• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzu

n22vXU2.gif

Alright, so here's a question. What's this vanity/glamour I keep hearing about? I thought I've heard it's kinda like wearing one set of armor, but using the looks of another. Is that it or is there more to it?

Aeana

Alright, so here's a question. What's this vanity/glamour I keep hearing about? I thought I've heard it's kinda like wearing one set of armor, but using the looks of another. Is that it or is there more to it?
That's what it is. You can assign the looks of another piece of armor to another piece of armor so you gain the stats of one piece, but the appearance of something else.

Sophia

Once you hit level 50 with at least one class, you can acquire the right to use an item called a Glamor Prism. This will chance the appearance of a piece of equipment in your inventory with that of another equipment piece, while retaining all stats and functionality. Different equipment requires a different type of glamor prism, and the items must be of the same type. So you can't glamor, for example, a White Mage only helm to a Paladin helm.

Only the Glamor Prism is consumed, you keep all equipment pieces, and prisms can easily be obtained from a crafter or the marketboard.

Number45

I found the secret to Bray speedruns
32px-Divine_Seal_Icon.png
32px-Regen_Icon.png
32px-Cleric_Stance_Icon.png
32px-Holy_Icon.png
32px-Holy_Icon.png
32px-Swiftcast_Icon.png
32px-Holy_Icon.png
I started these yesterday, as ilvl 65 (I have the Axe of Crags and I bought crafted ilvl70 jewellery and a myth belt, but the rest is AF gear). I've been pronouncing myself as new/fairly new each time I go in. First time they suggested I take it slowly, but in every subsequent run it's been more and more crazy... and it's great fun!

Kudos to those healers that have managed to keep me on my feet even while tanking around 10 mobs! xD

Buy a Galaxy Note III :)
I've quoted the wrong post here, but can you even login to the Libra app?

I know with others like these (battle.net for example) I can just switch between the apps in iOS to generate the code and switch back to input it.

That sounds good enough for me. When I eventually get a PS4 I'm assuming my character will transfer over since it's account based. I was playing Amular the past week and it just gave me this incredible itch to play an MMO on a console, gonna give this a shot, thanks
I played the PS3 version for a month or so and I had no issues with it at all. You'll have no other reference point so you won't feel like you're missing anything, but you'll love the upgrade when you do move to PS4. :)

Also, as mentioned, you'll be able to upgrade to PS4 free of charge as long as you do so before the end of the year.

So which master crafter is the most useful? So far I have CUL, CRP and ALC at 50. Only CUL is slightly geared at the moment and I will probably level LTW next since its 37 and then probably WVR next. If I should be leveling something else first instead, I can start on it.

Can anyone explain to me how to log on to libra eorzea app on Android when the security token is on the same phone. I can't multi window the apps

You can't just open the software token app, look at the number and remember it for 10 seconds, then switch to the Libra Eorzea app and enter the number in?

Hasney

You can't just open the software token app, look at the number and remember it for 10 seconds, then switch to the Libra Eorzea app and enter the number in?

They've also invented this device called the "pen". I do believe it will revolutionise the way we bring data from a digital world into the physical.

You can certainly do that. That's what I do to log in the Libra app on my Nexus.

Finally level up my carpenter to LV50. Leveling up from 40 to 50 is stupidly fast. I did that in 2 hours or so. I thought patch 2.1 nerf leveling DoH somehow.

You can certainly do that. That's what I do to log in the Libra app on my Nexus.

Finally level up my carpenter to LV50. Leveling up from 40 to 50 is stupidly fast. I did that in 2 hours or so. I thought patch 2.1 nerf leveling DoH somehow.

They only nerfed triple turn in leves. Single turn in are the best for leveling.

Epcott

Wooo hooo! Yesterday was a good day!

I've been playing off and on since the first day of PS3 beta and last night I FINALLY reached lvl 50 SMN and completed its class quests. Also beat Wanderers Palace. Still on lvl 49 main quest "All Upon the Watchtowers" but I don't think I have much further to go.

Now I can finally: Roll a DOW class, focus on my weaver, fish, figure out how HM fights and relics work, and finally feel like I belong with the rest of the overcrowding at Revenant's Toll!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Feels fun being low level again
1auD78ll.jpg

Kind of funny how something taken away from you makes you feel like the world is so large again

No choco + porting everywhere, sprinting to objectives, mobs aggroing you that have no business doing so, cause your used to your original character

Also for those who asked how you can tell PS3/PS4 users, see that Online ID: GRAVEROBBERX on the bottom right hand side, that's how
You can pick up on who is running on alt's that way too

Played a Dongeon last night with a friend. he was an archer and i used my second class a conjurer , to help him level . We also had help from a black mage we trusted.
The light party was almost full , we just needed a tank , to play the tam-tara dongeon.

DUTY FINDER TIME !
And then ...

The tank didn't know the dongeon either, you'd tell me that's not a problem.
But he was rushing ahead, didn't aggro the ennemies, actually stopped attacking for no reason , just to open chest to to rush ahead , and bringing them back to us when we barely had time to cooldown , especially our mage that didn't have time to regen his MP despite the aura effect.

Not only did we tell him to slow down or stop , or to wait for us, he ignored us. He was os intent on going ahead that he didn't even realise that you needed to interract on the giant orb to unlock the next area.To say the least he wasn't even using his skills to agro the ennemies.

This was the most WTF dongeon i've ever done in this game.I get it that some people need to learn how to play ... but he wasn't even listening to us! i was saying "stop , don't go so fast , wait for us " and so on..

I don't ...even.

What is the point of playing this game. if you don't even pay attention to what other people are saying in a dongeon? i don't even know how he managed to clear sastasha when he don't even use his skills ! WHAT IS THE POINT?
it's almost as if he thought we were npcs

I needed to get this out, thank to the limit break , we were able to clear the last part of the boss since he couldn't keep him occupied.( the joy of not using skills :-( )

system11

A picture paints a thousand words, but this word suggests a thousand pictures, each one more terrifying than the last.

Seriously though, there are some really bad tanks out there and sadly it's a class where you can easily tell. Sometimes I have to be the tank and the healer keeps my bard topped up, because the poorer tanks just can't hold the agro. Granted sometimes this is because they're uncapped and I'm i94, but far from always.

Dunan

The level of "MMO drama" in this game continues to surprise me.

I still haven't managed to get into a full, active Coil party yet. Today I queued for one, and when I got there there were only five members and an argument was burning itself out. I ask what happened and the answer was:

"FFXIV's player base, that's what happened."

Hystzen

Yeah had drama yesturday in Ifrit HM people just calling each other dicks or stressing for no reason.

Got called trash due to being hit by a landslide (no idea how) in Titan HM at end of fight

Elitism is getting worse more I get into endgame content

system11

There are definitely alot more bot tanks out there.

I was in a Wanderer's Keep run where someone demanded to know if the tank was a bot. They couldn't understand why the tank was running like a train and the mission was being demolished as a result. It's a shame that because some bots exist, it makes people suspicious. The guy was just good, end of story. With a good tank/DPS and a mage who can keep them ticking as well as nuking themself, most of these 4 man dungeons are smooth.

plake

Yeah had drama yesturday in Ifrit HM people just calling each other dicks or stressing for no reason.

Got called trash due to being hit by a landslide (no idea how) in Titan HM at end of fight

Elitism is getting worse more I get into endgame content

Agreed. People forget this is ultimately about having fun.

IvorB

Man, these last two levels take a lot of EXP. I kind of enjoy it, though.

Only 3 more hunts to go and I'll be done with all ACN hunts & my Level 2 GC hunts. Maybe my favorite part of the game, riding on my chocobo, exploring the lands and finding my marks. Really looking forward to Exploration Logs & daily hunts.

Yeah love exploring the land on my trusty Artax. I keep finding new areas I haven't seen before. At the weekend I missioned up through Nothern Thanalan, up past the wierd magitech area and into Mor Dhona. My mind was totally blown. I wish there was some kind of advantage for ferretting about like you could find something rare and useful. I was missioning around the place with all the glowing stuff and I saw an partially invisible dude sitting on the edge of a chasm fishing.

Of course the story only ever sends you to Camp Drybone.

DeviantBoi

Finally redeemed my PS3 free game time and transferred my account to the PS4.

Is there still room in the FC for a new member?

I'll be creating my character tonight and applying for membership afterwards.

bob page

So I'm up to level 18 and just now realized that I can join guilds other than lancer (blacksmith, carpenter, etc). Am I screwed or should I just join one ASAP and try to stomach the lower level crap?

Reknoc

So I'm up to level 18 and just now realized that I can join guilds other than lancer (blacksmith, carpenter, etc). Am I screwed or should I just join one ASAP and try to stomach the lower level crap?

leveling up other classes matters little until you want to upgrade to your job.

dramatis

To become a proper dragoon at level 30, you will need to level marauder up to 15, but otherwise 'joining other guilds' (aka obtaining alternate classes) is not a requirement.

When you hit level 30 lancer, you'll want to level marauder up to 15 so that you can get the dragoon job. (The dragoon job is basically something you equip to your lancer, so all your dragoon levels and experience are actually your lancer levels and experience.) You may also want to pick up useful cross-class skills from other classes later on.

Levelling up other classes is part of the game's structure, and you get an EXP bonus for levelling a class that's a lower level than your higher class, so it'll breeze by. (By doing your hunting log, leves and challenges, you can go from 1-15 in no time at all.) Additionally, you'll have a lot more methods to level up unlocked compared to when you were levelling your first class.

At level 18 you probably don't need to worry about it too much unless you want to, or if you feel like getting into crafting or gathering.

iammeiam

Along the lines of end-game elitism and leveling other classes, is there a point at which people will start getting angry if you don't have all your optimal cross-class skills? For BRD I need to get Lancer into the mid-30s and Pugilist into the 40s to get the last couple of skills, but the idea of leveling two melee DPS classes right now isn't particularly interesting to me. Is there a point in endgame where I'm reasonably expected to have Blood for Blood/Mantra?

BLCKATK

Along the lines of end-game elitism and leveling other classes, is there a point at which people will start getting angry if you don't have all your optimal cross-class skills? For BRD I need to get Lancer into the mid-30s and Pugilist into the 40s to get the last couple of skills, but the idea of leveling two melee DPS classes right now isn't particularly interesting to me. Is there a point in endgame where I'm reasonably expected to have Blood for Blood/Mantra?

You don't need Mantra, that is definitely a bonus skill, however, in order to reach your full potential as a bard (a DPS/Support Hybrid), you need Blood for Blood. Nowadays, you probably don't need it until Titan Hard, maybe you can even get away with not having it until Binding Coil Turn 1, but after that, yes, you need it.

Try sticking with Lancer, it is a fun class and once you hit 34 if you don't like it you can be done with it. But your dps will thank you, and your party will thank you too for the increased dps (along with the support!).

zewone

Which is why I'm glad I leveled DRG to 50 first. Makes my BRD leveling so much easier.

system11

You don't need Mantra, that is definitely a bonus skill, however, in order to reach your full potential as a bard (a DPS/Support Hybrid), you need Blood for Blood. Nowadays, you probably don't need it until Titan Hard, maybe you can even get away with not having it until Binding Coil Turn 1, but after that, yes, you need it.

Not really. I don't have it yet and I've cleared Turn 4 and Titan EX, usually in any mission I'm running with agro just behind the tanks despite Quelling Strikes. Then again I'm using equipment far in excess of the requirements.

That whole 'taking 25% more damage' part means you'll need to pick and choose where you use it, especially in PUGs.

Definitely interested for suggestions on how to level Lancer really fast though! I don't care how tedious or challenging it is, but I'm low on leve allowances due to levelling a craft right now. I got Lancer to 22 for Invigorate and said a merry goodbye, didn't really enjoy it.

IvorB

Cross-class skills for my Black Mage proved to be a bit of a damp squib. Only got Raging Strikes which isn't that great due to heavy cooldown. I think I might get physick too for those moments when things have gone horribly wrong.

Cross-class skills for my Black Mage proved to be a bit of a damp squib. Only got Raging Strikes which isn't that great due to heavy cooldown. I think I might get physick too for those moments when things have gone horribly wrong.

20% increase in damage is no joke lol.

iammeiam

Thanks for the info, I'll suck it up and try to put some time in to LNC and eventually DRG to pick up the extra skills since I'm debating trying to start PUGing first coil in the near future. Invigorate will be nice to have, anyway, since I tend to burn through TP.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

Raging Strikes probably had the best level/utility ratio of any cross class skills. Took 5 min to get ARC there.

IvorB

20% increase in damage is no joke lol.

Yeah for sure that's great and I do use it. But it only lasts twenty seconds and the cooldown is in minutes. So I'd be lucky to do it twice in a boss fight. I never use it for general enemies. Plus for Black Mage a lot of that time is going to be in casting. Even with Switfcast it's only a couple of hits you can juice up and then it's over. That's why it seems a bit underwhelming.

Raging Strikes probably had the best level/utility ratio of any cross class skills. Took 5 min to get ARC there.

Yeah I dig it and use it alot but it's not the game changer I hoped it would be.

Wilsongt

I actually did Bray speedruns last night on my BLM despite hadn't doing it on my BLM any at all. The first couple of times were rough, but I managed to get the hang of it and learn the rotation smoothly enough.

system11

Thanks for the info, I'll suck it up and try to put some time in to LNC and eventually DRG to pick up the extra skills since I'm debating trying to start PUGing first coil in the near future. Invigorate will be nice to have, anyway, since I tend to burn through TP.

You really need Invigorate, as soon as you need to pop AOEs on bard, that TP bar just vanishes and if you're using Army's Paeon you kill your damage output meaning you need more targets to be present for it to be worth it. Another TP saving tip is to have all the AOE skills to hand so you can fire the other two if they come up as freebies after Wide Volley. Best way to appreciate this is Brayflox which is AOE heavy - that was when I decided "ok no more delaying, I need to get Lancer out of the way now".

I have both my bard and black mage at 50. Having a grimore wing to use for glamour has motivated me to level arcanist/summoner to 50. So it's gonna have all the cross class skills I need

iammeiam

You really need Invigorate, as soon as you need to pop AOEs on bard, that TP bar just vanishes and if you're using Army's Paeon you kill your damage output meaning you need more targets to be present for it to be worth it. Another TP saving tip is to have all the AOE skills to hand so you can fire the other two if they come up as freebies after Wide Volley. Best way to appreciate this is Brayflox which is AOE heavy - that was when I decided "ok no more delaying, I need to get Lancer out of the way now".

Yeah AOEs are murdering my TP, and I've got Brayflox HM unlocked but haven't tried it yet due to fears of speedrun expectations. I have the four AOEs on buttons and songs/voice on DPad mapped to L2+R2 (and R2+L2 because I haven't needed the extra slots so far) which has been working for having them handy for Castrum/Prae roulette while not sucking up primary slots.

BLCKATK

Not really. I don't have it yet and I've cleared Turn 4 and Titan EX, usually in any mission I'm running with agro just behind the tanks despite Quelling Strikes. Then again I'm using equipment far in excess of the requirements.

That whole 'taking 25% more damage' part means you'll need to pick and choose where you use it, especially in PUGs.

Definitely interested for suggestions on how to level Lancer really fast though! I don't care how tedious or challenging it is, but I'm low on leve allowances due to levelling a craft right now. I got Lancer to 22 for Invigorate and said a merry goodbye, didn't really enjoy it.

With Echo Buff, you barely need to be using any kind of cooldown to put out respectable damage. 15% damage increased is a lot. You'll always be close on hate as well because Echo doesn't effect the amount of threat generated, and just the amount of damage. But if you want to be respectable on your damage and exceed those of your peers, you're going to want every damage cooldown you can get. If you put out good damage and good support on Bard, people will remember that and want to play with you more.

Of course a bit of fight knowledge is needed as well. Never use it before a large AoE damage like Earthen Fury, Tumult, or Twintania's Fireball. But normally, you should be able to rotate it just fine, even in a pug group. If you take any damage, remember to immediately recover with Second Wind!

chrono01

Remember to level your Archer to 34 for Quelling Strikes, otherwise your static might make you wear the "Hat of Shame" until you do.

BLMShame.jpg

I know from personal experience...

Dunan

Physick has been a life-saver for my Black Mage. I can't imagine being able to complete the solo class-progression battles without it.

I too have Raging Strikes and am debatnig whether it's worth the hotbar space. As you say, it only lasts 20 seconds and has a long cooldown period. Unless I find something better, I suppose I'll stick with it for boss fights, but it's underwhelming.

Remember to level your Archer to 34 for Quelling Strikes, otherwise your static might make you wear the "Hat of Shame" until you do.

I've got an archer at about L16; it it worth continuing that high or is there a better cross-class additino for the BLM?

WolvenOne

So, when is 2.28 supposed to hit again? I want to get to work on my Novus Weapon already.

Also, as long as I have your attention.

Featherfoot, or Convelescence? I've been using the former to boost the underwhelming damage mitigation of Foresight, but using two CD's just for, "meh, satisfactory," damage mitigation, seems kinda wasteful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom