• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

I91 will be fine as long as your accuracy is around the 490s.

Don't hinder your tank to be the extra DPS.

Well I've got about all the Soldiery pieces that're worth owning for now. So while I'm certainly not going to consider buying something for my DRG until our group clears T7, I figure that I should be open to purchasing at least one piece, so long as it doesn't heavily delay acquiring the Tomes I need for my Tank weapon.

More though, I'm thinking along the lines of, 2.1 BiS items, crafted pieces, or whether it's really worth farming the iLvl95 Levi weapon, seeing as I already have the T5 Spear.

My basic rotation seems solid enough, though I really do need to install ACT sometime. However I tend to take too much time to get into optimal positioning and such. I really need to learn how to use that leap move and such, to whittle back my downtime.

Edit: Also, we'll probably try the fight once or twice with everyone going as their main class, just to be certain we aren't already capable of clearing the DPS check. Since a large portion of our group is sporting Animus weapons, it actually is possible. >_>;;

BlackJace

This might help in the meantime.

lkRqrYs.png

Thanks. Hm, it seems I havent unlocked Maws yet.

iammeiam

Another stupid question that I cannot find an up to date answer. I read a lot of groups will drop players in AF armor in Crystal Tower, is this still the case?

I did not have that issue when I ran it a bunch a couple weeks ago, and most of my gear at that point was AF. I think I had the myth belt, my relic+1 (might just have been the Titan HM weapon) and then AF gear and shit jewelry. CT is weird enough/troll-filled enough that I could see this happening in the odd group, but I saw basically no gear-based kicking in my runs. 24 people is a lot; as long as you can stand on your pad at the right time and generally keep up with mechanics your gear won't put you at the top of anybody's kick list.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Well I've got about all the Soldiery pieces that're worth owning for now. So while I'm certainly not going to consider buying something for my DRG until our group clears T7, I figure that I should be open to purchasing at least one piece, so long as it doesn't heavily delay acquiring the Tomes I need for my Tank weapon.

More though, I thinking along the lines of, 2.1 BiS items, crafted pieces, or whether it's really worth farming the iLvl95 Levi weapon, seeing as I already have the T5 Spear.

My basic rotation seems solid enough, though I really do need to install ACT sometime. However I tend to take too much time to get into optimal positioning and such. I really need to learn how to use that leap move and such, to whittle back my downtime.

The i95 allegan spear is stronger than Leviathan weapon if you have the accuracy.
If you can afford the accuracy, the best pieces to buy are probably the pants or gloves (i'm not near my spreadsheet at the moment so I am just going off memory, but I can confirm which pieces are better on mumble later)

In T8, the only move I save is spineshatter to get back after running to trigger a tower. The cooldown matches up perfectly with every other tower phase.

Another important thing I see DRGs do is move too much. When you move you are cancelling your auto attack which will lower your dps. I often plan out which debuff will need refreshing first and position accordingly to the flank or rear.

Also, don't waste gil on crafted items. You are the extra dps and the rest of the DPS on your team are the ones that need to pick up their A game. Generally you shouldn't have any DPS below 300 and team DPS needs to be roughly 1,650 to beat enrage.

More though, I'm thinking along the lines of, 2.1 BiS items, crafted pieces, or whether it's really worth farming the iLvl95 Levi weapon, seeing as I already have the T5 Spear.

Since you main WAR maybe you could help me out with the order I should buy stuff with my myth and soldiery tomes.

I bought the myth body piece, belt and earring (the belt and earring I had were really low level). I'm closing on 300 soldiery tomes, so I'd like to know what should be the first thing I should buy. Google hasn't helped me at all with this.

Also I haven't upgraded my relic yet, since I figured upgrading my AF armor should be a priority. The only thing I've gotten from dungeons are a lvl 70 chocker and lvl 60 head piece.

What should my upgrade path look like?

Jayhawk

Being able to falsify links is dumb.

This subject made me curious to see if you could link items on guildwork posts. You can using the item tag like below. I guess I can list drops in my static's thread.

Code:
[item game=ffxiv]Rosenbogen[/item]

br3wnor

Gonna be diving in for the first time tonight. Anything in particular that's useful to know when I first start out? Played a good amount of MMOs so should know what I'm doing fairly quickly

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Gonna be diving in for the first time tonight. Anything in particular that's useful to know when I first start out? Played a good amount of MMOs so should know what I'm doing fairly quickly

Have fun, do story quests, and try not to be too harsh until you get into dungeons post lvl15.

WolvenOne

Since you main WAR maybe you could help me out with the order I should buy stuff with my myth and soldiery tomes.

I bought the myth body piece, belt and earring (the belt and earring I had were really low level). I'm closing on 300 soldiery tomes, so I'd like to know what should be the first thing I should buy. Google hasn't helped me at all with this.

Also I haven't upgraded my relic yet, since I figured upgrading my AF armor should be a priority. The only thing I've gotten from dungeons are a lvl 70 chocker and lvl 60 head piece.

What should my upgrade path look like?

Well, if you're taking your WAR into second Coil, your main goal is going to be keeping your accuracy above or near 500, without sacrificing too much on any additional stat.

So what you end up buying first can vary a bit, depending on what gear your WAR is currently wielding, what main weapon you're using, what your accessories are, etc etc, and so on and so forth.

However, the Noct Lorica (Soldiery Chest Tank piece,) is usually a no brainer, regardless of what other gear you're using. There are two reasons for this, the first being that it's an extremely solid piece in terms of stats, and second, because the Second Coil Tank piece doesn't drop until T9 anyway.

After that, the Noct Ring is the other no brainer. Seeing as you need two rings, and it's one of the only two ilvl100/110 Rings available in the game so far.

I might also suggest using HQ Finger Sandwiches, if you're taking your Tank into Second Coil, or T5. Not only does it give you a decent boost to vit and accuracy, but it gives you a large chunk of additional parry to work with.

Edit: Also, as a basic rule of thumb, in terms of taking damage well, these are your most important stats.

Base Defense -> Vitality ------->Parry-----------> Determination.

If a new piece has lower, or even no parry in comparison to a current piece, but has higher vit and base defense, you're almost certainly going to be better off with the new piece.

Wazzy

Banned
Best similarity I can give is.....it's broken beyond belief. All that is currently in the game is arena style pvp which most of the time is just zerg the healer or caster. Frontlines is coming in 2.3(3-4 weeks most likely) and it will be more like WoWs battlegrounds from what little they have said, beyond that though it will still most likely be broken but possibly a little less since 2.3 is getting some balance changes.

Hmm well I hope the battlegrounds style introduction(if it even ends up like it) will be good. I'm new to the game so I obviously don't have to worry much right now but PVP was such a fun aspect that I'm hoping it will get better in this.

Thanks!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
How / when do you unlock the ability to collect tomes? I want to make sure when Hunts are released that I'm at least stacking up some myth (?) tomes for when I get around to upgrading my endgame weaponry.

SkyOdin

And this is how Sugarloaf Hats should be used...

Yeah, when I used a Sugerloaf hat when leveling up Thaumaturge, I dyed it red and a matching robe purple to get time mage colors too.

I'm pretty sure Time Mage will eventually be added as a Job, but I'm not certain if it will be a Thaumaturge Job or a Job for a brand new Disciple of Magic class. I can see them adding Astrologer as a new class one day...

EDIT:
How / when do you unlock the ability to collect tomes? I want to make sure when Hunts are released that I'm at least stacking up some myth (?) tomes for when I get around to upgrading my endgame weaponry.
There is no need to unlock the ability to gain tomestones. You need to be level 50 to get them from the Duty Roulette, but other than that, if you can do the content, you can collect tomestones. They should start dropping automatically starting in the higher-level dungeons and from the Beastman daily quests.

IvorB

Really enjoying my time with the game, especially running dungeons with GAF, hunting logs and taking in the art & music but I'm not sure I'm gonna resub a 4th month. I'm at 48 now, so I think I'll wrap up the main quests & Hildebrand quests before my sub runs out.

Player housing & triple triad would bring me back, so we'll see.

That's a shame, dude. You don't even want to taste this end game stuff everybody goes on about?

iammeiam

Have fun, do story quests, and try not to be too harsh until you get into dungeons post lvl15.

To add to this, basically no decision you make for your character will be irreversible. Class switching is easy and intended and available early, you race has no real impact on class viability, and if you stick around past 30 days you get a Fantasia potion with your first paid month so you can redo your race/gender/appearance at will (and go Lala, since Lala is best.)

But, yeah, early game is sloooow.

creid

I don't think you ever specifically unlock it, but off the top of my head the earliest point you can start getting them is level ~41-42 from the daily beastman quests. You can't get them from daily roulettes until you get to level 50.

Well, if you're taking your WAR into second Coil, your main goal is going to be keeping your accuracy above or near 500, without sacrificing too much on any additional stat.

So what you end up buying first can vary a bit, depending on what gear your WAR is currently wielding, what main weapon you're using, what your accessories are, etc etc, and so on and so forth.

However, the Noct Lorica (Soldiery Chest Tank piece,) is usually a no brainer, regardless of what other gear you're using. There are two reasons for this, the first being that it's an extremely solid piece in terms of stats, and second, because the Second Coil Tank piece doesn't drop until T9 anyway.

After that, the Noct Ring is the other no brainer. Seeing as you need two rings, and it's one of the only two ilvl100/110 Rings available in the game so far.

I might also suggest using HQ Finger Sandwiches, if you're taking your Tank into Second Coil, or T5. Not only does it give you a decent boost to vit and accuracy, but it gives you a large chunk of additional parry to work with.

Edit: Also, as a basic rule of thumb, in terms of taking damage well, these are your most important stats.

If a new piece has lower, or even no parry in comparison to a current piece, but has higher vit and base defense, you're almost certainly going to be better off with the new piece.

Thanks man. Kinda regretting my purchase of the myth body piece now, but people here said I should go for that. I should probably have gotten the pants instead.

Then again it's gonna be a few weeks until I get the 800 something tomes in need for the body. So maybe by then I'll have all the myth pieces.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
That's a shame, dude. You don't even want to taste this end game stuff everybody goes on about?

I have 3 more weeks subbed, so I'll be able to try it out a bit. I'm so torn - I really like the game but without personal housing, the reward loop is starting to feel hollow to me.

Summer's here and I want to focus on working out, exploring the city with my girl & my friends... just doing more shit in general.

EDIT:There is no need to unlock the ability to gain tomestones. You need to be level 50 to get them from the Duty Roulette, but other than that, if you can do the content, you can collect tomestones. They should start dropping automatically starting in the higher-level dungeons and from the Beastman daily quests.

I don't think you ever specifically unlock it, but off the top of my head the earliest point you can start getting them is level ~41-42 from the daily beastman quests. You can't get them from daily roulettes until you get to level 50.

awesome, thanks!

Thanks man. Kinda regretting my purchase of the myth body piece now, but people here said I should go for that. I should probably have gotten the pants instead.

Then again it's gonna be a few weeks until I get the 800 something tomes in need for the body. So maybe by then I'll have all the myth pieces.

Myth is unlimited farm, do all the Brayflox and Coil farms you can handle and you'll be full i90 in a day with a mix of Myth and Allagan pieces. You will need the Allagan Axe or Wave Axe so farm those ASAP. The Wave Axe doesn't have ACC, the Allagan Axe does. Plan your build accordingly, the ACC cap for tanks is 492-495 for T6/7 and 502-505 for T8 and 515-517 for T9.

The WAR myth chest and pants were both BiS until Coil 2. Nothing wrong with having those until you get the Noct chest and pants which are also tank BiS.

So I started playing this game (on PC) yesterday for the first time. I've never really been into MMOs but so far I've been enjoying the game a lot. Currently a Lv. 15 Pugilist, mostly been doing quests although I have done some other stuff on the side, like learning how to weave. Really liking it so far.

You know you're too aggressive at leveling the craft when you run out of shards. I just learnt that yesterday after grinding Linen Yarn craft and suddenly it stopped because I ran out of lightning shard and that thing costs like 99g a pop. Are you fucking serious?? lol Look like I have to go do something else for a while.

Dunan

You know you're too aggressive at leveling the craft when you run out of shards. I just learnt that yesterday after grinding Linen Yarn craft and suddenly it stopped because I ran out of lightning shard and that thing costs like 99g a pop. Are you fucking serious?? lol Look like I have to go do something else for a while.

I ran out of wind shards multiple times, because I basically leveled only the Goldsmith and not the other crafters who would use non-wind shards, and bought them regularly on the market for about 30-35 gil apiece in blocks of 1000.

The run-up to L50 as a Goldsmith was thus a big money sink until I finally started selling off the items I made in the L40-50 range. That put me in the black even after all the shard expenses.

The non-combat classes seem to work in tandem -- one kind of shard for GSM, another for LTW, etc., with the miner class putting new shards and raw metal into your inventory. If you're willing to take it slow and level them a little at a time while switching often, you'll probably come out way ahead money-wise.

I wonder what Yoshi is feeling right now. The stories say that he was a big DaoC player back in the day. Now he's the Director/Producer of his own big MMO. RIP Mythic

BadRNG

Not disagree with the stat order here necessarily, but I do want to clarify/point out that det won't help you tank damage. It is probably the best overall "damage" stat for tanks, but those don't matter at all unless you are OTing a fight where you spend a lot of time not actually tanking.

Just wanted to mention it because I still see that myth posted about sometimes about det somehow affecting healing received due to poor wording on the stat. This is not the case, and don't want any new people thinking it is.

Tried to resub, would not let me change my password because their one time password is described as like 3 different things lol. Its either the numbers you get from the app/token, a made up thing, or something I made a year ago and cant remember. Heck if I know which because I tried all three and keep getting flagged as wrong.

Oh well, glad to see square enix's account system is still a cluster fuck... though not as bad as 11 still.

Ken

Tried to resub, would not let me change my password because their one time password is described as like 3 different things lol. Its either the numbers you get from the app/token, a made up thing, or something I made a year ago and cant remember. Heck if I know which because I tried all three and keep getting flagged as wrong.

Oh well, glad to see square enix's account system is still a cluster fuck... though not as bad as 11 still.

it's the one from app/token. if you never set one just leave it blank.

it's the one from app/token. if you never set one just leave it blank.

I did, used it when I was subbed last. Thats why I'm so freaking confused lol. Keeps asking for a onetime password no matter what. Anyway been locked out for "minutes" eventhough its been an hour lol.

#yayshiva

aceface

For Shiva, won't they have to introduce a new beast tribe? And will that mean a new area? ishgard focused?

Unless there's an existing beast tribe I'm forgetting. I guess the goblins could summon her. That would be silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom