• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

what's a rainbow and why wouldn't he want to be recognized?
In PvP vanity gear doesn't work; there's not much hiding who you are. Original Mu Pod queued as a full yellow tank, but the PvP group on the whole data center is actually quite small, so the people who queue consistently began to recognize him by his color. When you're recognizable in PvP, the other team can plan accordingly to eat you quickly. Obviously to counter the recognition, you change the color of your pvp suit.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
In PvP vanity gear doesn't work; there's not much hiding who you are. Original Mu Pod queued as a full yellow tank, but the PvP group on the whole data center is actually quite small, so the people who queue consistently began to recognize him by his color. When you're recognizable in PvP, the other team can plan accordingly to eat you quickly. Obviously to counter the recognition, you change the color of your pvp suit.

ah, thanks for the clarification. can't wait to dig into pvp w/ gaf once frontlines are out.

Alucrid

Banned
everyone's vanity is terrible compared to mine

541740BF98CD2DF49DF166A08F74A8FDB9D2AA0A

so stop arguing because you'll never win

system11

They really need to fix how the client version checking is handled on PS4.

Currently the PSN store is broken, which shouldn't matter but the client checks it as soon as you start to see if a new patch is available. If it can't it just bombs you out. I think I'll just start leaving my PS4 on 24/7 when I plan to play the next day if big releases are coming out, presumably this is related to Watchdogs.

They really need to fix how the client version checking is handled on PS4.

Currently the PSN store is broken, which shouldn't matter but the client checks it as soon as you start to see if a new patch is available. If it can't it just bombs you out. I think I'll just start leaving my PS4 on 24/7 when I plan to play the next day if big releases are coming out, presumably this is related to Watchdogs.

if you keep closing and reopening it'll eventually let you in

Dunan

Is there any mod for this game that shows enemy health in numbers/percentages? I googled it but can only find stuff from last September which I wasn't sure would be up to date.

I would love for this to be standard. Health bars are fine, but with bosses you're typiclaly taking so little health off with each attack that you just see a thin white line flash at the rightmost edge of the HP bar.

The least they could do would be to put some small thermometer-like markings every five or ten percent as a guideline. But really I'd vastly prefer "HP 123456/200000" like in other games. I have an easier time mentally calculating that than I do estimating what percentage remains from a partially-depleted health bar.

aceface

My situation....

Quest: A relic reborn
Gil : 14,000
Level: 50 white mage

Needs: 2 grade lll materia
Cost: 66,000 each

Fuck my life and this game.

Spiritbond and convert lv 49~ accessories and either get the materia you need or sell the ones you don't need. Even with 14,000 gil you should be able to buy 2 or 3 accessories at that level.

T.O.P

Banned
My situation....

Quest: A relic reborn
Gil : 14,000
Level: 50 white mage

Needs: 2 grade lll materia
Cost: 66,000 each

Fuck my life and this game.

Come back to me when the materia you need costs 250k lol

Anyway as said above, convert as much lvl 45+ stuff you can, you can get lucky or sell what you get anyway for easy gil

Jayhawk

Because she's the hero Eorzea deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt her. Because she can take it. Because she's not our hero. She's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Knight.

Ran Ifrit HM a fair few times last night hoping for the axe to drop (so many bows!). When it did, fortunately the other warrior didn't need it (he had so much HP! :eek:):

... then I went straight into Titan HM...

^_^

I'm not sure I'll ever equip that Bravura. <3

I really like the look of the Ifrit axe and the way it ignites after you unsheathe.

I got the Garuda Axe on my first and only try of Garuda HM. It's weaker than Bravura though, so Ifrit should be weaker also. Titan is probably the same.

dramatis

I would love for this to be standard. Health bars are fine, but with bosses you're typiclaly taking so little health off with each attack that you just see a thin white line flash at the rightmost edge of the HP bar.

The least they could do would be to put some small thermometer-like markings every five or ten percent as a guideline. But really I'd vastly prefer "HP 123456/200000" like in other games. I have an easier time mentally calculating that than I do estimating what percentage remains from a partially-depleted health bar.
"I'll switch to attacking the second snake when this one's health bar reaches the d [in the Caduceus name above the health bar]." - thing I actually said while doing Turn 1

The dev team said they're working on add-ons, but of course we don't know when it's coming.

I'm kind of fine with the health bars right now though, but that's mostly because I'm on ps3 and I can't run something to check the data anyway.

Come back to me when the materia you need costs 250k lol

Anyway as said above, convert as much lvl 45+ stuff you can, you can get lucky or sell what you get anyway for easy gil

It's only a small violin story once you start melding those 100k+ tier IVs with 24% success chance or less.

creid

Man, Levi Ex is difficult as heck. I'm able to dodge all the dives now with the exception of ones that come from the side. Those still hit me from time to time.
I was running this fight with Red Dot last night, and I screwed up spout-spotting a lot. As a result I've learned a lot, and I've got some tips that aren't in the videos I've seen. If you've run through the fight a few times, this picture might help. It's complicated, but it shows that for every charge, there are only 4 spots where the spouts may appear, based on where his head and tail were previously. Put more simply:
If head is NW and tail is NE, dives will come from any of...
West column (N)
East Column (N)
North Row (E)
Middle Row (E)

So you angle your camera to NE corner to see all possibles. Then the available positions swap to...
West column (S)
East Column (S)
Middle Row (W)
South Row (W)

and focus camera SW.

Then since head was on NW, it has to swap to east side so the Body Slam position can only be NE or SE. So angle camera east.
from BG

I unfortunately was not angling my camera properly to see the middle row spout when I was running it with the FC last night, and caused quite a few wipes :( What I've picked up from the above: if the head and tail were (for example) on the north side during the previous DPS phase, run to the south end and you'll have a 50% chance of not having to move at all for the first charge. If you do have to move you should be able to see the spouts by looking straight north, instead of having to angle the camera. Then after the first charge, run back to the north 1/3 of the field and repeat by facing straight south. If you can make it there in time, I don't think you'll ever have to dodge a dive from the side. Hoping I can get a good Levi EX party now that I know this stuff.

iammeiam

I think Titan EX has defeated me. I can't tell if it's really inconsistent lag, or if I just periodically fail dodging (I think it's lag, but with a PS4 can't prove it so it might just be me), but I'll end up in a good group via DF and fluctuate between dodging everything through adds phase and eating weights and a Landslide in phase 2 (seriously, who gets Landslided anymore? The shame!). Since good groups are rare, I end up feeling guilty about dragging everyone down with my totally avoidable damage.

Is anything other than Ifrit EX locked behind Titan right now? Trying to figure out how much content I miss out on by just giving up vs saving up gill, swallowing my pride, and going for a carry. My impression is that Titan's lag-sensitivity is pretty unique in the game.

ugh, doing coil 4+ with pug's is horrible, must have been in 8 different teams last night that would just disband after the first wipe

is there any way to organize a decent team aside from just announcing in the free company chat?

Welp, I'm now on my WHM relic quest line. I'm up to the part where I have to kill bosses. I hope this doesn't take me forever.

Also, finishing up the main scenario with the Madman Whispering Rod was hilariously stupid. Every cut scene looked like my weapon was the character in the story instead of my character.

d31d2b476946e9d1055081ceaf4a19438680ea42.jpg

(Not my image but close enough)

creid

Is anything other than Ifrit EX locked behind Titan right now? Trying to figure out how much content I miss out on by just giving up vs saving up gill, swallowing my pride, and going for a carry. My impression is that Titan's lag-sensitivity is pretty unique in the game.
Beating Ifrit EX lets you unlock Leviathan and King Mog EX.

I think Titan EX has defeated me. I can't tell if it's really inconsistent lag, or if I just periodically fail dodging (I think it's lag, but with a PS4 can't prove it so it might just be me), but I'll end up in a good group via DF and fluctuate between dodging everything through adds phase and eating weights and a Landslide in phase 2 (seriously, who gets Landslided anymore? The shame!). Since good groups are rare, I end up feeling guilty about dragging everyone down with my totally avoidable damage.

You'll be missing out on Thornmarch and Whorleater EX to

aceface

I'm on the slowest laggiest laptop and I did Titan ex (seriously it's a year and a half old MacBook running windows on boot camp)...not saying I'm an awesome player but it's always a set pattern...once you do it enough you should know what's coming next to dodge. Also always pop a sprint on WotL (the puddles), if you know they are coming and you have sprint on it's very easy to avoid them. A good general rule of thumb is that WotL (almost) always come after stomps.

Oh another thing, if you are ranged dps and healer you don't absolutely have to stack for WotL's, I would stand behind everyone else south of Titan and then run south to avoid WotL's..I didn't trust my lag so if I did get hit with a WotL it would only be one that I could heal through, not 5 that would kill me instantly.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Welp, I'm now on my WHM relic quest line. I'm up to the part where I have to kill bosses. I hope this doesn't take me forever.

Also, finishing up the quest line with the Madman Whispering Rod was hilariously stupid. Every cut scene looked like my weapon was the character in the story instead of my character.

d31d2b476946e9d1055081ceaf4a19438680ea42.jpg

I love that weapon. I may almost choose to glamour it sometime in the future.

Capeo

Banned
ugh, doing coil 4+ with pug's is horrible, must have been in 8 different teams last night that would just disband after the first wipe

is there any way to organize a decent team aside from just announcing in the free company chat?
Are you using the PF? My FC had good luck this weekend filling out a couple parties for coil using the PF because a couple of our regulars were busy. Granted we were only pugging one or two people and we were just farming 1 and 2 but you can state your expectations explicitly in the comment.

The bigger problem for Mupod is that he's a female Roegadyn and that race is so rare that it's easy to tell who the giant fem-Roe is if there is literally only one that PvPs.

It's a shame about Moogle EX, not a terrible fight but I do agree it can be a tad tedious. I should try to do it again since I need nearly every type of ribbon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom