• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IvorB

Um I've been thinking about this awhile now, but would people be interested if GAF had PvP nights?

The idea is that right now PvP has long queues, most likely than not if you're new you'll queue in and people with gear will faceroll you instantly unless you're willing to bust yourself down to being level 30 again, and generally if you're not crazy hardcore about the grind where it takes about 3,700 WINS to reach Rank 40 it's a waste of time.

The goal then is to make PvP queues instant, remove the gear-based facerolls new PvPers face, and also make it fun to beat each other up. We're a huge FC at the member cap and I'm willing to bet I'm not the only person who would be interested in PvP if it were actually for fun and you could get in there to kill and be killed and talk some trash and have a good time with friends.

So what if a bunch of GAF gathered together, separated into teams of 4, purposely put on only PvE gear, and queued together to beat the shit out of each other for fun? You could actually learn how to PvP in an environment where everyone else is learning too and doing it for the enjoyment. Assuming that people like Mupod, Pel, Felix, and Rai actually turned up for this sort of thing because it sure beats waiting 30+ minutes in PvP queues solo, they would be dispersed among the various teams to keep fights balanced.

And yeah, Frontlines is coming people, and I know nobody wants to start at Rank 1 when Frontlines drops and the R40s all go in there and get all Dynasty Warriors on the whole other team with their i100 gear. This would serve to help gear up everybody with some kind of baseline gear for PvP so that won't happen in a month or so when 2.3 drops.

I got this idea from this guy's really long thread about "Friendlies" here:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/165106-Friendlies

Yeah sure. Why not?

Just did Stone Vigil. I took a beating. Considering it's supposed to be a dragon dungeon I would have it no other way. I died to the first two bosses. The last boss I managed to maintain but he scared the sh*t out of me.

Just bought the game and every time I login it starts to download / patch up and I get an error every minute or so. Are there any places I can manually download the patches because I've been trying on and off throughout the day.

Teknoman

Um I've been thinking about this awhile now, but would people be interested if GAF had PvP nights?

The idea is that right now PvP has long queues, most likely than not if you're new you'll queue in and people with gear will faceroll you instantly unless you're willing to bust yourself down to being level 30 again, and generally if you're not crazy hardcore about the grind where it takes about 3,700 WINS to reach Rank 40 it's a waste of time.

The goal then is to make PvP queues instant, remove the gear-based facerolls new PvPers face, and also make it fun to beat each other up. We're a huge FC at the member cap and I'm willing to bet I'm not the only person who would be interested in PvP if it were actually for fun and you could get in there to kill and be killed and talk some trash and have a good time with friends.

So what if a bunch of GAF gathered together, separated into teams of 4, purposely put on only PvE gear, and queued together to beat the shit out of each other for fun? You could actually learn how to PvP in an environment where everyone else is learning too and doing it for the enjoyment. Assuming that people like Mupod, Pel, Felix, and Rai actually turned up for this sort of thing because it sure beats waiting 30+ minutes in PvP queues solo, they would be dispersed among the various teams to keep fights balanced.

And yeah, Frontlines is coming people, and I know nobody wants to start at Rank 1 when Frontlines drops and the R40s all go in there and get all Dynasty Warriors on the whole other team with their i100 gear. This would serve to help gear up everybody with some kind of baseline gear for PvP so that won't happen in a month or so when 2.3 drops.

I'm very much up for this.

I'm in for PVP.

Sounds fun, count me in.

Yes please. More GAF events the better.

Yeah sure. Why not?

Just did Stone Vigil. I took a beating. Considering it's supposed to be a dragon dungeon I would have it no other way. I died to the first two bosses. The last boss I managed to maintain but he scared the sh*t out of me.

Heh the dragon dungeons do seem to be the ones where you have to step your game up so to speak.

If the boss of Hullbreaker is Ultros, he needs to have the FF2 remix comedy battle theme.

Aeana

I finally sat down to tackle my inventory problem. I had both retainers full, 5 spots in my inventory, and zero spots in my armory chest. It's a problem I've been ignoring for months. Finally took care of it and cut everything down by at least 50%. Feels amazing, and I didn't need to be featured on Hoarders to get it done.

Baleoce

I hope frontlines pvp is good. pvp is so underwhelming in this game as it currently is. It's something I'd like to focus on if possible, the glamours are real nice too, especially that pld armour.

Baleoce

I finally sat down to tackle my inventory problem. I had both retainers full, 5 spots in my inventory, and zero spots in my armory chest. It's a problem I've been ignoring for months. Finally took care of it and cut everything down by at least 50%. Feels amazing, and I didn't need to be featured on Hoarders to get it done.

I made it a lot easier on myself when I decided to just keep HQ mats on retainers, and put the NQ mats in a communal company chest / sell them / synth them. I really wish the armoire could hold more types of gearsets though.

So lucky, I got rid of a bunch of stuff and I still struggle for space...this is what happens when you try to level every craft.

WolvenOne

No words on myth increase?

Been wondering about this myself. I'm assuming that's a 2.3 thing, but I guess I shouldn't rule out 2.28.

Increasing the drop rate would really help with thier Animus, which they're really going to have to do at some point, if they want people to continue doing Zodiac chain stuff.

WolvenOne

Also.

Probably going to finish the Bear mount Grind tonight or tomorrow.

Any idea what else I should do to pass the time till I can start work on the Novus chain?

I'm see sawing back and forth between farming Primals for ponies, or leveling another class, probably BLM.

I'm sure I'd have fun either way, but since Tanking is kinda all consuming, I'm not sure I'd really use BLM much once leveled.

I mean, I haven't exactly had a lot of opportunities to use my DRG.

Sorian

Banned

You're a better person than me. My retainers are both full on junk and at this point I'm deeming it a lost cause. At least I keep my own inventory and armory chest clean.

I also cleared my inventory and retainers the other day. My second retainer is now basically empty and my first one still has like 80 slots. Even made a few bucks off it in the process.

I'm new to these terms. What do you mean by "routinely stun"?

Built into whatever routine they have.

They may use a certain combination of attacks or always follow a certain pattern.

So these folk are stunning Ifrit HM at random points when there is a dedicated stunner for one attack, and because they stun so much, by the time his attack 'Eruption' actually becomes dangerous, it can't be stunned until he loses some resistance, potentially causing a wipe.

Cmagus

Can't wait for the monster hunts. Probably one of my favorite things from FFXII and favorite side quest from any Final Fantasy. I really hope it's very in depth later on like objectives that need to be complete before the NM shows or variations like weather.

Patch looks good and Ramuh should be interesting. Also the concept art for CT2 are looking amazing can't wait to see that.

Considering they will be doing a live letter at E3 we should be getting a new trailer. Would be awesome if we got a glimpse at some new classes.

This Gift of Eternity quest en route to unlocking the Leviathan trial....fuck that pos. Either my item level needs to be much higher or they are straight up trolling me

Teknoman

Can't wait for the monster hunts. Probably one of my favorite things from FFXII and favorite side quest from any Final Fantasy. I really hope it's very in depth later on like objectives that need to be complete before the NM shows or variations like weather.

Patch looks good and Ramuh should be interesting. Also the concept art for CT2 are looking amazing can't wait to see that.

Considering they will be doing a live letter at E3 we should be getting a new trailer. Would be awesome if we got a glimpse at some new classes.

Yeah I wanted clan marks since...well since the first time I heard FFXII staff would be involved (along with Akihiko Yoshida art). As long as they are well thought out, and provide unique fights. More exploration of areas is always good too.

Wow, I got interest. I guess I'll go ahead with my plans for GAF PvP then, this should be fun!

I'm sure everyone has a bit of hunger to do FC community stuff :)

so in my last 2 high level roulettes i got pharos. why do people still bail here? one of them even was dps. goddamn. the queue is only 2 seconds for me, so i can't get mad at that. but why are people afraid?

and that's all? they rather wait in queue forever over this? i can't believe this. maybe it takes 5+ minutes longer. at least you're not running the same shit over and over.

All people want to do is speed run Bray for soldiery and myth. Anything else takes too long and is a bother. And if it's high level, all they want to do is HM Haukke

IvorB

So I just pick the LB icon from the Hotbar and press X and the range circle appears ?!

No. Select Limit break and the circle will appear automatically. Maybe sometimes you don't notice it. It will say "ground targeting something something". Target it and then press "X". It's pretty sh*t to be honest and not worth the bother.

So I just pick the LB icon from the Hotbar and press X and the range circle appears ?!

No, you use the lb just like any other spell, like fire 1.

But when you use it as a blm or arcanist, it spawns an aoe circle. That's when you press x

No. Select Limit break and the circle will appear automatically. Maybe sometimes you don't notice it. It will say "ground targeting something something". Target it and then press "X". It's pretty sh*t to be honest and not worth the bother.

You say that, but it's great during bosses when you could get overrun by adds, or for taking out the nails during ifrit hard mode

Teknoman

so in my last 2 high level roulettes i got pharos. why do people still bail here? one of them even was dps. goddamn. the queue is only 2 seconds for me, so i can't get mad at that. but why are people afraid?

Once we're able to do roulette as a party, it'll just be a memory.

At any rate, it seems more like new crowd MMO people...they just wanna go go go easy whenever they can help it.

lol kinda makes me sound like an old "back in my day" guy, but damn. Content is meant to be played, and everything helps you get better.

Except Sastasha and Totorak. Those need to be bulldozed.

All people want to do is speed run Bray for soldiery and myth. Anything else takes too long and is a bother. And if it's high level, all they want to do is HM Haukke

but they have to take a penalty while leaving. i could finish more than one dungeon in the same time it takes them to get going.

Once we're able to do roulette as a party, it'll just be a memory.

At any rate, it seems more like new crowd MMO people...they just wanna go go go easy whenever they can help it.

lol kinda makes me sound like an old "back in my day" guy, but damn. Content is meant to be played, and everything helps you get better.

Except Sastasha and Totorak. Those need to be bulldozed.

i don't know why those people have such a hard time enjoying a dungeon.i think if you keep avoiding playing the game constantly, you probably don't enjoy it.

I believe one presses "X".

Speaking of limit break, what the hell good is it? It does, like, zero damage. Am I doing it wrong?

I remember I tried my THM's limit break on one of the small giants in the Copperbell Mines. It didn't seem to have done much damage(looked like meteor).

No, you use the lb just like any other spell, like fire 1.

But when you use it as a blm or arcanist, it spawns an aoe circle. That's when you press x

Oh I see.. Thanks a lot guys :)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

I'll heal for you @ Stone Vigil tonight if you're around.

IvorB

You say that, but it's great during bosses when you could get overrun by adds, or for taking out the nails during ifrit hard mode

I remember I tried my THM's limit break on one of the small giants in the Copperbell Mines. It didn't seem to have done much damage(looked like meteor).

It doesn't seem to do much more that just a regular Fire III would do unless I don't know how to use it.

Oh I see.. Thanks a lot guys :)

No worries.

I'll heal for you @ Stone Vigil tonight if you're around.

I'm online now if you want to run some dungeons just let me know.

suzu

The limit break for ranged magic dps is better on more than one enemy. It is useful on some boss fights.

It's usually preferable if the melee dps uses theirs on a boss (since it does more damage on a single target), but if there isn't any in your group (or the melee is ignoring it for whatever reason or it's a archer/bard) then you should use it.

Teknoman

but they have to take a penalty while leaving. i could finish more than one dungeon in the same time it takes them to get going.

i don't know why those people have such a hard time enjoying a dungeon.i think if you keep avoiding playing the game constantly, you probably don't enjoy it.

Yup, you keep running the same dungeon over and over, speed runs at that, you'll get burnt out...and by proxy, feel burnt out with the game itself.

bunbun777

Currently have all my crafting classes between 30-35 and use 1 of my retainers for just hoarding weapons and armor. It really is a balancing act keeping all the essential items but my item retainer currently has 30 spots open and I am only holding on to about 55 items, 5 of which are fishing related. Keeping up on what items are needed and which ones I have to go farm for or sometimes just buy on the cheap is really fun for me. Crafting definitely feels like a guilty pleasure I don't even know why. And I have made about 2 million gil doing it so far, the economy on Ultros seems pretty healthy so far. Love making the items needed for crafting and gathering myself and getting them ready for future use.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hit 50 last night for the first time. Got my dragoon gear, and now I'm ready to do more story missions. I'm actually really really enjoying the story. ARR's story actually reminds me of a mix of FF6 (with magitek and evil empires) and FFT (with political intrigue).

Eorzea might be my favorite FF world at this point.

kiryogi

Banned

Good luck with that. You're still looking at least over a months worth of work. It took me 2 weeks to get to 1 or 18 solo queuing. The quickest way out there if your morale conscience could care less are win trades and even then that's around 1100 xp an hour. And an example of the current grind that's 5700 to get from 32 to 33. You have to be a very good dedicated indivual to make any good progress in the current pvp.

Giggzy

So how good is the PS4 controller layout for this game?

I played it on PC for a bit, but I'm interested in getting it for the PS4. Easy to play with the controller or is it a headache?

Ugh, I made some really silly mistakes in Turn 7 but it felt really good to beat it for the first time...

Thanks to Xarielle and friends for letting me tag along.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
So how good is the PS4 controller layout for this game?

I played it on PC for a bit, but I'm interested in getting it for the PS4. Easy to play with the controller or is it a headache?
Takes a long time to figure out the quirks and you'll need to do some tweaking to get it right but it's very well done. Basically, d-pad for targeting, shoulder+buttons for skills.

I actually prefer to kb+m because I've never been able to reach all the number keys reliably on keyboard. Everything being just a button press away makes this the most useable MMO for me, plus there's the comfort bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom