• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamdeo

For Shiva, won't they have to introduce a new beast tribe? And will that mean a new area? ishgard focused?

Unless there's an existing beast tribe I'm forgetting. I guess the goblins could summon her. That would be silly.

We assume there will be a new beast tribe associated with her, but none have been hinted yet. People seem to think its the Gigas, but I can't find any information to corroborate it other than a vague association in Final Fantasy XI. That and they seem to be related more to the Crystal Tower storyline as they view Silvertear Falls and the Crystal Tower as some sort of holy land.

It's quite possible Coerthas could be expanded, since the area we're in now is only the "central" area of what used to be a size similar to the Black Shroud/Thanalan/La Noscea.

aceface

So because of the incompetence of Digital River I received (and paid for) two copies of the FFXIV:ARR soundtrack. I'd rather not have to deal with them again trying to return it so I figured I would throw it up here and see if anyone wanted to buy my extra one. It's still sealed and should have the code for the wind up Bahamut minion inside. Looking for $50 (via paypal) shipped in the US. I'll ship international but you'll have to pay a bit more for shipping. If you want it PM me, first come first served.

FKk9eIq.jpg

By the way opened the other copy I got and it's excellent! 120 tracks and like 8 hrs of music. It's got a 19 minute version of the Prae music! Good stuff.

Edit: sold!

Wish you could trade more items between folks...once I finish crafting these last few items to power level to 50 as WVR, I'll have 3 pages of items to trade...ACK!

WolvenOne

Actually, I'm really interested in hearing more about this, "Super challenging trial" that even the devs aren't expected to beat.

It'd make sense to introduce something like that between the Coil patches, to give those leet progression groups something else to gnaw on.

Not sure what it could be though. I doubt they would make Gilgamesh or any of the EM Primals as tough or tougher than T9.

So, what? ADS Extreme? Twintania Nightmare Mode? Absolute Virtue Reborn?

Also really looking forward to seeing what the Ramah pony will look like. I'm still betting that it'll be sporting the Raiden hat.

Yeah, but how many real ones? :p

Considering it takes about 2.1k wins or so just to hit r40 and if he did what I automatically assume he did(because I know of only a single blm who legit hit r40 on any server) then you could probably double that number with losses(if you go 50/50), then I would assume all those games were real. Now if you want to look at fake games then it would probably be 1.5k of that 4k or so I just listed and then tack on another couple hundred(wins, atleast as many losses) considering he has most of a 2nd set.

2457 real games(not 4man wintrades, also figuring in a 60/40 w/l ratio if you're decent) will get you to around r37 give or take 50 or so games. That's still 400-500 games left to hit r40 and then the couple hundred I said it would take to get multiple pieces of another set.

Hey gaf, wanted to run some Laptops by you all. (Yes, I know Desktop is better. But I need to stay mobile and lugging around a desk top through the airport sucks ASS)

I'm looking at this one right now. Would prefer to have something that I can change out the Graphics card on but that don't look likely.

Looking for a dedicated gaming Laptop cause I don't want to burn out my current work Laptop on on trying it's best to run this at the lowest levels (and still getting <20 FPS). Plus, I plan to play others games on PC in the future.

Looking at this one cause, from what I have looked up, it has more than enough to run this game at Max so it should also be good for other games.

Hey gaf, wanted to run some Laptops by you all. (Yes, I know Desktop is better. But I need to stay mobile and lugging around a desk top through the airport sucks ASS)

I'm looking at this one right now. Would prefer to have something that I can change out the Graphics card on but that don't look likely.

Looking for a dedicated gaming Laptop cause I don't want to burn out my current work Laptop on on trying it's best to run this at the lowest levels (and still getting <20 FPS). Plus, I plan to play others games on PC in the future.

Looking at this one cause, from what I have looked up, it has more than enough to run this game at Max so it should also be good for other games.
I have an Acer Aspire that runs the game pretty good on high end laptop settings. Cost about $1300 though

Ken

there's a gaming laptop OT somewhere around here

Teknoman

So because of the incompetence of Digital River I received (and paid for) two copies of the FFXIV:ARR soundtrack. I'd rather not have to deal with them again trying to return it so I figured I would throw it up here and see if anyone wanted to buy my extra one. It's still sealed and should have the code for the wind up Bahamut minion inside. Looking for $50 (via paypal) shipped in the US. I'll ship international but you'll have to pay a bit more for shipping. If you want it PM me, first come first served.

By the way opened the other copy I got and it's excellent! 120 tracks and like 8 hrs of music. It's got a 19 minute version of the Prae music! Good stuff.

Damn it...I just ran through my gaming budget for this month too >_<

EDIT: That new datamined Owl beasttribe might be something?

Jumping puzzles & hunts both sound excellent, I gotta say.

So ready for this!

Story Spoilers:

So I know Nero is the guy who tried to coherce you into exploring Crystal Tower, and it seems he is the only surviving member of Garlean force that tried to take on Eorzea
, but the website still shows the emperor (is he even still alive?), so I guess there are more generals/legatus to run into? Or are they just going to run with the Ascians for now?

Istaerion

Sent ya a PM regarding this!

For Shiva, won't they have to introduce a new beast tribe? And will that mean a new area? ishgard focused?

Unless there's an existing beast tribe I'm forgetting. I guess the goblins could summon her. That would be silly.

I have a theory about that, but most people think I'm crazy. Here it goes anyway.

Ever notice how the Primals' followers all resemble their followers in appearance? Well, what does Shiva look like?

ffxiv_shiva_01_thumb.jpg

An elezen. Who's a buncha elezen? The nation of Ishgard.

My theory is that the Archbishop of Ishgard is tempered to Shiva, convinced that she is Halone. (Who is, as some may recall, also associated with the element of ice.)

I'm probably crazy, though.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I have a theory about that, but most people think I'm crazy. Here it goes anyway.

Ever notice how the Primals' followers all resemble their followers in appearance? Well, what does Shiva look like?

ffxiv_shiva_01_thumb.jpg

My theory is that the Archbishop of Ishgard is tempered to Shiva, convinced that she is Halone. (Who is, as some may recall, also associated with the element of ice.)

We haven't had a non-beast race summon a primal.

The only exception is
The Warriors of Light
supposedly.

Shiva being a major part in the Ishgard storyline is a given considering that's what the expac will be based on along with Ala Mhigo. Best way they could incorporate her is tie up any lose ends with Ishgard in 2.4 and have them ready to go for the expac, she may not be a focus in the expac since we'll beat her before then, but if they want the expac to just roll right in with the story then she'll be the way to do it.

Question will be however is what are they planning for 2.5 other than potentially finishing off the CT storyline? Highly doubt the expac will be ready within 3-5 months of 2.4 coming out so will they hope 2.4 is enough with the primals or will they throw another at us. Shiva is a good way to lead up to Ishgard, but how will they lead up to Ala Mhigo?
2.2s story
only had a small mention at the end, nothing major that could really lead into it right away like they can with Ishgard. Then again we may not actually get a "new" primal in 2.5 if anyone has watched the
coil cutscenes which highly suggest Bahamut is coming back in some form, or it could just be old dude
, how we will fight him who knows but I highly doubt they would only let raiders fight him. How he would have any part in leading up to the expac? who knows, however they need more than just casual CT to end the vanilla game on(don't think I've played an mmo yet which ended an expac or base game with casual raid content).

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Is there an FC or something I can join on Ultros now that I'm on it? :D
From the OP:

HOW TO JOIN GAF FC ON ULTROS:

STEP #1:

STEP #2:
Submitting a Free Company Application
1. Target a member of GAF, then select View Company Profile from the subcommand menu.
1e50acf08461e355e3e5d4736391ba3f787720f1_1.png

2. Select Submit Application at the bottom of the Company Profile window.
1e50acf08461e355e3e5d4736391ba3f787720f1_2.png

3. Enter a message to be sent with your application, then press Confirm to submit.
1e50acf08461e355e3e5d4736391ba3f787720f1_3.png

4. We will review your application when available, and if your application has been accepted, you will be added to free company automatically.

Note: You do not need to be online to get accepted.

WolvenOne

Actually, I've often wondered why so many Primals, "don't," resemble the people's that summon then.

Garuda looks remarkably human for something summoned by unwinged birds.

Ifrit looks only, kinda reptilian. Frankly he looks more like a straight up demon.

Leviathan doesn't look anything like his summoner, save that they are both aquatic. Leviathan could almost pass for an eastern dragon.

Titan is the only primal that looks like his followers, mostly. He's huge, absurdly muscled, and made of stone, but his face has a similar Ratliff appearance, and he has the Kobald hunched gait.

So, Shiva looking Elazen, doesn't necessarily mean much.

CLBridges

ffxiv_shiva_01_thumb.jpg

Ahh yes, the Elezen master race shall have a queen to revere lol! But, on a serious note, SE will probably introduce a new beast tribe when Shiva is ready for full reveal.

aceface

They have all the basics down and Garuda was kind of a wildcard. I'd love to see Alexander.

Edit: actually probably Phoenix would be the next major one.

Uh...Ramuh? He looks nothing like the tiny cabbage people Sylph. XD

Since they already name-dropped
Zodiark in the recent story, I'd love to see more Final Fantasy Tactics/XII-themed Primals. Having to fight the Zodiac Beasts would be all kinds of awesome.

My first few Turn 4 experiences were mostly negative.

First experience: Three people leave after party gets destroyed in Wave 3...on our first try. After that, I'm booted cause it was my first time in the area. Dick move. Didn't even take me very long to realize what I had to do or I should say who I shouldn't even bother attacking

Second experience: Party gets to Wave 5 twice (or I should say Wave 6 twice cause there were two dreadnoughts on screen). After second failed attempt, party abandons duty...bunch of pussies

Third experience: Holy shit, we cleared it! And on our very first try

Will try the turn a few more times for potential Monk gear although I have ilvl 90 armor pieces on my self except for body and legs and accessories. And I'll probably stop saying if it's my first time doing turns or primal EXs if people are just gonna be dicks

suzu

Since they already name-dropped
Zodiark in the recent story, I'd love to see more Final Fantasy Tactics/XII-themed Primals. Having to fight the Zodiac Beasts would be all kinds of awesome.

Well, you get to
fight Belias-egi in the lvl 50 summoner job quest
. So maybe they will bring them up more at some later point.

SkyOdin

I think we can safely rule out the Gigas as the beastmen for Shiva. All of the major beast-tribes use En- spells of their associated element to boost their attacks: Amala'ja use Enfire, Ixali use Enareo, and so on. There is no monster type in the game that uses Enice. Though I'm not entirely certain if Kobolds use Enearth or not...

I want to unlock the Crystal Tower, I read this guide but I'm lost:
http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Crystal_Tower

My il is 57, and I killed all the primals (except Leviathan) at hard difficulty, I'm playing as a tank (Paladin).

Will it be hard for my il especially that I'm a tank?
Crystal Tower isn't too demanding on an individual basis, so long as the rest of your team is decently geared. I remember running it for the first time while still using mostly Artifact armor. However, you certainly should stick to OTing when possible, and stay far away from MTing the major bosses.

The real tricky part of CT isn't in having good enough gear, it is knowing what to do and what not to do. It is entirely possible for an errant tank to wipe the entire raid with a single mistake. Don't take this is me trying to pressure you, just remember to ask lots of questions in party or alliance chat. Be sure to communicate. In most of the fights you have a very specific job required of you. As long as you know what that is, you will do okay, even with ilvl 57 gear. Just don't let people volunteer you for IG duty. Somehow that ended up on my lap the very first time I tackled CT. It didn't work out.

Just to warn you though, CT has gotten a lot more hectic in 2.2 than it was in 2.1. CT runs were a well-oiled machine a month or two into 2.1, but I think all those people who mastered it have moved on to newer content. Ever since, CT runs have become messier, as a larger percentage of players attempting it are new to it.

kiryogi

Banned
Considering it takes about 2.1k wins or so just to hit r40 and if he did what I automatically assume he did(because I know of only a single blm who legit hit r40 on any server) then you could probably double that number with losses(if you go 50/50), then I would assume all those games were real. Now if you want to look at fake games then it would probably be 1.5k of that 4k or so I just listed and then tack on another couple hundred(wins, atleast as many losses) considering he has most of a 2nd set.

2457 real games(not 4man wintrades, also figuring in a 60/40 w/l ratio if you're decent) will get you to around r37 give or take 50 or so games. That's still 400-500 games left to hit r40 and then the couple hundred I said it would take to get multiple pieces of another set.

2457/1207.

Let me say this, were I completely wintrading, I wouldn't have gotten my Atma. My routine with PVP was queuing while FATE farming. Made Atma farming a ton more bearable.

2457/1207.

Let me say this, were I completely wintrading, I wouldn't have gotten my Atma. My routine with PVP was queuing while FATE farming.

Nah I would hope if anyone was interested in multiple sets of gear, I would think they got some enjoyment out of the actual pvp and didn't just trade all the way to the top. Wasn't going to say what I would if it were the official forums because of that, can tell you may actually get some enjoyment out of it. This grind is hell enough as is even going after a single set, going after multiple though? gotta like something about it.

I have a lot against wintraders and how they seem to be handled in this game(they aren't) but it's good to see that some of them actually do enjoy the meta for what it is(even if it's horribly broken). Only thing I may not like is how much of an advantage the gear gives over even ilvl 90 pvp gear and how I've already seen some wintraders that are clearly being carried by their higher end gear. If it was nothing but vanity then I honestly wouldn't care all that much, but when people who legit players have never seen before suddenly show up with their best gear, then there's a problem because of the difference in stats(even minor, the 30 or so morale increase plus extra stats over ilvl 90 makes a decent difference).

We really need some open end dungeons. I didn't play XI much but I liked how some of the dungeons had areas with low level enemies but if you went further in, you could find much dangerous foes. It gave you a sense of exploration and adventure. There are quite a few dungeons in XIV that I wish I could hang around in and not only be hidden behind a timed instance.

why_would_you_do_pvp.jpg

GAF PvP Saturday Night Fights

Date: Saturday, May 31st
Time: 3 PM Pacific/6 PM Eastern
Who: You, baka
What: Your face, getting wrecked
Where: Ultros
Why: Reasons

General Information:

So this will be my first attempt at organizing anything larger than a group of 8 people showing up at the same time every week to wipe in Coil. It's going to be bad. I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. The world might end in a zombie apocalypse. Deal with it.

The goal of GAF PvP Nights is to get a bunch of Gaffers who would otherwise not PvP to be able to do so in a fun environment where everyone is rank nothing except our several PvP veterans and all gear is the same to remove the crazy effect of gear weighting in this game's PvP. We can form up into groups, wreck each others' faces, talk some trash, and generally have a good time. There's a side benefit of having instant queues and a steady stream of PVP XP and Wolf Marks for all participants, which will certainly help everyone get some kind of baseline gearing for the upcoming Frontlines.

Rules of the Zerg:

Gear: In order to enforce some kind of gear normalization, everyone who participates must be wearing Full AF1, the set which you got for leveling your job to 50. Your weapon must be PvE i90 or i95, this means you will be allowed to have Primal EX (Primal Focus), Levi EX, Allagan, or Relic Zenith or non-upgraded Relic Atma. i100+ weapons are no bueno, so stop trying to show off and put your Liberator away. At this time I have no idea how quick matches will be with this gear loadout, gear requirements are therefore subject to change in the future events. No PvP-specific gear will be allowed, period.

Skills: Unfortunately at this moment you have to rank up to buy PvP-specific skills. That will change in patch 2.28 when all skills will be unlocked by default. For this reason our PvP veterans, and by that I mean Mupod, Felix, Raijinken, and Pellegri, will be distributed among the various teams in as even a manner as possible. There will be no restrictions on using PvP-specific skills, so if you have them, use them until the other team has died.

Teams: PvP is currently a 4v4 Arena affair in the Wolves' Den. We will divide the players who arrive into teams of 4, queue the 4v4 50 cap tier in The Foreign (German, French, or Japanese), and proceed to beat the living hell out of each other. Depending on which teams are winning regularly, I hope to rebalance the teams regularly so everyone gets a chance to taste the orgasmic pleasure of gloriously bursting victory in your mouth. There is a chance that we will queue into a fight with wintraders in this tier, if that happens just wreck them quickly since they'll probably be naked wearing no gear and get the hell out of there so we can try to queue up again. Unfortunately if a number of players not equal to a multiple of 4 shows up, we will have to do rotation of players in and out so everyone gets a chance to play. I'll probably be bad at this, so please only show up in a multiple of 4 so as to make my life easier. Teehee.

Organization: There will be a calendar entry on Guildwork and a signup sheet so you can sign up. Feel free to sign up, or don't and just show up when you want. The general targeted start time will be as seen above, but you can drop in and out whenever you are free or not free. We'll just rotate people in and out of teams as needed, for as long as we have at least 8 people which is the minimum necessary for 4v4.

Signup Sheet:
http://neogaf.guildwork.com/schedule#!events/5387ee6b002aa87f93dcd008

TL;DR: The first GAF PvP Night will be this Saturday, 3 PM Pacific/6 PM Eastern. Be there or no smashed faces for you.

WolvenOne

Just a bit of a PSA for new players.

Once you reach the endgame, I'd highly suggest building a social circle of players you trust, to help you with content that's new to you. They may not always have the free time to help you out immediately, but, useually if your patient, they can give you a hand.

When it comes to Trials or Raid content especially, it makes for a far more enjoyable experience. Just, remember to occasionally do the same for others. :)

IvorB

I have 3 more weeks subbed, so I'll be able to try it out a bit. I'm so torn - I really like the game but without personal housing, the reward loop is starting to feel hollow to me.

Summer's here and I want to focus on working out, exploring the city with my girl & my friends... just doing more shit in general.
!

Cool, man. I miss living somewhere where summer was a dependable thing you could plan your life around. *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom