• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been busy as hell with work all week and probably missed it, but this is confirmed for Thursday?

[Date & Time]
Jun. 5, 2014 from 12:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. (PDT)
*Completion time may be subject to change.

At the following time, we will be performing maintenance on all Worlds to accompany Patch 2.28. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn will be unavailable.

Been busy as hell with work all week and probably missed it, but this is confirmed for Thursday?

[NA] All Worlds Maintenance (Jun. 5)

At the following time, we will be performing maintenance on all Worlds to accompany Patch 2.28. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

*The World Transfer Service will be suspended 15 minutes before maintenance begins, and will be unavailable until maintenance has ended.

[Date & Time]
Jun. 5, 2014 from 12:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. (PDT)
*Completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Service]
- FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn

My brother and I just started back up and decided to make new characters (didn't get too far before). Both of us started as conjurers, but I'm aiming for paladin eventually. When is it recommended to start leveling gladiator?

Might as well switch over to Paladin as soon as your conjurer hits 15.

So at the weekend I managed to scrape together 400 myth tomes. So only 425 to go to get my new robe that I have my eye on. I should really have tackled Garuda story mode but I've been putting it off. She kind of scares me so I'm happy to gear up a bit beforehand to ensure everything goes smoothly and she feels the full force of my wrath.

And big thanks to whoever gave/lent me the awesome staff at the PvP night. I don't remember who it was. Just let me know if you want it back (I really hope you don't want it back...).

On another note I really wish this game had gear options beyond just stat boosts. Is there any plan to add more interesting gear options down the road or no?
Just go do it. I go into every new fight with all kinds of anxiety and come out saying "that was it?" I'm sure you'll do fine, and if you don't you'll wipe and do it again.

Throw a tell to Marzipan if I'm on and I'll healz.

Isaccard

You went back into CT last night? I did, also. Kept wiping to Atomos. Why? Our tank kept fucking trolling us by bringing the adds to the platform and turning Valefor's ass towards us. This is because the group vote-kicked our second tank, and it took three Atomos wipes before we got another tank in our group.

Everything was smooth after that.

Edit:

WTF is with you Ultros people and tanking Bone Dragon at the edge of the arena? It doesn't make any sense to do that.

lol it's a tradition on our data center

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Woo! Just got to lv 50. Did my last job quest, unlocked glamours and looking to see what's next.

I'm thinking I should start my Relic quest and maybe try my hand at Amdapor Keep & Wanderer's Palace for better gear? Any other suggestions?

If you become a self-sufficient crafter/gatherer you really rake in the gil

There are things too cheap on the MB you don't need to get, but some of the mid to high really need to be gathered to really get the ball rolling

2 Tabs on my retainer are just overstocked with every mat I need to craft the daily turn in for GC's
All 8 crafting classes have a 5-7 item rotation , same goes for provision the gathering portion, you make roughly 8000 seals everyday if you have everything to 50

Great thing retainers did for me is I can pile up any item need quickly over a few ventures

Only things i still need to grab are the gathering items, but I can do it faster than the retainers
Trying to get 50+ ochu vines would take awhile, but sending 2 retainers out on 40 min ventures nets me roughly 16 NQ, 4 HQ

Crafting can be a small side hustle for gil, cause there's always demand for stuff
Hell melding late night for randoms has netted me nice gil

Recently I have been powerleveling different people on their crafting by making them HQ items and they doing turn-in leves
Did BSM for someone recently, which they asked me to get them from 15-50
Just buy the mats, keep the prices written including shards, then they wuld give me a bonus
The 4 hour craft session netted 350,000 gil, which is not bad at all, the mats came out to roughly 90K, so I made 250k+ for it

Interesting. I've mostly stopped doing the GC quests. I only do the ones with stars that give a double bonus, the rest I don't find worth doing. And I only do it for the exp, I'm getting more seals that I know what to do with from dungeons trading the loot I greed there. Now selling HQ stuff needed for the GC quests is a much better investment of your time IMO.

8000 seals get you what? 2 cokes? That would be about 8 - 10k right? You can sell just 1 of those turn ins for those prices. With at most 2 you've made way more money. Plus you can sell the stuff they need at lower levels for decent money and it costs peanuts to make. Hell I know I'd be willing to pay a small premium for Alchemist and Culinarian stuff since I don't have enough space for their mats.

Just got my weaver from lv30 to lv50, blowing 200-300K and 60 leves during the process. Ouch D:

Ouch. That doesn't sound right. The lvl 45 leves give you around 200k a pop if you turn in a HQ item right? And those items are usually sold for around 10k. The leves in Coerthas both also give between 120k and 180k so...

Related to that. How many leves do you get per day? I think the game told me 12 at one point, but it always seems like it's less.

Cmagus

Just got my weaver from lv30 to lv50, blowing 200-300K and 60 leves during the process. Ouch D:

Damn lol that's a lot of gil to spend. I just let my leves build up and then do them. Generally as a rule I try not to spend any gil on crafting other than some teleporting. If you can find the best leve you can usually level up using minimal leves.

Culinary is a good example of how you can do it cheap. I made knights bread HQ and got it to 50 in a day from 35. knights bread gets you 130k for a HQ per leve and the mats are very easy to farm.

WolvenOne

Really need to finish leveling miner at some point. I think this patch has kept me busier with endgame stuff than any of the previous patches before it.

If I don't want to break the bank on finishing my miner, and decide to do everything manually, how long would it take me to go from 15 to 50?

Damn lol that's a lot of gil to spend. I just let my leves build up and then do them. Generally as a rule I try not to spend any gil on crafting other than some teleporting. If you can find the best leve you can usually level up using minimal leves.

Culinary is a good example of how you can do it cheap. I made knights bread HQ and got it to 50 in a day from 35. knights bread gets you 130k for a HQ per leve and the mats are very easy to farm.

I didn't even bother making it. The HQ was like 400 from the MB. About the same as a teleport to go gather. I really hate making culinarian stuff. So many mats for a single recipe.

Between me and my 2 retainers we have about 15 free spaces. I really need to do some cleaning there.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
8000 seals get you what? 2 cokes? That would be about 8 - 10k right? You can sell just 1 of those turn ins for those prices. With at most 2 you've made way more money. Plus you can sell the stuff they need at lower levels for decent money and it costs peanuts to make. Hell I know I'd be willing to pay a small premium for Alchemist and Culinarian stuff since I don't have enough space for their mats.

Gets you roughly 3 of the philo items a day just from trading in GC daily items, so around 15K for them
Yes you can sell the HQ versions on the MB, but there's undercutting and stagnation to contend with

Daily I could earn 15K Seals easily, that translates 6 of those
Dungeons also drop the philo items you get bonus on top of that

Your taking quick cash over the long slow chunk of cash from crafted items

I mean I do it cause I'm chasing the achievement portion also, but it maximizes it for me
When I'm done with it, I do put up extra synthed stuff to sell, I mean if you have free retainer sale space, why not?

Cmagus

I didn't even bother making it. The HQ was like 400 from the MB. About the same as a teleport to go gather. I really hate making culinarian stuff. So many mats for a single recipe.

Between me and my 2 retainers we have about 15 free spaces. I really need to do some cleaning there.

Yeah it can be a pain but efficient. The only issue with the knights bread is that the leve in in Limsa and the turn in is in Coerthas. I used my free tele destination as Coerthas and the leve reward more than pays for the tele back.

Gets you roughly 3 of the philo items a day just from trading in GC daily items, so around 15K for them
Yes you can sell the HQ versions on the MB, but there's undercutting and stagnation to contend with

Daily I could earn 15K Seals easily, that translates 6 of those
Dungeons also drop the philo items you get bonus on top of that

Your taking quick cash over the long slow chunk of cash from crafted items

I mean I do it cause I'm chasing the achievement portion also, but it maximizes it for me
When I'm done with it, I do put up extra synthed stuff to sell, I mean if you have free retainer sale space, why not?

I'd imagine the lvl 50 turn ins aren't that much in demand (I'd assume most people do them for the exp), but the lower levels sell. I know because I always try to buy first. If it's not on the MB or only the NQ is there I'll craft a few myself and then put up the rest for sale, so I know the demand is there.

Yeah it can be a pain but efficient. The only issue with the knights bread is that the leve in in Limsa and the turn in is in Coerthas. I used my free tele destination as Coerthas and the leve reward more than pays for the tele back.

Oh I agree with you the leve is efficient (though unfortunately the Coerthas aetherite is pretty far from the turn in point). I'm saying making the bread isn't, since it's probably cheaper to buy it on the market than to go out of your way to make it (unless you already had the mats of course).

WolvenOne

Incidentally.

I've heard some players express that they disliked Lost City of Ampdapore, due to it's length. Am I the only one to, "enjoy," the occasional lengthy dungeon?

I mean, yeah Brayflox HM is nice for farming Myth, Seals, or for relatively quickly getting some Soldiery, buuuut, well occasionally I feel like there ought to be some dungeons long enough to sink my teeth into.

Also, on a related topic, I really hope that they eventually release some dungeons that're at least modestly challenging to players who regularly do Trials, Coil, etc. I feel like they've only been modestly ramping up the ilvl requirements, to fill gaps between ilvl 50 and 110, but if they're going to add 20ilvls to the equipment cap every six months, I don't ever see them, "catching up," exactly.

Just, kinda miss the days when I actually had a decent chance at repeatedly wiping in a dungeon, even with a pre-made. That probably sounds silly but man, dat Demon Wall. XD

Wilsongt

Incidentally.

I've heard some players express that they disliked Lost City of Ampdapore, due to it's length. Am I the only one to, "enjoy," the occasional lengthy dungeon?

I mean, yeah Brayflox HM is nice for farming Myth, Seals, or for relatively quickly getting some Soldiery, buuuut, well occasionally I feel like there ought to be some dungeons long enough to sink my teeth into.

Also, on a related topic, I really hope that they eventually release some dungeons that're at least modestly challenging to players who regularly do Trials, Coil, etc. I feel like they've only been modestly ramping up the ilvl requirements, to fill gaps between ilvl 50 and 110, but if they're going to add 20ilvls to the equipment cap every six months, I don't ever see them, "catching up," exactly.

Just, kinda miss the days when I actually had a decent chance at repeatedly wiping in a dungeon, even with a pre-made. That probably sounds silly but man, dat Demon Wall. XD

They did with Pharos, then people bitched.

WolvenOne

They did with Pharos, then people bitched.

Well there's a difference between, needing two or three shots at Demon Wall, and spending a half hour straight on Siren only for the timer to run out.

Admittedly though, I think I would've preferred it if Pharos remained that difficult, and they simply adjusted the drops and ilvl requirement accordingly. That probably wasn't an option though.

Ouch. That doesn't sound right. The lvl 45 leves give you around 200k a pop if you turn in a HQ item right? And those items are usually sold for around 10k. The leves in Coerthas both also give between 120k and 180k so...

Related to that. How many leves do you get per day? I think the game told me 12 at one point, but it always seems like it's less.

45 -> 50 was the least painful. I did it in 20 minutes or so. But 30 -> 40 cost me a lot because all those linen yarns. All so I ran out of thunder shards 3 times and that alone costed me ~150k. But now I've overcome that.Time to put all those cloths on the market to get money back >:D

Incidentally.

I really really like longer dungeons, but not when they are just pathways though trash to bosses, and that is all they are in this game. Being longer here doesn't mean anything more then more trash. No interesting puzzles or feeling of it being an actual lived in working place, just longer hallways.

Windtrick

I do love a long dungeon. There's something to enjoy about looking at some of the awesome dungeons such as Brayflox due to the passage of time and all the details the developers put into said dungeon. The only dungeon I dont like is Toto-Rak. It's just such a boring dungeon to look at and traverse.

That being said, I dont feel Ampdapore is long at all. Perhaps its because the atmosphere is enjoyable. At most, my longest run there was my first ever where we took a bit to figure out the last boss. A run the other day was about 15 min.

WolvenOne

Yes, from what I've heard, "Trash mobs," have been done better in other games.

That said, while Lost City doesn't constantly inundate you with interesting puzzles and mechanics, there are a couple fun moments sprinkled throughout that dungeon, ditto with Halitali HM.

Brayflox HM is the only one of the new dungeons I can think of where there are no real interesting twists between the bosses, and it's hecka short.

So among the new dungeons, my only complaint is that the bosses and mobs can be, "at least to an extent," plowed through while ignoring at least some mechanics, if you're sufficiently geared.

I mean, heck, with the final boss is Brayflox, you can ignore an entire section of the fight if you're well geared and good with LB timing. I mean yeah, a fully geared dedicated player would plow through that final phase as well, but still.

WolvenOne

I do love a long dungeon. There's something to enjoy about looking at some of the awesome dungeons such as Brayflox due to the passage of time and all the details the developers put into said dungeon. The only dungeon I dont like is Toto-Rak. It's just such a boring dungeon to look at and traverse.

That being said, I dont feel Ampdapore is long at all. Perhaps its because the atmosphere is enjoyable. At most, my longest run there was my first ever where we took a bit to figure out the last boss. A run the other day was about 15 min.

Not lengthy compared to some of the story dungeons, that's for certain.

Really weird how many of the story dungeons ended up being tougher than the endgame, "HM," dungeons.

aceface

Woo! Just got to lv 50. Did my last job quest, unlocked glamours and looking to see what's next.

I'm thinking I should start my Relic quest and maybe try my hand at Amdapor Keep & Wanderer's Palace for better gear? Any other suggestions?

Did you beat the main story? A lot of the later stuff doesn't open until you do that.

If you did beat Castrum and Prae, I'd go ahead and start your relic quest. For gear, opening up Crystal Tower is a good way to go. Ilevel 80 gear drops from there (AK and WP only drop ilevel 60 gear) and you also get 100 myth tomes per run. You can also usually do CT in full AF gear although keep in mind with 24 people per run it can get a bit maddening at times.

I really really like longer dungeons, but not when they are just pathways though trash to bosses, and that is all they are in this game. Being longer here doesn't mean anything more then more trash. No interesting puzzles or feeling of it being an actual lived in working place, just longer hallways.

Have you done any dungeons yet in Wildstar? I would be interested to hear your impressions of the encounters in that game.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Did you beat the main story? A lot of the later stuff doesn't open until you do that.

If you did beat Castrum and Prae, I'd go ahead and start your relic quest. For gear, opening up Crystal Tower is a good way to go. Ilevel 80 gear drops from there (AK and WP only drop ilevel 60 gear) and you also get 100 myth tomes per run. You can also usually do CT in full AF gear although keep in mind with 24 people per run it can get a bit maddening at times.

I did beat the Main Story. I want to run AK & WP once so any gear I get will still be relevant, then move on to unlock CT - thanks!

Cmagus

IMO the dungeons in this game are too long. Although the only reason to do the end game ones are for tomes and honestly the tome system has gotten super old at this point. Grinding tomes is the worst thing in this game but like you said having to go through pointless trash mob over and over makes it even worse. There is absolutely nothing interesting in any of the dungeons its just corridor after corridor of trash mobs and lousy bosses.

IvorB

Don't you have to be lv. 50 to equip any myth gear? And if you are 50 you will level sync down and nerf the gear anyways. I think having just your AF for garuda story would be overgeared.

I'm level 50 now. I should just go for it. I guess they've done a good job of hyping her up in the game because the previous primals were pretty easy. I don't know why I fear her so much.

Just go do it. I go into every new fight with all kinds of anxiety and come out saying "that was it?" I'm sure you'll do fine, and if you don't you'll wipe and do it again.

Throw a tell to Marzipan if I'm on and I'll healz.

Yeah next time I'm on her time will come.

IMO the dungeons in this game are too long. Although the only reason to do the end game ones are for tomes and honestly the tome system has gotten super old at this point. Grinding tomes is the worst thing in this game but like you said having to go through pointless trash mob over and over makes it even worse. There is absolutely nothing interesting in any of the dungeons its just corridor after corridor of trash mobs and lousy bosses.

These games should take a lesson from Diablo here. They should randomise it a bit and unexpectedly throw in sub bosses with an entourage to keep people on their toes.

WolvenOne

Have a hard time taking anyone too seriously when they complain about, "all," the dungeons being too long. Seriously, most these dungeons are hecka short, and can be completed in under twenty minutes by an even half competent party that's appropriately geared. (Which is most the parties I encounter in the HLDR.)

How flipping short do you want these dungeons exactly?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Have a hard time taking anyone too seriously when they complain about, "all," the dungeons being too long. Seriously, most these dungeons are hecka short, and can be completed in under twenty minutes by an even half competent party that's appropriately geared. (Which is most the parties I encounter in the HLDR.)

How flipping short do you want these dungeons exactly?

A lot of us just want to reduce the time it takes to farm tomes. It is already monotonous and a chore to be done weekly.

Cap Tomes, Do coil, log out and do other things until next week.
I wouldn't mind a quicker way to cap tomes.

Kenai

Yay Thursday. I'm on like...Book 7 myth grind. Hope after the boost I'll be done and on the Novos stuff this weekend.

Yes, from what I've heard, "Trash mobs," have been done better in other games.

I'm trying to think of them but nothing is coming to mind. At the end of the day trash mobs are called that for a reason. Either they are dangerous enough to wipe you without CC on them (I never particularly cared for that in WoW or EQ or anything) or they are just kill or be killed.

I personally would like the Challenge/achievement system expanded upon. Add more cosmetic things like commendation awards and job specific mounts/armor sets and whatnot that take a while to obtain and require dedication rather than simple luck, but aren't necessarily "must have" items or blocking other content like Atmas. Considering how few people actually have the Bear/Lion mounts and such they could easily add "optional" "fun" things like that to work for that would keep people busy, but not required if they don't wanna.

A lot of us just want to reduce the time it takes to farm tomes. It is already monotonous and a chore to be done weekly.

They are already pretty easy to cap, a whole week to spread out the grind to be less tedious. It's not like it's really hard to SR bray x 10 in a few hours if you want. They aren't even restricting your job so that anyone geared/exped can complete a SR pretty fast,, and even letting you build your own SR parties in the FC/party finder so you aren't forced to random if as DPS. And if you are talking about Myth, they are upping the drop rate on Thursday. It's boring after a long time, but if you are worried about efficiency only and constantly doing the same exact thing over and over again anyway expecting it to continue to be fun I just dunno what to tell ya. These dungeons *are* really short if you can pretty consistently do them in 15-20 min even while not speed-running, and let's not pretend someone only interested in grinding to cap is gonna care about any dungeon but the shortest, most efficient one a week after release.

None of the end game dungeons are really long and I usually get them done in 30 minutes or less...usually 15 to 20 actually. The long ones are actually the ones before level 50, like Stone Vigil, Toto-Rak, Darkhold...etc

GraveRobberX

The longest and most boring dungeon is Stone Vigil. Hope the hard mode version makes it more interesting.

3 times longer, every right or left turn, Dragon Trap!, debuff that stacks till 1st boss

Have more than 5 stacks, boss does double damage more than 10, triple

Tank will reach 7 if smart dodger, 11 if not lol

Welcome to SVHM!

WolvenOne

Even this, I don't get. I hardly even run dungeons and still cap, easily, before the reset. Do one Expert Duty Roulette a day, and one Trial Roulette a day, and your normal Coil/Trial stuff, and you'll hit cap with several days to spare.

Seriously, that's like 30-40 minutes of gameplay a day, tops. That's a big fat nothing burger.

Edit: Admittedly, I'm a Tank, so I have instant queues. Still, this is representative of actual game play time, and there's nothing the developers can really do about the over-abundance of DPS, at least nothing that they aren't already doing. If it's the queues that're really bothering you, I'd suggest leveling either a healer or tank, and learning to use them well enough to get through those dungeons. Granted, I can understand why you wouldn't want to do that, but still.

system11

And like an idiot, I forgot about the PSN maintenance and logged out via 'exit game', and now I'll have to find something else to do with the evening. That client check relying on PSN really needs to die.

Even this, I don't get. I hardly even run dungeons and still cap, easily, before the reset. Do one Expert Duty Roulette a day, and one Trial Roulette a day, and your normal Coil/Trial stuff, and you'll hit cap with several days to spare.

Seriously, that's like 30-40 minutes of gameplay a day, tops. That's a big fat nothingburger.

Edit: Admittedly, I'm a Tank, so I have instant queues. Still, this is representative of actual game play time, and there's nothing the developers can really do about the over-abundance of DPS, at least nothing that they aren't already doing.

When does the soldiery cap reset? First week I've ever hit it, but I'd like to know when I can get the 200 I need for the chest piece.

WolvenOne

When does the soldiery cap reset? First week I've ever hit it, but I'd like to know when I can get the 200 I need for the chest piece.

2AM Tuesday morning, mountain time.

So, 1AM PST, 4AM Eastern.

Fun fact, if you're a night owl, and you don't do Trial or Expert Roulette today, come reset time you can use today's Roulette, before they reset, and get two of each in a 24 hour period, counting towards this upcoming weeks Soldiery cap.

So that's 140 from the Expert Roulette, and depending on what trials you get, 30 to 40 Soldiery off the Trial Roulette's.

Most weeks I don't bother with this though, it's really not hard to hit the cap. The cap after all, was mostly designed to be casual content.

GraveRobberX

Used to be Mondays @11am EST weekly, that's why dailies for beastmen occur at that time

They moved it to Tuesday 4am EST to offload the server fuckery that usually took place on Mondays when people hammered Coil and many 90K's occurred

Camate said:
Man oh man! The good news for repairs just keeps coming! I think you’re all going to like this one a lot too…

In patch 2.28, as long as you fulfill all the requirements for repairing, you’ll be able to repair equipment you are currently wearing as well as equipment that is in your Armoury Chest. Additionally, there will be an option to repair all categories of equipment.

Oh yeah, also, you’ll be able to repair while in dungeons and other content!

So many quality of life changes. Too good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom