• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

Are you talking about me? I am arguing with Tiggerkiddo who's here.

No no. I forget who exactly in GAF mumble I was asking about crafted gear for DPS, since it was last week. (That, and I'm exhausted today, gieb sleep!)

Still, I don't like seeing people demeaned and belittled when they aren't present to defend themselves. It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine, I suppose.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I already explained that I just don't want to see a repeat of 2.1 where the server was like super dead because people ran out of things to do

It's already to the point where I generally log in for raids and capping soldiery. Not a whole lot else to do other than pvp.

Tabris

I already explained that I just don't want to see a repeat of 2.1 where the server was like super dead because people ran out of things to do

How would making second coil "super hard" solve that? People haven't cleared T9, still doesn't make them log in more.

The actual issue with that has nothing to do with the difficulty but the amount of non-lockout things you can do at true end game. Making second coil harder or easier isn't going to change that.

WolvenOne

While I'd describe that as a slight exaggeration, I would agree that should be avoided. As per Coil, well, BG clearing it within a month will slightly accelerate the speed at which other groups clear it, but not by too terribly much.

Besides, aside from throwing in completely broken mechanics, the developers couldn't have done too much to hold BG back more than a few more weeks. This is why I've been classifying it as a minor flaw. I think they may have slightly underestimated how quickly groups could gear up for T9, but, that's about it.

Tabris

Tiggerkiddo. You know how you solve the issue you are looking for? You add a bunch of farming requirements to everything. Need an item from a boss? Well you gotta farm for 12 items to pop that boss for a 5% chance at that item. People will stay logged in, but it won't be as fun.

It's really 2 options - short digestible content or long drawn out content. There's a game if you want long drawn out content - it's called FFXI

I kinda want less reasons to log in anyway. I wanna play other games!

Coil is enough for me. That, and the boring job of getting soldiery. Most of my fun in this game is from Coil.

Let's just all agree that this content is not easy for us. Who cares how fast blue gartr or CL clears it. Why does that matter to us? It's god darn hard content for us. We got groups learning T9, groups learning T8, groups learning T7, and groups learning T6. None of us have conquered T9 (except that Jmairu guy who posts here).

I'm personally having fun (and sometimes getting a bit frustrated but that makes the payoff that much better) learning these turns. And it's hard for me. Tia, you should know how excited I got when we finally cleared Turn 6. I'll probably feel the same way for T7, and T8, and T9.

I don't know how some groups that have nothing to do with us clearing content fast should affect / diminish our enjoyment?

Watching Jmairu's livestream was awesome. I only watched the first failed attempt on T9, but I could tell they had that in the bag, and I can't wait to look that cool in T9 sometime in the future. I'm annoyed our first clear of T6 ended with me dead at the end -_- That happened on Titan HM and EX, too. At least I was alive for my first T5 clear. Rectified that T6 snafu with our second clear, though. Love doing stuff I've cleared before more times to improve and refine my job's strategy.

As for how quickly one clear's content...unless you're in a handful of groups that we all know about, you're not going to clear some of this stuff quickly. It will take some time, and just because you clear something after another group has doesn't mean jack in terms of you or your group's "skill" level. Every battle in this game simply requires time (a lot of it) to practice, coordination, and a base minimum gear level to overcome. Memorize a rotation. Memorize a pattern. Memorize positioning. And doing it as a group, not an individual.

You can know any of these battles inside out, yet if even just one person doesn't know the battle well enough, all your knowledge is for naught. I feel one the key skills people tend to under value (and I' guilty of this too) is communication. Giving concise instructions or explanations on mechanics. Calling out certain things to make people aware. Giving criticism/suggestions to possibly improve the overall performance of the group. Again, this is simply because all the individual skill in the world won't save you in any of the game's hardest content without all 8 people being on point.

I also understand I have not cleared anything beyond T6 at this point because it is my own doing. I actively did not try coil in 2.0, and ignored it for many weeks into 2.1. When I decided it was time I should actually try it, I stuck to PF groups only. If I had realized what I wanted out of the game then that I know now, I would have actively sought a static and would likely already be further in coil than I am now. So I'm realistic and happy that despite joining a static coil relatively late for somebody in my position, we're already on T7. Coil is something you work at for a long time, and it seems like each stage of coil (First, Second, etc) will be the end goal through multiple patches.

I also realized that as long as I clear the rest of a patch's content, having coil left isn't such a bad thing at all. I enjoy doing the EX Primals and new dungeons, and I like to go back to old content often enough so I never get rusty. I feel keeping all of this stuff semi-fresh is beneficial towards building mental shortcuts to help you with the more advanced mechanics you encounter later on. It also makes explaining new stuff easier when it's very similar to existing battle mechanics.

I think it's just all about what you want out of the game. I can have fun doing the harder content just as much as I can taking new people through something for the first time. Though, I still laugh when somebody joins a Levi "farm" group and I see the achievement appear for them indicating it's their first clear. However, it's no fun when somebody is new and simply will not listen to anything and ruin the run. Least there is vote kick, though I wish more people would be open to listening.

Sophia

My god, I've blacklisted four people since logging on, and I've only logged on long enough to do one Guildhest at best!

This is getting out of control. ;_;

EDIT: Make that five people now, wow...

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
My god, I've blacklisted four people since logging on, and I've only logged on long enough to do one Guildhest at best!

This is getting out of control. ;_;

EDIT: Make that five people now, wow...

are you on ultras? i just block all tells so i never see gil sellers

Aeana

I personally use the Guildwork app's feature to block messages that contain specific patterns, so I just never see them in the first place, and I don't have to blacklist people. Of course, that's only available to PC users.

Ken

Do you lick people randomly in tells? Deviant!

jXiC8w0oTzF92.png

Sophia

are you on ultras? i just block all tells so i never see gil sellers

Nah I'm on Adamantoise, and I can't block all tells because I regularly chat with people about guild specific stuff in them. Even if I didn't, I wouldn't want to anyhow.

I personally use the Guildwork app's feature to block messages that contain specific patterns, so I just never see them in the first place, and I don't have to blacklist people. Of course, that's only available to PC users.

Huh, that's a pretty interesting feature. Does it work even if your guild doesn't use Guildwork? If so I'll have to download the app.

br3wnor

How's it run on PS3? I won't be getting a PS4 until later in the year and would really love to play this over the summer. Also, how is the game if you can only play 5-10 hours a week? My time will be kind of limited but I won't mind slow progression if it can be enjoyable in 1-2 hour bursts.

* Also, are PC, PS4 and PS3 players all in online walled gardens, or do all the versions play together?

How's it run on PS3? I won't be getting a PS4 until later in the year and would really love to play this over the summer. Also, how is the game if you can only play 5-10 hours a week? My time will be kind of limited but I won't mind slow progression if it can be enjoyable in 1-2 hour bursts.

* Also, are PC, PS4 and PS3 players all in online walled gardens, or do all the versions play together?

It just about runs on PS3. The animations may be slightly reminiscent of the original Clash of the Titans and busy towns may seem oddly quiet due to culling. The PS4 version runs great.

5-10 hours a week is perfectly fine if you're happy with slow progression. The dungeons and raids are on one to one and a half hour timers, so you can happily login, do a dungeon and log off if that's your thing. The duty roulette feature gives you once-a-day bonuses for doing a random dungeon or boss, so that might help you gain XP and gear a little faster.

PC, PS4 and PS3 versions all play together.

dramatis

Been having a weird problem where my controller stops working for a second and kicks back in. I know it's not the controller itself because it works fine with all my steam games, it's only FF where it acts up.

Any ideas?
There might be things that FF14 in particular affects the drivers. diablos991 has more crashes than anything for this game.

scosher

Turns 6-9's difficulty is tuned very well and I don't believe Square should have added arbitrary gear checks like certain Vitality requirements, etc. to make them harder. In fact, they may have already thought Turn 8 was going to be a DPS check but underestimated how much DPS top raiding groups can put out. That's the downside of having only internal testing.

Plus, if they start going down that path, soon they'll think having "resist gear" checks is a good way to slow people down, when it was possibly the worst thing about vanilla WoW.

Instead of upping the difficulty, I would've preferred simply more encounters. Having only 4 new turns to last us 6 months was a disappointment when it was first announced, and it's still disappointing now. Even adding 2-3 extra bosses that are relatively easier mechanic-wise than the other four turns, ie. so-called loot pinatas like Patchwerk in Naxxramus, would have been preferable. It would also allow Square to spread the loot table so we're not banking on a 10% chance (or whatever the odds are) to get an item from a specific turn.

Either that or they should consider upping the difficulty of CT to be comparable to Coil with comparable iLvl, or have a hard mode and normal mode version for it. And of course allowing 24-man premade alliances to queue in.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Been having a weird problem where my controller stops working for a second and kicks back in. I know it's not the controller itself because it works fine with all my steam games, it's only FF where it acts up.

Any ideas?

There might be things that FF14 in particular affects the drivers. diablos991 has more crashes than anything for this game.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. If you plan on getting rid of FFxiv specific crashes, be prepared to drop a few benjamins.
(I'm at $800 so far and still crashing. Hopefully the latest expenditure will help)

There are a finite number of things to do in any relatively new MMO. I'm not seeing the problem here. If you're that bored you can come get your face wrecked in PvP with me but somehow I doubt you're interested in that.

WolvenOne

Turns 6-9's difficulty is tuned very well and I don't believe Square should have added arbitrary gear checks like certain Vitality requirements, etc. to make them harder. In fact, they may have already thought Turn 8 was going to be a DPS check but underestimated how much DPS top raiding groups can put out. That's the downside of having only internal testing.

Plus, if they start going down that path, soon they'll think having "resist gear" checks is a good way to slow people down, when it was possibly the worst thing about vanilla WoW.

Instead of upping the difficulty, I would've preferred simply more encounters. Having only 4 new turns to last us 6 months was a disappointment when it was first announced, and it's still disappointing now. Even adding 2-3 extra bosses that are relatively easier mechanic-wise than the other four turns, ie. so-called loot pinatas like Patchwerk in Naxxramus, would have been preferable. It would also allow Square to spread the loot table so we're not banking on a 10% chance (or whatever the odds are) to get an item from a specific turn.

Either that or they should consider upping the difficulty of CT to be comparable to Coil with comparable iLvl, or have a hard mode and normal mode version for it. And of course allowing 24-man premade alliances to queue in.

I'd actually agree with this. With only four encounters, they really don't have all that many ways to pad things out, and they aren't particularly ideal ways either.

I do suspect CT2 will be a little tougher than CT1, but, probably only in terms of DPS checks and such. They can't really make the mechanics all that much more complex in a twenty four man raid.

Well, I guess if they're indeed making it so you can do a full 24-man prebuilt group you could go a little tougher, but still, not THAT much.

Edit: At least one Second Coil level difficulty Trial would help too, of course. Though, again, the developers might be a little reluctant to do that after the whole Titan EM thing.

br3wnor

It just about runs on PS3. The animations may be slightly reminiscent of the original Clash of the Titans and busy towns may seem oddly quiet due to culling. The PS4 version runs great.

5-10 hours a week is perfectly fine if you're happy with slow progression. The dungeons and raids are on one to one and a half hour timers, so you can happily login, do a dungeon and log off if that's your thing. The duty roulette feature gives you once-a-day bonuses for doing a random dungeon or boss, so that might help you gain XP and gear a little faster.

PC, PS4 and PS3 versions all player together.

That sounds good enough for me. When I eventually get a PS4 I'm assuming my character will transfer over since it's account based. I was playing Amular the past week and it just gave me this incredible itch to play an MMO on a console, gonna give this a shot, thanks

Mairu

Longer tiers would be nice :/

That sounds good enough for me. When I eventually get a PS4 I'm assuming my character will transfer over since it's account based. I was playing Amular the past week and it just gave me this incredible itch to play an MMO on a console, gonna give this a shot, thanks

I think you might be eligible for the free PS3->PS4 upgrade if you go that route, but you should check the details before you make a decision.
Think of the PS3, PS4 and PC versions as all clients for the same service. It doesn't matter if you created your character on PS3 - you'll be able to play it on any platform as long as you have a licence for that platform on your account.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Man, these last two levels take a lot of EXP. I kind of enjoy it, though.

Only 3 more hunts to go and I'll be done with all ACN hunts & my Level 2 GC hunts. Maybe my favorite part of the game, riding on my chocobo, exploring the lands and finding my marks. Really looking forward to Exploration Logs & daily hunts.

WolvenOne

Actually, here's how I think I would do it.

I'd stick with 4 Turns, 5 max, but I'd put two bosses in every turn. The first boss would always be easier, but, only drop accessories. Heck, I'd even consider limiting it to a single item drop, instead of the standard two.

So, basically, think Turn 1, only ADS-Light actually dropped something.

Ken

Actually, here's how I think I would do it.

I'd stick with 4 Turns, 5 max, but I'd put two bosses in every turn. The first boss would always be easier, but, only drop accessories. Heck, I'd even consider limiting it to a single item drop, instead of the standard two.

So, basically, think Turn 1, only ADS-Light actually dropped something.

...wouldn't that speed up how fast people gear and clear content even more, resulting in you complaining again?

br3wnor

I think you might be eligible for the free PS3->PS4 upgrade if you go that route, but you should check the details before you make a decision.
Think of the PS3, PS4 and PC versions as all clients for the same service. It doesn't matter if you created your character on PS3 - you'll be able to play it on any platform as long as you have a licence for that platform on your account.

Yeah, that's how Blizzard works w/ Battle.net. I play Hearthstone and Diablo on multiple machines seamlessly, it's great

WolvenOne

...wouldn't that speed up how fast people gear and clear content even more, resulting in you complaining again?

If that first boss was actually easy, yeah it would. If there's some actual legit challenge there however, even if it's less severe than the Turns main boss, I would think it'd actually increase the overall time it took to clear a Turn.

Granted, it'd result in less farming after the fact, since the RNG would be a little more predictable. That, really isn't a bad thing though, crumby RNG's not exactly the ideal way to pad out content.

Kinda wish the zones in this game were a tad bigger. Maybe not XI big where it could take forever to cross a map but big enough!

Kinda wish there were less invisible walls and maybe merge a few areas instead of having to zone into a bunch of smaller areas *shrugs*

I wonder if the way the areas are restricted has something to do with keeping it playable for PS3.

Veldin

Just my thoughts on the content concerns:

Honestly, Coil should have at least twice as many bosses. I'm not really concerned with how feasible that is or not, I just know that the current endgame consists of only four bosses. Difficulty aside, that's a pathetic amount for an MMO, and it's a problem that has persisted since launch. My group has already fallen into the same state we were in from November up to 2.2's release. We log on, clear everything, and then disperse for about six whole days, bored and with nothing more to do with ourselves or each other than a few flaccid, unrewarding dungeons we can putz around in for soldiery until reset. I like the game, but I don't have enough reasons to play it in the week.

They need to change their philosophy. Why can't primals be implemented into 8-man dungeons? Why isn't there more 24-man stuff outside of CT? Why do 4-mans suck? I don't know. Whatever. Damnit devs, make more stuff.

Sophia

Kinda wish the zones in this game were a tad bigger. Maybe not XI big where it could take forever to cross a map but big enough!

I feel like the zones are kind of bound to the original design a little bit. While they're much better than the legacy maps, you can see areas where you wonder why they just aren't completely opened up. Fallgourd Float being an example. My guess is that they were simply restrained on time. I'm hoping that any new zones introduced are more open, especially now that Yoshida has expressed interests in GW2 style jumping puzzles.

Kinda wish there were less invisible walls and maybe merge a few areas instead of having to zone into a bunch of smaller areas *shrugs*

I wonder if the way the areas are restricted has something to do with keeping it playable for PS3.

That's a possibility too. In the legacy game the zones were all connected together, and you can see that the maps still properly connect in A Realm Reborn, but aren't used in favor of teleportation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom