• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Item Box

should i bother to make one of my retainers a DoL class? or should i make them both DoW classes for that phat exploration loot

on the other hand, i'd rather not be the one doing the fishing

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
On the whole, sands slash oils of time thing.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you are clearing turns 9, your party is only getting one of each, correct?

Well, the weapons alone will take up several weeks worth of drops, upto eight, to be precise. That is a hecka long time to gear up, so, no I don't really blame them for adding an additional drop location.

After all, as is, it'd take months for a party to fully upgrade thier main classes. Not to mention alts and such.

It's SE's way of keeping player retention and if you're clearing coil 6-8 each week it honestly isn't that bad. With a T9 clear then groups are entitled to two oils and two sands a week. If you're not actively doing that content then I see no reason why people absolutely need those upgrade items given there is no other difficult content that requires high level gear right now.

Tabris

Is it really shared? I had heard that if you transferred to PS4, you'd basically start back with 0 trophies. I was intending on getting the platinum before transferring to PS4 for this reason, but maybe I don't have to?

Yep, shared, I went from PS3 to PS4 and my trophies carry. The trophies show PS3 and PS4 icons below them.

WolvenOne

It's SE's way of keeping player retention and if you're clearing coil 6-8 each week it honestly isn't that bad. With a T9 clear then groups are entitled to two oils and two sands a week. If you're not actively doing that content then I see no reason why people absolutely need those upgrade items given there is no other difficult content that requires high level gear right now.

This is more aimed at the people who, haven't, cleared T9 yet, methinks. It gives high level Coil players some incentive to do CT2 more than once or twice. The lack of good players was the main thing wrong with CT1. Also, lets be honest here, only a small handful of groups have cleared T9 so far on this server. Everybody else is getting in the practice, or gearing up.

Edit: Also, keep in mind that SE needs to retain non-coil groups as well. If I wasn't running coil, I'd about already be maxed out when it came to Soldiery pieces, and even players that aren't gearing for accuracy will likely be max geared on soldiery before 2.3.

Since gearing is the major incentive for this game, they, kinda need to do, "something," to allow the non coil players to continue gearing up, if only slowly.

WolvenOne

Are you saying that the pentamelded crafted gear is too accessible or that crafting is overpowered?

Well, what I'm saying is, "reportedly," pentamelded crafting gear is, in many cases, better than ilvl100 gear, and supposedly in a few cases, even better than ilvl110 gear, at least for DPS classes.

If that's indeed true, that's probably a slight design flaw, seeing as right now, "having gil," is the only barrier to getting that armor and having the pentamelding done.

I have no issue with people getting crafted high level armor that's suitable for high end content. However, there probably should be some barrier to it other than, "have a ton of gil."

I dunno, maybe require some rare untradable drop or something.

Well, what I'm saying is, "reportedly," pentamelded crafting gear is, in many cases, better than ilvl100 gear, and supposedly in a few cases, even better than ilvl110 gear, at least for DPS classes.

If that's indeed true, that's probably a slight design flaw, seeing as right now, "having gil," is the only barrier to getting that armor and having the pentamelding done.

I have no issue with people getting crafted high level armor that's suitable for high end content. However, there probably should be some barrier to it other than, "have a ton of gil."

But in order to have "a ton of gil" you need to devote quite a bit of time to the game anyway. Being farming gil from dungeons or other fights, DoL classes or the Market Board with the crafting classes. I think it's a good thing the game rewards that level of investment with good gear. Otherwise the whole portion of the game dedicated to gathering and crafting would be completely useless (and it sort of is in a way, since no crafted piece is BiS anyway).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
This is more aimed at the people who, haven't, cleared T9 yet, methinks. It gives high level Coil players some incentive to do CT2 more than once or twice. The lack of good players was the main thing wrong with CT1. Also, lets be honest here, only a small handful of groups have cleared T9 so far on this server. Everybody else is getting in the practice, or gearing up.

The main thing wrong with CT1 was the design of it itself - that, and it wasn't overly challenging. I wouldn't pin any of that on the players themselves as it was specifically designed to be accessible for those straight out of the level 50 end-game story dungeon.

In regards to Turn 9, the biggest thing isn't actually gear - groups beat it with less than what most people have now - but time. People need to be willing to pour a great deal of time into learning the fight and the majority of groups out there just don't have that.

Item Box

j2bE15L.png

move over high allagan...

creid

Yep, shared, I went from PS3 to PS4 and my trophies carry. The trophies show PS3 and PS4 icons below them.
Thanks, that's great. I was figuring I was going to have to eventually buy a T5 carry to get the trophy on PS3, as my experience with hard content on PS3 has been very bad D:

Way I see it is, gotta get that sand from somewhere to upgrade that bard belt. Have this high allagan belt sitting in my bags and every time I look at it I laugh at it since it's so bad even compared to the weathered soldiery belt. Sands could very well start to be used on armor for us soon and even then belts will never see that upgrade with coil sands.

Would any of the things I've accomplished in the PC version be transferred over (trophy wise) to my PS4, or would I have to do that content on the PS4 for it to count?

Alucrid

Banned

Reportedly? Anyone who knows their class knows this is true. I don't even see why you have a problem with crafted gear, it's not like it's absolutely required to clear coil. It gives some slight benefits, sure, but anyone in mostly i100 is probably on the same level. Yeah, they spent the gil for the armor, but more importantly they spent hours upon hours in coil the first week for those clears.

Also the real issue with CT was that it was content that was meant to be in the game three months ago when it came out.

WolvenOne

The main thing wrong with CT1 was the design of it itself - that, and it wasn't overly challenging. I wouldn't pin any of that on the players themselves as it was specifically designed to be accessible for those straight out of the level 50 end-game story dungeon.

In regards to Turn 9, the biggest thing isn't actually gear - groups beat it with less than what most people have now - but time. People need to be willing to pour a great deal of time into learning the fight and the majority of groups out there just don't have that.

I've ran plenty of CT's, where the raid couldn't be completed, because of trolling or incompetence. More the later than the former. I know you're complaining about boredom, but being stuck in a dungeon because nobody in Alliance C's been level 50 for more than two weeks, is far far worse.

Also, the ilvl the the first few T9 groups had is more than likely a bit misleading. The ilvl system doesn't really account for pentamelding and such.

WolvenOne

Heh, nope.

Gotta admit though, getting a lil frustrated. Basically just chimed in on something another poster stated and said, "eh, half agree."

I don't really think that warrants the dogpile session that certain people here seem to be insisting upon. XD

Isaccard

Heh, nope.

Gotta admit though, getting a lil frustrated. Basically just chimed in on something another poster stated and said, "eh, half agree."

I don't really think that warrants the dogpile session that certain people here seem to be insisting upon. XD

If I wasn't at work id avatar quote you XD

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I've ran plenty of CT's, where the raid couldn't be completed, because of trolling or incompetence. More the later than the former. I know you're complaining about boredom, but being stuck in a dungeon because nobody in Alliance C's been level 50 for more than two weeks, is far far worse.

Also, the ilvl the the first few T9 groups had is more than likely a bit misleading. The ilvl system doesn't really account for pentamelding and such.

As I said, CT was designed for lower level players and future CT will be just the same. Most of the higher geared players will likely stay away for the most part to avoid situations as you described. It's just not worth it, even when they had the one piece of loot a week lockout system in place. Many people ultimately gave it up.

WolvenOne

I must admit this is the first time I've seen the argument that crafted gear is too useful.

Like I said, when fully pentamelded, for DPS the crafted gear is better than most of the ilvl100 and some of the ilvl110. I was tip-toeing a bit earlier when I said earlier said, "reportedly," there's actually very little doubt that this is the case.

Also might note, that in a large progression focused FC, there's probably essentially no barrier to getting this armor.

Now, I'm not opposed to the crafted gear being useful. However, reportedly, the crafted gear was intended to be, "starting," gear for Coil, so drops were intended to replace it in time. The fact that it ended up being near ideal clearing gear for some classes is, by all accounts, not intentional.

WolvenOne

As I said, CT was designed for lower level players and future CT will be just the same. Most of the higher geared players will likely stay away for the most part to avoid situations as you described. It's just not worth it, even when they had the one piece of loot a week lockout system in place. Many people ultimately gave it up.

Anyone that already had some Coil turns on farm before CT hit, likely already had access to better drops. So it's no wonder that good groups had very little incentive to farm it. CT after all had originally been intended to be out at launch, not, three months later.

I might also note, that one or two good players can hold an otherwise poor alliance together fairly well in CT. So even a slight incentive improvement should make CT2 more enjoyable.

Mupod

PVP yo

someone sell me a sand

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Like I said, when fully pentamelded, for DPS the crafted gear is better than most of the ilvl100 and some of the ilvl110. I was tip-toeing a bit earlier when I said earlier said, "reportedly," there's actually very little doubt that this is the case.

Also might note, that in a large progression focused FC, there's probably essentially no barrier to getting this armor.

Now, I'm not opposed to the crafted gear being useful. However, reportedly, the crafted gear was intended to be, "starting," gear for Coil, so drops were intended to replace it in time. The fact that it ended up being near ideal clearing gear for some classes is, by all accounts, not intentional.

That fact that a piece of 2 million gil gear is 'sometimes' better than soldiery gear (poorly itemised soldiery gear) suggests that crafting is kind of pointless, but each to their own!

Tabris

That fact that a piece of 2 million gil gear is 'sometimes' better than soldiery gear (poorly itemised soldiery gear) suggests that crafting is kind of pointless, but each to their own!

You can buy the crafted gear + penta-meld for less than a million now.

Also what else are you spending huge amounts of gil on? People seem to hoard instead of spend.

WolvenOne

Not sometimes, "is," better than the ilvl100, and "sometimes" 110.

Also, once again, in a large progression centric FC, these pieces of armor aren't going to cost 2 million gil a piece. Heck, they don't even cost that much outside those groups.

Also, again, that wasn't intentional. It was a very small whoopsie on the part of the development team.

Tabris

Also, again, that wasn't intentional. It was a very small whoopsie on the part of the development team.

How do you know that wasn't intentional? They made the statement pre-2.2 that they were taking a lot of efforts to make crafters and crafted gear more relevant in 2.2

IvorB

....now if only I could do duty finder while having my choco in my party..

This really bugs me as well. I only got a fighter chocobo at the weekend and was looking forward to training him up but I can't queue for dungeons at the same time. It kills my whole flow.

Can anyone explain to me how to log on to libra eorzea app on Android when the security token is on the same phone. I can't multi window the apps

Buy a Galaxy Note III :)

Alucrid

Banned

Also, once again, in a large progression centric FC, these pieces of armor aren't going to cost 2 million gil a piece. Heck, they don't even cost that much outside those groups.

I doubt you'll find many examples of a melded armor being better than high allagan

WolvenOne

How do you know that wasn't intentional? They made the statement pre-2.2 that they were taking a lot of efforts to make crafters and crafted gear more relevant in 2.2

Because crafted gear was described as, "starting," gear for Second Coil, not clearing gear.

So genuine question, which job has pieces of crafting gear as BiS?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Probably depends a lot more on what pieces of Materia you're melding, rather than the armor pieces themselves.

But any BiS list would say which melds are best.
I have never heard of a crafted piece being better than both the high allegan and the upgraded soldiery pieces.

Probably depends a lot more on what pieces of Materia you're melding, rather than the armor pieces themselves.

Even with that in mind, which job does this apply to?

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but crafting gear can only have secondary stats melded to them 98% of the time, right? So again, which job is able to take such a huge hit to primary stats where the secondary stats overweight primary due to pentamelding?

This really bugs me as well. I only got a fighter chocobo at the weekend and was looking forward to training him up but I can't queue for dungeons at the same time. It kills my whole flow.

It is esp. annoying given the fact that leveling up your choco is such a slow grind. Square really needs to patch in the ability to have one in your party while waiting for the Duty Finder.

WolvenOne

Even with that in mind, which job does this apply to?

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but crafting gear can only have secondary stats melded to them 98% of the time, right? So again, which job is able to take such a huge hit to primary stats where the secondary stats overweight primary due to pentamelding?

primary stat on armor pieces is defense and magic defense, any DPS increase is from the secondary stats. So crafted ilvl90 gear, fulled melded to deal damage, is going to deal a lot of damage, but won't mitigate nearly as much damage as higher ilvl armor.

Kinda imbalanced in that respect, but, if your job is to deal damage, and you're good at avoiding attacks, it does make some sense.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
primary stat on armor pieces is defense and magic defense, any DPS increase is from the secondary stats. So crafted ilvl90 gear, fulled melded to deal damage, is going to deal a lot of damage, but won't mitigate nearly as much damage as higher ilvl armor.

Kinda imbalanced in that respect, but, if your job is to deal damage, and you're good at avoiding attacks, it does make some sense.

Primary stat is STR, INT, DEX, etc...
The armor values are trivial at best.

There still shouldn't be any crafted i90 that is better than i110.
The crafted pieces that are better than i100 are usually lacking accuracy and are good when a person can itemize for them.

Jayhawk

Time for a topic change!

With 2.28 coming out next week and Mob Hunts being a part of that patch, I expect to be checking out this new system outside of any duty-roulettes and coil progression with my group. Anybody else planning on participating in the Mob Hunts want to team up? :3

So, there's a lot to be said about your definition of primary stats, and secondary stats...

Just give me some examples of where ilvl90 pentamelded crafting gear is regarded as best in slot for any giving job? That way I can better understand where you are coming from?

WolvenOne

Stop taking incredibly asinine stances on things you have no clue about and I wouldn't have to

Do you even know what my stance is?

Lets recap.

1: That the gearing up period is perhaps, "slightly," too condensed.

2: That, crafted pentamelding gear is perhaps, "slightly," too useful as Coil starting gear.

3: That maybe it would've been better for the in-game community is Second Coil had taken another week or two to clear.

I'm not making claims that the developers made some sort of catastrophic mistake, rather, I'm saying that a couple taps to the left or right on the slide rule might've worked slightly better.

I'd hardly call that asinine. 9_9

Aeana

Do you even know what my stance is?

Lets recap.

1: That the gearing up period is perhaps, "slightly," too condensed.

2: That, crafted pentamelding gear is perhaps, "slightly," too useful as Coil starting gear.

3: That maybe it would've been better for the in-game community is Second Coil had taken another week or two to clear.

I'm not making claims that the developers made some sort of catastrophic mistake, rather, I'm saying that a couple taps to the left or right on the slide rule might've worked slightly better.

I'd hardly call that asinine. 9_9
What I don't understand is why you're projecting on the people who cleared second Coil. You have no idea how much time they spent clearing it. You see it as a matter of days, or weeks. They're coming at it as a matter of actual continuous hours put into it. They did not just walk in and clear the content. They put a LOT of time into it and eventually worked out the puzzle and coordination and won.

Meanwhile, you're complaining about it being too easy, when as far as I know, you have yet to even clear turn 7. If it is sooo easy, then why have you not cleared turn 9? Why has nobody in the FC at all cleared turn 9 yet? Are we bad players? No, we are not. The reason we haven't cleared it is because we have not put in nearly as much time toward learning the mechanics and coordination to win. Because the content is not as easy as you are trying to make it seem.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Has BiS already been set in stone for 2.2 for all jobs? Last I remember it was still hotly debated on the official forums and reddit

I don't think BiS is really debated. The only thing that gets people weirded out is the stat-weight on skill speed. Either way, BiS is your choice of i110 High Allegan or i110 Soldiery items. No crafted gear ever makes the list.

Pre T9 - Pre T8 etc.. Those are still debated since not all gear is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom