• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeana

Echo alone isn't going to help people get through Turns 6-9... so I wonder if they'll start removing mechanics come 2.4.
Maybe not removing, but I can see them easing some stuff. For instance, reducing the time that the petrification debuff lasts in turn 7 so it's a little more forgiving if someone happens to get petrified. Things like that.

Shouta

Echo alone isn't going to help people get through Turns 6-9... so I wonder if they'll start removing mechanics come 2.4.

Considering the current philosophy, they probably will. I haven't played the new Coil so I don't know but going from what I've heard from folks, it sounds pretty mechanics laden.

idk I mean I don't see t6-9 not taking player skill and gear into account. You have to be able to do your job well to clear those turns. it just adds more mechanics to the fights then players were previously accustomed to.

Any method you choose for turn 6 you have to be able to put out DPS in order to clear, in T7 you really just have to understand LoS, if you fought garuda, you should have this concept down and just really need to know what a hitbox is in XIV, 8 is pure DPS. I cannot really speak on t9 as we just got there the week before last consistently and havent really tried it. I mean 6-8 is more then that but really not by much. I mean blight is a reverse twister, petrafaction is hey im casting this pay attention turn around dont look at me, towers in 8 hey click me so I don't charge at same time, or pay attention to the size of this circle on the ground. So It's not hard and it does have a quite of bit of mechanics but not too many that it cannot be cleared.

The problem I see here is that players want it easy mode, when it doesn't need to be and that some players that are trying these turns now cleared coil 1 after echo etc. Pre echo you had to know your shit and be able to deal with the few mechanics that were in T5 while putting out the dps, You basically had to run it perfect in some cases. The players that aren't complaining are the players that were able to do that and are the ones not having a problem in coil mostly, its the ones that brute forced their way through and are having issues now weren't ready. they didn't know how to do rot, real with dreads, and twisters and keep up dps etc.They just hurt themselves imho. Not saying this about people that may have had a static prior and didnt get their clear before echo because it broke. But those that just struggled in general with coil. like a lot of people couldn't clear turn 2 before enrage, Im talking about those people

But I see why because if they can't clear it then they would have quit. So I see why they allowed it but at the same time it's why people are having problems.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
By using mechanics as a driving force for the game, you take an element of player knowledge of their job and class out and it focuses on how well they've learned they deal with a mechanic instead.

I'm not too sure about this- a lot of the difficulty of the fights is doing your job while dealing with mechanics. That's how the fights feel different- if the focus was less on mechanics and much more on 'playing your job' I would feel that the game would get stale a lot faster. To take his Turn 4 example, I am doing my DPS rotation. I move a little sometimes. I LB the spinner rook. That's it, that's the entire fight. Apart from the LB, I am basically attacking training dummies. And I am a very bad dps, I assume Puppy and Guy actually just slept through the fight. There's plenty of fights that test how good you are at your job with gimmicks as well- Turn 8, for example, and it's a fight a lot of people enjoy because of it (Turn 7 still best).

There might be a slight disconnect with what me and the writer wants from a video game, though, because I cannot fathom the viewpoint that all the levelling dungeons are fun except Qarn and Brayflox. Who's this mythical everyman who likes Toto-rak? Own up. It's Ari, isn't it?

chrono01

Makoto, your rotation is missing that level 34 ARC ability.
Quiet you! I will have it soon enough!

Honestly, as nice as Quelling Strikes is, you don't really need it with great tanks. I will fit it into my CD rotation, though, once I receive it.

I really do not enjoy Archer so far, but only a few more levels to go. If only Mario Kart 8 wasn't taking up so much of my gaming time now...

Yeah I remember we discussed this and I've taken transpose out of my regular combos. But I'm still figuring out how best to work with Flare as I only unlocked it recently. I'll certainly try out convert when I play next but I don't like the idea of placing additional demands on the healer just to do my attacks. How much is the HP drain for convert? Isn't it, like, 50%? Yikes. *Shudders*
Sorry for the delay!

It's not 50%, it's only 20%. With a high HP pool, that's not much at all, just be careful about using it when there's going to be a high-damage, raid-wide AOE.

Isaccard

I'm not too sure about this- a lot of the difficulty of the fights is doing your job while dealing with mechanics. That's how the fights feel different- if the focus was less on mechanics and much more on 'playing your job' I would feel that the game would get stale a lot faster. To take his Turn 4 example, I am doing my DPS rotation. I move a little sometimes. I LB the spinner rook. That's it, that's the entire fight. Apart from the LB, I am basically attacking training dummies. And I am a very bad dps, I assume Puppy and Guy actually just slept through the fight. There's plenty of fights that test how good you are at your job with gimmicks as well- Turn 8, for example, and it's a fight a lot of people enjoy because of it (Turn 7 still best).

There might be a slight disconnect with what me and the writer wants from a video game, though, because I cannot fathom the viewpoint that all the levelling dungeons are fun except Qarn and Brayflox. Who's this mythical everyman who likes Toto-rak? Own up. It's Ari, isn't it?

It would be Ari, wut a scumbag

Shouta

It's not about removing mechanics in total but reducing the number of them so the fights don't become focused on them. Fights like the Primals are examples of being heavily focused on them as I mentioned, especially the pattern based nature. I think job and general battle system stuff factors into your concern though.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Honestly, as nice as Quelling Strikes is, you don't really need it with great tanks. I will fit it into my CD rotation, though, once I receive it.

I really do not enjoy Archer so far, but only a few more levels to go. If only Mario Kart 8 wasn't taking up so much of my gaming time now...

Sorry for the delay!

It's not 50%, it's only 20%. With a high HP pool, that's not much at all, just be careful about using it when there's going to be a high-damage, raid-wide AOE.

You're right, paying attention to cursed voice is a lot more important. ;)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Maybe not removing, but I can see them easing some stuff. For instance, reducing the time that the petrification debuff lasts in turn 7 so it's a little more forgiving if someone happens to get petrified. Things like that.

I can see that. They did the same thing with high voltage in Turn 2 but I could definitely see second coil being harder to do with random groups just based on the mechanics and because there seems to be several more ways to complete each turn this time around.

Alex

I can't really think of a way you can remove mechanics and preserve difficulty without resorting to awkward and antiqued fare like Everquest and Final Fantasy XI. Is there really such a desire to return to a period where it was mostly about who you knew and how much time you could dump in?

As of Second Coil I think their design is in a good place, the mechanics are much more interesting, equipment and personal responsibility is stressed a lot more, etc. There's still some complaints I have for end game, like Itemization needs a giant shot in the arm, and I still feel they need some laddering both up and down with difficulty modes (for both Coil and Crystal Tower) but otherwise, I'm pleased enough. (with end game, I still think modern MMO leveling is a mess)

When people say they want more focus on the job, they need to be more clear. What is it that we're not pushing to the brink as is with our jobs during Second Coil?

It's not about removing mechanics in total but reducing the number of them so the fights don't become focused on them. Fights like the Primals are examples of being heavily focused on them as I mentioned, especially the pattern based nature. I think job and general battle system stuff factors into your concern though.

I don't mean to be blunt about this, but there is content in the game that doesn't require all the pattern and mechanic memorization. Lower dungeons and CT are there and will continue to be added, and are a lot more forgiving to mistakes then coil, which is meant to cater to the kind of people that do enjoy that kind of mechanics heavy content design. There is actually a lot more content in the game that doesn't take that skill set, it's just that because of the nature of it it doesn't take weeks of learning to beat it, so it is less fulfilling. The second coil has a total of 4 mechanics heavy bosses that would have no longevity for the people that do them at all if they weren't the way they are.

Very good arguments, honestly. I made the same observations and have had the same sentiments since Coil 1 about it and is the reason why I lost interest in the game. When Patch hit, I couldn't be bothered to try new content because of that, lol.

They have slightly rose-tinted nostalgia for FFXI but they do recognize a lot of its failings through its lifetime. It works well as a framing the argument and to show different principles in design.

When simplified, yes. It's a little more nuanced than that though.

Battles rely on the mechanics to the point that if you can't cope with it, it doesn't matter how how good you are at your job, you will fail. While having these mechanics is great, it's affected the overall design of the game to a significant degree.

The "Team Jump Rope" explanation is perfect for what the design philosophy is currently. Everyone is jumping the same rope and if you can't get the timing of when the rope is coming, you messed up for everyone, even if all the other members are doing it perfectly. There's no wiggle room and no recovery to win fights in the current system. You mess up a section, it's out of the pool to restart, lol.

That's promoted the attitude of kicking folks that make minor mistakes or if they haven't learned/practice the fight and a result, makes it harder for non-hardcore players to move from the casual or mainstream groups into the hardcore crowd. The other issues they discuss basically combine and exacerbate this.

Probably really really for you considering the time you posted but that's not what they're saying. By using mechanics as a driving force for the game, you take an element of player knowledge of their job and class out and it focuses on how well they've learned they deal with a mechanic instead. T4 in Coil 1 is the perfect example of how mechanics can work in a fashion that emphasizes the player's skill and gear.

Where as say the Primals are very mechanics focused with attack rotations and insta-death. Regardless of how well you play or how good your gear is, you can usually get killed by not respecting the mechanics of the fight. Can't dodge Titan's plumes? gonna get blown up and etc.

Basically, they're advocating a design principle that allows players to become more effective as they grow with their job instead of just learning individual tricks for every fight. Simply making a fight strong is one way of thinking of it but it's not the basis of the concept, I think.

I still don't uderstand what skills are needed in T4 that aren't preminent in other turns. Is just a continuous DPS check, and very easily brute forced in consequence. For the tank? the hardest thing is phase transition (specially if you are OT), but phase transition and "add grabbing" is a part of many other Turns or bosses (Garuda or T6 specifically) and for DPS is just to maximize DPS and manage your CD effectively, something that is also very prevalent in many other Tunrs or bosses.

And never played healer on coil, but dosn't seem very different in terms of skills. In the end, Turn 4 was the easiest turn for a lot of groups, because as soon as people got some i90 gear it was just a walk in the park. Also is the most boring Turn so far, if that's what people want, then the game will be a borefest.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not sure removing mechanics will do anything other than make the fights significantly easier though, even with a presumed increase in the dps/tanking/healing requirements. I mean, there's some upsides to that- latency becomes much less of a factor- but people are usually pretty good at pushing buttons. It's stopping pushing buttons and moving around, or saving pushing buttons for a burst phase, or other things that pretty much all the difficulty in FFXIV comes from. I don't think that could change without an overhaul to the combat system even bigger than 1.0->2.0.

supergiz

Sorry for the delay!

But the important part it's his rotation. Makoto has an awesome rotation. I remember doing brayflox with you! :)

Combination of all three, TBH. The whole thing feels very same-y; you could chop up most of the dungeon and rearrange it and it wouldn't matter because there's no feel of progression or change during the whole thing. Gray stone hall, gray stone room, hall, some stairs, etc. The trash takes a while to die, but isn't tricky and doesn't do anything interesting. There's just a lot of it in interchangeable corridors and rooms. The bosses are okay, but largely unremarkable (CC has Chimera, which saves the dungeon for me; SV's bosses aren't on that level); I don't understand how a dungeon full of dragons comes off as ultimately so bland. SV winds up in this area where it's as samey to run as Tam-Tara, but at least with Tam-Tara I have aggro maintenance to keep me awake (especially with a low-level tank I can hop from target to target trying to balance out hate while still doing damage.) But by SV tanks can hold aggro and I have Quelling strikes, so... Meh. Maybe it's more fun for other classes? But for me, pass.

People dying on the boss due to stupidity or to trash because the tank decides he should be able to pull it like Bray doesn't make the dungeon good--it certainly doesn't make it inherently bad, but basic mechanics don't elevate it beyond boredom. It means it's usually frustrating with a bad group and totally uneventful with a good one. I'd argue the book thing is shitty design because if I'm in that situation again, I'm better off dying ASAP and forcing the whole team take a second crack at it, instead of trying to scratch out a victory and risking a win shortly after I'm dead.

All I really know is that SV is tied with Totorak for least favorite roulette assignment and I can't believe I'm going to voluntarily queue for it two days in a row.

yea, but that sounds like every other dungeon in this game. the big difference here is that you can't overpower it with sheer gear level, as it will be scaled down. that's what made Qarn, SV and AV more interesting originally. they felt like early end game dungeons. later dungeons did revert back to sastasha level pretty quick.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I think this issue wouldn't be an issue if Yoshi and the team copied some more of the better features of WoW. Mainly having norma, hard and extreme modes available to all dungeons and trails from the start. Each dropping their own ilvl of gear.

Always scratched my head why this was left out. Probably budget. But its one thing that is lacking.

Wilsongt

I think this issue wouldn't be an issue if Yoshi and the team copied some more of the better features of WoW. Mainly having norma, hard and extreme modes available to all dungeons and trails from the start. Each dropping their own ilvl of gear.

Always scratched my head why this was left out. Probably budget. But its one thing that is lacking.

I am sure we are getting there. I think SE wants to try to regain some money they lost on on 1.0 and the redevelopment of 2.0 before they start throwing more people at the team. Things will begin fleshing out soon.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
IWhen people say they want more focus on the job, they need to be more clear. What is it that we're not pushing to the brink as is with our jobs during Second Coil?

We have 2 Tanks, 5 DPS: 2 Melee/3 Ranged (2 of those being Magic), 2 Healers

All pre-set roles, that aren't customizable
Gear doesn't help vary out the classes, it just up the 1st and 2nd stat as much as possible, then you play with third and 4th stats to get your "BiS"

No gear sets which make a WAR stand out from another WAR, almost carbon copies running around, with maybe a few cross-class skills switched

Example a lot of end game WAR's want Parry, will do anything to get as much Parry as possible on them, they would rather rock an i90 head piece (crafted, Wolfram) penta-melded perfectly with III's-IV's cause the 2 head pieces that either the Soldiery or Coil 2 head piece doesn't give it to them
They can give up -3 in Defense/-3 Magic Defense, +6 STR and +8VIT for +21 Parry, + 21 Accuracy, +21 Crit, and maybe +"_" in Determination

Classes just follow a cookie cutter system and just keep following a set path
Why not let WAR's branch out into more of specialized version of themselves
The Gear sets would help either bolster said specialization or try to balance out the loss

Ken

There's no wiggle room and no recovery to win fights in the current system. You mess up a section, it's out of the pool to restart, lol.

This is true in some situations (Allagan Rot), but I don't believe every fight mechanic falls under it (most mechanics from T5).

T4 in Coil 1 is the perfect example of how mechanics can work in a fashion that emphasizes the player's skill and gear.

How so? I feel like T4 leans heavily towards player ability with mechanics taking a backseat; the only noteworthy mechanic in that fight is the interaction between bugs and Dreadnought IMO. That turn feels like a giant test on each player's understanding and execution of their role's fundamentals (cooldown management, threat generation, etc.) without mechanics getting in the way, honestly. I'd say the new turns are better examples of what you want over T4, but since you aren't familiar with them it'd be unfair of me to focus an argument around them.

As for gear, I will praise T4 for its flexibility for multiple successful strategies based on gear on the last phase.

Shouta

I can't really think of a way you can remove mechanics and preserve difficulty without resorting to awkward and antiqued fare like Everquest and Final Fantasy XI. Is there really such a desire to return to a period where it was mostly about who you knew and how much time you could dump in?

When people say they want more focus on the job, they need to be more clear. What is it that we're not pushing to the brink as is with our jobs during Second Coil?

It's probably possibly but I don't think any of us have put any real thought into designing encounters like that.

Who you knew and how much time you dump isn't a factor. The writer of that post didn't say to remove things that made it easier to link up with folks. It's just to move away from mechanics only.

I don't mean to be blunt about this, but there is content in the game that doesn't require all the pattern and mechanic memorization. Lower dungeons and CT are there and will continue to be added, and are a lot more forgiving to mistakes then coil, which is meant to cater to the kind of people that do enjoy that kind of mechanics heavy content design. There is actually a lot more content in the game that doesn't take that skill set, it's just that because of the nature of it it doesn't take weeks of learning to beat it, so it is less fulfilling. The second coil has a total of 4 mechanics heavy bosses that would have no longevity for the people that do them at all if they weren't the way they are.

CT and the dungeons being added aren't bad but they're really a content bridge to the real endgame. They really aren't great for maintaining the player base and helping to bridge the gap between the mainstream and the hardcore, in that blogger's words. In particular they become outdated as the game gets updates and are forgotten unless it becomes a part of a progression milestone for players. It kind of doesn't matter if it's not worth doing.

The approach that the original poster points out is for content moving forward. This is important because it's usually the top-end content, at some point, that becomes the lower and middle level content for a game as it gets updates. Even then that's only momentary. When it stops being worth it, then it gets ignored, etc etc. They are probably a couple of examples in XIV alone.

At any rate, I just don't understand why they would not apply that sensibility to the actual top-end content. My two favorite fights in 2.0 in my time with the game was the CT Boss, insta-kill mechanic aside, and the Tonberry King in WP. They have their twists but aren't over reliant on those mechanics. I mean they're dirt easy but they're pretty well-designed fights, IMO.

I still don't uderstand what skills are needed in T4 that aren't preminent in other turns. Is just a continuous DPS check, and very easily brute forced in consequence. For the tank? the hardest thing is phase transition (specially if you are OT), but phase transition and "add grabbing" is a part of many other Turns or bosses (Garuda or T6 specifically) and for DPS is just to maximize DPS and manage your CD effectively, something that is also very prevalent in many other Tunrs or bosses.

And never played healer on coil, but dosn't seem very different in terms of skills. In the end, Turn 4 was the easiest turn for a lot of groups, because as soon as people got some i90 gear it was just a walk in the park. Also is the most boring Turn so far, if that's what people want, then the game will be a borefest.

T4 is very no nonsense in regards to mechanics. It's much more responsive to the input of the players, essentially. The actions of the group are have a bigger impact on the fight itself than many other encounters in a variety of ways. Like from a DPS perspective, do i kill spiders really fast but risk lower resources? Do I kill slower and have more resources but risk more adds? Do I hit my buffs here or should I time for big one? Etc. These kinds of decisions affect the flow of the fight later on. I could probably keep going on about it but it'd end up being a really long post, lol

But compare this to Titan where the job of a DPS is to go nuts and just dodge a few plumes and landslides. Their actions have no direct change on the fight aside from killing the boss. You get changes when you aren't doing your job but that doesn't really count, lol.

I'm not sure removing mechanics will do anything other than make the fights significantly easier though, even with a presumed increase in the dps/tanking/healing requirements. I mean, there's some upsides to that- latency becomes much less of a factor- but people are usually pretty good at pushing buttons. It's stopping pushing buttons and moving around, or saving pushing buttons for a burst phase, or other things that pretty much all the difficulty in FFXIV comes from. I don't think that could change without an overhaul to the combat system even bigger than 1.0->2.0.

You could remove a few and increase the strength of the boss. Or redesign mechanics to work differently, etc. There's a lot you could do. Imagine if Titan's Heart ate all your MP if you didn't get it down (as someone in that thread mentioned). instead of insta-death? What if Ifrit was like His 1.0 version where his rotation was random aside from not using the same move twice? As I recall anyway. Stuff like that.

Going back to WP, that's an example of a fight that uses a mechanic where it's up to the player to deal with. Do I kill a lot of tonberries to prevent adds but risk my tank getting one-shotted? Do I not kill any and risk the the team getting stabbed in the throat, etc. Stuff like that can be challenging but fun because you're making decisions throughout.

This is true in some situations (Allagan Rot), but I don't believe every fight mechanic falls under it (most mechanics from T5).

How so? I feel like T4 leans heavily towards player ability with mechanics taking a backseat; the only noteworthy mechanic in that fight is the interaction between bugs and Dreadnought IMO. That turn feels like a giant test on each player's understanding and execution of their role's fundamentals (cooldown management, threat generation, etc.) without mechanics getting in the way, honestly. I'd say the new turns are better examples of what you want over T4, but since you aren't familiar with them it'd be unfair of me to focus an argument around them.

As for gear, I will praise T4 for its flexibility for multiple successful strategies based on gear on the last phase.

Titans' heart, Ifrit's Nails, Garuda Twins, Rot, The giant snake's stacks, ADS para can almost be that, lol. Ultima's beam spam. There are a lot of stuff where you mess up and no dice, you can't recover because it's too hard or it's insta-kill.

I think the bug and Dreadnought is simple and affects your decision making. Most want to kill as many bugs as possible but as a result, you end up eating up your resources fast. So how do I pace myself to beat it without eating it all up? Can we handle the Dnaut eating one bug? etc, etc. It interacts with the players very well. It's not very mechanic heavy but it's a big enough twist that it can affect how you go about it. That's kind of the mechanic that works the best.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I am sure we are getting there. I think SE wants to try to regain some money they lost on on 1.0 and the redevelopment of 2.0 before they start throwing more people at the team. Things will begin fleshing out soon.

Yeah. Im okay with this. Here's hoping!

Ken

Titans' heart, Ifrit's Nails, Garuda Twins, Rot, The giant snake's stacks, ADS para can almost be that, lol. Ultima's beam spam. There are a lot of stuff where you mess up and no dice, you can't recover because it's too hard or it's insta-kill.

Titan's Heart and Ifrit's Nails are just DPS checks not much different from Dreadnoughts in T4, so those are on players being able to put the required DPS while respecting everything else going on at the same time, so of course chances of recovery are slim or non-existent when failed. Snake stacks are pretty lenient even if you miss one slime application since Caduceus doesn't really start hurting until 3 or 4 stacks. Not super sure what you mean by Ultima's beam spam. High Voltage pre-nerf isn't so bad that it was an instant-wipe IMO. We really just need a distinction between mechanics that are hard checks versus mechanics that are simply punishing.

I think the bug and Dreadnought is simple and affects your decision making. Most want to kill as many bugs as possible but as a result, you end up eating up your resources fast. So how do I pace myself to beat it without eating it all up? Can we handle the Dnaut eating one bug? etc, etc. It interacts with the players very well. It's not very mechanic heavy but it's a big enough twist that it can affect how you go about it. That's kind of the mechanic that works the best.

Sure, I see what you mean now. Some of this player decision creeps up in the new turns, IMO (zerging T6, pushing phases in T7, towers in T8).

Alex

It's probably possibly but I don't think any of us have put any real thought into designing encounters like that.

Who you knew and how much time you dump isn't a factor. The writer of that post didn't say to remove things that made it easier to link up with folks. It's just to move away from mechanics only.

Oh, I meant that in reference to Everquest and it's spawn. Those games were about connections and they were about timesinks. They had very simple combat and very simple mechanics but they were full of very meaningful brick walls due to the intense formation needs and the level of equipment and preparation you had to have. That entire article to me pretty much read like a rosy eyed glance back at Everquest-likes, of which Final Fantasy XI was one and while I liked XI it always seems like this community has it's members who can not, will not let that game go. I mean, tastes are tastes, I have plenty of ones, but I always thought the old model was a really unhealthy one so I don't have a lot of empathy for the situation.

Trying to adapt, at least under the modern veneer XIV runs (aka; WoW-like) I just really don't think it's possible to adopt much that style at all without upending the rest. People would tear this stuff apart in a weekend unless you gated the hell out of them and had your community calling for your head. Considering that raid design and tuning is one of the most expensive elements of an overly expensive sub-genre, I do think it would have been given some attempts if there was something that could be done with it, too.I would strongly agree with anyone who says it's time for a new style of MMO rather than just mildly different takes on the existing but this is like the last game and the last company I would expect to see push that forward.

When it comes down to it, I think that Second Coil does a pretty great job of stressing the hell out of your equipment / personal output and lays out a lot of great, unique mechanics that are a lot of fun. I really feel like changes to encounter design are very sincerely the very last thing the game needs, especially when i kinda needs a lot right now. Heck, I've become a pretty casual player nowadays and I simply have nothing of merit to do unless it's a raid night, currently.Hopefully 2.28 and 2.3 help, but a simple task that would make me happy is them untangling their somewhat thoughtless mixture of XI's job swapping and WoW's lockout/point systems. Would love to play my alt, too bad I can't!

Is it so much to ask for one big budget rip-off of late 90s Ultima Online?

Shouta

Titan's Heart and Ifrit's Nails are just DPS checks not much different from Dreadnoughts in T4, so those are on players being able to put the required DPS while respecting everything else going on at the same time, so of course chances of recovery are slim or non-existent when failed. Snake stacks are pretty lenient even if you miss one slime application since Caduceus doesn't really start hurting until 3 or 4 stacks. Not super sure what you mean by Ultima's beam spam. High Voltage pre-nerf isn't so bad that it was an instant-wipe IMO. We really just need a distinction between mechanics that are hard checks versus mechanics that are simply punishing.

Sure, I see what you mean now.

It's from the recovery perspective of it, remember. Heart and Nails are insta-wipe so if you don't beat them, you're dead regardless. Dreadnaughts are a little different because while ridiculously buff and likely to kill you, you can prolong it enough to make a recovery sometimes.

Snake stacks and Ultima Beam spam are fairly similar. While not instant death, you're very unlikely to recover from them if they get out of hand. Voltage can be not too bad but being unable to cure it was really woof. If they made the attack go off regardless but the Para curable, then you'd create a mechanic that the WHM or SCH has to worry about as they heal and more decisions they need to make. Those decisions can then change the path of the fight, etc.

Epcott

I registered on the gaf guildwork site and applied for GAF GC on Ultros. My name there is Jeor Wynter.

How long is the turnaround on registration? Will it go easier since I was once a member before?

I was going to transfer my lvl 50 Excalibur toon but I figure, I already beat the main quest with that toon, why not start from scratch?

Shouta

i dont know what the argument is anymore lol

aeana be mai waifu

tl:dr Design battles so they're more dynamic. We don't want folks being sad and angry when the entire thing goes sour when one or two people die. You're pushing everyone out!

is the point of the JP post, lol.

Ken

tl:dr Design battles so they're more dynamic. We don't want folks being sad and angry when the entire thing goes sour when one or two people die. You're pushing everyone out!

I don't think the bolded is true in all instances though, at least it shouldn't always lead to a reset. I've seen some sloppy T4s, T5s, and T7s that still end in a win because I don't think most mechanics are as strict as the JP post purports. Not to say there aren't strict mechanics because there definitely are, but I'd at least wait for the final Coil before calling for drastic overhaul on design philosophies because for me personally, I believe the existing Coil encounters have been fine in terms of enjoyment and challenge.

Sophia

I've seen my fair share of T4s and T5s that start off poorly, and end in a win. That said, I would like less instant death mechanics seeing as other people are incapable of handling them for whatever reason.

This doesn't apply at all to Coil 6-9. Granted I haven't beat T9 yet, I've seen quite a few videos of T9 where a group loses a couple people and still recovers and gets the win though.

Shouta

I don't think the bolded is true in all instances though, at least it shouldn't always lead to a reset. I've seen some sloppy T4s, T5s, and T7s that still end in a win because I don't think most mechanics are as strict as the JP post purports. Not to say there aren't strict mechanics because there definitely are, but I'd at least wait for the final Coil before calling for drastic overhaul on design philosophies because for me personally, I believe the existing Coil encounters have been fine.

This doesn't apply at all to Coil 6-9. Granted I haven't beat T9 yet, I've seen quite a few videos of T9 where a group loses a couple people and still recovers and gets the win though.

He's basically speaking about the community aspect in that section. One screw up and everyone in non-LS groups get pissed and disband, it's toxic to the community and all that jazz.

Ken

He's basically speaking about the community aspect in that section. One screw up and everyone in non-LS groups get pissed and disband, it's toxic to the community and all that jazz.

And dynamic encounters will fix that? If anything, it'd probably decrease the number of pug groups successfully clearing turns. Pre-Echo, I was much more apprehensive about joining PFs for T4 than I was for T6 simply because everyone has their own "right way" of running the turn which leads to no one being on the right page.

that dumb double dreadnought strat (shudders)

---

I mean, I'd be open for more dynamic encounters certainly just to have more varied experiences, but I don't think they're a good solution to fixing a toxic community if that's why they're being added. Can Moogle Extreme Mode be considered dynamic?

Alucrid

Banned
And dynamic encounters will fix that? If anything, it'd probably decrease the number of pug groups successfully clearing turns. Pre-Echo, I was much more apprehensive about joining PFs for T4 than I was for T6 simply because everyone has their own "right way" of running the turn which leads to no one being on the right page.

that dumb double dreadnought strat (shudders)

whats wrong with our strat

never been in a situation where one screw up caused a disband

Shouta

And dynamic encounters will fix that?

In a roundabout way, yes. Dynamic fights means that different strategies can be created, emphasis on individual player response becomes more important, and you can observe and react to what's going on which usually means there's room for error. It gives players more time to control and respond which makes them feel less frustrated when someone screws up. It feels like they have the ability to affect the situation.

I mean assholes gonna be assholes but at least it'd be less of a frustrating for the more temperate minded folk (that aren't buddha). lol

whats wrong with our strat

never been in a situation where one screw up caused a disband

LS only? If so, you got lucky, lol

Ken

In a roundabout way, yes. Dynamic fights means that different strategies can be created, emphasis on individual player response becomes more important, and you can observe and react to what's going on which usually means there's room for error. It gives players more time to control and respond which makes them feel less frustrated when someone screws up. It feels like they have the ability to affect the situation.

I mean assholes gonna be assholes but at least it'd be less of a frustrating for the more temperate minded folk (that aren't buddha). lol

Honestly that sounds a lot like Moogle EM which is the one fight I dread ever doing in a PF without some type of elitist comment.

also from the JP post

Would you want to pass Allagan Rot with 16 people? There's not enough room. Want to do Twister with 16 people? Voice/Shriek with 16 people? Forget it.

i would pay monies for an endurance test of these

CT and the dungeons being added aren't bad but they're really a content bridge to the real endgame. They really aren't great for maintaining the player base and helping to bridge the gap between the mainstream and the hardcore, in that blogger's words. In particular they become outdated as the game gets updates and are forgotten unless it becomes a part of a progression milestone for players. It kind of doesn't matter if it's not worth doing.

The approach that the original poster points out is for content moving forward. This is important because it's usually the top-end content, at some point, that becomes the lower and middle level content for a game as it gets updates. Even then that's only momentary. When it stops being worth it, then it gets ignored, etc etc. They are probably a couple of examples in XIV alone.

At any rate, I just don't understand why they would not apply that sensibility to the actual top-end content. My two favorite fights in 2.0 in my time with the game was the CT Boss, insta-kill mechanic aside, and the Tonberry King in WP. They have their twists but aren't over reliant on those mechanics. I mean they're dirt easy but they're pretty well-designed fights, IMO.

There are a few separate points being made there, one in particular I agree with, in that the current way content is pushed out for the game instances are getting ignored really fast when the next set comes. This is something this game does really badly in particular, how fast they make old content obsolete. It may have something to do with the token turn in system, or how the only things on gear is straight stats with clear "better than" scenarios.

But it is also a problem with the two fights you mentioned in a way and part of my point. No one who plays the game would clear to the last boss in CT or do Tonberry King after a few times if they didn't have gear to get from them. Both of those encounters can be beaten in under an hour by a full group of people who haven't done them before. Yes they are both very fun, the first time/first ten times, but even that is lets say 10 hours tops. I have spent weeks in the second coil, a place with only 4 unique encounters. Another encounter like turn 4 would be a cakewalk now even if it was scaled up to current gear levels. All the things that that specific encounter makes you do in relation to your class rolls are still things most of the mechanics heavy fights make you do but with the extra burden of the mechanics. Sure there are some that get too caught up in the dance, like turn 7.

The main problem is getting longevity out of the limitations of this kind of gameplay. There really isn't a lack of content for the people that aren't into the primal/coil kind of unforgiving fights, its just that that kind of content is far to easy to complete. Just because you play the game doesn't mean that every single piece of content should be designed to cater to your play style either. There is no reason for people to try to force themselves to do the coils if that isn't what they enjoy to do, or to feel entitled to the items that drop from them just because they play the game. This doesn't have anything to do with anything you are talking about though.

Shouta

Honestly that sounds a lot like Moogle EM which is the one fight I dread ever doing in a PF without some type of elitist comment.

The community really embraced that junk from the get go. I PUG a lot in MMOs because of schedules with other folks I play with and all that so I'm used to a bit of asshat-ness but DF Primals right after launch were almost too much for my thick skin. First time I went into Ifrit and I didn't know the fight, I got hit a few times with the rush because I couldn't spot the guy and the tank had an aneurysm. Good thing on I got the claws for my MNK on the first try. lol

Ken

The community really embraced that junk from the get go. I PUG a lot in MMOs because of schedules with other folks I play with and all that so I'm used to a bit of asshat-ness but DF Primals right after launch were almost too much for my thick skin. First time I went into Ifrit and I didn't know the fight, I got hit a few times with the rush because I couldn't spot the guy and the tank had an aneurysm. Good thing on I got the claws for my MNK on the first try. lol

ah, the days when darklight ruled the world and stripping armor to grief groups for repair costs was a thing

DF EM Primals is always an adventure. No one will say if they are new or anything until after about 30 minutes of wipes and by then I can't be bothered anymore and go do something productive.

Our FC finally got a large house. So excited :D

HUNGD5M.jpg

Teknoman

Maybe I can finally schedule a friday catch up day...weekend off for the first time in awhile.

It was supposed to be fridays right?

Probably because they want to tie every mechanic into the story. Even when the monsters models got bigger, they tied it into Dalamud.

scosher

I feel part of the reason FFXIV has so many insta-death / party wipe mechanics is because of the prevalence of a no-cooldown combat rez available to healers and SMN's. Losing someone in a raid isn't as big of a consequence as it is in other MMO's, where you had a limited number of combat rezzes available, on a long 10 to 30 minute cooldown. So games like WoW were a bit more lenient on mechanics, but dying was more final, and would inevitably lead to a wipe if you lost too many in the raid.

In other words, FFXIV gives the player less room for error, but allows the raid to recover from mistakes with a quick battle rez. WoW gave the individual player more room for error, but made recovery from deaths more difficult for the raid.

Communities would still be elitists though and bitch at people who died too often for dragging the raid down. Honestly, they just need to add a two-tier structure to all content, so we have a normal mode and hardmode difficulty level for Coil, CT, etc. You can't create one content that appeases both the casual and hardcore community at once.

WolvenOne

My two cents on Stone Vigil.

Honestly I don't mind the dungeon. It's a bit long, but with all those reasonably high level mobs it's a decent dungeon for leveling up.

Granted though, I haven't ran it terribly often. Unless I'm leveling I don't run LLDRs very often, and I don't really DF dungeons directly under normal circumstances. Even Aurum Vale isn't that bad if you go in with people you know, since at least then you know nobody is going to Whig out if things go pear shaped.

Honestly though, in the subject of AV, even that wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the level synch.

AV is essentially an end game dungeon, but because of that synch, you're never going to be able to out-gear the place. So you always need to go slow with the mobs, can never ignore mechanics, and so on and so forth.

Going into AV always reminds me of my first few undergeared runs through AK, and very few people have the patience for that it seems.

Edit: This isn't meant to be a slight against the community. It's just that, you need to go through the dungeon a bit slowly, so that means cautious small pulls. A lot of groups forget that and end up pulling far more mobs than you can handle.

Alex

Coil should probably have Normal and Hard and Crystal Tower should probably also have Normal and Hard. Content is somewhat lacking at both ends, there's no point to use an entire raid to cater to only one group of people.

Right now I'd say Second Coil is tuned to around somewhere between Normal and Heroic back from when I played Warcraft. Depending on your outlook it can be just right or quite awkward. For me, nowadays at least, I think it feels pretty right but for more casual players it can be devastating and we're still seeing the few higher end guilds dismantle it like it was nothing.

I think they said they're adding some super high end boss that'll just provide titles. I assume that's their take on Algalon although just a title is kind of blah. Use those artists and make some crazy mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom