• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesharey

I think we can safely rule out the Gigas as the beastmen for Shiva. All of the major beast-tribes use En- spells of their associated element to boost their attacks: Amala'ja use Enfire, Ixali use Enareo, and so on. There is no monster type in the game that uses Enice. Though I'm not entirely certain if Kobolds use Enearth or not...

Crystal Tower isn't too demanding on an individual basis, so long as the rest of your team is decently geared. I remember running it for the first time while still using mostly Artifact armor. However, you certainly should stick to OTing when possible, and stay far away from MTing the major bosses.

The real tricky part of CT isn't in having good enough gear, it is knowing what to do and what not to do. It is entirely possible for an errant tank to wipe the entire raid with a single mistake. Don't take this is me trying to pressure you, just remember to ask lots of questions in party or alliance chat. Be sure to communicate. In most of the fights you have a very specific job required of you. As long as you know what that is, you will do okay, even with ilvl 57 gear. Just don't let people volunteer you for IG duty. Somehow that ended up on my lap the very first time I tackled CT. It didn't work out.

Just to warn you though, CT has gotten a lot more hectic in 2.2 than it was in 2.1. CT runs were a well-oiled machine a month or two into 2.1, but I think all those people who mastered it have moved on to newer content. Ever since, CT runs have become messier, as a larger percentage of players attempting it are new to it.
Thanks a lot, I'll be the OT, the main tank will have il 95, one of the DPS's will have il 95 too, might call some members of the free company who has good gear & info.
I'll try to do it today. :3

Teknoman

Get a room, guys.

They can't get a room until 2.3

ibsERL5l4ZLOZX.gif

Alucrid

Banned
clearly pel/raij/whoeverelsepvps needs to form a group and join pvp night. it'll be like win trading except they'll win every time

br3wnor

Played for a solid 3 hours last night, rolled a Gladiator (big dude race) and got to level 10. Playing on ps3 so graphics aren't awesome but the style is beautiful and load times aren't too bad so definitely enjoyable.

Nice quest variety so far, typical lowbie MMO fetch/kill quests but I absolutely LOVE that if you need 4 hides or whatever, you only have to kill 4 mobs, there's no % drop going on. The hunting list seems really cool, gives me incentive to kill every type of mob in an area. World zones are definitely on the small side so far but that's lot a real issue for me, enjoy the fast travel.

The music, oh man the music is wonderful. The atmosphere in general is really appealing to me, it's a very serene chill type of world that feels uniquely "different" from any MMO I've played to date. I'm definitely enjoying it's JRPG flair and it's a nice switch up from my WOW and SWTOR days.

Using the ps3 controller is not without growing pains, but all in all it's very slick and not too much of a hassle. Being able to play laying in my bed trumps any control issues. Look forward to playing more and really sink my teeth into the game but initial impressions are very good.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
shard prices are up to 100g on my server. have RMT found a better money source?

The prices are see-sawing up and down drastically on Ultros

I mean it's crazy the amount you need for bulk synthing
Just to make like 2 stacks of Buttons in a Blanket, you need roughly 1200 fire shards and 1000 water shards, that's equivalent by today's prices around 180,000-200,000 gil just on shards
They should let players have options to use which type to use during a synth
Like buttons is 6 and 5 for fire and water shards, or you can use 3 and 2 as crystals or 2 fire and 1 water cluster if you want to burn those

Cooking is the most brutal when it comes to chewing shards

Raijinken

why_would_you_do_pvp.jpg

GAF PvP Saturday Night Fights

Date: Saturday, May 31st
Time: 3 PM Pacific/6 PM Eastern
Who: You, baka
What: Your face, getting wrecked
Where: Ultros
Why: Reasons

General Information:

So this will be my first attempt at organizing anything larger than a group of 8 people showing up at the same time every week to wipe in Coil. It's going to be bad. I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. The world might end in a zombie apocalypse. Deal with it.

The goal of GAF PvP Nights is to get a bunch of Gaffers who would otherwise not PvP to be able to do so in a fun environment where everyone is rank nothing except our several PvP veterans and all gear is the same to remove the crazy effect of gear weighting in this game's PvP. We can form up into groups, wreck each others' faces, talk some trash, and generally have a good time. There's a side benefit of having instant queues and a steady stream of PVP XP and Wolf Marks for all participants, which will certainly help everyone get some kind of baseline gearing for the upcoming Frontlines.

Rules of the Zerg:

Gear: In order to enforce some kind of gear normalization, everyone who participates must be wearing Full AF1, the set which you got for leveling your job to 50. Your weapon must be PvE i90 or i95, this means you will be allowed to have Primal EX (Primal Focus), Levi EX, Allagan, or Relic Zenith or non-upgraded Relic Atma. i100+ weapons are no bueno, so stop trying to show off and put your Liberator away. At this time I have no idea how quick matches will be with this gear loadout, gear requirements are therefore subject to change in the future events. No PvP-specific gear will be allowed, period.

Skills: Unfortunately at this moment you have to rank up to buy PvP-specific skills. That will change in patch 2.28 when all skills will be unlocked by default. For this reason our PvP veterans, and by that I mean Mupod, Felix, Raijinken, and Pellegri, will be distributed among the various teams in as even a manner as possible. There will be no restrictions on using PvP-specific skills, so if you have them, use them until the other team has died.

Teams: PvP is currently a 4v4 Arena affair in the Wolves' Den. We will divide the players who arrive into teams of 4, queue the 4v4 50 cap tier in The Foreign (German, French, or Japanese), and proceed to beat the living hell out of each other. Depending on which teams are winning regularly, I hope to rebalance the teams regularly so everyone gets a chance to taste the orgasmic pleasure of gloriously bursting victory in your mouth. There is a chance that we will queue into a fight with wintraders in this tier, if that happens just wreck them quickly since they'll probably be naked wearing no gear and get the hell out of there so we can try to queue up again. Unfortunately if a number of players not equal to a multiple of 4 shows up, we will have to do rotation of players in and out so everyone gets a chance to play. I'll probably be bad at this, so please only show up in a multiple of 4 so as to make my life easier. Teehee.

Organization: There will be a calendar entry on Guildwork and a signup sheet so you can sign up. Feel free to sign up, or don't and just show up when you want. The general targeted start time will be as seen above, but you can drop in and out whenever you are free or not free. We'll just rotate people in and out of teams as needed, for as long as we have at least 8 people which is the minimum necessary for 4v4.

Signup Sheet:
http://neogaf.guildwork.com/schedule#!events/5387ee6b002aa87f93dcd008

TL;DR: The first GAF PvP Night will be this Saturday, 3 PM Pacific/6 PM Eastern. Be there or no smashed faces for you.

I should get home by 7 PM so I hope I don't miss out on too much.

WolvenOne

Okay, I've been quietly thinking that we'd see some sort of teaser trailer for the first Expansion at the E3 liveletter, but, I'm starting to think I should temper my expectations back a bit. Even a 30 second pure CG teaser might be a bit much to ask for, especially since they don't want to spoil too much of the intervening story between now and the expansion.

Also, thinking about Alts again. Probably won't be making an Alt just yet, but, I'm considering making one for one of the classes I'm less eager to level. Then at least I'll at least have the main storyline to keep me occupied while leveling.

Honestly I'm partly just interested in it, so I can make a character named Okidoki Dono.

They can show classes/zones without spoiling too much about the actual story. If people didn't know we were going to Ishgard or Ala Mhigo then there's not really any helping it since people have wanted to go there since 1.0
and the current story highly suggests both of them

As was said on the forums, the primary focus of what they are doing on the 10th is a big q&a. I would expect the expac announcement to be shown at the end of that just showing off what I said above and then them talking about it for 10mins or so as to not get into too much when they'll have multiple live letters talking about it before it comes out.

WolvenOne

They can show classes/zones without spoiling too much about the actual story. If people didn't know we were going to Ishgard or Ala Mhigo then there's not really any helping it since people have wanted to go there since 1.0
and the current story highly suggests both of them

As was said on the forums, the primary focus of what they are doing on the 10th is a big q&a. I would expect the expac announcement to be shown at the end of that just showing off what I said above and then them talking about it for 10mins or so as to not get into too much when they'll have multiple live letters talking about it before it comes out.

Yeah, but SE trailers tend to be story centric, so I would expect even a teaser to be somewhat story centric, to the extent of at least touching on some of the over-riding themes of 3.0 (or whatever.)

Still, you're right. Just because Square tends to favor trailers about story, over trailers about features, doesn't mean they couldn't make a teaser about general features, and showcase new zones or whatnot.

Vinneh

Banned
Just transferred from EU server to get into GAF!
What a completely different economy! Cashmere is 1million whereas savage aim materia IV is 100k! :)

Had a terrible run in Castrum.

The other tank (who had better gear than me) was making no indication that he would be leading, so I took charge. All is well until the first boss. I assumed since I had been leading so far that I would continue to be the MT - but he uses provoke once I have hate and then steals the boss, making the party why we are both trying to MT. So I cease tanking the boss and focus on the adds that spawn - and during this he somehow loses hate and the incredibly easy fight turns into a huge mess.

At the part where you pull trash mobs to the missiles to be destroyed, I would go and Shield Lob a monster to grab it / the group. He'd come, and shield lob one of the monsters from that group instead of going to get another group, making it take a lot longer.

In the fight against the female boss when she is riding magitek, whenever people used missiles and took the aggro, they were running around panicking instead of just standing in the middle, so people couldn't reliably aim.

In the final fight where she is grounded, he couldn't hold hate at all and I had to do it, and then I also had to tank the collosus that spawns because he wouldn't.

The way I'm writing it makes me sound like a hero but I was fucking up throughout all this as well and was struggling to keep bosses still. I think I need to work on my initial rotation.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Jesus Fuck doing 15 Bray HM SR's back to back, takes a toll on your sanity
Made around 250K off Tawny Latex's (8 of them) and 10,000 in seals from trading in 13 items to ease the pain

After 10+ shit is just a blur of Overpower R' Us and dead Raptors/Couerls/Goblins left in a wake of death

WolvenOne

Jesus Fuck doing 15 Bray HM SR's back to back, takes a toll on your sanity
Made around 250K off Tawny Latex's (8 of them) and 10,000 in seals from trading in 13 items to ease the pain

After 10+ shit is just a blur of Overpower R' Us and dead Raptors/Couerls/Goblins left in a wake of death

I managed to keep my sanity by telling myself that it'd be good snap aggro and CD management practice. Which is true, I was a heck of a lot more comfortable rushing through dungeons after so many Bray HM's.

Still, yeah, definitely not going gung-ho on another Animus until they increase the Drop Rate for Myth Tomes. I don't need an ilvl100 weapon for my DRG THAT badly.

Besides, there's no way it'd be ready by the time my Static reached T8, and that's the only real use I'd have for it, in the short term.

MogCakes

I leave the GAF FC to found one with my friends, and our healer gets into a car wreck. Such is my luck.

Wonder how long it'll be until we can afford a house.

I think completing Turn 4 once is more than enough for me. Wait time is unbearable; only two people (me and a tank) are usually focusing on the 2nd dreadnought when it pops up and that's not enough when you have a minute before the next wave shows up. Unless the drops include ilvl 90 accessories, I see no reason to go back since only my body/leg pieces and accessory pieces are below ilvl 90

WolvenOne

I'd try to jump in at the last minute, but, I'm about to head out to see Godzilla. Hopefully I'll be able to catch the last one, assuming that there is enough interest for another one.

WolvenOne

I think completing Turn 4 once is more than enough for me. Wait time is unbearable; only two people (me and a tank) are usually focusing on the 2nd dreadnought when it pops up and that's not enough when you have a minute before the next wave shows up. Unless the drops include ilvl 90 accessories, I see no reason to go back since only my body/leg pieces and accessory pieces are below ilvl 90

Nobody ever finishes with turn 4, nobody. XD

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Oh man, after five nights I finally have a Twintania clear.
Our group is the clutchiest group, we keep killing things with like one person left alive.

MogCakes

...Sounds like the healer has much worse luck than you do. I hope s/he is okay.

She's alright. She'll be back online within the week, and given she'll be stuck at home for a while she'll have plenty of time to play XIV, heh.

Is this the same one you made a thread for in OT?

Yep. She's since had surgery and is beginning physical rehab. Luckily the fractures to her spine/neck are small, she should have a full recovery. She'll never pass airport security without the metal detector going off though.

WolvenOne

Yes, myth rate is increasing later next week.

Other news, helping my friend get the WHM relic...game is so much more fun when you play with friends, I was starting to fear burnout...><

Yeah, you pretty much, "have" to play with friends after awhile. Pugs are convenient, but, they just don't compare.

Next time I'll have to get in on this PvP fun, was busy between work and helping my friend with the WHM relic. Just how many bodies were sacrificed to the thrones of Mupod, Rai and Felix?

Raijinken

I'm glad so many people came out for PvP night today. I hope we can have another one sometime soon with PvP abilities being unlocked next week! Perhaps Maple Cookie will be able to participate then.

Ken

I'm glad so many people came out for PvP night today. I hope we can have another one sometime soon with PvP abilities being unlocked next week! Perhaps Maple Cookie will be able to participate then.

your avatar is really bad

you should ask tiggerkiddo for some tips

Thanks to everyone who turned out for GAF PvP! We had 5 full groups going at it for awhile there!

Patch 2.28 unlocks all PvP skills and Saturday Night Fights will resume on Saturday, June 7th!

When can we realistically expect an increase to the Atma drops? I'm sure you're all tired of hearing me bitch about Atma on FC chat. I'm still at 3/12 after a month of farming. ;__;

When can we realistically expect an increase to the Atma drops? I'm sure you're all tired of hearing me bitch about Atma on FC chat. I'm still at 3/12 after a month of farming. ;__;

"After an ilvl increase" is what they said....."but not for 2.3 or before", because obviously going from ilvl 100 to what I would assume would be 115 in 2.3 isn't an "ilvl increase". It may change for 2.3 because right after they announced that, the forums exploded. So still no chance of it being done next week but maybe 2.3 can still have fixes done to it before going live in 3 - 3 1/2 weeks.

No.

Be reasonable with farming it. If you aren't doing Second Coil, I don't see why one should burn themselves out on it. Go craft instead. Less chat yelling. If you must do it, keep it to like 30-45 minutes a day, if that.

How far can a player get with a random playtime and no static parties? Mostly just PUGs and random GAF parties? I'm scared that that wall is sooner than I think and I can't really devote a set schedule because of work.

Ken

How far can a player get with a random playtime and no static parties? Mostly just PUGs and random GAF parties? I'm scared that that wall is sooner than I think and I can't really devote a set schedule because of work.

T9 far

Kenai

For the main story and crafting and leveling and stuff you can definitely do all that by yourself on your own time since most of it is tied into fairly easy (with practice) to complete DF queues and the like, and gathering/crafting can be done totally solo if you so desire (or much quicker if you feel like spending money on the AH).

You should be able to at least do up through T5 regarding endgame, although it probably won't be a breeze or anything. HM/EX Primals can be super tough without a premade group but are ran occasionally to help new players through, and there's random (rare) success stories from the DF too. Basically only the very current raid content of whatever patch it is (so Second Coil for now) need a static to dedicate yourself to to realistically finish.

Mupod

It was surprisingly fun and I made a ton of progress, which made up for the last few days of horrible queues. We also leveled up some people without having to resort to scummy wintrading - it was nice watching them get better by practicing, not by gearing up or getting more abilities. Of course that meant I couldn't pull any punches and I played as hard as I always do.

The next one should have fewer balance issues since everyone will have access to all abilities. I still think experience matters the most, but it'll level the playing field a little. It'll be easier for us to switch classes accordingly too.

Aeana

Most solo heal anything I've been in had a scholar. Seems to be the more logical choice given their abilities.
Many people I've encountered just assume scholar can't solo heal stuff because their "AoE healing is too weak." The job's abilities are just widely misunderstood. The reactions I got when I talked about solo healing Leviathan Extreme, for instance, were usually initially disbelief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom