are going to spend 90 minutes just learning the basic mechanics. It's way too much for a typed description.

If I fail at something, I do check videos or look up guides. But I don't want to give up experiencing things fresh and learning through that experience. When the first players reached and challenged these fights, no one had written any guides for them to follow. So people did learn these fights simply through experience. I'm trailing behind those pioneers, but I still would like some of that experience: of learning by watching the fight unfold and discovering what works.

Besides, what matters most in a tough fight is experience. No one is going to do a fight perfectly on their first attempt, even if they watch a video. It takes experiencing the fight for yourself to obtain mastery. Few guides are accurate and comprehensive enough to cover every role and part of a fight, either.

creid

Quick question to other dragoons..

In dungeons like BF hm where you mostly aoe a whole bunch of mobs...

What's your go to?
I haven't tried ring of thorns yet, I usually do well-aimed doom spikes + cooldowns + boosted dragonfire dive, and even with invigorate I'm out of TP when the mobs are down to about 10% hp. If there's a better way, I'd love to hear it.

Quick question to other dragoons..

In dungeons like BF hm where you mostly aoe a whole bunch of mobs...

What's your go to?

Do you use Heavy Thrust before doing the spinning attack (can't remember the name on top of my head right now) to get the combo effect? That's what I've done for a while, it seemed TP efficient to do so as I rarely run out of TP doing that.

Or do you just use the spinning attack? Or somehow you can manage to do Doomspike without running out of TP?

Doing the math, it seemed like just the spinning attack would do the most damage?

I usually do Heavy Thrust > Ring of Thorns, pop Blood for Blood and Internal Release, then start throwing out Doomspikes and using Dragonfire Dive. Not sure how efficient that is, though ^^;

Ken

This one:

BoR4vs6CIAA7D4R.png

that is a top tier catgirl

if only i had an extra fantasia

SkyOdin

i feel sorry for the people that queue Turn X or a boss fight and have to wait over 20 minutes just for a tank who doesn't know the mechanics.
I'm sorry, but if you don't like the parties you get in the Duty Finder, then don't use the Duty Finder. Use the Party Finder or build a group from FC friends. The Duty Finder is going to be full of unoptomized players and people who don't know the battle. Ranting on a message board about it isn't going to change that fact.

As a tank, I make an effort to be accommodating to the play-styles of the people I team up with. But I expect the people I party up with to be accommodating as well. That is the only way for things to work in an MMO.

WolvenOne

To be fair, I've tried doing PF or getting people in the FC to help (particularly with the latter story dungeons) with zero success. It's probably because of time differences, since maintenance time usually cuts right in my playing time, and I assume they pick the time with the least amount of people.

Also if you think, a quick "tank in the corner, make and make it face the other way" or they'll be AoE in the outer corner, then the middle, then stick to the boss' butt" is remotely the same as seeing it on video I don't know what to tell you.

Again, any fight with such simple mechanics probably doesn't seem a video. You appear to still be on the fresh-50 content for the most part. It's the later stuff that's complex enough that videos and guides start becoming a practical necessity.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Im so weak. Picked up a time card. Ill be running around Ultros soon enough again. Lol say hi to renoob. =)

jiggle

While I can understand both sides of the argument
What you just described
Why not read up on a written a guide first then?

WolvenOne

Incidentally, I'm putting my money on 2.3 hitting around, June 24-27th. That'd be almost exactly three months after 2.2 hit, and so far they really seem to be aiming for two months intervals.

So, I think we'll see some data come out of the Liveletter, some early announcement about the expansion at E3. (Such as a title and pure CG teaser trailer,) then we'll see another live letter in the middle of June, meant to further drum up hype for the 2.3 expansion.

Basically, this seems like the sort of thing Square would do. They're pretty good at getting people hyped up for their patches and expansions.

Kyolux

Im so weak. Picked up a time card. Ill be running around Ultros soon enough again. Lol say hi to renoob. =)

That was me last week. :) (except of credit card instead of time card since I have legacy price anyway)

I haven't tried ring of thorns yet, I usually do well-aimed doom spikes + cooldowns + boosted dragonfire dive, and even with invigorate I'm out of TP when the mobs are down to about 10% hp. If there's a better way, I'd love to hear it.

I usually do Heavy Thrust > Ring of Thorns, pop Blood for Blood and Internal Release, then start throwing out Doomspikes and using Dragonfire Dive. Not sure how efficient that is, though ^^;

I usually do heavy thrust > ring of thorns > heavy thrust > ring of thorns with no TP problems at all. I usally end up using Invigorate, and I do buff up a dragonfire dive and all that. But yeah, still curious to see if someone did/could measure this.

WolvenOne

I usually do heavy thrust > ring of thorns > heavy thrust > ring of thorns with no TP problems at all. I usally end up using Invigorate, and I do buff up a dragonfire dive and all that. But yeah, still curious to see if someone did/could measure this.

While I am no master DRG, I would think that having to waste a GCD on a relatively weak single target attack, would make Ring of Thorns overall less effective than just spamming Doom Spike.

I mean, yes, Doom Spike does a little less damage, but not that much less, and you can use two Doom Spikes for every Ring of Thorn.

Kyolux

Incidentally, I'm putting my money on 2.3 hitting around, June 24-27th. That'd be almost exactly three months after 2.2 hit, and so far they really seem to be aiming for two months intervals.

So, I think we'll see some data come out of the Liveletter, some early announcement about the expansion at E3. (Such as a title and pure CG teaser trailer,) then we'll see another live letter in the middle of June, meant to further drum up hype for the 2.3 expansion.

Basically, this seems like the sort of thing Square would do. They're pretty good at getting people hyped up for their patches and expansions.

So much stuff we already know is coming in the near future..

Golden Saucer, new jobs (can't wait for thief/ninja, will probably be my first job I take 1-50 in ARR), new lvl cap, CT round 2. What else do we know?

While I am no master DRG, I would think that having to waste a GCD on a relatively weak single target attack, would make Ring of Thorns overall less effective than just spamming Doom Spike.

I mean, yes, Doom Spike does a little less damage, but not that much less, and you can use two Doom Spikes for every Ring of Thorn.

My main concern is to be able to go on as long as possible if the other DPS isn't well-geared/bad. Yeah, I'm 100% sure Doom Spikes in short burst is the most effective choice for sure. But I dunno, I rather it take a bit more time than to have to wait on TP if I just didn't do enough.

WolvenOne

So much stuff we already know is coming in the near future..

Golden Saucer, new jobs (can't wait for thief/ninja, will probably be my first job I take 1-50 in ARR), new lvl cap, CT round 2. What else do we know?

We don't know plenty. For starters, of the stuff you named, we don't know when a lot of it is going to hit, though CT is a given for 2.3.

The expansion is supposed to give us as much content as 2.0 did, but of course the bulk of that will be at high level this time. Given that this is an enormous amount of content, I'd say we hardly know anything at this time about the expansion.

As for 2.3, well, CT2, new Primal fight, a couple new trials, three new dungeuns, personal housing, and a new PVP mode. Essentially a 2.1 redux.

Kyolux

We don't know plenty. For starters, of the stuff you named, we don't know when a lot of it is going to hit, though CT is a given for 2.3.

The expansion is supposed to give us as much content as 2.0 did, but of course the bulk of that will be at high level this time. Given that this is an enormous amount of content, I'd say we hardly know anything at this time about the expansion.

As for 2.3, well, CT2, new Primal fight, a couple new trials, three new dungeuns, personal housing, and a new PVP mode. Essentially a 2.1 redux.

On phone right now but I thought I read somewhere this week that those things were all with or soo after 2.3 hits?

WolvenOne

On phone right now but I thought I read somewhere this week that those things were all with or soo after 2.3 hits?

Well we haven't really heard anything concreate about Gold Saucer in ages, so who knows when that's coming and what it'll look like.

As for the new jobs, those have been talked about, and hinted at very heavily in the 2.2 story content, buuuuut, it's never been confirmed when we'd actually see those jobs. Honestly, unless the expansion is another year off, I wouldn't be shocked if the jobs weren't added until the expansion.

Historically, it seems as if expansions are where they've typically added new jobs/classes, for a lot of MMO's.

Kyolux

Well we haven't really heard anything concreate about Gold Saucer in ages, so who knows when that's coming and what it'll look like.

As for the new jobs, those have been talked about, and hinted at very heavily in the 2.2 story content, buuuuut, it's never been confirmed when we'd actually see those jobs. Honestly, unless the expansion is another year off, I wouldn't be shocked if the jobs weren't added until the expansion.

Historically, it seems as if expansions are where they've typically added new jobs/classes, for a lot of MMO's.

Couldn't find info on gold saucer about timing so I might have misread that one but new jobs were mentioned last month.
http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/240ty3/frontlines_new_classes_new_summoner_pets_new/

Gun and Dagger class/jobs were both confirmed and coming sooner than people think. Apparently soon after 2.3. (He said we are saving this info for E3-Announcements, looking forward to June 10th!)
The gun class isn't what people are expecting it to be.
Frontlines are aiming to be in 2.3! (They made it seem like it was an 8v8v8, not confirmed though)]

WolvenOne

aceface

Downed Levi EX today.
Our party was almost too good, pushed that damage so hard.
It was

That's cool. Run it wth me (Tomo Takino) tonight for weapons. I'm having trouble finding people who want to run it any more. Even though I beat it I still could also use more practice. I love how on Levi ex you get a stack to show off just who's getting hit by dives. Mark of shame.

IvorB

Transpose reset your astral buff to level I which you then have to build up again, losing dps per cast until then. By using Blizzard III or Fire III to change your elemental aspect you automatically gain the level III buff. So you would only use transpose to go from Fire to Ice if your out of MP, otherwise you always use level III magic to switch between the two elements.

But transpose is instant and it means you're regaining MP right away rather than waiting for the full cast of Blizzard III before you start getting mana back (and your first Fire III cast will do more damage). That's the way I see it anyway. If you did Fire -> Transpose -> Blizzard III your mana is regenerating during your Blizzard III cast rather than after it.

Just did Darkhold for the first time. The boss fights were pretty awesome.

Kyolux

I'd heard about the new pets, but I'd chocked the new classes thing up to vagueness created by the language barrier. Who knows though, very well could come sooner I suppose. Though, the soonest I'd expect new classes is 2.4.

Agreed, for sure. Translations sometimes bring in some strange rumors. But those two npcs seemed quite eager to start training others. Guess we'll see.

chrono01

But transpose is instant and it means you're regaining MP right away rather than waiting for the full cast of Blizzard III before you start getting mana back (and your first Fire III cast will do more damage). That's the way I see it anyway. If you did Fire -> Transpose -> Blizzard III your mana is regenerating during your Blizzard III cast rather than after it.

Just did Darkhold for the first time. The boss fights were pretty awesome.
When in Astral Fire III, your Blizzard III cast is halved, meaning it doesn't take long at all to switch. It's similar to being in Umbral Ice III and having your Fire III spell halved. Using Transpose is never a good idea, unless you somehow mess up your rotation and don't have enough for a Blizzard III. Even then, you could always use Convert or a Mana Potion to fix it.

The only time I use Transpose is during AOE Fire II/Flare rotations or after battle so I can regain mana before we pull again [if I didn't manage to get a Blizzard III on the enemy before it died].

IvorB

When in Astral Fire III, your Blizzard III cast is halved, meaning it doesn't take long at all to switch. It's similar to being in Umbral Ice III and having your Fire III spell halved. Using Transpose is never a good idea, unless you somehow mess up your rotation and don't have enough for a Blizzard III. Even then, you could always use Convert or a Mana Potion to fix it.

The only time I use Transpose is during AOE Fire II/Flare rotations or after battle so I can regain mana before we pull again [if I didn't manage to get a Blizzard III on the enemy before it died].

I didn't know about casts being halved. But even then transpose is instant. Why would you not want to start regaining mana right away?

Skilletor

I didn't know about casts being halved. But even then transpose is instant. Why would you not want to start regaining mana right away?

Because you start in start at lvl 1 Umbral/Astral instead of lvl 3, which means you're doing less damage until you get back up to lvl 3.

chrono01

Because being in Umbral Ice III will literally refill your mana in a matter of seconds, long enough to cast Thunder II and then Fire III to go back into Astral Fire III. If you used Transpose, the initial Mana regain wouldn't be nearly as fast, and you'd have to wait out the full cast time of Blizzard III to get back up to three stacks of Umbral Ice.

Trust me, going from Astral Fire III directly to Umbral Ice III [via Blizzard III] is the far better option. The same goes with Umbral Ice III to Astral Fire III [via Fire III].

jiggle

Cuz you will be at full mp, with or without transposing, by the time your recast of fireiii completes*

Frumix

Suffering From Success
That's cool. Run it wth me (Tomo Takino) tonight for weapons. I'm having trouble finding people who want to run it any more. Even though I beat it I still could also use more practice. I love how on Levi ex you get a stack to show off just who's getting hit by dives. Mark of shame.

I don't mind, but healers job on that fight isn't that hard, if dps don't know what's up the raid's a bust.
For me the hard part wasn't executing my stuff but rather finding a good party.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Quelling strikes moved to level 50 Bard ability.
I would take that trade if it meant moving Blunt to lower levels because there are some fights in earlier dungeons where I wish I could use it such as the Chimera of Cutter's Cry

Tex117

Banned
Because being in Umbral Ice III will literally refill your mana in a matter of seconds, long enough to cast Thunder II and then Fire III to go back into Astral Fire III. If you used Transpose, the initial Mana regain wouldn't be nearly as fast, and you'd have to wait out the full cast time of Blizzard III to get back up to three stacks of Umbral Ice.

Trust me, going from Astral Fire III directly to Umbral Ice III [via Blizzard III] is the far better option. The same goes with Umbral Ice III to Astral Fire III [via Fire III].

Listen to him.

I'm currently trying to get the FF1 warrior of light tank armor from crystal tower before 2.3 drops cause i think the 2.1 ct population will be dead, anyways i've seen people with a helmet that looks like this

FFXIV_Barding_of_Light.png

is the helmet a subscription award or something? cause im pretty sure i've a lot of those during the first few days of the game

Dunan

If all of my CD's are up, my rotation is:

Thunder II --> Fire III --> Raging Strikes --> Fire I [until around 400 Mana] --> Swiftcast --> Flare --> Convert --> Fire I --> Blizzard III --> Thunder II --> Fire III [when at full Mana] ---> Fire I [Repeat]

I don't have Raging Strikes, but I'm going to try a rotation like this tomorrow rather than the simpler one that I and a few others here are using. I've had Flare ever since that quest in eastern Thanalan gives it to you and have never tried using it.

MogCakes

I'm having constant disconnects from my PS4. None of the other devices in the area are experiencing the same problem. Is it being throttled/blocked by my router or something?

Hasney

I'm having constant disconnects from my PS4. None of the other devices in the area are experiencing the same problem. Is it being throttled/blocked by my router or something?

Have you tried wired? The wireless chip is quite poor, although that usually manifests itself as slowness.

Allard

Seeing as the interview hasn't made its way into this thread yet, IGN had an interview with Yoshida not too long ago (like within this month) and he more or less blurted out new classes/jobs will be announced at E3 and seemed to hint they might even be something that comes before an expansion. He also said the expansion will be announced sometime this year but wouldn't say exactly when. (My hunch if its not E3, its going to be Gamescon in August, they seem to treat that conference as big as E3, TGS these days, at least for FFXIV)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/22/your-final-fantasy-14-questions-answered

chrono01

I don't have Raging Strikes, but I'm going to try a rotation like this tomorrow rather than the simpler one that I and a few others here are using. I've had Flare ever since that quest in eastern Thanalan gives it to you and have never tried using it.
Yeah, Flare is great and, when combined with Swiftcast and Convert, doesn't mess up your rotation at all. It's even more effective if you can time it when multiple enemies are stacking, such as when a bulb spawns under Rafflesia in Turn 6, or Dreadnaught/The Avatar in Turn 8.

Sorian

Banned

I'd like to know how you could possibly be a BLM without raging strikes
since that is impossible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom