• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So just because top players (a small percent of the overall players) fly through newest
content devs aren‘t doing enough? Please, that doesn‘t make any sense.

They could certainly do a little more. Would rather not see another repeat of 2.1 where after a little while, the servers seemed rather dead.

Maybe I doth protest too much!

IvorB

So I got to level 50 over the long weekend. I was kind of hoping that something would happen but it didn't. So I guess I still need to carry on slogging through the main story to unlock all this so-called endgame stuff.

Duty Roulette chucked me into Aurum Vale yesterday which was interesting as I had never done it before and I was really hung over. I didn't think DR would put you in a dungeon you hadn't done already. It was less scary than I thought but the party fell apart at the last boss due to drama. MMO drama really cracks me up. Aurum Vale is next on my rinse list since I think I have had all the mileage I can out of Darkhold.

IMBored

I wish the security app and libra eorzea where available for the vita. Having to bring my token to work is bad.

So I got to level 50 over the long weekend. I was kind of hoping that something would happen but it didn't. So I guess I still need to carry on slogging through the main story to unlock all this so-called endgame stuff.

Duty Roulette chucked me into Aurum Vale yesterday which was interesting as I had never done it before and I was really hung over. I didnt' think DR would put you in a dungeon you hadn't done already. It was less scary than I thought but the party fell apart at the last boss due to drama. MMO drama really cracks me up. Aurum Vale is next on my rinse list since I think I have had all the mileage I can out of Darkhold.

My tip for AV. Do it once and never again. It's not bad with a good party, but it can be awful with pugs. And, at lv 50 there are better places to be, like wanderer's palace.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
the servers are already emptying. we're halfway into the -log in for coil- phase.

Most people I know that are doing end game are super pissed that 2.3 will bring Sands and Oils into the CT mix
A lot of Coil groups are finishing up their UAT rotation from T7, within a few weeks Alt jobs will be getting them or are just gonna waste away on someones retainer, I wouldn't be surprised if it just goes to the void in a month+

More and more HC players are leveling alts to do double progression to keep themselves busy
Most T9 clear groups finish Coil on Tuesday night within 1.5 hour from starting, then have to wait the whole week
Now they are min/maxing gear/item drops by splitting the group into 2 and working that way

As crazy as that sounds, people rather participate in the same content twice, cause end game wise there so little due to lockout

One thing they could do is just like they do with content is to make an extreme version of coil, go back buff up the bosses from Coil 1, also add weird restrictions or some hilarious mechanic, that teams would try to get the win
Add something enticing to the player base to chase after
Fuck beat Twin Extreme with all jobs, get a Dragon mount

BadRNG

Second half though, well requiring a smidge more gearing for the second half wouldn't have been a bad thing.
Didn't it though? I mean how what groups were beating T8 without pentamelded crafted stuff? Remember pentamelded gear is often on the same level or even better than i100, so the top clear groups were often a much higher effective ilevel than the one that shows on their character sheet.

Not having to level to 50 or regear up to even get started definitely did help speed things along, but I fail to see why this is a bad thing, or how BG clearing it a couple weeks ahead of the imaginary date in your head is some sort of failure/miscalculation on the developers part.

You are talking like this is a problem that should be addressed next time, and god I hope no developer thinks the same way you do. Adding arbitrary time stalls is bad. And to be frank, even if every member of the top 1% did quit until next coil(never going to happen), why do you care. It would barely be noticeable in player numbers, and endgame is always cleared way before the next set arrives in every MMO, these people are used to this.

If you want to argue that angle then make it about the crappy release roadmap SE has, don't advocate pointless gear checks and stalls for progression just for the sake of things taking more time.

I'm not sure why you guys care so much about the speed that Coil 2 was cleared by probably less than 10% of the population or something (I pulled this number out of my butt).

One of the neat little things that was added by Sony to the PS4 is the list of Trophies now shows the percentage of players of any particular game who have gotten that trophy.

So I booted up my PS4 and took this screenshot a few minutes ago.

20140528061652.jpg

This trophy is awarded for clearing The Binding Coil of Bahamut, better known now as Coil 1.

Yes, this is Coil 1. I'm going to assume for a moment that the PlayStation players and the PC players do not have dissimilar levels of progression and say that this is representative of the total population of players in the game. So that means about 4.3% of the player population of this game have cleared Coil 1. How many of these people are actually active right now is of course unknown, but without any way to know that we'll just go with the numbers we have.

Now you can do whatever math you want to estimate how many players have cleared The Second Coil of Bahamut. I'm willing to bet it's not a large number. It's certainly a lot less than 4.3%. Is it even 1% at this point? Who knows.

The current rate of progression of the community is going along just fine. Anyone who claims otherwise literally does not know what they are talking about. There are some hardcore players who farm Coil 2 and are bored the rest of the week. We now know they represent a miniscule percentage of the player population. Yoshi and his team aren't stupid, they are monitoring the rate at which players are progressing through Coil 2 and based on their data they have elected to add Oil of Time and Sands of Time to CT2. I'm willing to bet that Yoshi knows better than any of us the exact rate of progression of the community and that he is making adjustments to ensure they are progressing at the rate that he desires.

So in other words, deal with it. I'm looking forward to Oil and Sands in CT2, it would give me a reason to run the damn thing every week.

Alucrid

Banned
One of the neat little things that was added by Sony to the PS4 is the list of Trophies now shows the percentage of players of any particular game who have gotten that trophy.

So I booted up my PS4 and took this screenshot a few minutes ago.

This trophy is awarded for clearing The Binding Coil of Bahamut, better known now as Coil 1.

Yes, this is Coil 1. I'm going to assume for a moment that the PlayStation players and the PC players do not have dissimilar levels of progression and say that this is representative of the total population of players in the game. So that means about 4.3% of the player population of this game have cleared Coil 1. How many of these people are actually active right now is of course unknown, but without any way to know that we'll just go with the numbers we have.

Now you can do whatever math you want to estimate how many players have cleared The Second Coil of Bahamut. I'm willing to bet it's not a large number. It's certainly a lot less than 4.3%. Is it even 1% at this point? Who knows.

The current rate of progression of the community is going along just fine. Anyone who claims otherwise literally does not know what they are talking about. There are some hardcore players who farm Coil 2 and are bored the rest of the week. We now know they represent a miniscule percentage of the player population. Yoshi and his team aren't stupid, they are monitoring the rate at which players are progressing through Coil 2 and based on their data they have elected to add Oil of Time and Sands of Time to CT2. I'm willing to bet that Yoshi knows better than any of us the exact rate of progression of the community and that he is making adjustments to ensure they are progressing at the rate that he desires.

So in other words, deal with it. I'm looking forward to Oil and Sands in CT2, it would give me a reason to run the damn thing every week.
Only 4.3 percent of ps3 and ps4 users have and I'd argue that pc players are more hard-core than ps3 or 4 players

Only 4.3 percent of ps3 and ps4 users have and I'd argue that pc players are more hard-core than ps3 or 4 players

I made no attempt to argue for or against that theory because it can't be proven or disproven. However there are a decent number of people in our FC who are PS3/PS4 players who are pretty far along into Coil 2 right alongside their PC friends.

Been playing this on PS4, and loving it as my first MMO. Hit level 45 with my SMN over the weekend. I love how the game keeps opening up new things for me to do, even though I've already done so much.

iquTJYsQAimXo.jpg

Alucrid

Banned
Whoa...You don't think we're core, bro?

speaking in generalities yes. and what really matters is the percentage of active players who have cleared "x" content.

by that logic ct should have been dropping myth gear because how many people were actually clearing twin when ct came out

Kyolux

Spent my whole evening last night doing FATEs in hope of getting a second atma drop...

Nope, still 1/12 90-100 fates later.. Am I doing something wrong? Or am I just part of the unlucky group?

IvorB

My tip for AV. Do it once and never again. It's not bad with a good party, but it can be awful with pugs. And, at lv 50 there are better places to be, like wanderer's palace.

Oooo good shout, mate. These outside-story dungeons have been my bread-and-butter in this game. They save me from Fetch Quest Hell. I forgot about that one actually. Just round the corner from Walking Sands entrance isn't it? I shall do them both. There's good loot to be had at Aurum I reckon.

iammeiam

I thought I'd do AV only once and never again, but now my GC won't promote me until I go back.

Spent my whole evening last night doing FATEs in hope of getting a second atma drop...

Nope, still 1/12 90-100 fates later.. Am I doing something wrong? Or am I just part of the unlucky group?

RNGesus is a capricious deity. I spent longer on the stupid Atma of the Goat than all 11 others combined (It took me from Tuesday Night to Friday afternoon last week to get my atmas; started Goat late Tuesday and didn't get it until Thursday evening.) you're not extra unlucky, it's just how it goes; it's just a bunch of successive lotteries where the grand prize is that your weapon stops glowing. I found constantly queuing for stuff helped break up the tedium by making atma grinding a way to kill time between queue pops as opposed to the main focus of my playtime.

Zomba13

So, I reactivated my account, found out I won this.

Yay?

I got one of them from the Little Lady Day contest thing. I was going to enter the easter one but the prize was the same. Will wait for them to go back to the Ahriman choaker or something before entering another.

Kyolux

I thought I'd do AV only once and never again, but now my GC won't promote me until I go back.

RNGesus is a capricious deity. I spent longer on the stupid Atma of the Goat than all 11 others combined (It took me from Tuesday Night to Friday afternoon last week to get my atmas; started Goat late Tuesday and didn't get it until Thursday evening.) you're not extra unlucky, it's just how it goes; it's just a bunch of successive lotteries where the grand prize is that your weapon stops glowing. I found constantly queuing for stuff helped break up the tedium by making atma grinding a way to kill time between queue pops as opposed to the main focus of my playtime.

That's what I was doing Monday evening, but last night I thought I'd at least wait until one drops before queuing as Monday I kept having to start my duties while I was doing a fate.

It's just frustrating when you have friends that never had to do more than 5-6 fates for each of their atma..

Been playing this on PS4, and loving it as my first MMO. Hit level 45 with my SMN over the weekend. I love how the game keeps opening up new things for me to do, even though I've already done so much.

iquTJYsQAimXo.jpg

Congrats :)

SMN is awesome isn't it?? It's my first proper go at a MMO as well (dabbled in GW2 a bit but lost interest...)

WolvenOne

Couple things.

First.

5% seems a little low, are we certain that isn't "only," among PS4 users?

Second.

One of the stated goals for Coil 2, was to recreate the sense that this was, "Super hard, near impossible to clear content," like Coil 1 was, before players geared up.

If this was indeed one of their goals, then, yeah, BG clearing it within a month was a slight miscalculation.

Not a huge miscalculation, I'm not actually raging or anything here. This won't affect most players at all, even psychologically. However, it does work against their stated goal, and probably slightly accelerated the rate at which some groups would've cleared it, by virtue of strats being published and all that.

Even then, not a huge deal. I don't want people to get the impression that I'm terribly upset with this, or anything like that, because I'm really not.

Congrats :)

SMN is awesome isn't it?? It's my first proper go at a MMO as well (dabbled in GW2 a bit but lost interest...)

Thanks. Yeah SMN is pretty awesome. I was going to be a BLM, but a few posters here on GAF convinced me to go SMN, and I'm glad I did.

It's pretty awesome having a summon and my choco in my party, and all three of us just wailing on an enemy....now if only I could do duty finder while having my choco in my party..

Tabris

That's among all PS3 and PS4 users -ever- (not just active). Essentially if you booted the game once online, you count towards those statistics.

The PS4 trophy interface can read from PS3 statistics as well, and that trophy is shared between PS3 and PS4.

EDIT - I personally think for any of us to say Second Coil is easy, you have to have beaten T9.

One of the stated goals for Coil 2, was to recreate the sense that this was, "Super hard, near impossible to clear content," like Coil 1 was, before players geared up.

I would say 2-3 static groups clearing this content per server is pretty close to super hard content. Do you really want content that people can't clear content at all until a couple patches down the line?

Can anyone explain to me how to log on to libra eorzea app on Android when the security token is on the same phone. I can't multi window the apps

Couple things.

First.

Second.

If this was indeed one of their goals, then, yeah, BG clearing it within a month was a slight miscalculation.

Not a huge miscalculation, I'm not actually raging or anything here. This won't affect most players at all, even psychologically. However, it does work against their stated goal, and probably slightly accelerated the rate at which some groups would've cleared it, by virtue of strats being published and all that.

Even then, not a huge deal. I don't want people to get the impression that I'm terribly upset with this, or anything like that, because I'm really not.

I don't agree with this at all. I don't see how one famous group clearing extremely difficult content makes it a miscalculation on the part of the developers - it seems like you're saying that it should be literally impossible, which seems pretty pointless to me (in other words, bad game design). And even if a group which is known for being ridiculously good clears the content and publishes strategies, that doesn't necessarily make it much easier for everyone else to pull off. It helps, but it doesn't mean that a group who's just got to turn 6 is going to breeze through Second Coil.

Surely having a situation where only a handful of groups are able to clear the content is consistent with their stated goal? That fits the description of "super hard, almost impossible" to me. I don't think the fact that other people have beat it changes that. I like having the challenge there and I like the two-track system they have now of introducing very hard content, then introducing easier content that makes the very hard content easier to get into. It seems fair.

Aeana

Somehow it always seems like the people who complain the most about content being too easy are people who have not even cleared it yet.

WolvenOne

On the whole, sands slash oils of time thing.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you are clearing turns 9, your party is only getting one of each, correct?

Well, the weapons alone will take up several weeks worth of drops, upto eight, to be precise. That is a hecka long time to gear up, so, no I don't really blame them for adding an additional drop location.

After all, as is, it'd take months for a party to fully upgrade thier main classes. Not to mention alts and such.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
What is the percentage of people who wear the Reindeer Costume and Thug Mask as town gear? That's the question that really needs to be asked.

I don't agree with this at all. I don't see how one famous group clearing extremely difficult content makes it a miscalculation on the part of the developers - it seems like you're saying that it should be literally impossible, which seems pretty pointless to me (in other words, bad game design). And even if a group which is known for being ridiculously good clears the content and publishes strategies, that doesn't necessarily make it much easier for everyone else to pull off. It helps, but it doesn't mean that a group who's just got to turn 6 is going to breeze through Second Coil.

Surely having a situation where only a handful of groups are able to clear the content is consistent with their stated goal? That fits the description of "super hard, almost impossible" to me. I don't think the fact that other people have beat it changes that. I like having the challenge there and I like the two-track system they have now of introducing very hard content, then introducing easier content that makes the very hard content easier to get into. It seems fair.

Aren't 6-9 as heavy on mechanics and coordination that 5 was? Most people I ask say it gets progressively moreso with each turn. My only familiarity with 2nd coil right now a little bit of 6. I don't remember anybody having real trouble with the first coil until 4 and that was only due to the gear available to most at the time. I remember them saying they intentionally didn't mean for 5 to get passed as much as it did back then and that was only because of how people played to PLD's relative OP strengths at the time.

creid

The PS4 trophy interface can read from PS3 statistics as well, and that trophy is shared between PS3 and PS4.
Is it really shared? I had heard that if you transferred to PS4, you'd basically start back with 0 trophies. I was intending on getting the platinum before transferring to PS4 for this reason, but maybe I don't have to?

T.O.P

Banned
I wonder if i could go for Weathered Yagrush instead of atma Thyrus (WHM)

There's no freakin way that i'm gonna do all that fate farming and i'm at 1000 soldiery more or less, just need to farm T2 for Unidentiefied Allagan Tomstone and i'm almost set

Any suggestion?

WolvenOne

*sigh*

Mechnically it's about where it should be I think. The only miscalcuation I can see, is that being able to pentameld crafted gear allowed some groups to get through the gearing phase a bit faster, that's all.

I still think they need to take another look at Crafting, materia, and so on and so forth.

Aren't 6-9 as heavy on mechanics and coordination that 5 was? Most people I ask say it gets progressively moreso with each turn. My only familiarity with 2nd coil right now a little bit of 6. I don't remember anybody having real trouble with the first coil until 4 and that was only due to the gear available to most at the time. I remember them saying they intentionally didn't mean for 5 to get passed as much as it did back then and that was only because of how people played to PLD's relative OP strengths at the time.

As I recall, the difficult points for First Coil were:
- passing rot in T2 (speed bump)
- getting coordination/kill order down for T4 (bottleneck)
- Twintania (brick wall)
- T3 (never did remember which way to go)
Edit: And if we're talking patch 2.0, gearing up was a real pain in the neck. Gear was definitely an issue then.

My experience with Second Coil so far is T6 and T7 - cleared the first a couple of times, working on the second now. So far, I'd agree with your assessment that they're very heavy on mechanics and coordination.

*sigh*

Mechnically it's about where it should be I think. The only miscalcuation I can see, is that being able to pentameld crafted gear allowed some groups to get through the gearing phase a bit faster, that's all.

I still think they need to take another look at Crafting, materia, and so on and so forth.

Are you saying that the pentamelded crafted gear is too accessible or that crafting is overpowered?

I found the secret to Bray speedruns
32px-Divine_Seal_Icon.png
32px-Regen_Icon.png
32px-Cleric_Stance_Icon.png
32px-Holy_Icon.png
32px-Holy_Icon.png
32px-Swiftcast_Icon.png
32px-Holy_Icon.png

0EMivZO.png
0EMivZO.png
0EMivZO.png

Sophia

Somehow it always seems like the people who complain the most about content being too easy are people who have not even cleared it yet.

Every MMO with linear progression ever, basically. Lots of groups still fail on Turn 5 as far as I can tell tho, so I can believe the number is pretty low.

I found the secret to Bray speedruns
32px-Divine_Seal_Icon.png
32px-Regen_Icon.png
32px-Cleric_Stance_Icon.png
32px-Holy_Icon.png
32px-Holy_Icon.png
32px-Swiftcast_Icon.png
32px-Holy_Icon.png

Maybe it's just me, but I don't feel like putting my party's fate in the hands of Holy and Regen is terribly reliable. >.<

Valonquar

T8 is a DPS check, and a welcome break as a main tank. I just stand then holding the boss, and occasionally a dreadnaught. Sometimes I might have to grab a landmine, but it's night & day easier than the stressful debuff nonsense in T7.

XenoRaven

What is the percentage of people who wear the Reindeer Costume and Thug Mask as town gear? That's the question that really needs to be asked.
I wear the thug mask and bikini whenever I level a new job because it's the only low level gear I have and I figure it's better than running around in my underwear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom