• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrono01

I've got an archer at about L16; it it worth continuing that high or is there a better cross-class additino for the BLM?
If you have awesome tanks running with you [like I do], Quelling Strikes isn't exactly needed. It does come in-handy during burst phases though [so you can switch to them right away without worrying about pulling aggro] and during SR's [that Fire II/Flare AOE rotation is an Enmity generator].

Leveling doesn't take that long, especially if you do the random dungeon/guildhest each day. I'd probably recommend leveling your Archer to 34, just to have it on-hand, but it's up to you whether you think it's worth it or not. Personally, I'd say go for it.

[Plus it will save you from the horror of the sugarloaf hat.]

Say what you want but I'd rather have raging strikes then not have it. I find it better to use it during certain phases (like second conflag in turn 5) that require a strong dps check. I just need to get arcanist up to 34 for eye for an eye.

Panda Rin

So, when is 2.28 supposed to hit again? I want to get to work on my Novus Weapon already.

Also, as long as I have your attention.

Featherfoot, or Convelescence? I've been using the former to boost the underwhelming damage mitigation of Foresight, but using two CD's just for, "meh, satisfactory," damage mitigation, seems kinda wasteful.

June 4 or 5 I think

So, when is 2.28 supposed to hit again? I want to get to work on my Novus Weapon already.

Also, as long as I have your attention.

Featherfoot, or Convelescence? I've been using the former to boost the underwhelming damage mitigation of Foresight, but using two CD's just for, "meh, satisfactory," damage mitigation, seems kinda wasteful.

As a healer I greatly prefer convalescence on the tank, but I don't tank so other the other option might be better.

Dunan

If you have awesome tanks running with you [like I do], Quelling Strikes isn't exactly needed. It does come in-handy during burst phases though [so you can switch to them right away without worrying about pulling aggro] and during SR's [that Fire II/Flare AOE rotation is an Enmity generator].

Revealing-my-noobishnes time: what is a "burst phase", and what does SR stand for?

[Plus it will save you from the horror of the sugarloaf hat.]

My character wore a sugarloaf hat for quite a while. It fits quite nicely with the other velveteen stuff!

Artorias

Banned
Just did an EX primal where 2 people lied and said they had watched a video...without even being asked. I just can't even fathom what you could gain from that. It took 6 wipes to get them used to the mechanics and each time somebody pointed something out they were like "Oh ok, my bad."

I mean they were nice enough, but why the fuck waste everyones time like that? It would have taken less time to just explain the fight than to wipe every time they were unfamiliar with something.

WolvenOne

Just did an EX primal where 2 people lied and said they had watched a video...without even being asked. I just can't even fathom what you could gain from that. It took 6 wipes to get them used to the mechanics and each time somebody pointed something out they were like "Oh ok, my bad."

I mean they were nice enough, but why the fuck waste everyones time like that? It would have taken less time to just explain the fight than to wipe every time they were unfamiliar with something.

And this is the rub.

I think the community would be far more patient with less experienced players, if they were both honest about it, and very open and eager to learn. More often then not though, they'll either outright lie, or lie through omission. Then, if they are caught, they often just want to YOLO it and learn through trial and error.

Honestly I can kinda understand the desire to do it that way, seeing as that's how most people learned the fights, "when they were still new." However, months later, when there are ample resources and strategies for learning the fights more quickly, it doesn't make sense to do it this way.

On top of that, not everyone has hours and hours to pour into this game.

If you only have two hours to play on a given night, and it takes the better part of an hour to put a party together for Titan, Ifrit, or whatever, well, it's understandably frustrating when one or two people who joined the Clear or Farm party instead are instead clearly there to learn.

Despite that, I try to be patient with people, I certainly understand the desire to make progress in this game. Still, there's a certain lack of consideration with this sort of behavior, and it's understandable that the community would become frustrated with it over time.

zewone

And this is the rub.

I think the community would be far more patient with less experienced players, if they were both honest about it, and very open and eager to learn. More often then not though, they'll either outright lie, or lie through omission. Then, if they are caught, they often just want to YOLO it and learn through trial and error.

Honestly I can kinda understand the desire to do it that way, seeing as that's how most people learned the fights, "when they were still new." However, months later, when there are ample resources and strategies for learning the fights more quickly, it doesn't make sense to do it this way.

If you only have two hours to play on a given night, and it takes the better part of an hour to put a party together for Titan, Ifrit, or whatever, well, it's understandably frustrating when one or two people who joined the Clear or Farm party instead are instead clearly there to learn.

Despite that, I try to be patient with people, I certainly understand the desire to make progress in this game. Still, there's a certain lack of consideration with this sort of behavior, and it's understandable that the community would become frustrated with it over time.
A poster here says he doesn't like "spoiling" the fights by watching tutorial vids on how to pass.

His desire (and any person who feels the same) to have all the mechanics surprise them is worth more than any stranger's time.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
A poster here says he doesn't like "spoiling" the fights by watching tutorial vids on how to pass.

His desire (and any person who feels the same) to have all the mechanics surprise them is worth more than any stranger's time.

It's worth a votekick.

DeviantBoi

What's the demand for Marauders like when looking for groups?

I've always been a DPS class in other MMOs, but I'd like to try for tank this time.

Artorias

Banned
And this is the rub.

Yea, I understand the desire to see a fight before studying it, I just don't get how lying about watching a video can help you in any way. Clearly you are not making friends at that point, you're invested in pretending you already know the fight so you're not going to ask any questions.. it just keeps getting worse. We finally carried them through while they both laid dead on the ground, and now I feel guilty for enabling them to cripple the next group while claiming they've cleared it.

This is the first MMO i've played where people clearly want to be carried, even in endgame. Some of them will outright say they hope to be carried. Gear makes so little difference in this game, I can't imagine what they feel they are skipping ahead to.

Hey that's me!

I've finished the stuff needed for a high level roulette. Now I just need to do Brayflox for the expert roulette.

It's worth a votekick.

Hasn't happened yet. Fingers crossed.

This attitude really baffles me. This is not an offline game where you can play with your own pace. This is an MMO. You NEED others to get things done so be considerate and stop being a dick by wasting everybody's time. Everyone in a party wants to progress and they shouldn't have to care what affects your enjoyment. This is very common in MMO. If a person can't accept it, he/she should stick with offline rpg.

Ken

Feels fun being low level again

Kind of funny how something taken away from you makes you feel like the world is so large again

No choco + porting everywhere, sprinting to objectives, mobs aggroing you that have no business doing so, cause your used to your original character

Also for those who asked how you can tell PS3/PS4 users, see that Online ID: GRAVEROBBERX on the bottom right hand side, that's how
You can pick up on who is running on alt's that way too

you're still going through with your double progression thing?

Remember to level your Archer to 34 for Quelling Strikes, otherwise your static might make you wear the "Hat of Shame" until you do.

BLMShame.jpg

I know from personal experience...

ib0dGTgJ2RZecg.png

Ugh hurts to discover an unspoiled node and then realize your gathering is nowhere close enough to gather even NQ ones. It's kinda fun discovering them...but I really need to meld some more materia into my gear.

Artorias

Banned
I'm really trying to avoid doing the Atma grind, but they just gave me one while doing my daily beast quests. Damnit guys. I don't even have enough inventory slots to do this quest!

WolvenOne

What's the demand for Marauders like when looking for groups?

I've always been a DPS class in other MMOs, but I'd like to try for tank this time.

Both Tank classes as in fairy high demand in this game. Warriors, or Marauders as they're called earlier on, are better off tankers, having higher HP, better AoE enmity capabilities, and a slightly higher DPS cieling than PLD's.

PLD's make better main tanks, as they have higher defense, and a larger number of defensive Cooldowns.

If you play either class well, you'll pretty much have no shortage of parties, and will almost always have instant queues for signing into content. If you don't play well though...

...well, suffice to say, because Tanks are in a position of relatively greater responsibility within a party, failure can get a lot of flame directed your way.

WolvenOne

On the subject of Tanking.

Still hopeful that Holmgang is going to get a buff, specifically, limited ability to move, increased duration, and a hefty Defense Buff on top of the HP cannot go below zero, effect.

If possible I'd appreciate small buffs to other WAR CD's as well. We have fewer of them, so it'd be nice if they actually did some more substantial damage mitigation. I mean, yeah I know, we can use Inner Beast a ton, but it's not always ready when you see a cast bar going, and if you try to time it ahead of the cast-bar you risk it falling off before the attack hits.

Would be nice to have something else to fall back on, that actually did some good.

Ken

I mean, yeah I know, we can use Inner Beast a ton, but it's not always ready when you see a cast bar going, and if you try to time it ahead of the cast-bar you risk it falling off before the attack hits.

idunno, have you ever thought that good stacks management and timely inner beasts might be what separates good wars from bad wars

If your main class is DPS, you should always cross-class whatever available skills that can buff your damage.

how do i cross-class with you

WolvenOne

idunno, have you ever thought that good stacks management and timely inner beasts might be what separates good wars from bad wars.

On fights I'm well used to, like Titan EM, I can hit all the big attacks with my eyes closed practically. When I'm still learning a fight, not so much. Knowing roughly how long the gap is between big attacks is something you only gain with experience.

Besides, I'm thinking of something along the lines of increasing the Damage Mitigation on Foresight from 5% to 10%. Yes I know, it says a 20% boost to Defense, but as of ilvl90 that didn't amount to much, maybe it'll scale differently as a approach ilvl110 though.

Edit: Also, while I could use the Instant-Full-Stacks CD, by the time you see the Cast Bar, and get through the animation for both moves, usually it'll be way too late.

Ken

On fights I'm well used to, like Titan EM, I can hit all the big attacks with my eyes closed practically. When I'm still learning a fight, not so much. Knowing roughly how long the gap is between big attacks is something you only gain with experience.

so you want class buffs to make up for a player's lack of experience?

WolvenOne

so you want class buffs to make up for a player's lack of experience?

Heh, Iiiiii see what you're doing.

Look, we both know full well, that when you're learning a new encounter, it doesn't matter how experienced you are. The timing and rotations are different for each encounter.

That's not a lack of experience, that's the learning process.

Besides, going from 5 to 10% damage mitigation on one single CD, is a pretty subtle buff.

Isaccard

Look, we both know full well, that when you're learning a new encounter, it doesn't matter how experienced you are. The timing and rotations are different for each encounter.

Besides, going from 5 to 10% damage mitigation on one single CD, is a pretty subtle buff.

Just stick to your old blog style posts, easier to ignore and you wont draw as much negative attention to yourself

WolvenOne

Hey, I'm not the first person to wistfully fantasize about the devs tweaking one or two things about their preferred class, and I'm not going to be the last. And I most certainly am not going to be the last person to grumble about Holmgang and Foresight having limited utility. Not during this patch anyway.

Anyhow, only reason I bring this up, is because the devs recently stated that BLM's might not be the only class to get a buff. I'm certain that almost everyone has at least one thing, about one class or another, that they'd like to see tweaked.

Ken

Let me get this straight: you're asking for class buffs to smooth out the learning curve of a fight, because timing one of the WAR's core skills is too hard to learn... while learning the fight?

Teknoman

There is a difference in wanting to have a fresh fight and learn from players plus battle experience, or just being fake about it, and not letting your party know whats up.

Im not sure why people are scared to communicate with fellow party members. They need to watch .hack or something lol.

Sure you might run into some asses here and there, but thats life.

At any rate, some people learn by watching, some only learn by doing.

WolvenOne

Let me get this straight: you're asking for class buffs to smooth out the learning curve of a fight, because timing one of the WAR's core skills is too hard to learn... while learning the fight?

Nope, and I'd thank you to stop putting words in my mouth.

I'm just saying that it'd be nice if one of the fallback CD's mitigated more than 50 HP out of every 1000 dealt. It's certainly not make or break, since I usually hold Vengeance in reserve for these occasions, but it'd be nice to actually, "notice," the reduction in damage when I do use Foresight.

Isaccard

Maple logged in thank god

I'm just saying that it'd be nice if one of the fallback CD's mitigated more than 50 HP out of every 1000 dealt. It's certainly not make or break, since I usually hold Vengeance in reserve for these occasions, but it'd be nice to actually, "notice," the reduction in damage when I do use Foresight.

Press C on your keyboard -> Look at your defense -> use Foresight -> Look at your defense again

Just switch to Paladin we all know its the superior class anyway :)

Ken

Your intitial argument was that you wanted slightly stronger cooldowns to make up for the difficulty of timing Inner Beasts properly, wasn't it?

If possible I'd appreciate small buffs to other WAR CD's as well. We have fewer of them, so it'd be nice if they actually did some more substantial damage mitigation. I mean, yeah I know, we can use Inner Beast a ton, but it's not always ready when you see a cast bar going, and if you try to time it ahead of the cast-bar you risk it falling off before the attack hits.

Would be nice to have something else to fall back on, that actually did some good.

If you want a tank with actual emergency cooldowns, play a Paladin.

WolvenOne

Your intitial argument was that you wanted slightly stronger cooldowns to make up for the difficulty of timing Inner Beasts properly, wasn't it?

Half right, you'd have to learn the proper timing of Inner Beast either way, since another 5% mitigation on Foresight would still be pretty iffy in comparison to IB's 20% Damage mitigation.

Just saying, it'd be nice.

Pretty addicted to this now, just got my chocobo ^_^

I was pretty nervous about screwing up on the Ifrit battle, as I've been shouted at for being a bad tank a few times already and I gather it's the first 'real' boss fight, but I did OK I think - kept Ifrit's attention away from the casters and managed to hold out, in spite of our healer getting KO'd by the targeted AoE attack, and died just as Ifrit did, which was lucky.

Ken

Half right, you'd have to learn the proper timing of Inner Beast either way

So what's the point of the buffs then? I don't mean to come off as antagonistic, but I haven't really heard clamorings for WAR buffs since their rework aside from you.

Like you said, buffing Foresight's value by another 5% or so is pretty negligible. It sounds like you want buffs just for the sake of having buffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom